Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Rolling Stones @ Exhibitionism's Private View and visitors reviews (Read 41,860 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: The Rolling Stones @ Exhibitionism's Private View
Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:27am:
Can't wait for this to come to the States.

I hope they bring the whole thing across the pond, and not some scaled-down version.

I would doubt they'd bring the whole thing over. But Gazza did mention on FB that their are plans to bring the exhibit to the states later this year. As well as possible live show.................oh and happy 9000th post EG. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Let's go get drunk You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:35am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:21am:
.................oh and happy 9000th post EG. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Let's go get drunk You rock!

I almost have no life.
You and Joey are my heroes.  Nanker

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:39am

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:18am
I'm picking up what they are putting down.

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:53am

IP Logged

captainglassback
Rocks Off Regular

Re: The Rolling Stones announce London exhibition! EXHIBITIONISM
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:23am
Here's my feedback from 5th April 11.30 timed ticket.  Helluva queue so don't panic if you are running late! Too many folk in there at any one time so took over 2 hours to get round. Those guitars are stunning and the background info very interesting.  Amazing old documents!  Great value.  Really enjoyed it and will go again.  Won't be taking my 6 yr old Grandson though.  The enjoyment is in the guitars, documents and clothes.  I'll sit with him in the cinema room watching videos instead.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Re: The Rolling Stones @ Exhibitionism's Private View and visitors reviews
Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 12:42pm
We had quite a little frenzy on twitter last night during this. Fun, but I still wish I could've been there, even if it had meant waiting in line wearing high-heeled boots that long.

Btw, I still hate Facebook. I clicked that link above and immediately one-quarter of the screen was covered by a notification demanding that I log in or sign up. I ignored it and in about a minute it jumped up to cover over half the screen. I see this crap on a lot of sites, windows that jump up in your face demanding that you sign up to their site (and therefore give them an email address to spam or sell to spammers). So I'm not  clicking an FB link again.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:13pm
captainglassback wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:23am:
Here's my feedback from 5th April 11.30 timed ticket.  Helluva queue so don't panic if you are running late! Too many folk in there at any one time so took over 2 hours to get round. Those guitars are stunning and the background info very interesting.  Amazing old documents!  Great value.  Really enjoyed it and will go again.  Won't be taking my 6 yr old Grandson though.  The enjoyment is in the guitars, documents and clothes.  I'll sit with him in the cinema room watching videos instead.

Great!, thanks Captain, can't wait for the exhibition tour of the Americas

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #33 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:10pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:13pm:
captainglassback wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:23am:

Great!, thanks Captain, can't wait for the exhibition tour of the Americas

i will listen to the LA Forum discs till then

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #34 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:35am:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:21am:
.................oh and happy 9000th post EG. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Let's go get drunk You rock!

I almost have no life.
You and Joey are my heroes.  Nanker

Spooky post Oh no! not you again War horses couldn't drag me away

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #35 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 10:51am
So did anybody notice which Stone wasn't at Exhibitionism?  Wow!
http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/658838/Rolling-Stones-forgotten-Mick-Tay...

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:27am
The loyal but dead Ian Stewart?

Also a shame (a facially-shaved) Harvey Mandel didn't make it.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #37 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Fantastic pictures of the exhibition by our friend Jordi Güell

"un gran coleccionista y amigo stone!!, a quien le agradecemos las fotos.
Salu Jordi!!"

Thanks to Marcelo for hosting the pictures and posting them at our message board in Spanish"

LOVE THE EDITH GROVE RECREATION!!!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #38 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 2:40pm
Damn! This looks just like my place !!
  Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) Interesting stuff Ronnie! Stinky post

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #39 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 3:06pm
LOL, now I don't have doubts about you naming yourself "Edith Grove", that's the recreation of the Edith Grove flat and yours!

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #40 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Thanks for posting the pics. That was great for those of us who can't go to see it in person.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #41 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 7:30pm
So no one wants to talk about Mick Taylor getting screwed out of this? Damn, do I have to go to Shidoobee to actually talk about the Stones?  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Interesting stuff Ronnie! Ouch! The real Rolling Stones tongue taylor made smile

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #42 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:50pm
LOL

Mick Taylor was invited, don't know the reason why he didn't get the invitation and BTW micktaylor.com and the associated FB page was not registered by Mick, I don't know if later he got it but when created it was registered by "V. Taylor" (they did it that way to pretend being someone related with Mick Taylor, i.e. Valerie)

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #43 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 10:15pm
Did someone mention Mick Taylor???

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/658838/Rolling-Stones-forgotten-Mick-Tay...

The forgotten Stone: Mick Taylor still at odds with the world’s best known rock band
BITTER row that split the Rolling Stones 42 years ago has erupted again with an angry outburst on Facebook from the man they call the Forgotten Stone: guitarist Mick Taylor.

Mick Taylor is still at odds with The Rolling Stones after 42 years

And all because he wasn’t invited to the opening of the Rolling Stones memorabilia exhibition at the swish Saatchi Gallery in London. Outside the gallery Sir Mick Jagger posed for pictures with Keith Richards, Ronnie Woods and Charlie Watts. Even former bass player Bill Wyman was there. But one person missing from the 500-strong guest list was Taylor, who posted on his social media page: “It appears they are using my name and likeness for another multimillion dollar making exercise.

"I can’t help wondering why nobody has invited me… they could not find it in their hearts to include Mick Taylor.” Taylor, 67, moaned that two tickets were left on the door only after a fan complained to the gallery. “My office received a reply at the eleventh hour that they would let me have two tickets, which needed to be collected before 3pm. They know I live overseas so this does not qualify as an invitation. They waited until it became a logistical impossibility to attend.”

In a stinging sign-off he wrote: “I’m part of the Stones’ history and legacy, which is what this retrospective exhibition is about, isn’t it? The band’s best work – in the studio and on stage – was done while I was involved.” So who is the Forgotten Stone and what has he been doing in the 42 years since he quit?

Taylor came from a working-class family in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, and learned to play the guitar in school bands. In 1965 he went to a John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers concert but star guitarist Eric “Slowhand” Clapton didn’t show. Taylor plucked up the courage in the interval to ask Mayall if he could play the second half. Mayall was so impressed that they swapped phone numbers.

A year later, with Clapton gone and a second guitarist about to leave, Mayall hired Taylor and the music world was agog at how a shy 17-year-old could replace Clapton. Meantime the Stones were recording a string of hits, vying with The Beatles for the No 1 one slot week after week. Then in 1969 Brian Jones was kicked out over his drug addiction and Mayall unselfishly recommended Taylor. Taylor believed he was being called in as a studio session musician but Jagger and Richards were so impressed they invited him back the next day to continue recording, including the mega-hit Honky Tonk Woman.

Taylor’s stage debut as a Stone, at 20, was a free concert in Hyde Park in July 1969. More than 250,000 people watched a show that turned into a tribute to Jones, who had died three days earlier. As Jagger and Richards hogged the spotlight Taylor was the curlyhaired lad at the back modestly getting on with his job. He was one of the most brilliant guitarists of the age, head and shoulders above Richards, and later said of the gig: “I just couldn’t believe how bad they sounded. Their timing was awful.

"They sounded like a typical bunch of guys in a garage. Playing out of tune and too loudly. I thought, ‘How is it possible that this band can make hit records?’” Taylor held his tongue and stayed with the Stones until 1974. It wasn’t easy – age was a problem, for example. Taylor was five years younger than Jagger and Richards, eight years younger than Charlie Watts and 12 years younger than Bill Wyman. And the music wasn’t challenging enough. He remembers being bored on stage and once said that 72 minutes of a Stones’ concert seemed to go on for hours.

“For me it was personally restricting. I’m not saying that it wasn’t fun being in the Stones. It was a helluva lot of fun, it was great. But I had to move on.” In his five years as a Stone, Taylor featured on albums such as Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St and Jagger and Taylor formed a close musical relationship. In November 1973 things turned sour. Richards confronted him and said, “Oi! Taylor! You’re playing too f****** loud. I mean, you’re really good live, man, but you’re f****** useless in the studio.”

Richards erased some of the tapes on which Taylor had recorded guitar parts. Just before It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll came out in 1974 Taylor told a journalist he had cowritten two of the tracks with Jagger but wasn’t being given a credit on the record sleeve. It bugged him – and still does to this day – and so at a party for the band he told Jagger he was quitting. “Let’s put it this way, without my contribution those songs would not have existed,” he says.

“We used to fight and argue all the time. I just felt like I’d had enough. I never felt I was gonna stay with the Stones for ever.” Taylor left to form a band with Jack Bruce, of Cream, and appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test but the band disbanded after a year. What followed was a whirlwind. Taylor recorded a solo album which got to No 119 in the charts, toured Europe first with Ten Years After then with John Mayall.

He teamed up with Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits, to play on a live Bob Dylan album, then guested with the Grateful Dead at Madison Square Garden. Taylor lived in New York, Los Angeles and Miami as he battled addiction demons and toured as a session man with different bands. On the way he got married, divorced and fathered two daughters. In the mid- 1990s he returned to the UK and joined John Mayall for his 70th birthday concert with Eric Clapton.

Lots of session work followed, then in 2007 he toured America with the Experience Hendrix tribute band. Amazingly, despite all the bitterness, Taylor has maintained a musical relationship with the Stones, appearing in their 2012 Reunion, 50 & Counting... and 14 On Fire world tours. He’s also done recording sessions with them and after one astonishing solo Richards is said to have joked: “That’s why I never liked you, you b******!” With their last three tours grossing over £700million, Jagger is now worth an estimated £200million and Richards only a little less.

Taylor lives modestly: his last address in England was a semi in Suffolk and now he’s abroad but no one’s sure where. Taylor may be in the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame but he’s the Rolling Stone who gathered no dosh.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #44 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 10:57am

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #45 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 8:39pm
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 7th, 2016 at 2:40pm:
Damn! This looks just like my place !!

Yeah.. not so much now but I have lived in a couple of places like that - though I still struggle with dishes in the sink.

I must say they seemed to have owned a lot of plates!
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:44am by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #46 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Jumping Jack Cash
A Rolling Stone gathers dosh
Another lucrative show from the World’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band

http://www.economist.com/node/21696668?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/arollingstonegathers...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #47 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:31pm
I see they have a display at Exhibitionism which states that they've played 1,679 concerts

Even though as long ago as August 2006 I calculated that (allowing for a tiny margin of error) they'd played exactly 2,000 concerts (excluding TV and radio appearances) - and they acknowledged this (and credited this site) at the time on their official website and even interviewed the band about it.

Good to see that they're keeping up the trend used in their compilations and archive releases in recent years of using researchers who dont seem to be able to do a simple google search.

1,679 concerts! They would have reached that figure around 1998. I reckon they've overlooked the fact that in the 60's they regularly played two shows on the same day.

They've undercalculated by about 33%. I havent checked the up to date figure but as of 2016 it's probably around 2,150. 

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #48 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:31pm:
I see they have a display at Exhibitionism which states that they've played 1,679 concerts

Even though as long ago as August 2006 I calculated that (allowing for a tiny margin of error) they'd played exactly 2,000 concerts (excluding TV and radio appearances) - and they acknowledged this (and credited this site) at the time on their official website and even interviewed the band about it.

Good to see that they're keeping up the trend used in their compilations and archive releases in recent years of using researchers who dont seem to be able to do a simple google search.

1,679 concerts! They would have reached that figure around 1998. I reckon they've overlooked the fact that in the 60's they regularly played two shows on the same day.

They've undercalculated by about 33%. I havent checked the up to date figure but as of 2016 it's probably around 2,150. 

Gazzapedia strikes again! I always said you should be the Stones historian, they cant keep track of their own shit as good as you do!

Also, MICK TAYLOR GOT FVCKED ON THIS!

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #49 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:36am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)