Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Rolling Stones @ Exhibitionism's Private View and visitors reviews (Read 41,862 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Re: The Rolling Stones @ Exhibitionism's Private View and visitors reviews
Reply #50 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #51 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:39am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #52 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 7:20pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:50pm:
LOL

Mick Taylor was invited, don't know the reason why he didn't get the invitation and BTW micktaylor.com and the associated FB page was not registered by Mick, I don't know if later he got it but when created it was registered by "V. Taylor" (they did it that way to pretend being someone related with Mick Taylor, i.e. Valerie)

Was he, bollocks.  After asking about it, they left him two tickets which he had to pick up at a couple of hours notice.

He lives in Holland.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #53 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 8:38am
Gazza wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 7:20pm:
LOL

Mick Taylor was invited, don't know the reason why he didn't get the invitation and BTW micktaylor.com and the associated FB page was not registered by Mick, I don't know if later he got it but when created it was registered by "V. Taylor" (they did it that way to pretend being someone related with Mick Taylor, i.e. Valerie)

Was he, bollocks.  After asking about it, they left him two tickets which he had to pick up at a couple of hours notice.

He lives in Holland.

What a damn shame. 50+ years later, they're still treating people like shit.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #54 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 6:39pm
...If true...

As they are essentially humo(u)rists, the most important question, perhaps, is whether it's funnier or less funny than MT giving them two days notice in 1974.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #55 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 10th, 2016 at 7:20pm:
LOL

He lives in Holland.

EXACTLY! It seems that MICK T was either intentionally left out or was a late afterthought. BUT MICK T surely knew about Exhibitionism in advance (we did) so he could have made some calls and travel plans in advance if was into it and really wanted to go.

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #56 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:09am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #57 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Letter From Teacher To Rolling Stones Ends Up In London Exhibit

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/04/25/letter-from-teacher-to-rolling-stones-end...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #58 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 3:58pm
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 6:39pm:
...If true...

As they are essentially humo(u)rists, the most important question, perhaps, is whether it's funnier or less funny than MT giving them two days notice in 1974.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are men who enjoy loyalty and give loyalty  ( See : Johnny Carson )  .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #59 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 4:00pm
https://www.facebook.com/stonesexhibitionism/videos/1716163135289854/

I think this may qualify as one of the sweetest, most heart-warming video I've seen of those two. And they still look cool as hell.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #60 - May 16th, 2016 at 11:52am
Wish I was this guy:

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #61 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 4:49am
An expanded touring Exhibition would hopefully utilise additional gallery space to the extent of two moderately to decently sized rooms devoted exclusively to Trousers and at least one cubby-hole, closet or ante-room (possibly accessible via the currently locked door to the right of the Edith Groove kitchen recreation) that could be devoted to Stones-related under-garments.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2016 at 4:50am by WaiteringOnAFiend »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #62 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 1:01pm
I know it was posted earlier...but it went away with all the rest from last week...

Coming to New York's Industria Superstudio in November 2016, Exhibitionism is a once in a lifetime celebration of the creative life of true rock ‘n’ roll legends.

The Rolling Stones’ first ever major exhibition, Exhibitionism, delivered by DHL, will make its North American debut in New York City in November. Following its star-studded opening in London, which garnered rave reviews and drew huge crowds, Exhibitionism, will come across the pond to the iconic Industria Superstudio (775 Washington Street) in the West Village. Exhibitionism is the largest touring experience of its kind ever to be staged, and the first time in history the band has unlocked their vast private archive.

http://www.stonesexhibitionism.com/newyorkcity

http://wwwindustrianyc.com/

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2016 at 7:42pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #63 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:01pm
Thanks Fotini for posting the video, it was cute!

Thanks PA for the exhibitionist info! So I  guess they will announce a show or more in the NY area sometime around November.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #64 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:23pm

IP Logged

MP
Rocks Off Regular

I thought you were dinner,
but you were the shark

UK
Reply #65 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:49pm
Enjoyed it thoroughly.....not to be missed.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #66 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Managed to get to see it in London on Saturday, a day before it closed.

Hugely enjoyable. Better than I hoped (despite the gaffe about them chronicling some 1670 concerts after they'd officially acknowledged 10 years ago that this site had calculated they'd done 2,000 - looking at the timeline, I get the impression they're listing a lot of early dates as one concert on a day when they usually did a matinee and evening gig)

Anyway, no big deal. Really enjoyed the re-creation of Edith Grove, the studio room (the nerd in me wanted to steal all those studio notebooks and I could have stayed for hours at that mixing desk) and the 3-D finale was pretty special. Quite a few new things to learn about the Stones, even after all this time.

(Did you know that the hand that Mick is biting on the cover of 'Love You Live' belongs to his daughter Jade? Me neither)

New York is up next in November. Dont miss it. I read a post from Stones fan Foxy in New Zealand who says its coming to Sydney in November 2018.  There'll be a few others before that I'm sure.

Oh, and the prices of some of the souvenirs in the shop are eye watering. £225 for a fucking umbrella? 

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:27pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #67 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:00pm

... ... ...
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #68 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:39pm
...  Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #69 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 6:03am
Keith Richards on Mick Jagger, his mom and Bob Dylan’s Nobel Prize

By Hardeep Phull November 11, 2016

The Beatles had Brian Epstein, but the Rolling Stones’ secret extra member was Keith Richards’ mother, Doris.

That’s how the guitarist recalls the dynamic of the band’s earliest days. Before their first single had even been released, Richards lived with second guitarist Brian Jones and singer Mick Jagger in a West London apartment in 1962 and 1963.

“It was a hovel,” the 72-year-old rocker tells The Post, growling into the telephone from his home in Connecticut.

“My mum saved us — she washed our clothes for us and sent them back. Brian had a hanger-on who would do anything. We were very rude to him, but he’d do all the gofering for us. So we’d bundle up the washing in brown paper, give him the money for the stamps, and he’d take it to the post office and pick it up five days later. That was my mum’s contribution to the band. She was like the sixth Stone back then!”

A reconstruction of that apartment is one of the main attractions at “Exhibitionism: The Rolling Stones,” which opens Saturday at Industria Superstudio in the West Village. The re-creation is as grim as Richards would have you believe; it features half-eaten food, discarded cigarettes, and there’s even mold growing on the walls.

The show collects hundreds of items from the band’s history, including instruments, posters, clothes worn by the guys, and much more. The exhibit (which opened in London last year) marks the first time the group has opened up its private archives for fans to see.

For Richards, it brings back memories, particularly of the band’s Spartan infancy, which is a world away from the huge brand the Rolling Stones would become over the ensuing five decades. You can’t blame Richards for getting a little misty-eyed.

“Me, Mick and Brian would sit in front of a phonograph in that flat, and listen to Chicago blues and country blues for hours, trying to figure out what these guys were playing and how we’d ever get anywhere close to it. We were dedicated, idealistic — and stupid!”

Other noteworthy pieces on display include Jagger’s lyric book (which features the words to hits including “Miss You” and “Worried About You”), the toy drum kit used by Charlie Watts in the recording of “Street Fighting Man” and several of Richards’ guitars. One features colorful, psychedelic patterns, painted on it by Richards himself after taking LSD in 1967.

But, as Richards recalls, he wasn’t quite as gung-ho as his bandmates and contemporaries when it came to seeking out the spiritual awakenings that the late ’60s offered up.

“Brian and Mick were quite carried away with the Beatles and the Maharishi [Mahesh Yogi] and the blah, blah,” he says dismissively. “I stayed on the periphery, and Charlie didn’t give a s - - t about it. It was all love, love, love, wearing garish Indian cotton and growing beards and s - - t.”

Although Jagger briefly became a student of the Maharishi in 1967, he didn’t join the Beatles on their famous visit to India in 1968, where they practiced an intensive course of Transcendental Meditation.

“I thought the Maharishi was a piece of s - - t. I despised the man. I felt sorry for John [Lennon] and Paul [McCartney], who is still a good mate. It was the flavor of the month. He did ruin The Beatles. I wasn’t interested. I was busy writing ‘Gimme Shelter’!”

Although the nostalgia factor is sky-high at the exhibit, the Rolling Stones have been gearing up for a new chapter in their career. Last month, they played a well-received set at the Desert Trip festival in Indio, Calif. — affectionately known as “Oldchella” for its boomer-centric lineup. Performing just before them was a hotly tipped up-and-comer by the name of Bob Dylan.

“I thought it was very far-reaching for the Nobel people to give Bob the prize for literature,” says Richards. “I think it’s the first time us songwriters have been begrudgingly let into the literary world. But that’s good, especially because all those bastards like Shakespeare ever did was to steal songs and ballads from minstrels [medieval folk singers in England]!”

The group is also preparing to release its first studio album since 2005. “Blue & Lonesome,” out Dec. 2, is a collection of blues songs written and originally recorded by the likes of Howlin’ Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon and others.

Fifty-four years after the studious listening sessions Richards, Jagger and Jones would have in their London flat, the Rolling Stones are now paying direct homage to the artists who inspired them. And the scrappy, rough feel of the recordings suggests they had a blast doing it.

“In three days, the Stones cut 12 tracks,” says Richards. “That’s a record in itself. Eric Clapton was in the next studio, so we collared him to play on it, too. Eric was part of the Stones before he could even play. When we were playing the clubs, he was one of our top fans.”

In recent years, Richards has spoken about Jagger in unflattering terms. In one 2011 interview with the Observer of London, Richards compared Jagger to Maria Callas and referred to him as a “diva” whom the rest of the band [Watts and guitarist Ron Wood] have to be careful not to annoy.

But working in close quarters on “Blue & Lonesome” appears to have brought some more endearing and admirable Jagger traits to the surface.

“On this album, you can hear how much he’s a part of the band and what a musician he is,” says Richards. “Because he’s such a showman, a lot of his actual talent gets hidden. But on this record, he can feel very proud of himself. I’ve always loved the man. It’s just that I have to kick his ass now and again!”

“Exhibitionism: The Rolling Stones” opens Saturday and runs through March 12. Admission is $37 for adults. Industria Superstudio, 775 Washington St.; StonesExhibitionism.com.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/11/keith-richards-on-mick-jagger-his-mom-and-bob-dylan...

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #70 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:46am
Thanks Edith but why here?

Don't suck my cock

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #71 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 9:14am
Tom wrote on Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:46am:
Thanks Edith but why here?

Don't suck my cock

The article centers around Exhibitionism with the HTW thing as a side note.

Didn't think it worthy of a new thread.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #72 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 3:22pm
SV posted on Shidoobee that the Stones are gonna be there on Nov. 14th!  Waz up wit dat?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #73 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 6:47am
Bitch wrote on Nov 11th, 2016 at 3:22pm:
SV posted on Shidoobee that the Stones are gonna be there on Nov. 14th!  Waz up wit dat?

Probably just for publicity. Doubt they'll play.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #74 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Amazed no one posted this.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)