Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mick Jagger: Recruitment firm failed to find Rolling Stones frontman job (Read 656 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Mick Jagger: Recruitment firm failed to find Rolling Stones frontman job
May 18th, 2016 at 7:46pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Mick Jagger: Recruitment firm failed to find Rolling Stones frontman job

19 May 2016
by Nikki Whiten
[email protected]

Mick Jagger may never have joined The Rolling Stones had it not been for a lack of suitable work at a recruitment company.

Kent-based HR GO Recruitment prides itself on finding jobs for most candidates.

But it could give no satisfaction to the teenage Michael Jagger when the Dartford lad strolled into Dartford Staff Employment Bureau – now HR GO plc – in the early 1960s looking for a job.

The soon-to-be Rolling Stone was then an A-level student at Dartford Grammar School.

The long-haired youth was interviewed by company founder Betty Parkinson.

Sadly she is no longer with us, but her son Jack, chairman of HR GO, the national company that emerged from its Dartford roots, remembers that after Mick became famous, she would often recall that encounter.

She told Jack: “I sat him down and took his details but we did not have anything suitable on the books and I told him we would contact him if and when we did.”

She admitted that with his appearance, she would have found it hard to recommend him to any of her major clients. Of course, time was on his side – and you can’t always get what you want.

Jack, who lives in Leeds village, near Maidstone, is a year younger than Mick and a big Stones’ fan.

He is the proud owner of a tie displaying the stuck-out-tongue hallmark he bought at a sell-out Rolling Stones’ gig at Wembley.

Many examples of that tongue image are on display at Exhibitionism, the Stones’ retrospective at the Saatchi Gallery in London until September 4.

“I loved their music,” Jack said. “A friend and I would sit down on a Sunday afternoon and play their hit tracks like Sympathy for the Devil and Brown Sugar.”

If Betty Parkinson had found Mick a job all those decades ago, would it have taken him in a different career direction? Would we have ever heard his name? Would Honky Tonk Women and Under My Thumb been written? Would Jerry Hall have become a celebrity and gone on to be Mrs Rupert Murdoch?

What is certain is that HR GO played a crucial role in one of the “what-ifs” of rock music history.

For millions of pop fans worldwide, it’s a good job that – for once – HR GO could not satisfy a client.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/i-cant-get-no-job-96079/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Re: Mick Jagger: Recruitment firm failed to find Rolling Stones frontman job
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2016 at 8:17pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Yay for... unemployment. Huh. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Anyone need someone who knows the basics of mixing a song with FL Studio and a singer who needs to practice more?

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)