Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley Guitarist, Dead at 84 (Read 1,535 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley Guitarist, Dead at 84
Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:16am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley Guitarist, Dead at 84

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist performed on "Hound Dog," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Blue Suede Shoes" and dozens more Presley classics

BY DANIEL KREPS June 28, 2016

Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley's longtime guitarist and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, died Tuesday at his home in Nashville, the Commercial Appeal reports. No cause of death was provided, but Moore had been in poor health in recent months. He was 84. Karen Fontana, the wife of Presley drummer D.J. Fontana, also confirmed Moore's death to Rolling Stone.

“It’s with great sadness we say goodbye to Scotty Moore, my first inspiration," Keith Richards said in a statement. "The work he performed on those incredible early Elvis tracks stays with me forever. Farewell old friend."

"We lost one of the finest people I have ever met today," Sun Studio engineer Matt Ross-Spang wrote on Instagram. "I was lucky to call you a friend and I'm very glad I got to see you just a few days ago. The guitarist that changed the world ... especially mine; I hope you don't mind if I keep stealing your licks. Love you Scotty."

Born in Gadsden, Tennessee, Moore began playing guitar at the age of eight, and after a stint in the U.S. Navy in the early Fifties, moved to Memphis and formed the Starlite Wrangers with bassist Bill Black. In 1954, Sun Records impresario Sam Phillips paired Moore with a teenaged Elvis Presley. Together, along with Black, they would record Presley's first single, "That's All Right (Mama)." The recording session was only meant to be an audition; instead, the trio made music history.

"I heard that Sam Phillips had a little studio and record label and I went to see him about getting a record out," Moore told Rolling Stone in 2010. "I knew that if we could make a record, we'd get more places to play around town. Sam agreed to record us and he and I became good friends. Then one day we were having coffee, and his secretary actually brought up Elvis' name. He had dropped by the studio with the hope of recording something. So Sam said, 'Call this guy up and get him to go over to your house and see what you think of him.' So he came to my house on the Fourth of July. It was kind of a pre-audition."

Moore, Black and drummer D.J. Fontana would soon form the Blue Moon Boys, a union that would back Presley on dozens of legendary rock & roll songs over the next decade, including "Heartbreak Hotel," "Mystery Train," "Blue Suede Shoes," "Hound Dog," "Jailhouse Rock" and "(You're the) Devil in Disguise."

Moore, with the Blue Moon Boys, would also appear in four of Presley's films – Jailhouse Rock, Loving You, King Creole and G.I. Blues. In 1964, Phillips fired Moore after he recorded a solo album; however, Presley reunited with the guitarist for his '68 Comeback Special; Black died in 1965.

Moore's unique style – played on a Gibson Super 400 – on those iconic Presley singles inspired generations of future guitar players. "When I heard 'Heartbreak Hotel,' I knew what I wanted to do in life. It was as plain as day. All I wanted to do in the world was to be able to play and sound like that," Keith Richards once said. "Everyone else wanted to be Elvis, I wanted to be Scotty."

In addition to Presley, Moore worked with artists like Richards, Ringo Starr, Carl Perkins, Jeff Beck, Levon Helm, Ronnie Wood and more. Moore was also named to Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists list.

Moore was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000 as part of the inaugural class celebrating sidemen, a category that honored "those musicians who have spent their careers out of the spotlight, performing as backup musicians for major artists on recording sessions and in concert."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scotty-moore-elvis-presley-guitarist-dead...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley Guitarist, Dead at 84
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:58am
RIP Scotty, I have a copy of All The Kings Men CD autographed by Scotty that I will cherish forever.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 2:26pm

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 2:38pm
RIP  Scotty.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:49pm

Moore, Black and drummer D.J. Fontana, the Blue Moon Boys, now that's a back up band, fit for a King!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:53pm
gimmekeef wrote on Jun 30th, 2016 at 6:58am:
RIP Scotty, I have a copy of All The Kings Men CD autographed by Scotty that I will cherish forever.

thats awesome!!

rest in peace mr moore thanks for the music

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 6:31pm

Keith Richards on Scotty Moore: 'He Was My Hero'

Elvis' iconic Fifties guitarist is remembered by one of his greatest fans

A deep love of the blues united the great British rock guitarists who came of age in the Sixties, but for some, Scotty Moore – best known as Elvis' right-hand man on era-defining classics as "Jailhouse Rock" and "Heartbreak Hotel" – was every bit as influential. Keith Richards in particular wrote in Life that "Scotty Moore was my icon." Recently, in the wake of Moore's death at age 84, Richards spoke to Rolling Stone about his early idol.

Elvis would not have been Elvis without Scotty Moore. When I was a kid, after the BBC would shut off, another station would come on, called Radio Luxembourg. It had terrible reception – I'd be carrying my radio all around my room. That's how I heard "Heartbreak Hotel." I was an acoustic player, lurking in the folk area. But that's when I knew I wanted to go electric.

Scotty Moore was my hero. There's a little jazz in his playing, some great country licks and a grounding in the blues as well. It's never been duplicated. I can't copy it. The closest I came was tracks like "Parachute Woman," where I fooled around with echoes – those early Elvis recordings got me interested in the possibility of the studio. The first one I got had some of the Sun stuff: "Baby Let's Play House," "Milkcow Blues Boogie." But "Mystery Train" is the apex. It's just Bill Black on bass, Elvis on acoustic, and Scotty. No drums. And it's just the most amazingly huge sound. Elvis didn't age as well as he should have, but at 19, 20 years old, it was mind-boggling. There's a run-down that Scotty does on several cuts, like "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone," which I've never figured out. When I'd ask Scotty, he'd just give me a sly grin.

All we really know about Scotty are those relatively few tracks. He stopped recording with Elvis in the early Sixties, though he did return for the '68 special. I was hoping they would pick up the thread together, but it didn't happen. He was probably still getting paid scale – that band got paid scale for Jailhouse Rock and everything. If you were working with the Colonel, good luck.
Scotty's two big influences were Les Paul and Chet Atkins, the innovators of the damned thing. He was a gentle, unassuming guy. He liked his scotch – they didn't call him Scotty for nothing. In 1996, I went up to Woodstock to do a session at Levon Helm's barn with Levon, Scotty and Elvis' drummer D.J. Fontana. I've gotten used to playing with my heroes – I played with Little Richard in his dressing room when I was 19, thinking, "This'll do!" – but this was the crème de la crème. It was a session of good old boys. There was plenty of whiskey that day. There will never be another Scotty Moore.

As told to Patrick Doyle

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/keith-richards-on-scotty-moore-he-was...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 9:15pm
RIP.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)