Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Glenn Frey Dead at 67 (Read 11,974 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Glenn Frey Dead at 67
Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 8:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

"  I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!   "

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2016 at 9:53pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 10:23pm
Glen Frey produced this record, according to the interweb.

Thanks for all the music, Glen!

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 9:55am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity
Unholy Trinity Admin

ROCKS OFF RULES

Belfast/Santander/Mexico City
Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:15am
test

The Administrators' account
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #29 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Unholy Trinity wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:15am:
test

Did we pass?

Speaking of passing, here is the best quote from the article that mojo just posted above. Very much worth the read. In describing the Eagles, it reads just like a Moonie post:

"Soporific Laurel Canyon coke rock whose chief existential lament seems to be ‘What toppings should I get on my burrito?'” the alt-weekly wrote. “The Eagles are the quintessential band for a decade whose favorite barbiturate was the Quaalude.”

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #30 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 5:12pm
Okay, first of all, apologies to anyone who experienced that weird hijacking Hulu was doing when I linked to the Miami Vice episode of "Smuggler's Blues." Which everyone should watch cause it's frickin' hilarious.

But you know what? This:

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #31 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 5:18pm
Rest In Peace Glenn Frey

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #32 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 9:02pm
The haters are gonna hate but Glenn Frye was a musical force whether you like it or not. His songs and style were uniquely beautiful and he was a great entertainer. RIP YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #33 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 10:02pm

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #34 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 8:18pm
I love when people eulogize me but do not know how to spell my name!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 8:34pm
Starbuck wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:41pm:
Unholy Trinity wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 11:15am:
test

Did we pass?

Speaking of passing, here is the best quote from the article that mojo just posted above. Very much worth the read. In describing the Eagles, it reads just like a Moonie post:

"Soporific Laurel Canyon coke rock whose chief existential lament seems to be ‘What toppings should I get on my burrito?'” the alt-weekly wrote. “The Eagles are the quintessential band for a decade whose favorite barbiturate was the Quaalude.”

LOL. That does read like a Moonie post. I still have yet to try Quaaludes. It frustrates me that it appears you can't even find them like, in Bangkok even!

Back when I first moved to Oakland, I bought my first motorcycle, which was a 1981 Virago, 750. Viragos were like, Harley copies--low-riders, with the V-engine and shit. I was hanging out at this sorta non-Angels biker bar, not too far from the actual Angel's clubhouse, which was down the street from my place, and all those dudes had kept telling me that I should just get a big hog. I kept saying, "What if I drop it?" and they'd go "Well, just don't drop it!"

I dropped that damn Virago three times. It is SO embarrassing to be a young girl all decked out in leather having to wave down a trucker to help get your fucking bike off the ground. Many thousands of miles later, I still maintain that no one's got any business riding a bike they can't pick up. One time it wouldn't start when I was trying to ride home from work so I ended up having to stop in this bar called the Whale's Tail (I think?) and got picked up by this dude who worked only 4 months a year running oil rigs in Alaska and lived on his houseboat in the East Bay the rest of the time. He was a really good lay. He let me drive the houseboat across the bay once!!

ANYWAYS, the point is, we moved from Oakland to SF, and I left my bike in the parking lot of the hippie-pre-Burning-Man warehouse loft place we'd been living in. I was terrified to ride it across the Bay Bridge, and as anyone who rides knows, if you're nervous on a bike, get the fuck off it. So my plan was to, instead, ride it down to San Jose and come back up to SF via the peninsula (this is a very stupid idea, but probably less so than riding, inexperienced, across the Bay Bridge). Anyways, when I got on the thing, the mirrors had been fucked with and I felt like it wasn't riding right, so I rode straight to the bar, 'cause I figured someone would be there who knew about bikes and could help. So, of course, I meet Ron and Shorty (who was about 6'5"--bikers are so clever!), and then spent the rest of the damn day on the back of Ron's Harley, while Shorty rode my bike. They kept it, saying that there was rust in the gas tank or some shit and that they were gonna clean it out, and tune it up, etc. So Shorty was driving it and someone turned left in front of him and he ended up on the road, with the bike on top of his ankle; the leather in his boot melted into his skin and he got gangrene. His license was, of course, suspended, so the bike got impounded. Since I was like, singing in punk bands and working as a canvasser for the goddamn Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic, I had no money to get it out, so we kinda decided we'd let it sit and then wait for it to go up on auction and see if we could get it back that way.

For months afterwards, when I'd finally written off ever getting the thing back, I'd get these drunken phone calls from Ron, rambling about how we were gonna go get my bike back, even if we had to break in the place, etc., etc. They tapered off, eventually.

But Shorty. Shorty had a stash of Quaaludes. And he offered to take one with me, but I didn't take the offer, 'cause I figured I'd spend the whole time peeling him off me, but now I wish I'd been more aggressive and flirty and tricked him into giving or selling me one anyways.

Quaaludes. They musta been something, man.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2016 at 8:38pm by SheRat »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #36 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 10:52am
"  ..............   and all those dudes had kept telling me that I should just get a big hog.   " 

<   ---- Come to Joey !!!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #37 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 3:56pm

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 4:48pm
mojoman wrote on Jan 24th, 2016 at 3:56pm:

Music journalists must have had the day off, so they brought in this guy from the sports page.  The Eagles deserve this kind of strident, misinformed eulogy.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #39 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 8:52pm

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #40 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 9:15pm

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #41 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:59pm
Am I being precocious? Prescient? Omenisms?

I post a pic of Fish from "Barney Miller" and a week later he dies. That is the second time this has happened this year, as the night before Grizzly Adams died, I stumbled across the opening theme to the show on youtube.

I am the harbinger of death? Or is that the other Starbuck?

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #42 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Starbuck wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:59pm:

I post a pic of Fish from "Barney Miller" and a week later he dies. That is the second time this has happened this year, as the night before Grizzly Adams died, I stumbled across the opening theme to the show on youtube.

Hey there Starbucks. I know it's off topic, but everytime I see that quote about a dumbfuck horse I laugh.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #43 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:41am
gypsymofo60 wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:14pm:
Hey there Starbucks. I know it's off topic, but everytime I see that quote about a dumbfuck horse I laugh.

Riffy has a million of him.

I get my daily quota of Rifftastic via Facebook these days, however. He is in rare form. An American institution.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #44 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 4:30pm

So sad. I loved Abe Vigoda! I liked Grizzly Adams too, as a child, surprising no one. I didn't know he died! Jesus. The boomers are, well, not booming.

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #45 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 4:34pm
Bitch wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 9:02pm:
The haters are gonna hate but Glenn Frye was a musical force whether you like it or not. His songs and style were uniquely beautiful and he was a great entertainer. RIP YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED!

OK I'll buy that but, what about Glenn Frey?

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #46 - Jan 28th, 2016 at 4:35pm

I don't know but I've seen you try your damndest to kill several threads around here.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #47 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 9:29am
job wrote on Jan 28th, 2016 at 4:35pm:

I don't know but I've seen you try your damndest to kill several threads around here.

With great success.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:44pm

***** " OMG !!!!! "  *******

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/eagles-band-members-to-honor-glenn-fre...

" Eagles band members to honor Glenn Frey at Grammys  "

"  NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Singer and songwriter Jackson Browne will join members of the Eagles in a tribute to the band’s founding member Glenn Frey during Monday’s 58th annual Grammy Awards.

Frey died Jan. 18 of complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia at the age of 67. Browne will join the Eagles’ Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Bernie Leadon during a special performance during the show at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Browne and Frey wrote together early on in their careers, including the Eagles’ first single in 1972 and one of their signature songs, “Take It Easy.”

The Grammy Awards will be broadcast live from Los Angeles on CBS at 8 p.m. EST.   "

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 5:03pm
Joey?

...!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)