Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 275
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 890,602 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!)
Reply #1850 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

<  ---- Some Guy    .... ?!  ... !!!!!   :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-unused-bully-pulpit-1501542359?mod=e2two

" Trump’s Unused Bully Pulpit "

" As Reagan proved, there’s nothing as powerful as an Oval Office address. "

By William McGurn

" Not yet a week after the most extravagant Republican Party botch since the Bill Clinton impeachment, Beltway fingers are still pointing. And why not? The failure to make good on seven years’ worth of ObamaCare repeal promises has many fathers.

Take your pick. Sen. John McCain’s pique. The squishiness of those such as Sen. Rob Portman who voted for repeal when it didn’t matter, and then voted nay when it did. Behind-the-scenes undermining by governors such as Ohio’s John Kasich. A GOP bereft of party discipline.

There is truth to all these. Even so, perhaps the most obvious reason goes almost unmentioned: The Republican bills were unpopular.

This does not mean they were bad bills, notwithstanding the many compromises lawmakers included. It does mean that their merits went mostly unsold to the public. This allowed Democrats and their allies to paint the bills as but the latest Republican attempt to rob from the poor ($800 billion in Medicaid cuts) to give to the rich ($600 billion in tax cuts).

Even more astounding is that as this narrative took hold the president of the United States neglected the greatest bully pulpit of all: the Oval Office.

Notwithstanding his flaws, Donald Trump has proved himself able to connect with voters, especially those who voted for Barack Obama, in a way other Republicans have not. But the Trump White House has yet to recognize the unique punch a formal, televised address from behind the desk of the Oval Office still carries, even in the age of Twitter .

Ronald Reagan’s use of the Oval to push his tax cuts through in 1981 is a textbook example. Yes, the Gipper schmoozed those on the opposite side of the aisle. He had to, given that Democrats controlled the House. But as likeable as he was, folks on both sides of the political aisle were skeptical about his proposed tax cuts.

In a July 27 Oval Office address, Reagan made his pitch. In simple language, he gently mocked the Democratic leadership claims that their bill “gives a greater break to the workers than ours.” He said the whole controversy came down to whose money it was—the people who earned it or the government that wanted to spend it. And his call for Americans to “contact your senators and congressmen” to urge them to vote for his tax cuts touched off what Speaker Tip O’Neill described as a “telephone blitz like this nation has never seen.”

Though it’s now popular to reminisce about the warm cuddly Reagan who put partisanship aside, that’s not the way it was seen at the time. The day after his speech, the New York Times reported Reagan had “engaged in a series of partisan attacks on his opponents on Capitol Hill.”

It worked: Two days later the Democratic House approved the Reagan administration’s tax cuts by a comfortable margin.

What does this mean for Mr. Trump? It’s probably too late now for health care. But it might have been a different story if President Trump had used a televised, White House address to explain that the Republican goal was a bill that would help drive down costs, lower insurance premiums, and undo mandates forcing Americans to buy products they don’t want.

Some suggest Mr. Trump does not have the mastery of detail to pull it off. But a president does not need to be a policy wonk. One big thing he can do is simply to push back on the falsehoods.

Imagine, for example, if Mr. Trump had pointed out that the accusation Republicans were cutting Medicaid was classic Swampspeak: In fact, spending would still go up every year, albeit at a slower rate. For good measure, he might have contrasted the Republican faith in the wisdom of the American people with the admission by a chief architect of ObamaCare that it owed its passage to a “lack of transparency” and “the stupidity of the American voter.”

In fairness, Mr. Trump did make calls, bring in senators and speak at his rallies. Even so, nothing quite matches the prestige of an address from his desk, where the president speaks directly to the entire American people. Unlike his rallies, generally limited to his most ardent supporters, even many of those who detest the president would tune in for a prime-time, Oval Office address.

This is not about blaming Mr. Trump for the failure to repeal ObamaCare. It is about pointing him to a huge presidential asset that went unused in a key contest involving Republican credibility.

Democrats are now gearing up to run the same class narrative against the Republicans on tax reform they did on ObamaCare. If the president wishes to avoid another embarrassment, he might put down his smartphone for a moment and start thinking of how to use the Oval Office to ensure the coming debate on taxes is argued on his terms and not the opposition’s.  "

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017 at 8:16am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1851 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:12pm
I feel like we haven't sussed this whole Trump thing out.  The whole discussion is too high on rhetoric, lacking in substance.  I'll continue to try to lead us out of the depths of ballbagittry.  Ballbagittry.  Ballbagidism.  Ballsinabag.  Ballsinanuproar.  Mondo.  Mondo hondo.  Mondo rhymes with hondo.  Goddam thing, fucking keyboard.  WTF?  It keeps doing it.  Fucking thing.  I will continue to try and lead the discussion toward more civil and rational tones.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1852 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:10am

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017 at 4:10am by MrPleasant »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1853 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:24am
  Here's a joke: what's not right? EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017 at 4:12am by MrPleasant »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1854 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:41am
MrPleasant wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:24am:

Let's not speculate.  Wait until all the facts are in.

Mondo? 

LSD use is rampant in the U.S.  It's like a epidemic.  People walking around all gooned on acid.  Health authorities don't know what the fuck to do.  Most of them are on acid too.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1855 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 1:37pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:41am:

Mondo? 

LSD use is rampant in the U.S.  It's like a epidemic.  People walking around all gooned on acid.  Health authorities don't know what the fuck to do.  Most of them are on acid too.

Sir Moonie  ,

There are Two Rules of Warfare :

1. ) Never March On Moscow . General Winter is KILLER and will get you every single time (  ........... just ask Hitler and / or Napoleon ) .

2. ) Do Not Get Caught in a Land War in Asia . There are too Damn Many of them and they do not know any better  -- waves and waves of Orientals   ..... so many you begin to see them in your sleep  (  ............ just ask Truman and / or LBJ  ) . Nasty !

" Hit Me Ronnie Cakes  !!!!!   "

J . " Milhous "  Nixon
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017 at 2:28pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1856 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 4:27pm

Mondo? 

Why Americans Love President Donald J. Trump ( '  Dear Leader !  ' )   :

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1857 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:24pm
I hear you, Joe.  The prejudice against Russians on this board sickens my mince.  All this anti-Russian bigotry has me sick like a goddam animal over here.  It's like these people forgot our brave Russian friends helped us defeat the German cancer of the last century.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1858 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:45pm
Joey wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 1:37pm:

Mondo? 

Sir Moonie  ,

There are Two Rules of Warfare :

1. ) Never March On Moscow . General Winter is KILLER and will get you every single time (  ........... just ask Hitler and / or Napoleon ) .

2. ) Do Not Get Caught in a Land War in Asia . There are too Damn Many of them and they do not know any better  -- waves and waves of Orientals   ..... so many you begin to see them in your sleep  (  ............ just ask Truman and / or LBJ  ) . Nasty !

" Hit Me Ronnie Cakes  !!!!!   "

J . " Milhous "  Nixon

a great uncle was on the russian front word
they fired patton
he wanted to fight the russians
they fired macarthur well the story is still developing
LBJ let LSD fail so its his fault
i will be always thankful for that gesture nixon made
but the generals talked him out of it

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1859 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:29pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:24pm:
I hear you, Joe.  The prejudice against Russians on this board sickens my mince.  All this anti-Russian bigotry has me sick like a goddam animal over here.  It's like these people forgot our brave Russian friends helped us defeat the German cancer of the last century.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1860 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:29pm
I hear you, Mooj.  All these anti-Russian bigots in here, probably hate freedom too.  They hate Russia so much, that they blame the Allies for WWII.  They think you get a pass for the Germain genocide, which our species (sapien) will never recover from.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1861 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:35pm

<  ----- Some Guy   ?!  ... !!!!!   :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-white-house-c-word-1501711817

" The White House C-Words   "

" Words unheard from Anthony Scaramucci: credibility, coherence and consistency.   "

By Daniel Henninger

" Years from now, anthropologists will struggle to explain how Anthony Scaramucci became a household name. Or how the country’s political culture came to obsess over Sean Spicer and Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

These cultural excavators will try to explain to baffled students that in 2017, during the Age of Twitter , the Trump White House had a seemingly insoluble “communications problem.” The anthropologists will describe how after a series of public firings, the president decided that the “Celebrity Apprentice” phase of his presidency was finally over. And that with the appointment of retired four-star Marine Gen. John Kelly as White House chief of staff, President Trump signaled the time had arrived for focused seriousness.

Enough with the August reveries. We are living through a time of cultural evanescence, and there’s no reason why that should not include the easy-come, easy-go White House careers of Anthony Scaramucci and the others.

The danger of a pop-culture presidency is that real events, including political land mines, don’t get noticed. This week, the Trump presidency had a near-death experience.

It wasn’t the health-care failure. That left the Republican Party, not Donald Trump, with one foot in the grave. The noteworthy event for Mr. Trump was the vote in the House and Senate to impose sanctions on Russia, Iran and North Korea.

The sanctions themselves are notable, but the big story was the extraordinary vote totals. In the House, the sanctions bill passed 419-3 and 98-2 in the Senate.

No other issue in the political firmament would produce such lopsided votes, and the reason for it wasn’t Russia. This was a no-confidence vote in a sitting American president. One Republican senator told us privately, “We just don’t trust him on Russia.” A second senator independently confirmed the vote was a hedge against Mr. Trump’s chameleon-like behavior on Vladimir Putin.

Incidentally, a short memo about that sanctions vote for the progressive celebrities still weeping about the “death of our democracy”: The American system of checks and balances works. With the Obama White House, which tried to reorder the country by executive decree, constraints came from the judicial branch. The Russia sanctions vote shows that the checks on Mr. Trump, if necessary, will be legislative.

What is happening here in midsummer is that the Trump presidential adventure has arrived at another of its routine tipping points. Indeed, Mr. Trump’s most remarkable attribute may be that he has a gyroscopic ability not to tip over completely. After caroming around for a week with White House departures, the president appointed Mr. Kelly, whose job description while leading the Marines in Iraq’s Anbar Province included getting things done with powerful tribal chiefs. He should get along fine with Donald Trump.

Far be it from me to load the future of the republic onto John Kelly, but a lot of people in government just now are in duty-to-country mode.

There will be no plea or expectation here for Mr. Kelly to get control of the White House’s fratricidal leaks. The modern press standard for anonymity is that there is no standard. No name, no problem. The no-name bombshell stories fill the clickbait needs of an internet-dependent media and the political pathologies of their sources. It’s Beltway binge-watching, and Mr. Kelly should ignore it—unless he can find a leaker to put up against a wall.

Instead, Mr. Kelly’s new job is to deploy across the Trump White House the three c-words that Anthony Scaramucci did not use in his New Yorker interview: credibility, coherence and consistency. Without them, no American presidency can succeed or survive as a functioning political force.

Credibility arrives with Mr. Kelly’s résumé. Coherence—OK, maybe I’m overreaching with that one. Consistency, however, is crucial.

To avoid a humiliating override of his veto, Mr. Trump signed the sanctions bill Thursday, declaring many provisions are “clearly unconstitutional.” Maybe so. But policy inconsistency produced the anti-Trump sanctions votes. It happened because of the most troubling thing Mr. Trump said during the campaign—his recurring, never-explained compliments for Mr. Putin.

We suppose it’s possible that, like Rosebud in “Citizen Kane,” Robert Mueller’s investigations will find some vestigial explanation for Mr. Trump’s Putin fascination. Of late, though, the Trump administration’s Russia policy has become unequivocal.

This week, Vice President Mike Pence is delivering strong statements of strategic support in Estonia, Georgia and Montenegro, accusing Russia of “undermining democracies”—even as Moscow prepares a massive military exercise involving 100,000 troops on NATO’s periphery.

Signing the sanctions bill, Mr. Trump said, “As President, I can make far better deals with foreign countries than Congress.” We’ll see. Beyond Russia for Mr. Trump lies the need to create policies for North Korea and Syria. If he lets his new chief of staff install credibility, coherence and consistency as standard operating procedure for this White House, he’ll never have to sign another sanctions bill.   "
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:13am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1862 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:01pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:29pm:
I hear you, Mooj.  All these anti-Russian bigots in here, probably hate freedom too.  They hate Russia so much, that they blame the Allies for WWII.  They think you get a pass for the Germain genocide, which our species (sapien) will never recover from. 

The Germans killed 28 MILLION Russians in WWII Moonie .

TWENTY - EIGHT MILLION !!!!!!

"  WWII was won with Russian Blood and American Money  , Ronnie !!!!!   "

Jacky ™
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:56am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #1863 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:35pm
I know this isn't a serious thread, but let's talk about gun control for a sec, mmkay?

I woke up this morning to the sound of the woman next door screaming, "Please stop hitting me!" Naturally, I called the police. Since I was unarmed, I didn't go out there. I didn't know who assaulted her but knew whoever it was would have a pretty good idea who called cops. So I purchased a gun less than 2 hours later.

Yes, of course it was her husband. No, of course she didn't press charges. Yes, he figured out it was me who called the cops. So here I am tonight, new gun beside me, eating sugar-free candy. God fucking bless Kentucky. In many states, even a widow living alone like me, would have to wait several days to get a gun. And what would I have done in the meantime? Pray?

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1864 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:29am
Trumps team in the White House brings back memories of an old TV show....The Beverly Hillbillies.sadly Trump himself is playing Jethro and not Jed.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1865 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:42am
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:29am:
Trumps team in the White House brings back memories of an old TV show....The Beverly Hillbillies.sadly Trump himself is playing Jethro and not Jed.

Well, you can say that about virtually anybody at one time or another.

Care to elaborate ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1866 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 9:26am
Score this round for Stephen Miller, starts getting heavy around 3:20

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1867 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:16am
Edith Grove wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:42am:
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:29am:

Well, you can say that about virtually anybody at one time or another.

Care to elaborate ?

Well I could point out all of his lies or lack of any meaningful accomplishments. One thing to elect someone because you want change. Another thing altogether when your choice has no clue about how to get things done. Granny would be more effective.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1868 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:01pm
Are we supposed to be pro-leaker or anti-leaker?  They come up with some good stuff.  The leakers, that is.  The leakers come up with some quality stuff.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1869 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:28pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:01pm:
Are we supposed to be pro-leaker or anti-leaker?  They come up with some good stuff.  The leakers, that is.  The leakers come up with some quality stuff.

there will always be leakers....don't want something known...don't tell anyone. Don't want problems? Then don't do or say anything that is wrong or can bite you in the ass .Leaking highly classified intel that jeopardizes lives etc is a crime and should be prosecuted to the fullest regardless of party or standing etc
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:30pm by gimmekeef »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1870 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:39pm
Without leaking, we wouldn't know what a den of degeneracyism that New Hampshire is.  That state makes me sick.  Degeneracyism has no place in the New America.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1871 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:05pm
The leakers of yesteryear were not as cool as the current crop of leakers.  That Scooter Libby guy - what a fishbag.  Sold out his own country for Israel.  He should be pelted with liquid piss and excoriated.  Zio-bag.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1872 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:06pm
So you guys want to hear a joke?  It's kind of racist, but 90% of you can understand it in the context it's offered.  A few of you may spazz, but hey, that's why your family doesn't like you in the first place.

So I'm in North Florida looking at some land I may buy (for a hydroponic methamphetamine lab), and a Southern gentleman is showing me around.  "Reviewing the trespasses" as they say.  So we get to a particular part of the domain with acres of long grass - the kind of grass in which chiggers thrive.  For those of you who don't know what a chigger is, it's a small mite that burrows into human skin causing awful rashes in those affected.  So the guy showing me around says "we'll stop here, that field is full of chiggers, or as you Yankees call them 'chegroes.'"  I thought it was pretty funny for some Southern cracker.  Southerners have low IQs in general, and this guy was attempting to push his intellectual limits.  I had to laugh at the word play.  Clever.

Did I already tell you guys that one?  I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself.  Tough day at work.  I caused a scene in the break room.  There may be repercussions.  I took all the yogurt out of the fridge and stomped on it.  Yogurt splotches all over the place.  Then I put a coffee filter on my head, and started throwing bananas around, busting one of the flourescent lights.  This one guy tried to get me to calm down so I stuffed his breakfast burrito down the back of his shirt.  He was pissed!  Fucking reported me.  I'm going to smack that fucking narc upside the back of his face next time I see him.  To be honest though, I'm not sure they are going to keep me around after this one.  There have been many incidents in the past regarding my behavior.  I may have fucked up the camel's neck this time.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:13pm by sirmoonie »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1873 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:33pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:06pm:
Southerners have low IQs in general

WHAT ??!!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1874 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:40pm
This other incident happened right around Christmas.  They hired this new guy up in HR.  I hate those HR fucks, always getting in the way.  And this guy wore Dockers and blue shirts every day, like he worked for IBM in the 70s.  Anyway, I grabbed a large pack of Kraft cheese slices, slathered them in mayonnaise and stuck them all over the walls of his office.  He fucking blew a gasket, I swear. Stomping around the office like a bungadilla demanding to know "who cheese and mayonaissed my office?!?!  Picture of my wife with cheese smacks?!?!  Who did this???"  Aspersions were cast on me in quick order, just because of this other stuff I did.  Nobody gives a guy a second chance.  I got fifty shades of indignant.  I don't sit for this stuff lightly, people trying to besmirchalize my integrity.  I stepped up and denied vehemently what I had done.  Not going to let these uptight bastards fuck with me.  I swear to J.Christ I will not let them.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:42pm by sirmoonie »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 275
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)