Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 276
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 894,739 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!)
Reply #2425 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:13am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
     " With the Indiana primary drawing nearer , Bobby's hope was to carry a substantial white vote that would match his dominant strength among African Americans . He saw it as a positive sign when he experienced appreciative welcomes from both groups in Gary , Indiana , four days before voters would go to the polls .
     There , he rode in a convertible seated between Mayor Richard Hatcher , the city's first African American leader , and Gary's most famous citizen , the prizefighter Tony Zale . Known as the ' Man of Steel ' for the mills where he had once worked and always had lived near , Zale was a two - time middleweight champion . Bobby would end the day with his own hands bloody , cuff links and even shoes missing , so frenzied were his reaching fans . ' That being touched all the time , ' he told a reporter . ' I do not like it . But people can hear everything about a candidate ; and it is the touching him they never forget . ' 
     ' The people here were fair to me , ' he said late on election eve . ' They gave me a chance . They listened to me . If they do not like you they let you know ; if they do like you they let you know that  , too .  '
     In the end , Bobby Kennedy won the Indiana Democratic primary , receiving 42 percent of the vote . The popular governor , Roger Branigin , running as a favorite son , won 31 percent , Senator McCarthy 28 .
     Richard Goodwin , who had left the McCarthy campaign and returned to the Kennedy fold , believed Bobby had found his message . ' His inner urge toward defiance -- of unjust privilege , indifferent power , concentrated wealth , which provide so much hatred among some -- was also the source of his greatest strength , arousing the hopes and expectations of millions who felt themselves victimized . '
     As Bobby himself saw it : ' I have proved I can really be a leader of a broad spectrum . I can be a bridge between blacks and whites without stepping back from my positions . ' "    

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:24am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2426 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:33am
Joey wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:13am:
     " With the Indiana primary drawing nearer , Bobby's hope was to carry a substantial white vote that would match his dominant strength among African Americans . He saw it as a positive sign when he experienced appreciative welcomes from both groups in Gary , Indiana , four days before voters would go to the polls .
     There , he rode in a convertible seated between Mayor Richard Hatcher , the city's first African American leader , and Gary's most famous citizen , the prizefighter Tony Zale . Known as the ' Man of Steel ' for the mills where he had once worked and always had lived near , Zale was a two - time middleweight champion . Bobby would end the day with his own hands bloody , cuff links and even shoes missing , so frenzied were his reaching fans . ' That being touched all the time , ' he told a reporter . ' I do not like it . But people can hear everything about a candidate ; and it is the touching him they never forget . ' 
     ' The people here were fair to me , ' he said late on election eve . ' They gave me a chance . They listened to me . If they do not like you they let you know ; if they do like you they let you know that  , too .  '
     In the end , Bobby Kennedy won the Indiana Democratic primary , receiving 42 percent of the vote . The popular governor , Roger Branigin , running as a favorite son , won 31 percent , Senator McCarthy 28 .
     Richard Goodwin , who had left the McCarthy campaign and returned to the Kennedy fold , believed Bobby had found his message . ' His inner urge toward defiance -- of unjust privilege , indifferent power , concentrated wealth , which provide so much hatred among some -- was also the source of his greatest strength , arousing the hopes and expectations of millions who felt themselves victimized . '
     As Bobby himself saw it : ' I have proved I can really be a leader of a broad spectrum . I can be a bridge between blacks and whites without stepping back from my positions . ' "    

Most Protestants don't consider Catholics to be be real Christians.  That is a fact.

It is questionable whether Fat-Americans are actually Christians.  Proverbs 23:2 is cited as evidence against the fatties who want to pretend.

No actual Christians consider Mormons to be Christians.  There is Biblical support, and other support, backing that position.

Many posters on RO are of low IQ.  There is factual support for that observation.  Many are also fat ("fatties").

Jews are not Christians, by definition.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2427 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 8:54am
sirmoonie wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:33am:
Most Protestants don't consider Catholics to be be real Christians.  That is a fact.

It is questionable whether Fat-Americans are actually Christians.  Proverbs 23:2 is cited as evidence against the fatties who want to pretend.

No actual Christians consider Mormons to be Christians.  There is Biblical support, and other support, backing that position.

Many posters on RO are of low IQ.  There is factual support for that observation.  Many are also fat ("fatties").

moonie ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2428 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 9:51am
Some Guy wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:06pm:
I grew up in a lower income, predominantly black neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Shit, White Christmas you a lie...

Need another Laugh  ?!  ... !!!!!    Howe about Pocahontas ?!   :

FUNNY !!!!   Smiley    Young Joey bursts out laughing once again here at the office , lifts up his right butt cheek and passes gas whilst belching up Gin ( See : Ed McMahon )  .

What .... ?!  .... More  .... ?!   .... SURE !!!!!  :

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky Cakes ™
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:30pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2429 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:04pm
sirmoonie wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:33am:
Joey wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:13am:

rubbish
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:34am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #2430 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 10:58am
Good luck to all the young ladies of Alabama today. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

And seriously, Alabama, when it comes to protesting the awful jokes about y'all down there, shut your damn mouths. Y'all got it coming.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2431 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 2:39pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2432 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 2:59pm

<   --------------- 
  OMG !!!!!    Mika is   ' Out - of - Control '  on Morning Joe  . Time for the IRS to get Involved ( See : Dick Nixon ; circa 1970 and / or Barack Obama ; circa 2010 .  )  .

Every single day she brays another dreadful  , grim , awful , dire , nasty , unpleasant , frightful , outrageous ten minute soliloquy [ diatribe ] on the supposed  evils of our Great Commander - in - Chief    :  President Donald J. Trump   ( ' Dear leader !  '  )  .   She  [ Mika ] even attacked Ivanka  --- Our Nation's Princess .  Then she went after The First Lady of These United States  : Melania . UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

Here is what others are saying  :

http://www.tv.com/shows/morning-joe/reviews/

" Done with this  "
By tk8achance, Dec 06, 2017
Enough with the Trump bashing!!!!. I am definitely done with this show. I watched it every day for more than two years. I find both Joe and Mika disgusting and stupid! Same old guests and same old tune every day. Get with the program!!!   "

" For the love of god, shut her up "
By Prima001, Dec 06, 2017
Mika is having a love affair with her own voice. She talks non-stop, interrupts guests and artfully dodges the fact that she has a much more prominent role on the show since her romance with Joe. She is rude and a bore. I hope they find a replacement for her swollen ego soon.
Up until a few months ago I watched MJ daily, not anymore. I sure wish they would replace mika with nicole wallace  "

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:51pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2433 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:36am
The fantasy that is Fox and Friends would be a safer place for you then young Joey.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2434 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:02pm

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2435 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:03pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:02pm:

Edith...thanks for the chuckles. that is too funny!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2436 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:28pm
This Alabama thing was a significant loss for pro-Duggarists and maybe even some Trump fans.  He got biffed.  The Ten Commandments guy.  Got totally biffed.  He is Southern Baptist, which is one of the lowest ranked religions, barely above Mormonism and Islamicalismness.  Flat marks across the board on the So-Bap.  I think the winning guy was Ecumenical Synod or one of the middle ranked ones.

But a huge loss, in a state where Duggarism is widely practiced and he had the President of the U.S. pounding the piss out of it.  Trump wanted the Ten Commandments guy in there.  Now he's got this Jones guy.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #2437 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:57pm

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2438 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:56pm

<  -------------- Some Guy    .... ?!  ... !!!!   :

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/washington-post-a-new-and-troubling-threat-from-nor...

" Washington Post: A new and troubling threat from North Korea "

" North Korea has already provided plenty of evidence that the dynastic regime led by Kim Jong Un threatens the world and its own people.

He has developed and tested nuclear weapons; built intercontinental ballistic missiles; brewed chemical weapons such as VX (a nerve agent reportedly used to kill his own half brother) and forced untold thousands of people into concentration camps.

Now comes news that he is collecting the capabilities and know-how for biological weapons that could be used for germ warfare.

The Washington Post’s Joby Warrick reports that North Korea has been acquiring the essential machinery and seeking the know-how to produce large amounts of germ-warfare agents rather quickly.

So far, Kim has not deployed germs into weapons.

But U.S. officials are alarmed at signs that technology, barred by sanctions, has been identified within the country, while at the same time Pyongyang has exhibited an interest in genetic engineering and other biotechnology disciplines.

By its very nature, biological technology is dual-use; the machines needed to create lifesaving treatments or pesticides can also be used to create lethal agents to be delivered in wartime.

A fermenter not connected to any pipes, vents or ductwork could be an innocent start to manufacturing medicines or signify that Kim is getting ready for something darker.

In the case of the largest biological weapons program ever attempted, in the Soviet Union from 1975 to 1991, much of the industrial base was created first, capable of producing anthrax by the ton, to be ready if and when the orders came to mobilize for war.

Biological weapons are tricky from a military point of view. They can be more easily hidden than nuclear missiles or conventional forces. Attacking them preemptively could risk unwanted dispersal of the germs. They are difficult to handle and store for long periods.

If dispersed in the air for an attack, germs can shift with winds and weather, endangering troops and civilians, friend and foe alike.

But tests in the 1950s and 1960s carried out by the United States and Britain showed that in some conditions, biological weapons can also be deadly over wide swaths of territory.

The United States gave up biological weapons in 1969, and an international treaty banning them took effect in 1975. North Korea joined the treaty in 1987, but the treaty’s verification requirements are weak.

Despite serious obstacles at home, North Korea has demonstrated an ability to evade sanctions and scale up military industrial plants when it wants to.

If Kim is creating the foundations for a biological weapons program, it should serve as one more warning of the escalating threat he poses.

Pre-emptive war could risk millions of casualties. But his malign intent cannot be tolerated forever.

Through sanctions, diplomatic pressure and other means, the burden of Kim’s despotic and reckless reign must be brought to an end.  "

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:45am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2439 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:25am
Alabama went Trump shaming.

You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2440 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:29am
Some Guy wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:25am:

1.5% margin of victory ain't the "landslide" the libtard media wants you to think it is.
BTW, I got this number from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politics/measuring-the-alabama-earthquake/index.ht...

The margin was probably a lot less than CNN reported.  LOL

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2441 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:35am
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:29am:
Some Guy wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:25am:

1.5% margin of victory ain't the "landslide" the libtard media wants you to think it is.
BTW, I got this number from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politics/measuring-the-alabama-earthquake/index.ht...

The margin was probably a lot less than CNN reported.  LOL

Trump won the state by over 25 points just last year. A loss here no matter how small is significant. But it is not a condemnation of the GOP agenda just a distain for a putrid candidate. Jone will have a hell of a time getting re-elected . Hopefully by then "Not a Judge Anymore" Roy Moore will have conceded.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2442 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:28pm
Hey! What do ya'll think about the net-neutrality decision?

Gotta admit, I haven't been keeping up with this particular issue.  What a post Ronnie!!!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2443 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:28pm:

Gotta admit, I haven't been keeping up with this particular issue.  What a post Ronnie!!!!!

It could cut Joey's post total in half!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2444 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 4:30pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 14th, 2017 at 4:22pm:

It could cut Joey's post total in half!

<  --------    " WHAT  ...  ?!... !!!!!   "       :

What Every American Woman considers as THE Prefect Holiday Gift !   :

|
|
|
|
V

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/1487451129/kim_jong_un_shower_curtain.jpg?width=55...
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 4:57pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2445 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:44pm

< ----------   Some Guy   ... ?!    ......  !!!!!    :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-donald-met-kirsten-1513210449

" When Donald Met Kirsten "

" Democrats have finally figured out how to turn Trump’s tweets into their own weapon.  "

By Daniel Henninger

" Americans were forced this Tuesday morning to take time from their holiday preparation to scroll through these exchanges between the president of the United States, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and other members of the U.S. Senate, known in more innocent times as the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body.

A Trump tweet: “Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office ‘begging’ for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump. Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!”

Sen. Gillibrand, whose aides made sure reporters would note she was in a Bible study meeting at the moment of the tweet, replied: “It was a sexist smear attempting to silence my voice, and I will not be silenced on this issue. Neither will the women who stood up to the president yesterday.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren joined the colloquy: “Are you really trying to bully, intimidate and slut-shame @SenGillibrand?”

And then Sen. Mazie Hirono : “The only way to stop this president who has a narcissistic need for attention, he’s a misogynist and an admitted sexual predator and a liar, the only thing that will stop him from attacking us is his resignation.”

American politics is dividing now into a series of concentric circles, not unlike Dante’s circles of Hell.

The innermost circle is occupied by political professionals who soak in the toxic political intrigues of Democrats and Republicans in the Trump era.

Outside this inner circle stands the general public whose members continuously chant the two truisms of their time: They have never seen a more polarized political environment, and have never struggled so hard to make sense of what is going on.

We offer a path toward understanding, if not contentment.

Forget your political biases, which impair comprehension in direct proportion to their intensity. Clarity comes only to those willing to see all this for what it is: a crude death struggle for power.

The fulcrum political event is of course Donald Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election. A Kirsten Gillibrand would look at this and simply say: He won, we lost. Now we have to win. How we do that is irrelevant.

(By the way, regarding “do anything”: The Almanac of American Politics details Sen. Gillibrand’s eye-rolling flip-flops—famous in New York political circles—from upstate House conservative to progressive Senate saint, described in an apparently forgotten New York Times account.)

With Democrats themselves admitting they have no coherent message that could win a presidential election, the opposition strategy has been built around Mr. Trump’s personality, his alleged collusion with Russia to disable Hillary Clinton, and now the return of the same accusations of sexual harassment that did not cause him to lose the election.

To be clear about the strategy: If the U.S. was being bombarded by killer asteroids, you would be hearing nonstop of Mr. Trump’s failure to protect us from the asteroids. Whatever works. As Hyman Roth told Michael Corleone : “This is the business we’ve chosen.”

In the past week, the Democrats may finally have hit upon the Achilles’ heel that will fell or weaken this president: his tweets.

The tweets have worried Republicans and Trump supporters since they started. Mr. Trump rejects this criticism. He said, with a tweet, that they energize his base. But Roy Moore just lost in Alabama.

At the level of political chess, the Democrats of late have been masterful against their opponent. The biggest nonpolitical story for months has been sexual abuse, starting with Harvey Weinstein. It was only a matter of time before the politicians would figure out how to manipulate harassment for their own purposes.

The Democrats forced both John Conyers and Al Franken to resign last week. They took their harassers off the table, which left Mr. Trump self-aligned with the one alleged harasser on the board—Roy Moore.

Then on Monday, the day before the Alabama election, came the following: Three women repeated sexual harassment accusations they’d made against Mr. Trump during the campaign; the congressional Democratic Women’s Working Group called for an investigation of the charges; and Sen. Gillibrand called on the president to resign.

On display here is how Democrats have learned to exploit one reality, which is that Mr. Trump’s political orbit of interest radiates about two feet beyond him. They have discovered how to make his tweets their weapon.

On election day, Mr. Trump’s candidate, Roy Moore, was on the bubble with voters, especially among women. No matter. Mr. Trump’s Tuesday-morning tweet suddenly elevated a B-level New York senator, and the media instantly recycled the Trump sexual-harassment details. Doug Jones defeated Roy Moore by just 1.5%, and the Republicans’ Senate majority fell to 51. By day’s end, Sen. Gillibrand was soliciting funds via email for her 2018 election. They figured out how to make the Trump side lose. It’s the president’s move now. Checkmate awaits. "
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:46pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2446 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:38am

Heres my 2 cents....non elected former Verizon exec decides to drop another form of consumer and small tech companies protections. Only 83% of the public are against such a move but he forges ahead anyway. But alas it is an Obama law so despite its perceived value by the vast majority it must go according to Trump and his minions. Once this is done the FCC chair will leave and be hired by AT&T etc for millions and in a few years we will all be paying much more for internet and streaming services. But first this guy will have to stick his head in the sand while the Disney acquisition of Fox Entertainment glides through.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2447 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 8:10am
gimmekeef wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:38am:
Heres my 2 cents....non elected former Verizon exec decides to drop another form of consumer and small tech companies protections. Only 83% of the public are against such a move but he forges ahead anyway. But alas it is an Obama law so despite its perceived value by the vast majority it must go according to Trump and his minions. Once this is done the FCC chair will leave and be hired by AT&T etc for millions and in a few years we will all be paying much more for internet and streaming services. But first this guy will have to stick his head in the sand while the Disney acquisition of Fox Entertainment glides through.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2448 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 10:59am
sirmoonie wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:28pm:
This Alabama thing was a significant loss for pro-Duggarists and maybe even some Trump fans.  He got biffed.  The Ten Commandments guy.  Got totally biffed.  He is Southern Baptist, which is one of the lowest ranked religions, barely above Mormonism and Islamicalismness.  Flat marks across the board on the So-Bap.  I think the winning guy was Ecumenical Synod or one of the middle ranked ones.

But a huge loss, in a state where Duggarism is widely practiced and he had the President of the U.S. pounding the piss out of it.  Trump wanted the Ten Commandments guy in there.  Now he's got this Jones guy.

Sir Moonie   ............

Presidents Never Threaten    ...... They Do Not Have To !  :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/tillerson-offers-olive-br...

" Tillerson offers olive branch to North Korea if it abandons nuclear weapons  "

By Carol Morello December 15 at 11:00 AM

" Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Friday urged North Korea, for the second time this week, to enter negotiations and give up its nuclear weapons.

Speaking at the United Nations Security Council in a session called for foreign ministers, Tillerson said the United States asks that any talks be preceded by a “sustained cessation of North Korea’s threatening behavior.”

North Korea has accelerated the pace of its missile program, launching 40 ballistic missiles and conducting three nuclear tests over the past two years. Each test exhibited technological improvements.

Tillerson did not repeat an assertion he made Tuesday that there are no preconditions to having talks. He said the ultimate goal must be the “complete, verifiable and irreversible abandonment of its nuclear weapons programs.”

“The international community remains firm in our determination that we will not accept a nuclear North Korea,” he said.

That position could preclude any negotiations. Pyongyang has been adamant that it will never even consider abandoning its nuclear weapons program, which it regards as a deterrent against a U.S. invasion designed to oust the regime.

“The DPRK has a choice,” said Tillerson, using the acronym for North Korea’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. “It can reverse course, give up its unlawful nuclear weapons programs, and join the community of nations, or it can continue to condemn its people to poverty and isolation.”

North Korea’s ambassador to the U.N., Ja Song Nam, joined the Security Council session in a rare appearance. Traditionally, countries being discussed at the Security Council are often invited to attend.

The Security Council meeting was called amid rising concerns the world is on the brink of nuclear conflict. North Korea has boasted its missiles are now capable of striking anywhere in the continental United States. The Trump administration has responded by saying it is prepared for a military conflict, if necessary, even while Tillerson continues to try to isolate North Korea diplomatically and economically by getting more countries to fully implement strict U.N. sanctions.

“The worst possible thing that could happen is for us all to sleepwalk into a war that might have very dramatic circumstances,” U.N. Secretary General António Guterres said Thursday.

In Russia, President Vladi­mir Putin warned Thursday that the United States should not further aggravate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom President Trump has derided several times by referring to him mockingly as “Little Rocket Man.”

Tillerson alluded to the possibility of military action but quickly followed up by saying the goal remains a diplomatic solution to the standoff.

“We have been clear that all options remain on the table in the defense of our nation, but we do not seek, nor do we want, war with North Korea,” he said. “The United States will use all necessary measures to defend itself against North Korean aggression, but our hope remains that diplomacy will produce a resolution.”

After calling for an interlude in North Korea’s missile testing, he added, “The United States will not allow the regime in Pyongyang to hold the world hostage.”

Tillerson called on Russia and China to increase pressure on Pyongyang beyond adhering to stringent U.N. sanctions already in place.

“Continuing to allow North Korean laborers to toil in slave-like conditions inside Russia in exchange for wages used to fund nuclear weapons programs calls into question Russia’s dedication as a partner for peace,” Tillerson said. “Similarly, as Chinese crude oil flows to North Korean refineries, the United States questions China’s commitment to solving an issue that has serious implications for the security of its own citizens.”

In a town hall meeting Tuesday with State Department employees, Tillerson said the “pressure campaign” could potentially deny North Korea of $2.5 billion in export revenue from coal, textiles and labor, and imports on fuel and oil. State Department officials say about 90 percent of North Korea’s earnings from exports has dried up because of a strict series of sanctions imposed on the country.

In remarks Tuesday at the Atlantic Council, Tillerson said the United States would talk with North Korea without preconditions. But the White House issued a statement a few hours later that appeared to undercut him by saying: “The president’s views on North Korea have not changed. North Korea is acting in an unsafe way, not only toward Japan, China and South Korea, but the entire world.”

His remarks set off a round of recrimination from White House aides, who said he had “not learned his lesson” since Trump rebuked Tillerson for seeking negotiations with Pyongyang. The aides called Tillerson “irrelevant” and predicted he would be gone by early next year.  "
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2017 at 11:17am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2449 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:35pm
One day I will be able to tell my great great grandchildren that my generation defeated the republicans.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 276
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)