Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 275
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 890,782 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!)
Reply #2000 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Some Guy ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2001 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Donald Trump called John Bel Edwards about Hurricane Harvey

Gov. John Bel Edwards spoke to President Donald Trump Thursday (Aug. 24) about Hurricane Harvey and Louisiana's readiness for the storm. (Photo by G. Andrew Boyd, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

By Julia O'Donoghue [email protected],
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

President Donald Trump called Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards on Thursday (Aug. 24) to check on preparations for Hurricane Harvey. Edwards said he appreciated the call and the president's concern, and that FEMA had been particularly responsive to Louisiana's requests.

"He wanted to make sure that any requests for assistance from the federal government were being met," Edwards said of Trump.

Edwards disclosed the presidential call during his Harvey briefing Friday afternoon. He didn't have much new information on how the storm might affect Louisiana. Harvey was expected to make landfall on the Texas coast early Saturday, causing devastating flooding there.

"Obviously, we are going to be the best neighbor that we can be as they evacuate," Edwards said. He said he told Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Thursday that Louisiana would be willing to provide personnel and supplies if needed.

What Harvey will do after Texas landfall was unclear. In southwest Louisiana, people have been ordered out of parts of Cameron Parish, and Vermilion Parish advised people in certain areas to evacuate. Rain was expected to be a larger problem than wind in Louisiana, Edwards said.

Officials agree there will be flooding in Lake Charles and other parts of southwest Louisiana. Edwards said some roads in that part of the state were already covered with water, and that storm surge from Cameron to St. Mary parishes was expected to be one to three feet. Wind might also stall the drainage of water in those areas.

Beyond that, however, Louisiana was in somewhat of a holding pattern until more information becomes available. "We have to continue to be patient and wait for the forecast to develop as it relates to a direct impact on Louisiana," Edwards said  "This is going to unfold under a number of days."

Some forecast models show Harvey, after striking Texas, moving back into the Gulf of Mexico then hitting Louisiana directly. That's what happened in 2001 with Tropical Storm Allison.

But there was no consensus on what will happen, Edwards said. "The forecast models for this storm are all in agreement as to what is going to happen between now and sometime early tomorrow morning," Edwards said. "Following that, there is no agreement."

"The worst-case scenario is that it goes back into the Gulf ... and strengthens and comes to Louisiana," the governor said. "All of that is possible, and we don't know what it is going to do yet."

. . . . . . .

Julia O'Donoghue is a state politics reporter based in Baton Rouge. She can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @jsodonoghue. Please consider following us on Facebook at NOLA.com.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/08/trump_edwards_harvey.html#incart_...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2002 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:23pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2003 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:28am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:23pm:

FUNNY!

.......don't get the "crowd of four" line, though.  Don't suck my cock

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2004 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 11:53am

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2005 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Just wait for Trump's " I have a Tweet" speech.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2006 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:36pm:

I'm sick of it already

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2007 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Is this the beginning of the end?

Really, this sucks

Blank Frigging Stare

North Korean missile passed over Japan, before falling into the sea: Japanese broadcaster NHK

•      North Korea fired a missile over Japan, according to local media.
•      Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the ballistic missile passed over the Tohoku region at the northern end of Japan.
•      Local government urged people living in the area to take refuge in solid buildings or underground shelters, NHK reported.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-he...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2008 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Trump hater: I can't stand Trump, the bullshit is so high.
Trump supporter: but hill....
Face punch!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2009 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
Is this the beginning of the end?

Really, this sucks

Blank Frigging Stare

North Korean missile passed over Japan, before falling into the sea: Japanese broadcaster NHK

•      North Korea fired a missile over Japan, according to local media.
•      Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the ballistic missile passed over the Tohoku region at the northern end of Japan.
•      Local government urged people living in the area to take refuge in solid buildings or underground shelters, NHK reported.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-he...

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 2:54pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2010 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:36pm:

<  ---------------    http://www.wafb.com/story/36227295/cajun-navy-arrives-in-houston-to-help-rescue-...

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 3:38pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2011 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Okay, I secretly think Kim Jong Un is cute and sexy!  (Except, for the being an evil dictator thing . . .)

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2012 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:15pm
gorda wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:11pm:
Okay, I secretly think Kim Jong Un is cute and sexy!  (Except, for the being an evil dictator thing . . .)

<  ----- Gorda  ?!   ... !!!!   :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/28/north-korea-fires-missile-japan-warns...

" 'All options are on the table': Donald Trump says world has received North Korea's message 'loud and clear' after Kim Jong-un fires missile over Japan  "

" US President Donald Trump said all options to respond to North Korea were on the table after Pyongyang fired a ballistic missile over Japan earlier on Tuesday.

"The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear: this regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations, and for minimum standards of acceptable international behavior," Mr Trump said in the statement released by the White House.

"Threatening and destabilising actions only increase the North Korean regime’s isolation in the region and among all nations of the world. All options are on the table".

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 7:57am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2013 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:23pm

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017 at 7:59am by Joey »  

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #2014 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:59am

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2015 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:08am
If Trump is ever going to do something its' now..Houston we have a big problem...those folks need help and every member of Congress better quit playing politics and get to work for these poor folks.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2016 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:15am

Rock 'n Roll !!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2017 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:08pm
gimmekeef wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:08am:
If Trump is ever going to do something its' now..Houston we have a big problem...those folks need help and every member of Congress better quit playing politics and get to work for these poor folks.

Gonna Be a " Biggin'  " Taters !     ......  This time The United States of America  will do what is NECESSARY to WIN  !  .... No More Stalemates  !    :

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/asia/north-korea-missile-launch-guam-threat/index....

" Next target Guam, North Korea says  "

" (CNN)North Korea's launch of a missile over Japan was a prelude to more military operations directed at the American territory of Guam, North Korean state media warned Wednesday.

The country's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported leader Kim Jong Un presided over the dawn launch Tuesday of the "ultra-modern rocket system," the first missile ever fired from the capital Pyongyang.

North Korean officials told CNN in Pyongyang that Kim was "very satisfied with the performance of the missile."

The intermediate-range missile, identified by the North Koreans as the Hwasong-12, flew over Japan, further fueling tensions between North Korea and the United States and its allies, Japan and South Korea.

Early Wednesday, the US conducted a test intercept of a medium range ballistic missile off the coast of Hawaii, according to a statement from the US Missile Defense Agency.
A US official told CNN the test was planned for a long time, before North Korea's launch. "

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:36pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2018 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:17pm

<  -----------  "   I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!   "   :

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 11:56am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2019 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:29pm

<  ----------- Gimmekeef   ?!   ..  !!!!!!!   :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hurricane-harvey-previews-our-stormy-fut...

" Hurricane Harvey previews our stormy future  "

By Eugene Robinson

" Pay attention to what happened to Houston. It is rare to be given such a vivid look at our collective future.

Climate change cannot be definitively blamed for Hurricane Harvey, but it likely did make the storm more powerful. Global warming did not conjure the rains that flooded the nation’s fourth-largest city, but it likely did make them more torrential. The spectacle of rescue boats plying the streets of a major metropolis is something we surely will see again. The question is how often.

The relationship between climate and weather is undeniable but never specific. Tropical cyclones do not batter Siberia’s arctic coast and heavy snowfalls do not blanket the beaches of Barbados because the climates are different. But no one blizzard or hurricane can be attributed to climate change beyond the shadow of a doubt — which opens anyone who raises the subject at a time like this to the accusation of “politicizing” a disaster.

The science explaining climate change is clear, however, no matter what deniers such as President Trump choose to believe. And it will be political decisions that determine how often we witness scenes of devastation like those in Houston.

Begin with the basic fact of a warming planet, due primarily to greenhouse gas emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. The waters of the Gulf of Mexico are unusually warm this summer — between two and three degrees above normal — which gave Harvey extra energy and moisture.

Hurricanes usually weaken when they approach a coastline, but Harvey was able to gain strength, making landfall as a Category 4 storm.

According to Pennsylvania State University professor Michael E. Mann, one of the world’s leading experts on climate change, Harvey’s unprecedented rainfall totals were likely boosted by global warming in at least two ways. Higher atmospheric and ocean temperatures mean more evaporation, Mann wrote in the Guardian, which means more precipitation. And the fact that the storm parked itself so stubbornly over Houston is due to a jet-stream pattern predicted in scientists’ climate-change models.

Since 2005, we’ve had Katrina, Sandy and now Harvey. The flood next time could come in Corpus Christi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa Bay, Naples, Miami, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston — no one knows where. But there is no doubt that it will come.

Humankind has boosted the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by a shocking 40 percent since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, when we started burning fossil fuels on a large scale. Even if carbon emissions were magically ended tomorrow, warming would continue for many years. But we can — if we choose — keep climate change from getting catastrophically out of hand.

The rest of the industrialized world has decided to move toward a clean-energy future — and reap the economic benefits such a shift can entail. I’m betting that Trump’s successor, whether a Democrat or a Republican, will reverse his shortsighted, self-defeating decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord.

But in addition to mitigating climate change, we must adapt to the warming we have made inevitable. Houston officials at least tried to learn one lesson: In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached, officials ordered an evacuation that turned freeways into parking lots; about 100 people died in the chaos. This time, residents were initially advised to stay put — and, from what we know so far, there appears to have been much less loss of life.

But billions of dollars’ worth of private and public infrastructure is being destroyed. Because low-lying coastal cities are not likely to pick up and move inland, they are going to need new natural or artificial barriers to protect against storm surge (which might have been the big problem with Harvey, but wasn’t) and high-capacity drainage systems to alleviate flooding (which was).

Such projects are hugely expensive — but cheaper than repairing the damage from a citywide flood.

Also, the nation needs a sustainable way of providing flood insurance to those living in vulnerable areas. The current National Flood Insurance Program charges rates that do not nearly cover its outlays, and for years it relied on out-of-date maps that did not accurately show flood risks.

Buildings, meanwhile, can be made more flood-proof. President Barack Obama signed an executive order requiring builders who receive federal funds for a project to account for the risk of flooding in their construction plans. Trump rescinded the measure, saying it was “job-killing.” How many people went to work in Houston today?

Folks, nature is telling us something. How many “100-year” storms or “1,000-year” floods will it take for us to listen?  "

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:27am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2020 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:39pm
MrPleasant wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 4:32pm:
Let it heel.

Yeah ,  You had BETTER Salute Melania  !

** {  " HOT ! "  } **   :

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 1:31pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2021 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:52am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2022 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:52am:

Hillary ain't no Scarlett O'Hara.

Barf bags will be provided at the door.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2023 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Joey wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
<  ----------- Gimmekeef   ?!   ..  !!!!!!!   :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hurricane-harvey-previews-our-stormy-fut...

" Hurricane Harvey previews our stormy future  "

By Eugene Robinson

" Pay attention to what happened to Houston. It is rare to be given such a vivid look at our collective future.

Climate change cannot be definitively blamed for Hurricane Harvey, but it likely did make the storm more powerful. Global warming did not conjure the rains that flooded the nation’s fourth-largest city, but it likely did make them more torrential. The spectacle of rescue boats plying the streets of a major metropolis is something we surely will see again. The question is how often.

The relationship between climate and weather is undeniable but never specific. Tropical cyclones do not batter Siberia’s arctic coast and heavy snowfalls do not blanket the beaches of Barbados because the climates are different. But no one blizzard or hurricane can be attributed to climate change beyond the shadow of a doubt — which opens anyone who raises the subject at a time like this to the accusation of “politicizing” a disaster.

The science explaining climate change is clear, however, no matter what deniers such as President Trump choose to believe. And it will be political decisions that determine how often we witness scenes of devastation like those in Houston.

Begin with the basic fact of a warming planet, due primarily to greenhouse gas emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. The waters of the Gulf of Mexico are unusually warm this summer — between two and three degrees above normal — which gave Harvey extra energy and moisture.

Hurricanes usually weaken when they approach a coastline, but Harvey was able to gain strength, making landfall as a Category 4 storm.

According to Pennsylvania State University professor Michael E. Mann, one of the world’s leading experts on climate change, Harvey’s unprecedented rainfall totals were likely boosted by global warming in at least two ways. Higher atmospheric and ocean temperatures mean more evaporation, Mann wrote in the Guardian, which means more precipitation. And the fact that the storm parked itself so stubbornly over Houston is due to a jet-stream pattern predicted in scientists’ climate-change models.

Since 2005, we’ve had Katrina, Sandy and now Harvey. The flood next time could come in Corpus Christi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa Bay, Naples, Miami, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston — no one knows where. But there is no doubt that it will come.

Humankind has boosted the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by a shocking 40 percent since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, when we started burning fossil fuels on a large scale. Even if carbon emissions were magically ended tomorrow, warming would continue for many years. But we can — if we choose — keep climate change from getting catastrophically out of hand.

The rest of the industrialized world has decided to move toward a clean-energy future — and reap the economic benefits such a shift can entail. I’m betting that Trump’s successor, whether a Democrat or a Republican, will reverse his shortsighted, self-defeating decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord.

But in addition to mitigating climate change, we must adapt to the warming we have made inevitable. Houston officials at least tried to learn one lesson: In 2005, as Hurricane Rita approached, officials ordered an evacuation that turned freeways into parking lots; about 100 people died in the chaos. This time, residents were initially advised to stay put — and, from what we know so far, there appears to have been much less loss of life.

But billions of dollars’ worth of private and public infrastructure is being destroyed. Because low-lying coastal cities are not likely to pick up and move inland, they are going to need new natural or artificial barriers to protect against storm surge (which might have been the big problem with Harvey, but wasn’t) and high-capacity drainage systems to alleviate flooding (which was).

Such projects are hugely expensive — but cheaper than repairing the damage from a citywide flood.

Also, the nation needs a sustainable way of providing flood insurance to those living in vulnerable areas. The current National Flood Insurance Program charges rates that do not nearly cover its outlays, and for years it relied on out-of-date maps that did not accurately show flood risks.

Buildings, meanwhile, can be made more flood-proof. President Barack Obama signed an executive order requiring builders who receive federal funds for a project to account for the risk of flooding in their construction plans. Trump rescinded the measure, saying it was “job-killing.” How many people went to work in Houston today?

Folks, nature is telling us something. How many “100-year” storms or “1,000-year” floods will it take for us to listen?  "

So it would be much more prudent to build barriers than immigration walls? And maybe give a shit about the climate change caused by mankind. China is a big part of this and the fact they decided to not do anything for like 30 years under the Paris Accord is unacceptable.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2024 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 9:15pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:54am:
Those are some good conflationaries, PoiDog.  What about Mormons?  They don't like black people, but they get a free pass because of their religious status.  If Charlottians just attributed their pro-Germany rallies to some of J. Christ's written scripturals, no one would be able to criticize them. Not even a Deacon or a Vicar!

http://nypost.com/2017/08/30/torrential-rains-turn-texas-highway-into-an-ocean/

A Texas highway was transformed into an ocean — complete with whitecaps and waves up to 4 feet high — during Tropical Storm Harvey, as seen in unbelievable photos taken from a boat.

Some dramatic shots snapped Tuesday show Interstate 10, located south of Beaumont, completely submerged in choppy waters.

The images were captured by Logan Wheat, who’d set off on a boat to round up cattle.

“The boat was being thrown around a lot,” he told CNN, adding that the waves were between 3 to 4 feet high.

Wheat had to travel 2 miles by boat with the owners of Phillips Ranch in Winnie, Texas, to move cattle to higher ground.

They only found a fraction of the herd — about 30 of 90 total.

“They were in chest-deep water. We only found a small group of them,” Wheat said. “We know some of them are going to die. There were some calves out there.”
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:04am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 275
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)