Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paul Kantner- Jefferson Airplane Dead @ 74 (Read 4,138 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Paul Kantner- Jefferson Airplane Dead @ 74
Jan 28th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I had the pleasure of meeting him not once, but twice. A nice fellow. RIP Paul

(They are dropping like flies)...

##

Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday of multiple organ failure. Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week.

His death was confirmed by longtime publicist and friend, Cynthia Bowman, who said he died of multiple organ failure and septic shock.

Mr. Kantner suffered from a string of health problems in recent years, including a heart attack in March 2015.
ADVERTISING

With Jefferson Airplane, Mr. Kantner pioneered what became known as the San Francisco sound in the mid-1960s, with such hits as “Somebody to Love” and “White Rabbit.”

The Airplane was renowned for thrilling vocal gymnastics by singers Marty Balin, Grace Slick and Mr. Kantner, the psychedelic blues-rock sound developed by guitarist Jorma Kaukonen and bass player Jack Casady and the LSD-spiked, ‘60s-era revolutionary fervor of its lyrics.

The band was formed in a Union Street bar called the Drinking Gourd, when Balin met Mr. Kantner and expressed his interest in forming a “folk-rock” band. It didn’t take long for the Airplane to attract a sizable local following, enough so that when fledgling promoter Bill Graham opened his legendary Fillmore Auditorium, the Jefferson Airplane served as the first headliner.

The Airplane was the first of the so-called “San Francisco sound” bands to sign a recording contract with a major label, and in August of 1966, its debut album, “The Jefferson Airplane Takes Off,” was released. Slick joined the band a year later and songs like “Somebody to Love” and “White Rabbit” became national hits as the love children came streaming into San Francisco.

The group quickly became an integral part of the ’60s rock scene, from the Matrix club to Golden Gate Park’s “Human Be-In” to Monterey Pop. The Airplane’s high point may have been its sterling early-morning performance at Woodstock, while its nadir may have come only months later, at the violence-plagued Altamont concert, when Balin was knocked unconscious by the rampaging Hells Angels.

After the band was grounded by feuds and a lawsuit, Mr. Kantner and Slick transformed the band into Jefferson Starship in 1974, taking the name from a Kantner solo album.

When Mr. Kantner left the Starship in 1985, he accepted an $80,000 settlement in exchange for a promise not to use the names “Jefferson” or “Airplane” without Slick’s consent.

Slick stayed with the Starship and had a hit with “We Built This City” before the band folded in the late 1980s.

A sometimes prickly, often sarcastic musician who kept his own counsel and routinely enraged his old bandmates — they sued him for trademark infringement (and settled) after he started his own version of Jefferson Starship in 1991 — Mr. Kantner lived to become something of a landmark on the San Francisco music scene, the only member of the band still living in town.

“Somebody once said, if you want to go crazy go to San Francisco,” he said. “Nobody will notice.”

Mr. Kantner was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 for his work with the Jefferson Airplane during the band’s glory years — from the breakthrough 1967 “Surrealistic Pillow” album through Woodstock and Altamont.

“We never made plans,” said Mr. Kantner. “Well, we made plans, but they went awry. It was good to have a plan in case they didn’t go awry.”

He maintained a strenuous touring schedule, performing regularly with some version of the Jefferson Starship name. His group sometimes included Balin, as well as David Freiberg of the Quicksilver Messenger Service, another leading Bay Area band from the ’60s.

“When I look back on it, that’s probably longer than any of the other bands I’ve been in,” Mr. Kantner said.

Paul Lorin Kantner was born in San Francisco on March 17, 1941.

His father, a traveling salesman, sent Mr. Kantner to military school after his mother’s death. He sought escape in science fiction books and music, before being inspired by Pete Seeger to follow a path as a folk singer. He attended Santa Clara University and San Jose State College before dropping out to pursue music.

When not on the road with his band, Mr. Kantner was a fixture at Caffe Trieste in North Beach.

“I’ve always loved San Francisco better than anywhere,” he said. “It’s always had its problems, but just the weather alone, the views. This corner alone has proved so nourishing.”

Mr. Kantner is survived by three children; sons Gareth and Alexander, and daughter China.

Funeral arrangements are pending.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2016 at 7:23pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Paul Kantner- Jefferson Airplane Dead @ 74
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 7:34pm
RIP Paul

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:16pm
I'm shocked, as many of you know I was a big JA fan since the 60s WTF

In less than a month:

1.      Dale Griffin (Mott the Hoople)
2.      Dallas Taylor (Clear light – CSN&Y)
3.      David Bowie
4.      Gary Loizzo (The American Breed)
5.      Giorgio Gomelsky
6.      Glenn Frey (Eagles)
7.      Lalo Tex (text ex)
8.      Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead)
9.      Natalie Cole
10.      Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship)
11.      Robert Stigwood (Cream, Who, Hair, Jesus Christ Super star, etc)
12.      Stephen Levine (beat/beatnik budista, The San Francisco Oracle)

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:47pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:18pm
Now you can finish that joint with Jerry!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Actually, Dallas Taylor died last year at this time. For some reason a media outlet looked at his date of death and thought he died this year and reported it, and other outlets ran with it. Thus, it is a kind of death hoax for a guy that was already dead.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Starbuck wrote on Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:25pm:
Actually, Dallas Taylor died last year at this time. For some reason a media outlet looked at his date of death and thought he died this year and reported it, and other outlets ran with it. Thus, it is a kind of death hoax for a guy that was already dead.

Y'know, I thought I was having deja vu when I heard that...

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 8:59pm
I met him once with my buddy Rev, who worked at Cafe Trieste and was considered "The King" of North Beach. It was at Grant and Green. He was very nice and kind of shy, but I kinda didn't like, make a big deal out of it. Like, Rev said "This is Paul." and I thought "This is Paul fucking Katner" but I dint say nothin' and Rev confirmed later. We just talked about the new club opening down the street and live venues in SF changing, briefly. Afterwards, his identity was confirmed.

I'm kind of getting sick of this.

RIP Paul.

(BTW: Wouldn't Jess Airplane's nadir be that time Slick was shitfaced onstage in Germany and started yelling at them about Nazis and WWII? I KNOW it had to be here where that video started making the rounds, now I can't find it!)

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:12pm
"  ................ Wouldn't Jess Airplane's nadir be that time Slick was shitfaced onstage in Germany and started yelling at them about Nazis and WWII? I KNOW it had to be here where that video started making the rounds, now I can't find it!) "

RIP Paul  !!!!!

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2016 at 8:22am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:18pm

Because it's really fucking funny when people die right?
Glenn Frey was the chlamydia of music. So that means Paul was the syphiliis right? Funny shit man. Keep the yucks coming Buckaroo. You da man! People dying. Funny shit always! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Shut the fuck up now Nanker

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:33pm
I never met Paul, but met Jorma and Jack. Some years ago Jorma sent me a very special gift... really...  his exclusive (not for sale) “Rhythm Tonic Tea”, I treasure that one that I only took some, and also a mix with local weed LOL

For those who don’t give a fuck, sorry about the SSC header but Paul deserves it

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:35pm
I will serve that tea to my guests in March!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:48pm
Actually, Dallas Taylor died last year at this time. For some reason a media outlet looked at his date of death and thought he died this year and reported it, and other outlets ran with it.

Oh no! not you again Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 5:22am
RIP Paul Kantner.   

Robert Stigwood also managed the Bee Gees and produced Saturday Night Fever and Grease. 

I love the Bee Gees...wonderful melodies and fantastic  STF soundtrack.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2016 at 7:15am by Factory Girl »  

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Irina
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 5:49am
RIP Paul Kantner...

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 6:10am
Wow, another one gone.

RIP Paul

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 10:47am
another legend passed. fifty year career
what a run of lps from JA takes off in 66 to JS Spitfire in 76. was lucky enough to have caught the re-formed JA in 1989 it was a memorable night.

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Thank God he didn't Build This Effing City.  Blecch.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 5:07pm
mojoman wrote on Jan 29th, 2016 at 10:47am:
was lucky enough to have caught the re-formed JA in 1989 it was a memorable night

Did Nicky Play with them on that tour?

That was a fantastic album just named "Jefferson Airplane" with the full essence and spirit of the early JA, I think that is the only GREAT album by a reformed group of the 60s

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 8:32pm

Wow, I loved the Jefferson Airplane, saw them many times, Jefferson Starship too, then it just became Starship and I saw them too. He had quite a run. RIP Paul.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 9:15pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 29th, 2016 at 5:07pm:
was lucky enough to have caught the re-formed JA in 1989 it was a memorable night

Did Nicky Play with them on that tour?

That was a fantastic album just named "Jefferson Airplane" with the full essence and spirit of the early JA, I think that is the only GREAT album by a reformed group of the 60s

no nicky!!

1989 Reunion Tour: Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, Marty Balin, Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, Peter Kaukonen, Tim Gorman, Kenny Aronoff (Spencer Dryden was not invited to join)

September 6, 1989* (Wednesday) - Great Woods, Mansfield MA

1: She Has Funny Cars, Somebody To Love, Plastic Fantastic Lover, Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon, Today, Good Shepherd, Lather, Solidarity, Wooden Ships, America, Freedom

Hot Tuna: I Know You Rider, San Francisco Bay Blues, Been So Long, Embryonic Journey, Third Week In The Chelsea

2: Panda, Miracles, The Wheel, Ice Age, Summer of Love, True Love, Planes, White Rabbit, Volunteers

E: Come Back Baby, Crown of Creation

("It's No Secret" was planned for the first encore but cut due to time restrictions)

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 10:31am
another legend passed. fifty year career
what a run of lps from JA takes off in 66 to JS Spitfire in 76. was lucky enough to have caught the re-formed JA in 1989 it was a memorable night.

You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 12:08pm
This was the header in his honor

RIP Paul Kantner (1941-2016) - Opening for the Rolling Stones, Altamont, Livermore, CA - December 6, 1969 © Robert Altman

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 2:18pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 30th, 2016 at 12:08pm:
This was the header in his honor

RIP Paul Kantner (1941-2016) - Opening for the Rolling Stones, Altamont, Livermore, CA - December 6, 1969 © Robert Altman

Very cool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)