Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garth Brooks, Rolling Stones fight ticket scalpers in their own way (Read 593 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Garth Brooks, Rolling Stones fight ticket scalpers in their own way
Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Garth Brooks, Rolling Stones fight ticket scalpers in their own way

By MIKE WEATHERFORD
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

What’s the difference between Garth Brooks and the Rolling Stones?

Start your own office punch-line contest, but here’s one answer: Five shows and $665.

Both are playing T-Mobile Arena. Brooks has four more concerts Saturday through Monday (two on Saturday), and the Stones are playing Oct. 19.

But Stones tickets top out at $750 — and that’s for much of the lower level, not just the first few rows — while Brooks tickets are a uniform $85 for any seat in the house.

What’s the thinking there? We all know people don’t actually pay for many albums anymore, and stars have to make it up on the road, right?

“Let me explain the theory, OK? If you’re the Stones you can ask whatever you (expletive) want,” Brooks said with a laugh when he met with reporters last week.

“Those guys have earned it,” he added. “And the truth is man, I don’t think going to see the Stones is what it used to be. I think what it is now is more, ‘I got to see them. I can say I saw them.’ Like if Elviscame today, you’d pay 750 bucks to say you saw him.”

But for his shows, “it’s the luck of the draw, that’s it. It isn’t like if you got more money, you get to get closer. I’ve never enjoyed that. For somebody like the Stones I get it, but not for us.”

Brooks recalled he and Wynn Las Vegas CEO Steve Wynn had “a big go-round” over ticket prices during the country superstar’s Wynn residency in 2010. The star insisted upon a uniform ticket price. “(Wynn) goes, ‘You’re crazy but OK.’ And they were $125, which I thought was stupid.”

After a year, Wynn told him, “I’m taking it over because you don’t know what you’re doing.” But the new ticket price of $225 “sold out quicker,” Brooks said. “And the quality of the whole crowd was (better).”

I asked Brooks about Broadway’s “Hamilton” raising the top ticket to $849, its producers arguing that if people will pay scalpers that much, the money should go to the creators and investors.

“My job is to make sure there’s enough tickets available for anyone who wants them,” Brooks said of doing six dates in Las Vegas. (And on that level he succeeded. His first show didn’t sell out.)

“I mean, I don’t like scalping. I think capital punishment’s a good answer for scalping. But it is part of this world, and my job is to make sure that if people don’t want to go to scalpers, they don’t have to.”

By the way, Brooks isn’t talking you out of dropping the $750 on the Stones.

Of Mick Jagger he says, “I don’t know how he does it, but every time he comes you go, ‘He won’t be that great next time. He can’t be, as old as he is.’ And every time it’s fantastic. That’s a stupid amount of money, but I’m going to tell you right now, it’s worth it.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/mike-weatherford/garth-brooks...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Garth Brooks, Rolling Stones fight ticket scalpers in their own way
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
That is some horrible journalistic writing....

It reads the way my 10 year olds tell stories to me the days events sometimes...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)