Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
stones fired trump in 89 (Read 35,221 times)
gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: stones fired trump in 89
Reply #50 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 2:41am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
How to apply bronzer properly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDvpv4cj_SA

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #51 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 11:10am
Let's bet to see if Trump can fuck up America.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #52 - May 4th, 2016 at 5:37pm
And again in 2016.....

https://www.yahoo.com/music/rolling-stones-ask-trump-stop-playing-songs-18154514...

The Rolling Stones have asked presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to stop playing their songs at his campaign events.

In a statement Wednesday, the rock band said they have not given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs and "have requested that they cease all use immediately."

A Trump campaign spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment or say whether they had a license to play their songs.

Trump, an avid music fan, has featured Rolling Stones songs at his rallies for months as part of a diverse soundtrack that includes Elton John, opera and classic rock songs. The Rolling Stones' 1969 classic "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was a popular song for his events, and during an event on Tuesday night, the campaign played "Start Me Up."

Adele and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler both asked the candidate to stop using their recorded songs to fire up crowds. Neil Young also objected when the real estate mogul used "Rockin' in the Free World" during his campaign kickoff announcement last year. In those cases, the Trump campaign stopped using the songs.

Political campaigns don't need artists' permission to play their songs at rallies as long as the political organization or the venue has gotten what's known as a blanket license from the performing rights organizations ASCAP and BMI for all the music in the licensing group's repertoire.

But artists do have some recourse. BMI, for example, has said it has a provision in its license agreement that allows BMI songwriters or publishers to object to the use of their songs and they have the ability to exclude those songs from the blanket license.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #53 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:57pm
The next song you'll hear at a Trump rally will be "Stupid Girl."

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #54 - May 5th, 2016 at 9:02am
Edith Grove wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 7:57pm:

Edith Grove wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 7:57pm:

Not Doom And Gloom?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #55 - May 5th, 2016 at 9:53am
This is surprising news, because I heard the Stones are HUGE Donald Trump fans.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #56 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:44am
It appears to be business as usual--their lawyers will contact his lawyers--financial arrangements will be made--and on with the Trump show.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #57 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:00pm
Eh.......if The Donald is not making income by playing someone's songs, is he really obligated to cease & desist ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #58 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:29pm

Good point, EG.

John Boehner as Trump's VP.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:42pm
It's the goddam aceloytes of Saul Alinsky!  The Birkenstocks funded Obama's assault on the foundations of the bedrock Constitution!  I noticed that once again, none of the liberals in this thread have denounced terrorism.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #60 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:28pm
I denounce terrorism !

...oh, but then again, I'm no liberal

Oh no! not you again

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #61 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:53pm
sirmoonie wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:42pm:
I noticed that once again, none of the liberals in this thread have denounced terrorism.

.......but how can you denounce something you cannot accurately identify?  Ouch!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #62 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:55pm
Factory Girl wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:29pm:
Good point, EG.

I don't think Trump will go for a crybaby. I like Kasich.

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #63 - May 5th, 2016 at 3:31pm
He's not going to stop playing their tunes and they are not going to do anything about it.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #64 - May 5th, 2016 at 3:35pm
He ought to use Dirty Work.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #65 - May 5th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Some Guy wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 3:35pm:

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #66 - May 5th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 3:47pm:
Some Guy wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 3:35pm:

Hard and fast sniff. hard and fast.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #67 - May 5th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:00pm:
Eh.......if The Donald is not making income by playing someone's songs, is he really obligated to cease & desist ?

Actually, yes. Copyright infringement, even without monetary gain, is still illegal. I remember this all too well from the FBI warning at the start of every DVD and Bluray. (And what I'm thinking when every time I see this warning is that I wouldn't have to sit through this yet again if I had pirated it.) Public performance or playing without the copyright holders' permission is copyright infringement. Not that long ago, restaurants were getting jumped on by the RIAA for playing the radio! It seems the RIAA was claiming that the licensing scheme for radio stations didn't cover it being broadcasted in a public location for others to enjoy.

Yeah, copyright laws are a frigging mess. But this could work to the Stones' advantage in dealing with Trump.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #68 - May 6th, 2016 at 4:16am
Winning Ugly.  Winning is winning.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #69 - May 6th, 2016 at 5:45am
Factory Girl wrote on May 6th, 2016 at 4:16am:
Winning Ugly.  Winning is winning.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #70 - May 6th, 2016 at 8:01am
sirmoonie wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:42pm:
  I noticed that once again, none of the liberals in this thread have denounced terrorism.

I denounce the Stones ticket prices. Is that good enough?............Pretty much the same thing. Interesting stuff Ronnie!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #71 - May 6th, 2016 at 12:43pm
The trick is to pre-denounce stuff before you even know what you are denouncing.  In that way, you can do the "I told you so" bit, and evaporate any cognitive dissonance vestiges you may have had (and that you were unlikely to comprehend in the first instance).

Magooie?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #72 - May 6th, 2016 at 2:56pm
No, not Charlie Sheen...he is a sick dude...on many levels.

IP Logged

a.completeunknown
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #73 - May 6th, 2016 at 4:32pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 1:55pm:
Factory Girl wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:29pm:
Good point, EG.

I don't think Trump will go for a crybaby. I like Kasich.

Jim Webb. Ben Carson has already said Trump's running mate could possibly be a Democrat, which JW is (technically anyway).

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #74 - May 6th, 2016 at 5:03pm
The Rolling Stones demand Trump stop using its music at rallies, but can the band actually stop him?

WASHINGTON POST,By Travis M. Andrews May 5, 2016

As Donald Trump took to the stage at Trump Tower on Tuesday to deliver his victory speech, a familiar tune filled the room: "Start Me Up," that rough, thumping anthem by the Rolling Stones.

(Perhaps Trump hadn't listened to the final two lines of the song beforehand, which Salon reported had to be cut for their raunchiness during the band's Super Bowl appearance in 2006).

The song has a history of advertorial usage - it was the first Stones song used in a TV commercial when Microsoft co-opted it to sell its Windows 95 operating system, Business Insider reported - but the band might be more fond of Bill Gates than of Trump.

On Wednesday, it released a statement that read, "The Rolling Stones have never given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs and have requested that they cease all use immediately," Entertainment Weekly reported.

It's far from the first time this sort of thing has happened. Numerous examples have appeared in this election season alone. Trump's candidacy kicked off with Canadian rocker Neil Young blasting the businessman-turned-politician for using "Rockin' in the Free World" during his candidacy announcement. Adele and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler have both demanded Trump stop using their music, the Associated Press reported.

And a glance at history reveals many more examples. Perhaps the most notable one is Bruce Springsteen versus President Ronald Reagan. During his successful run for reelection in 1984, Reagan announced to a crowd in New Jersey, "America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside our hearts. It rests in the message of hope in the songs of a man so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen," CNN reported.

He was referencing "Born in the U.S.A.," which he had requested to use in his campaign, only to be denied by Springsteen. He was so angry, the previously apolitical rock star began speaking out against Reagan.

"I think people have a need to feel good about the country they live in. But what's happening, I think, is that that need … is getting manipulated and exploited," Springsteen told Rolling Stone, regarding the candidate's request.

Do bands have any true recourse to stop politicians, aside from making public statements and hoping to shame them into pulling the songs from their campaigns? As it turns out, the answer to that question is both yes and no.

First, it depends on how the songs are used. Most of the complaints listed above are for politicians using their songs at campaign rallies, which the Associated Press reports is legally OK so long as either the political organization or the venue acquires a "blanket license" for an artist's entire catalogue from ASCAP and BMI - both of these are nonprofit performing rights organizations that license music and distribute royalties. A blanket license is how your favorite restaurant or bar plays its tunes, according to the New York Times.

That said, BMI allows artists to opt songs out of the blanket license, which would disallow such use.

But if the song in question is going to be used in a commercial, it's important to acquire permission, because royalties for that specific usage will have to be paid to whoever owns the recording, NPR reported.

Then, there's what the song's usage might denote. Musicians can (and have) sued politicians for false advertising claiming that the song makes it seem as if the musician has endorsed a particular candidate, the New York Times reported. The "right of publicity" also potentially allows an artist to protect his or her image in the public realm.

"It's untested in the political realm," Iser told Rolling Stone.

"Even if Donald Trump has the ASCAP right to use a Neil Young song, does Neil have the right to nevertheless go after him on right of publicity? I say he does."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/nation-world/nation/article/The-Rolling-Sto...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)