Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 276
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 896,180 times)
Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!)
Reply #1975 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:11pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I like Trumps speech better when Bush and Obama gave it, they both actually had some very important things going on.... qualified staffers, fully staffed govt., support of the people, support of our allies, staff members qualified and trained for decades to handle diplomacy, military knowledge, shit... any knowledge!!!!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1976 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:54pm
Pdog wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:08pm:
It's not just how many, it's how long they've had power, how much power they have, how many blindly ignore this and say there's no white privilege.
slavery and the 13th amendment alone are argument enough of what white supremacy looks like in the USA...  We'll deal with mormons later, fascists and people who actually call for murder, segregation, violence and feel certain races are subhuman are taking priority.

Why can't we go after the fascists and the Mormons at the same time?  Venn diagramatically speaking, you'd have significant mental intersection.  And talk about white privilege - you ever been to Provo or Ogden or high concentration places?  It's disgusting.  They still part their hair like Dondi, and wear slacks and mauve socks.

I'm sorry, America has far more to fear from the growing Mormon threat, than a bunch of Klan/German Nazis trying to get media attention with pep rallies (and sadly, succeeding).

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1977 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:12pm
Keep an eye on Phoenix.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1978 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 7:07pm
Some Guy wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:12pm:
Keep an eye on Phoenix.

Mayhem?  It's going to be like Appomattox all over again!

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1979 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:16pm
Even though, I am a "*light-skinned" Latina, and I speak fluent English.  I am still a person of color.  And, I get treated as such.  And, sometimes, when I "forget my place".  Some racist will come out and remind me!  It makes me sick!  2017!  We're still dealing with this $#!†.

*except for in the summer when I get really tan!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1980 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 9:48pm
gorda wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:16pm:
Even though, I am a "*light-skinned" Latina, and I speak fluent English.  I am still a person of color.  And, I get treated as such.  And, sometimes, when I "forget my place".  Some racist will come out and remind me!  It makes me sick!  2017!  We're still dealing with this $#!†.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:12am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #1981 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 11:11pm
It's time to shake hands and sing it out loud, because I want a world where the democrats will put somebody up there worth voting for! I want a world where grunge and rap where never born! I want a world where nuclear weapons weren't a thought!  I want a world where Bono Junior and all the Bono  Juniors can sit under a shade tree! I want a world where we can all listen to me. I want a world without marketing! And I need a morning with fresh cake and cold american beer.

Peace, and tranquility from the Bono.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1982 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:11am
They only buy your albums because of white privilege, BONEISLOVE.

Time to end the IQ privilege as well.  Medical high tech and surgery jobs, amongst others, are the province of Smart-Americans, whilst the common American dope is relegated to carry slop buckets filled with liquid swill!  I'm speaking metaphoricalist.  I know that not every dumdum is schlepping slop buckets.  It's meant to convey imagery of idiots doing the grunt work because of their low IQ, whilst their superior bretheren sip champagne, eat dangling grapes, and have buxom serving wenches waving palm fronds all over the place.  All because America doesn't respect stupid people.  We need to end this stuff.  We need to end it now, goddamit!

[Edited for compliance - 37CFR226]
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:12am by sirmoonie »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1983 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:48am

"  ......................................Edited for compliance - 37CFR226     "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1984 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:20am
BONOISLOVE wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 11:11pm:
It's time to shake hands and sing it out loud, because I want a world where the democrats will put somebody up there worth voting for! I want a world where grunge and rap where never born! I want a world where nuclear weapons weren't a thought!  I want a world where Bono Junior and all the Bono  Juniors can sit under a shade tree! I want a world where we can all listen to me. I want a world without marketing! And I need a morning with fresh cake and cold american beer.

Peace, and tranquility from the Bono.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1985 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:33am
ESPN, the worldwide leader in idiocy

Here's Robert E. Lee (left) and Robert Lee (right).
Guess which one surrendered at Appomattox in 1865 and which one was yanked by ESPN from announcing Virginia's football opener.

By Ron Higgins [email protected],
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Took a long time.

Never thought it was possible.

Didn't believe it would ever happen.

But there's finally a collection of lamebrains that lack more common sense than the NCAA.

ESPN, also known as Extremely Patronizing Senseless Nutcases, you're now in first place.

Somewhere along the way in the last few years, ESPN determined merely broadcasting sports was too boring. So it decided it was going to be everyone's social conscious and moral compass.

It punctuated this point in 2015 when the ESPN braintrust chose former Olympic gold medalist turned transgender woman Bruce/Caitlin Jenner as the winner of its annual Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

What a person wants to do with their body is their business.

But ESPN transformed a noble honor into a ratings/publicity grab. It was an insult to previous winners that were truly courageous for such acts of bravery as dying on the field of battle, perishing while fighting 9/11 hijackers or demonstrating how to live life to the fullest in the face of an incurable disease.

Jenner's choice was the most inexcusably moronic move the network had made until Tuesday when ESPN rocketed to unprecedented heights of stupidity.

That's when it pulled an announcer from Virginia's upcoming season football opener against William and Mary because the announcer has the same name as the commanding general of the Confederate Army.

General Robert E. Lee died almost 150 years ago.

Robert Lee is an Asian-American announcer hired by ESPN in 2016.

The deep thinkers at ESPN somehow linked the two Lees, because of recent protest against the removal of a statue of General Lee in Charlottesville, Virginia that led to a riot between white supremacists and left-wing radicals. A woman died and nearly 20 injured after a neo-Nazi rammed his car into a crowd of people.

The ESPN imbeciles were forced to release a statement on the announcer switch when Outkick the Coverage's Clay Travis exposed the network nitwits.

The statement said:

"We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It's a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue."

No, what's pathetic is that somebody at ESPN chose to make it a problem, and everyone around that somebody began nodding their heads.

Robert Lee has been re-assigned to call the Pittsburgh vs. Youngstown State opener while some guy named Dave Weekley will take Lee's place in Virginia.

Wouldn't you have wanted to be at that meeting where the ESPN schmoes were deciding on Lee's replacement?

"Hey everybody, who has the safest, most politically correct name on our talent roster?" said the executive vice-president in charge extremely sensitive decisions. "Do we have anyone with a name that sounds like they're a aluminum siding salesman from Peoria?'

"How about a Dave?" replied brown-nosing minion No. 1.

"Dave is perfect, because it's vanilla, it's harmless and it's a great idea that I'll take credit for," added the VP giving the minion a high-five. "Now, go get me a coffee and some Little Debbies from our vending machine down the hall. Chop, chop."

Robert Lee is a little-known, up-and-coming announcer just happy to have a college football assignment. He'll be a team player.

But somebody needs to rain some holy hell on ESPN, whether it's a boycott of viewers or by sponsors, or if there is some basis for a lawsuit.

Because if ESPN is just allowed to slide on this one, there's no telling what it will do next.

Maybe it will launch an investigation centered on their longest tenured announcer.

His name is Bob Ley and he'll probably be accused of changing his name from Robert Lee just to gain and maintain employment.

Cheaters never win, Bob Ley.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/08/espn_the_worldwide_leader_in_i.html#in...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #1986 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:00am
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:54pm:
It's not just how many, it's how long they've had power, how much power they have, how many blindly ignore this and say there's no white privilege.
slavery and the 13th amendment alone are argument enough of what white supremacy looks like in the USA...  We'll deal with mormons later, fascists and people who actually call for murder, segregation, violence and feel certain races are subhuman are taking priority.

Why can't we go after the fascists and the Mormons at the same time?  Venn diagramatically speaking, you'd have significant mental intersection.  And talk about white privilege - you ever been to Provo or Ogden or high concentration places?  It's disgusting.  They still part their hair like Dondi, and wear slacks and mauve socks.

I'm sorry, America has far more to fear from the growing Mormon threat, than a bunch of Klan/German Nazis trying to get media attention with pep rallies (and sadly, succeeding).

because you're white, use your bad experiences as empathy by timing them by 1,000... they're not killing black people there, like in other cities. They're not marching in the streets to take out old white dudes. You're concerns will be addressed after we deal with systemic racism, white supremacy, and sexism and systemic misogyny... consider this you being mansplained.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #1987 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am
gorda wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:16pm:

Some of us are listening. you have allies, who are learning everyday what it's like for women, TG and POC people.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1988 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 1:08pm
Pdog wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:00am:
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 3:54pm:

because you're white, use your bad experiences as empathy by timing them by 1,000... they're not killing black people there, like in other cities. They're not marching in the streets to take out old white dudes. You're concerns will be addressed after we deal with systemic racism, white supremacy, and sexism and systemic misogyny... consider this you being mansplained.

This is childish thinking (different in substance, but not in kind, to religious thinking). List a bunch of broad injustices you want to be outraged about, get outraged, exaggerate, offer no end point or solutions, but then suggest everyone who even questions your wisdom, accuracy, and degree of your amorphous causes and arguments is at best ignorant, and at worst a racist.  Whether you know it or not, the ideas you expressed, and manner you expressed them, are the primary reason Clinton lost the election.  Many (most?) fair minded and logical people are not seeing what you have convinced yourself to see, and they've had it.  Yes, YOU caused Trump.  Consider that partially explained to you, and I can elaborate, in detail, if needed.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1989 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 1:26pm
Bitch keeps bitchin':

In her upcoming memoir, Hillary Clinton expresses regret and explains what she wishes she could go back and do differently during her failed 2016 campaign, according to excerpts released Wednesday.

In one of the excerpts, Clinton specifically addressed how she felt to have now-President Donald Trump standing behind her during a debate at Washington University in St. Louis.

"It was incredibly uncomfortable," she said, describing the moment. "He was literally breathing down my neck. My skin crawled. It was one of those moments where you wish you could hit pause and ask everyone watching, well, what would you do?"

The book -- which is titled "What Happened" and is rendered as a statement, not a question, on the cover -- is set to be released September 12. The excerpts were obtained by MSNBC's "Morning Joe," which aired the audio recording of Clinton reading the book herself.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1990 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 2:52pm
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2017 at 2:54pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1991 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 4:30pm
Trump "protester" takes a tear gas canister to the balls, only to be rescued by "Kaepernick."

You just can't make this shit up!
  Smiley

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #1992 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 7:49pm
Always wondered what it would be like having no government. Its actually not so bad.......

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1993 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:06pm

<  ---------- Some Guy   .... ?!  ... !!!!!   :

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/what-has-happened-to-trumps-america-first-po...

" What has happened to Trump’s ‘America first’ policy? "

" Life in the Oval Office has forced the President to rethink his isolationist stance   "

Mary Kissel

" So much for Donald J. Trump, ‘America first’ isolationist. Gone is the man who, as a civilian, repeatedly endorsed a speedy withdrawal from America’s longest-running war (2012 tweet: ‘Afghanistan is a complete waste!’), who railed against George W. Bush’s intervention in Iraq and advocated leaving Syria to the whims of the Russkies and others. On Monday night, in his first nationally televised address as Commander-in-Chief, Trump declared that he was ordering more troop deployments to South Asia, for an unspecified period of time, to fight the war in Afghanistan.

The Afghanistan commitment isn’t the only puzzler. There’s Trump’s bombing of a Syrian airport to enforce an international weapons of mass destruction treaty, his declaration of ‘fire and fury’ if Kim Jong-un dares attack the continental US (or Guam), and his refusal to take a ‘military option’ off the table to deal with Venezuela’s ongoing meltdown, and more. All within the first seven months of his presidency.

Perhaps it’s time to reassess what the Trumpian foreign policy is morphing into, what the ‘pragmatic realism’ the President referred to on Tuesday means, in practice?

The Donald didn’t take office with a coherent vision for America’s role in the world, aside from his made-for-TV sloganeering (‘Bomb the shit out of Isis!’ ‘Take the oil!’) and the ‘America first’ mantra. Did anyone really think the Donald was consciously harkening back to Charles Lindbergh’s America First Committee? The only surety was that Donald Trump the candidate disdained failed foreign wars, and didn’t seem to know much at all about anything else related to American foreign policy (or economics, or regulation, or…).

Nor did his initial team of top aides seem much interested in investing in a robust US presence abroad — the kind of presence that’s kept the peace for decades. If anything, doves predominated. Senior adviser Steve Bannon, whose expertise included a short naval career and a stint running a populist website, advocated the withdrawal US troops from the Korean peninsula and a trade war with China. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn’s greatest preoccupation seemed to be waging internal battles with the US intelligence community, not contemplating grand strategy.

And yet. In Warsaw last month, President Trump defended Nato (‘A strong alliance of free, sovereign and independent nations is the best defence for our freedoms and for our interests’), denounced enemies by name (Russia, Syria, Iran, radical Islamic terrorists), invoked the Judeo-Christian tradition as essential to civilisation (‘We want God’) and asked the foreign-policy questions that needed to be asked (‘Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost?’ ‘Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilisation in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it?’)

What happened? The presidency happened. In an April interview, we saw a hint of a reality check, when Trump remarked that the presidency ‘is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier’. In his Tuesday talk to the troops, he said: ‘All my life I’ve heard that decisions are much different when you sit behind the desk in the Oval Office. We must address the reality of the world as it exists right now — the threats we face, and the confronting of all of the problems of today, and extremely predictable consequences of a hasty withdrawal.’

The reality of the world is frightening. Barack Obama’s troop drawdowns in Iraq and Afghanistan, his meekness on the international stage produced a more diverse, deadly and geographically dispersed set of threats that any other American president has had to deal with since the Second World War. If Obama inherited a mess from George W. Bush, Trump has it much worse. He has adjusted his international outlook accordingly.

A new White House team has stiffened the President’s spine. Out went General Flynn and Mr Bannon, and in came national security adviser General H.R. McMaster and chief of staff General John Kelly. Along with defence secretary James Mattis and CIA director Mike Pompeo, the Trump foreign policy team now leans hawkish. (Dovish and bumbling secretary of state Rex Tillerson seems to have limited Oval Office influence.) Meanwhile, vice-president Mike Pence, also a hawk, who has served as a kind of uber-ambassador for the Trump agenda, jetting off to the Far East, South America, Central America and the Baltics and the Caucasus.

That’s not to say that President Trump is a born-again neoconservative. He was at pains Tuesday to emphasise the US was ‘not nation-building again’ in Afghanistan but ‘killing terrorists’, though that’s a distinction without a difference when the US is building a local army from scratch, investing heavily in economic development and shoring up the Kabul government. But it does raise the question of just how far Trump will go to defend American interests abroad, and at what cost.

Perhaps the key to understanding Trump’s foreign policy, as with so much else about the man, is its inherently transactional nature. He is comfortable ordering more US troops into Iraq and Syria to rout Isis, but hasn’t seemed to think much about the longer-term costs of ceding Iraq, Syria and Lebanon to Iran. He’s itching to rip up the Iran nuclear deal, but without a broader strategy to contain the mullahs’s regional ambitions and terrorist activities. He’s pressuring China to act against North Korea, but what will he do if Beijing doesn’t follow through? Does he know?

At least we can conclude that the world has, for now, avoided the worst-case scenario: a Trump presidency divorced from reality, one that continued his predecessor’s retreat from the world and accepted America’s decline. Is that really so bad?  "
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:45am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1994 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:15pm
sirmoonie wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:54am:
Those are some good conflationaries, PoiDog.  What about Mormons?  They don't like black people, but they get a free pass because of their religious status.  If Charlottians just attributed their pro-Germany rallies to some of J. Christ's written scripturals, no one would be able to criticize them. Not even a Deacon or a Vicar!

No Worries !!!!!   The Great President Donald J. Trump  (  ' PRECIOUS Leader !  '  )  is taking care of The Evil Kim Jong Un  !!!!!!   :

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:42pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1995 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:26pm
Edith Grove wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 6:02am:
Joey wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 9:00pm:
<  --------------   Great Speech Tonight !!!!!!!     ............   ODE To Dear Leader    !!!!!    :

george c scott wears it well. dont think patton had a deep voice though. tragic ending. didnt have a chance to fade away for long

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1996 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:33pm

<  ----------- Edith  ?!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/opinion/on-afghanistan-theres-no-way-out.h
tml

" On Afghanistan, There’s No Way Out  "

By  :   Bret Stephens

" When it comes to Afghanistan, we’ve tried everything. The lesson is: Nothing works.   "

" We’ve tried “light footprint.” From the initial defeat of the Taliban in 2001 until 2007, monthly U.S. troop numbers never exceeded 25,000. Result: a reconstituted Taliban, their leadership secure in Pakistan, made inroads into more than half of Afghanistan.

We’ve tried big footprint. Barack Obama ran for the presidency calling Afghanistan “a war that we have to win.” After he came to office, he ordered a surge that brought force levels to 100,000, along with tens of thousands of NATO troops.

Result: The Taliban were pushed out of many of their strongholds, which were brought under government control. But because the surge had a predetermined deadline, the Taliban knew they could wait us out. “NATO has all the watches, but we have all the time,” went their refrain.

We’ve tried nation building. At least as of 2014, the United States had spent $104 billion on Afghan relief and reconstruction funds, most of it for security but also nearly $30 billion for “governance and development” and $7.5 billion on counternarcotics.

Result: As of 2015, more than three in five Afghans remained illiterate. Afghan security forces lost 4,000 members a month — less to the Taliban than to simple desertion. The country ranks 169th out of 176 countries on Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index, ahead of only Somalia, South Sudan, North Korea, Syria, Yemen, Sudan and Libya. Opium production is surging.

We’ve tried killing terrorists. Lots and lots of them. As many as 42,000 Taliban and other insurgents have been killed and another 19,000 wounded in fighting since 2001, according to one rough 2016 estimate. The United States has also carried out more than 400 drone strikes in Pakistan, decimating Al Qaeda’s core leadership. Last year a drone took out the Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour.

Result: The Taliban’s numbers in 2005 were estimated at anywhere between 2,000 and 10,000 fighters. Within a decade, those numbers had grown to an estimated 60,000 fighters.

We’ve tried carrots and sticks with Pakistan. In 2011, Washington gave $3.5 billion in aid to Islamabad. That same year we killed Osama bin Laden in the garrison city of Abbottabad. Then the aid plunged.

Result: Last month, James Mattis withheld another $50 million in aid because the Defense Department could not certify that Pakistan had “taken sufficient action against the Haqqani network,” though Islamabad claims otherwise. American leverage with Pakistan has declined as Chinese investment in the country has surged, reaching $62 billion this year.

We’ve tried diplomacy. Getting the Taliban to the table was one of John Kerry’s core ambitions as secretary of state. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and his predecessor, Hamid Karzai, both made clear they were eager to reach an accommodation.

Result: The Taliban launched a rocket attack aimed at Kerry during his visit to the country last year. The group’s insistence that all foreign troops withdraw before it enters talks gives away its game, which isn’t to share power with the elected government, but to seize power from it.

What about two supposedly “untried” options: another surge, exceeding what Obama did in troop numbers but not limited by deadlines or restrictive rules of engagement; or, alternatively, a complete withdrawal of our troops?

But that’s been tried, too. Soviet forces in Afghanistan in the 1980s practiced a “bomb-the-stuff-out-of-them” approach to warfare, likely including the use of chemical weapons. They devoted a decade to the effort and lost. America effectively abandoned the region, too, as we imagined life in a supposedly post-historical world.

We know what happened next. Between 1990 and 2000, tens of thousands of Afghans — as many as a million people, according to one estimate — died in three waves of civil war. The Taliban took Kabul in 1996; Osama bin Laden returned that same year. Pakistan and India tested nuclear weapons two years later. Then came Sept. 11, 2001.

President Trump may think he’s trying something new with his Afghan policy. He isn’t. Obama killed a lot of terrorists. George W. Bush pursued what amounted to a “conditions-based” approach, without target dates for withdrawal. Both were often stern with Pakistan. Both conducted intensive policy reviews.

Trump may also think he’s going to “win” in Afghanistan. That’s not happening either, not in our lifetimes. Even if we could kill every insurgent tomorrow, they would return, as long as they can draw on the religious fanaticism of the madrasas, the ethnic ambitions of the Pashtun, and the profits of the heroin trade.

A more forthright president might have leveled with the American people. We won’t “win,” at least as most of us imagine winning. But we can’t leave, not least because it would create the kind of vacuum in Afghanistan that the Islamic State so swiftly filled, to such devastating local and international effect, in Syria and Iraq.

What can we do? With relatively modest troop increases, we can provide the elected Afghan government with sufficient military support to reverse some of the Taliban’s recent gains and ensure that it cannot seize Afghan cities or control entire provinces. With relatively modest troop numbers, we can also try to keep U.S. casualties relatively low over time, avoiding the political race to the exits when combat fatalities rise.

Bottom line: We need an approach that’s Afghan-sufficient, from a military point of view, and America-sustainable, from a political one, for the sake of an open-ended commitment to an ill-starred country from which there is no way out.

Trump, incredibly, may have alighted on the best of a bad set of Afghan options.   "

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:15am by Joey »  

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1997 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:10pm
Pdog wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am:
Some of us are listening. you have allies, who are learning everyday what it's like for women, TG and POC people.

Thank you for your nice words of comfort.  But, as one of my brothers reminded me.  It isn't always about race, sometimes people are just plain mean for no reason. Like maybe, they were having a bad day and they took it out on the wrong person.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #1998 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 10:17am
gorda wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:10pm:
Pdog wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:02am:

Thank you for your nice words of comfort.  But, as one of my brothers reminded me.  It isn't always about race, sometimes people are just plain mean for no reason. Like maybe, they were having a bad day and they took it out on the wrong person.

Hold on.  I'm listening more than he is.  POCs, PW/OCs, TGs, DNAs, ♀️s, Sapiens, AAs, A-As, I-As, N-As, WASCs,  AWACs, JuDs, all of them and more.  Tell me something bad that happened to you or anyone you know or even anyone you've even heard of, and I swear to J. Christ on a popsicle stick that I will be freakin' outraged and blame a enormous group of ignorant culprits!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #1999 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 1:59pm
moonie likes Conner McGregor Saturday night. You know why.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 276
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)