Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Post New Stones Album Info Here: (Read 121,112 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Post New Stones Album Info Here:
Reply #325 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:32pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I take full credit for this after my several "Old school record, please" posts.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #326 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:50pm
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:43pm:
Gazza wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:09am:
Thanks Rogerriffin

This is the track list

1. Just Your Fool
  2. Commit A Crime
  3. Blue And Lonesome
  4. All Of Your Love
  5. I Gotta Go
  6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing
  7. Ride 'Em On Down
  8. Hate To See You Go
  9. Hoo Doo Blues
  10. Little Rain
  11. Just Like I Treat You
  12. I Can't Quit You Baby

There's a bit of Stones history with some of these songs

Mick performed "Everybody Knows About My Baby" at the National Music Day 'Celebration of the Blues' concert at Hammersmith Odeon on 28.6.92. He was backed by Gary Moore and The Midnight Blues Band. The performance was released as a bonus track on the CD single of "Dont Tear Me Up" in April 1993.

Whilst there's (obviously) no recording of it, "Ride 'Em On Down" was played at the first ever Stones concert at the Marquee on 12th July 1962.

And a big thanks to Jos for sourcing the origins of the songs :

1. Just Your Fool (Walter Jacobs)
The original was written and recorded by Little Walter in December 1960 and released on the Checker label, a subsidiary of Chess Records. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

2. Commit A Crime (Chester Burnett)
The original was written and recorded by Howlin’ Wolf on 11 April 1966. It was essentially a new version of a song called, ‘I’m Leaving You’ that was first recorded in September 1958 and released as Chess Records. Neither track was a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

3. Blue And Lonesome (Walter Jacobs)
The original was written and recorded by Little Walter on 12 August 1959. Released on Checker Records, coupled with ‘Mean Ol Frisco’. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

4. All Of Your Love (Samuel Maghett)
The original was written and recorded by Magic Sam in Chicago in 1967 and released on the album, West Side Soul on the Delmark label. Magic Sam originally recorded a version of the song in 1957 as ‘All Your Love’ for the Cobra label. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

5. I Gotta Go (Walter Jacobs)
Written and recorded by Little Walter on 28 April 1955, it was released as the b-side of a Checker single, coupled with ‘Roller Coaster’. The a-side made the Billboard R&B chart on 9 July 1955 and peaked at No.6

6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (Miles Grayson & Lermon Horton)
Recorded by Little Johnny Taylor in 1971 it made No.9 on the Billboard R & B chart and No.60 on the Hot 100 at the end of the same year. It became the title track of Little Johnny Taylor’s 1972 album on Ronn Records.

7. Ride ‘Em On Down (Eddie Taylor)
Written and recorded by Eddie Taylor’s in Chicago on 5 December 1955 for the Vee-Jay label. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

8. Hate To See You Go (Walter Jacobs)
Witten and recorded on 12 August 1955 by Little Walter and His Jukes for the Checker label as the b-side of ‘Too Late’. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B chart.

9. Hoo Doo Blues (Otis Hicks & Jerry West)
Recorded by Lightnin’ Slim in Crowley, Louisiana 1958 for the Excello label it was not a hit on the Billboard charts

10. Little Rain (Ewart. G.Abner Jr. and Jimmy Reed)
Jimmy Reed recorded this on 9 January 1957 in Chicago for the Vee-Jay label. It wa the a-side of a single with ‘Honey Where You Going’ on the flip side. ‘Little Rain made No.7 on the Billboard R&B charts in April 1957.

11. Just Like I Treat You (Willie Dixon)
Written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Howlin’ Wolf in December 1961, it was released on Chess Records coupled with ‘I Ain’t Superstitious’ in April 1962. It failed to make the Billboard R & B chart.

12. I Can’t Quit You Baby (Willie Dixon)
Written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Otis Rush at his very first session in Chicago in 1956 for the Cobra label. It made No.6 on the Billboard R & B chart in October 1956.

Thank you for this. I was looking them up and listening to them myself ... Leave it to you to have all the research complete.

Thanks so much !! Glad you like it.
Is it better or worse or on par with what you thought it would sound like?

Ian

??? I havent heard the Stones versions yet...

Cant take credit for the research. UrbanSteel is the man who deserves the plaudits.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:53pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #327 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:06pm
andrews27 wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:32pm:
I take full credit for this after my several "Old school record, please" posts.

hats off to you for the suggestions and for mr billens scoops!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #328 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Just heard it- It is good! Looking forward to this cd...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #329 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:23pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:50pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:43pm:
Gazza wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:09am:
Thanks Rogerriffin

This is the track list

1. Just Your Fool
  2. Commit A Crime
  3. Blue And Lonesome
  4. All Of Your Love
  5. I Gotta Go
  6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing
  7. Ride 'Em On Down
  8. Hate To See You Go
  9. Hoo Doo Blues
  10. Little Rain
  11. Just Like I Treat You
  12. I Can't Quit You Baby

There's a bit of Stones history with some of these songs

Mick performed "Everybody Knows About My Baby" at the National Music Day 'Celebration of the Blues' concert at Hammersmith Odeon on 28.6.92. He was backed by Gary Moore and The Midnight Blues Band. The performance was released as a bonus track on the CD single of "Dont Tear Me Up" in April 1993.

Whilst there's (obviously) no recording of it, "Ride 'Em On Down" was played at the first ever Stones concert at the Marquee on 12th July 1962.

And a big thanks to Jos for sourcing the origins of the songs :

1. Just Your Fool (Walter Jacobs)
The original was written and recorded by Little Walter in December 1960 and released on the Checker label, a subsidiary of Chess Records. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

2. Commit A Crime (Chester Burnett)
The original was written and recorded by Howlin’ Wolf on 11 April 1966. It was essentially a new version of a song called, ‘I’m Leaving You’ that was first recorded in September 1958 and released as Chess Records. Neither track was a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

3. Blue And Lonesome (Walter Jacobs)
The original was written and recorded by Little Walter on 12 August 1959. Released on Checker Records, coupled with ‘Mean Ol Frisco’. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

4. All Of Your Love (Samuel Maghett)
The original was written and recorded by Magic Sam in Chicago in 1967 and released on the album, West Side Soul on the Delmark label. Magic Sam originally recorded a version of the song in 1957 as ‘All Your Love’ for the Cobra label. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

5. I Gotta Go (Walter Jacobs)
Written and recorded by Little Walter on 28 April 1955, it was released as the b-side of a Checker single, coupled with ‘Roller Coaster’. The a-side made the Billboard R&B chart on 9 July 1955 and peaked at No.6

6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (Miles Grayson & Lermon Horton)
Recorded by Little Johnny Taylor in 1971 it made No.9 on the Billboard R & B chart and No.60 on the Hot 100 at the end of the same year. It became the title track of Little Johnny Taylor’s 1972 album on Ronn Records.

7. Ride ‘Em On Down (Eddie Taylor)
Written and recorded by Eddie Taylor’s in Chicago on 5 December 1955 for the Vee-Jay label. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B charts

8. Hate To See You Go (Walter Jacobs)
Witten and recorded on 12 August 1955 by Little Walter and His Jukes for the Checker label as the b-side of ‘Too Late’. It was not a hit on the Billboard R & B chart.

9. Hoo Doo Blues (Otis Hicks & Jerry West)
Recorded by Lightnin’ Slim in Crowley, Louisiana 1958 for the Excello label it was not a hit on the Billboard charts

10. Little Rain (Ewart. G.Abner Jr. and Jimmy Reed)
Jimmy Reed recorded this on 9 January 1957 in Chicago for the Vee-Jay label. It wa the a-side of a single with ‘Honey Where You Going’ on the flip side. ‘Little Rain made No.7 on the Billboard R&B charts in April 1957.

11. Just Like I Treat You (Willie Dixon)
Written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Howlin’ Wolf in December 1961, it was released on Chess Records coupled with ‘I Ain’t Superstitious’ in April 1962. It failed to make the Billboard R & B chart.

12. I Can’t Quit You Baby (Willie Dixon)
Written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Otis Rush at his very first session in Chicago in 1956 for the Cobra label. It made No.6 on the Billboard R & B chart in October 1956.

Thank you for this. I was looking them up and listening to them myself ... Leave it to you to have all the research complete.

Thanks so much !! Glad you like it.
Is it better or worse or on par with what you thought it would sound like?

Ian

??? I havent heard the Stones versions yet...

Cant take credit for the research. UrbanSteel is the man who deserves the plaudits.

I mean I was looking up these songs to hear the originals (just to get a lil indication on what was to come on The Stones release) and browsing through their release dates..
and who sang em etc. Now it is all right here for me. Thx.

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #330 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:31pm
https://youtu.be/HbRmlHWWU-0
Mick did "Commit A Crime" at the White House a few years back.

I can't wait for the Stones' version.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2016 at 2:47am by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #331 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 5:51am
Guys, the version I heard sounds like he is singing thru a megaphone or something. I hope it's just these lap top speakers but I am concerned as I do not care for that type of sound.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #332 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 7:00am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 7th, 2016 at 5:51am:
Guys, the version I heard sounds like he is singing thru a megaphone or something. I hope it's just these lap top speakers but I am concerned as I do not care for that type of sound.

I strongly suggest you never listen to Winchester Cathedral then......

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #333 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 8:42am
The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was

By Mark Savage
BBC Music reporter

The Rolling Stones' new album of blues covers was created after attempts to record new material faltered, producer Don Was has told the BBC.

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs," said Was, who has worked with the band since 1994.

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.

"Fortunately we ran the tape and it was just awesome."

He told BBC Radio 6 Music: "The whole mood of the room changed dramatically in those three-and-a-half minutes. So we said, 'let's do another one', and 'let's do another one'.

"They just called songs off that they knew and loved. It was very spontaneous. And by the end of the day we had six."

The result is Blue and Lonesome, the band's first studio album since 2005's A Bigger Bang.

In total, 12 tracks were recorded over three days at London's British Grove Studios. They are all covers of songs by classic bluesmen, including Howlin' Wolf (Commit a Crime), Little Walter (I Gotta Go) and Jimmy Reed (Little Rain).

"They really know this music well," Was told Matt Everitt. "Most of the songs that are on there are songs they played when they first started out, playing pubs in Richmond, so it's kind of second nature to them.

"They do not play karaoke versions. They found their own way to interpret the blues."

Rock legend Eric Clapton also appears on two tracks, Little Johnny Taylor's Everybody Knows About My Good Thing and Otis Rush's I Can't Quit You Baby.

"Eric Clapton was recording next door," explained Was. "He just walked over and he had the same reaction as everyone else did. His jaw just dropped.

"Picture the Rolling Stones just set up in a circle in one room [and] the amplifiers are blaring.

"It reminded him of when he was a teenager, going to see the Stones playing in Richmond. He was just in awe, so he just grabbed one of Keith's guitars and started playing. It was quite a thing."

Blue and Lonesome will be released in December, while the first single Just Your Fool is available from Friday 7 October, to fans who pre-order the record.

Was added that the Stones had not abandoned plans to complete an album of new material.

"Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs," he told Matt Everitt. "They're far from done."

Follow us on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, on Instagram, or if you have a story suggestion email [email protected].

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37583706

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #334 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 1:24pm
FPM wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:31pm:
https://youtu.be/HbRmlHWWU-0
Mick did "Commit A Crime" at the White House a few years back.

I can't wait for the Stones' version.

Forgot about that one. Nice one.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #335 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:12pm

I think he's singing through the harmonica mic. He did the same on Love Is Strong.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #336 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 7:08pm
The Wick wrote on Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:12pm:

I think he's singing through the harmonica mic. He did the same on Love Is Strong.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2016 at 7:15pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #337 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 12:15am
Paranoid Android wrote on Oct 6th, 2016 at 4:14pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 12:24am:
All this is pure speculation ... but it 'appears' The Stones will resume 'performing live' activity in October. I'd expect the new album to come out right around that same time.

They are talking about playing a the big music festival known as Coachella on October 7th. I'd expect their own set of shows to be in planning to occur right around the same time ....with the release of the album to coincide with that

... This is all and only based because if they are to be performing live around October... I'd say almost ...'positively'... the album would surely be out / released at that same time.

Ian Billen wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:04pm:
Here is what we know for certain...

1. There is a brand new studio album in the works

2. They first got together to officially work on it in December of last year.

3. They cut a few new songs in December and several blues covers (none of the blues covers are certain to make it to the album).

Strong evidence:

- They are working on it on and off as we speak ..most likely in London (per Keith)
- It is to be released later this year
- Release time frame is this fall.. most likely October / November.

Pure speculation:

It is an album consisting of mostly Blues covers
The Producer? (nobody knows who it is).

That is where we are. It's the straight dope -

Well Thank ya kindly .. though I was not '100%' spot on...

and actually I simply took notes from a few credible people and what The Stones were reporting themselves and pieced it together is all.

There were others looking forecasting things very similar just as well.

Thanks for the kind post though, Mate. Much appreciated.
I always get flack when I'm incorrect (good to see Im noticed when Im not).

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #338 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Looking forward to getting it in the least expensive version.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #339 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 8:55pm
Hahaha...I'm heading over to stonesMart to get the super deluxe edition.  When the Boys finally do exactly what I've prayed they would for decades, the least I can do is support the effort.

Mick's gonna have nappies to buy soon, too.

...&&&&
IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #340 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 10:11pm
FPM wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 8:55pm:
Hahaha...I'm heading over to stonesMart to get the super deluxe edition.  When the Boys finally do exactly what I've prayed they would for decades, the least I can do is support the effort.

Mick's gonna have nappies to buy soon, too.

For himself?
Blank Frigging Stare

What does Sirstonesalot think of the Stones releasing a blues album? Is it enough to bring him back?

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #341 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 6:51am
Bitch wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 7:31pm:
Looking forward to getting it in the least expensive version.

I admire your self-control, I've just ordered both the box set and the vinyl Smiley

FotiniD  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #342 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 9:16am
I bought the single on itunes. That's my contribution.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #343 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 1:41pm
I've listened to it a few times now and I absolutely love it. The two things I love about this album are that it is a showcasing of Mick's incredible talent as a bluesman. He is a musicologist with a fascinating and deep knowledge of the blues that he doesn't express enough. Very few people can play the blues harp like him and his inflection when he sings the blues is masterful. I just wish he embraced this side of his vast skill set more.

Also, this sounds like it could have been on their first album. This is the heart of the Rolling Stones. When they do stuff like this, they get to the core of what they were formed for. The way I look at it is that Brian Jones, Bill Wyman, or Stu could easily step in here and it would, more or less, sound like this. Obviously, this is the Rolling Stones in 2016, so no one can reasonably expect them to sound like they did in the early 60s, but this - along with Plundered My Soul - is the best thing they have released in ages. The big problem I see though is that songs need to be given life by being played live, and I doubt more than 1 or 2 of these will get a run out. If they really cared about pushing this album, they could play smaller gigs and only these songs, but that will NEVER happen.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #344 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 2:06am
I'm so excited about the new blues album that I'm typing this with my PUSSY!  #MAGA!

...&&&&
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #345 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:11am
This is going to be a kick ass album. I can't wait.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #346 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:22pm
I'm tired of the new song.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #347 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 12:29pm
Some Guy wrote on Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:22pm:
I'm tired of the new song.

Here this is. I wasn't seeing this thread for a while (must of over looked it). My bad? Anyway yes.. I am ready for another track as well.

Dont get me wrong... JYF is good.. I dig it.. but I want another glimpse. Ha.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #348 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 7:40pm
I wish I could hear the new song enough times to be sick of it.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #349 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 4:12pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 16th, 2016 at 7:40pm:
I wish I could hear the new song enough times to be sick of it.

It is weak IMO. If this is the first single off the album, I really hope there is something I can like.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)