Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"NEW" David Bowie album... (Read 3,998 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
"NEW" David Bowie album...
Jul 24th, 2016 at 9:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
https://www.enca.com/life/entertainment/bowies-the-gouster-full-album-is-release...

JOHANNESBURG -
David Bowie's 'The Gouster' full album has been released.

The late music legend's unreleased LP has been unveiled and is set to feature as part of a new box set, which include popular hits he made during a two year span in his music career from 1974 to 1976, according to his estate, which has since been reported on the Rolling Stone website.

Although a few singles from the seven-track collection have been released, this will be the first time fans of the 'Starman' hitmaker - who died of cancer in January - will be able to listen and purchase the album in its entirety.

However a spokesperson believes singles from 'The Gouster' have "morphed" into his 1975 album 'The Young Americans', which was when the musician adopted a new persona as the Thin White Duke.

Speaking about the release, Bowie's producer Tony Visconti said: "[It is] 40 minutes of glorious funk".

The tracks feature on the LP include a re-recording of 'John, I'm Only Dancing', 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' and 'Right'.

In the notes of the track Visconti uncovers the meaning behind the title, which referred to the fashion trends in America during the sixties.

He said: "[Gouster was] a word unfamiliar to me, but David knew it as a type of dress code worn by African American teens in the '60s in Chicago.

"In the context of the album, its meaning was attitude, an attitude of pride and hipness.

"Of all the songs we cut, we were enamoured of the ones we chose for the album that portrayed this attitude."

And Visconti has revealed the pair had always intended to write a "killer" album.

He explained: "We weren't 'young, gifted and black', but we sure as hell wanted to make a killer soul album, which was quite insane, but pioneers like the Righteous Brothers were there before us."
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 1:49pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: "NEW" David Bowie album...
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 7:49pm
this is ground control

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 5:58pm
the last box set was amazing...

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:44am
Now that they're re-releasing the Nassau Coliseum 1975 concert in yet another box set, I hope they put the drum solo back in Panic in Detroit, since last time they edited it out like the wrong-headed, ahistorical, obsessive baby executives they are over at record companies - proving that the bootleggers get it right and are the better historians.  Nyah.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:13pm
andrews27 wrote on Jul 28th, 2016 at 8:44am:
Now that they're re-releasing the Nassau Coliseum 1975 concert in yet another box set, I hope they put the drum solo back in Panic in Detroit, since last time they edited it out like the wrong-headed, ahistorical, obsessive baby executives they are over at record companies - proving that the bootleggers get it right and are the better historians.  Nyah.

well said. i hate revisionism!! let it all hang out

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:23pm
I hate car alarms, but I adore people. And David Bowie was not a genius, but most of today's current pop rock acts would kill to have a glimpse of his talent. John Lennon was a genius [and a woman beater, it seems], Bob Dylan is a genius [ditto], Paul McCartney is a genius. It doesn't matter if you smack your wife, she probably deserved it.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 9:00pm
BONOISLOVE wrote on Jul 28th, 2016 at 1:23pm:
I hate car alarms, but I adore people. And David Bowie was not a genius, but most of today's current pop rock acts would kill to have a glimpse of his talent. John Lennon was a genius [and a woman beater, it seems], Bob Dylan is a genius [ditto], Paul McCartney is a genius. It doesn't matter if you smack your wife, she probably deserved it.

You deserve a smack across the face just for saying that!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 6:11pm

They made it available in its full 'glory' as an i-tunes download, did they not?

It was a wise move. It would have made the live album a double CD (and the box set even pricier) all because of a bit of overlong self indulgent wankery.

Dennis Davis was one of the unsung heroes of that period in Bowie's career - but it doesnt detract from the fact that anyone who inflicts a drum solo on an audience that lasts more than about 30 seconds needs pummelled.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 4th, 2016 at 6:11pm:

They made it available in its full 'glory' as an i-tunes download, did they not?

It was a wise move. It would have made the live album a double CD (and the box set even pricier) all because of a bit of overlong self indulgent wankery.

Dennis Davis was one of the unsung heroes of that period in Bowie's career - but it doesnt detract from the fact that anyone who inflicts a drum solo on an audience that lasts more than about 30 seconds needs pummelled.

I knew this was coming.  If you have one of the various boots of the Nassau Coliseum show, you know that Dennis Davis' African percussion-influenced solo is not wankery, but an exciting and crucial element of the song.  It's important as a foretaste of black musical styles in Bowie, and also historically relevant in that it disguised Bowie's lengthy mid-show toot-and-a-fag break.*  If you saw it live as I did in Buffalo in 1976, you wouldn't scoff.  This is the same thing I tell people who didn't see the August 1975 TOTA farewell show at Rich Stadium - you had to be there.

I myself tolerate no iTunes - I won't pay for lossy compression, and I only take it for free out of occasional desperation for better.

Can I get a witness to the value of that solo?  If some record company cut five seconds from a Stones song for the sake of making two CDs into one, we'd never let them hear the end of it.

_____
*We Americans who, with our eminent sense of fair play, have saved England's baked beans over and over again (and have even provided those baked beans, courtesy of the great H. J. Heinz company and the International Monetary Fund) will deny no hard working English artiste type his well-earned recreational moment.  But we will not see it stricken from the historical record, either.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:09pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:10pm

I like the song Let's Dance!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:10pm:
I like the song Let's Dance!

Tequila night tonight?  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 9:43am
Some snippets here from the infamous Gouster tape reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yvw0U-bRXw

From the Pushing Ahead Of the Dame site:

The rumors were true. Many Bowie researchers had concluded that “Shilling the Rubes,” long considered to be a lost Bowie classic, was only just a working title for Young Americans, a name that bootleggers occasionally slapped upon another outtake. Then in 2009, a reel from Bowie’s Sigma sessions supposedly turned up in a Philadelphia street fair (it’s speculated that the tape went astray (cough) from the rest of the Sigma reels, which are housed in the Drexel University Audio Archive) and it subsequently sold on eBay for $15,000.

The tape, apparently a rough mix from early in the sessions (13 August), featured an early take of “Young Americans,” a rewrite of the Astronettes song “I Am a Laser,” an early version of known YA outtake “After Today” and the grail itself: “Shilling the Rubes.”

Only about a minute’s worth of each track circulated, apparently as a sampler for prospective buyers on eBay. So all we have of “Rubes” are an eight-bar intro in which Mike Garson’s piano faces off against Andy Newmark’s drums, and the first verse, which is an intriguing bit of sleaze by Bowie, suggesting that “Rubes” was revisiting the love-as-prostitution theme of “Sweet Thing.” The fragment cuts off before the chorus (if there was one), thus retaining “Rubes”‘ status as the great unheard Bowie song. One imagines the whole four-minute track will turn up someday (though there’s already been a gold-plated reissue of Young Americans), but until then “Shilling The Rubes” will remain largely imaginary.

Recorded 13 August 1974. Perhaps only one person on the planet besides Bowie can listen to “Rubes” in its entirety. And there’s of course the chance that the whole story’s fraudulent (though the outtake really sounds genuine), which would be fitting given the song’s title, an equivalent to “fooling the suckers.”

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/tag/shilling-the-rubes/

These are the versions on The Gouster
Side 1

1. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again) – not on ‘Young Americans’, first released as a single in 1979.
2. Somebody Up There Likes Me – alternative early previously unreleased mix
3. It’s Gonna Be Me – not on ‘Young Americans’, first released as a bonus track on the EMI/Ryko edition of ‘Young Americans’ in 1990. An alternative mix with strings was released on the 2007 EMI edition of ‘Young Americans’.
Side 2

1. Who Can I Be Now? – not on ‘Young Americans’, first released as a bonus track on the EMI/Ryko edition of ‘Young Americans’ in 1990.
2. Can You Hear Me – alternative early previously unreleased version.
3. Young Americans – same version that ended up on ‘Young Americans’. shame it's not the early run through
4. Right – alternative early previously unreleased version.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:13pm
this makes me moist

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:54am

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/95800

David Bowie abandoned covering Bruce Springsteen after meeting him

Producer Tony Visconti recalls tense meeting between the pair

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/95800#fC4gO4IrtbSz14DH.99

David Bowie abandoned work on a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song after playing his cover version to the singer, Bowie’s producer has revealed.

Tony Visconti revealed that Bowie planned to cover Springsteen’s song ‘It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City’ during the sessions for what would eventually become Bowie’s 1975 album ‘Young Americans’.

Writing in the new Uncut, Visconti recalled how he asked Springsteen to visit Bowie in the studio in Philadelphia. Visconti wrote: “David was quite taken by meeting Bruce. We played ‘Saint’ to him and he kept a poker face the whole time. He said nothing when it was finished.

“David took him into another room for a private chat. By the time Bruce left, he was more pleasant and said his goodbyes to the rest of us. David and I never worked on ‘Saint’ after that, although it was finished or re-recorded eventually with someone else.”

Bowie’s version of the song, which appears on Springsteen’s 1973 debut album ‘Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ’, eventually appeared on his 1989 box-set ‘Sound + Vision’.

The new David Bowie box-set ‘Who Can I Be Now? 1974-76’, out September 23, includes ‘Young Americans’ and previously-unreleased album ‘The Gouster’, which eventually transformed into ‘Young Americans’. It also features new rarities/unreleased album ‘Re-Call 2’, the albums ‘Diamond Dogs’ and ‘Station To Station’ plus live albums ‘David Live’ and ‘Live Nassau Coliseum 76’.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/95800#fC4gO4IrtbSz14DH.99

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:14am

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:15am

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 6:48am
I'll be getting this box eventually, even though I already have most of it. Just because - well, ya know...it's Bowie...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)