Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
David Bowie dead at 69 (Read 52,619 times)
Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Re: David Bowie dead at 69
Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gutted.

As with Lou Reed and Joe Strummer, it doesn't seem real. A world without Bowie? How can that be...?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:07pm
A true artist to his dying breath - as can be seen from the article and video below. Not since Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt', has anyone made a farewell like that (and in this case, the video was premiered in the last 72 hours of his life)

I still cant really take it in enough yet to be upset, to be honest.

It might be a bit hard to fathom if you're under 40 or grew up in the US, but he's unquestionably the greatest and most iconic artist the UK ever produced (I know some could make a case for Lennon, McCartney, Jagger, Richards to name four - but their legendary status comes from the band they were in where they collaborated with others). Growing up in the 70's he really WAS the North Star.

"Heroes" is (at a push) probably my favourite song ever (the full length version that is!). So much so that when I was in Berlin in 2014 I made a pilgrimage to the apartment where he wrote it and the studio where he recorded it.

His new album is a fabulous epitaph and after enjoying it so much last week, its going to be very hard to delve into again, now that I know the deliberate poignancy of the lyrics.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:52pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:10pm
How David Bowie told us he was dying in the 'Lazarus' video

Bowing out with typical style, David Bowie didn’t just release his last album ‘Blackstar’ to coincide with his 69th birthday last week, on January 8 – he was using it to say goodbye to the world.

An 18-month battle with cancer that hardly anyone knew about came to tragic end yesterday (January 10), but Bowie provided bleak hints about his terminal condition for his fans and followers in what was to be the final music video of his that was to be released in his lifetime.

Released only four days ago, the video for single ‘Lazarus’ was Bowie’s parting shot, opening with a blindfolded, fragile-looking Bowie laying in bed. His first words “look up here, I’m in heaven/I’ve got scars that can’t be seen” are now obviously an admission of his ill health, rather than just a fantastical musing on mortality. It soon becomes obvious that the bed he's in is a hospital one and Bowie begins to float above it, signifying his transmutation to the other side – whatever, or wherever that may be. Watching it now, it’s a statement as bold as it is bleak.

As Bowie writhes around on the bed, trying to break free, another Bowie then appears, a Bowie clad in black and stood upright, a Bowie who can still pose, pout, pick up a pen and create. Inspiration hits him and he scrawls at speed in a notebook, while the other Bowie continues to convulse. As he writes, we see a skull sitting ominously on his writing desk, the spectre of death looming over Bowie and his final creation, before he steps backwards into a wooden wardrobe, a fitting kind of coffin for an icon of style and fashion.

"His death was no different from his life - a work of Art," explained Bowie's producer Tony Visconti, in tribute. "He made 'Blackstar' for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it." Creative to the very end, the 'Lazarus' video is a heartbreakingly sad way to bid farewell, but a more than appropriate one.

www.nme.com

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:24pm
Geez..that video is so haunting I had to stop it. RIP

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Best Bowie ever?

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:47pm
well said Gazza.
"Heroes" always does a bring a tear to my eye when i hear it. Was watching VH-1 on friday night they had his appearance on Storytellers from 1999 on and then they did an hour block of videos from his career one of which was Heroes and the flamboyant DJ along with the new releases. I had actually gone out on friday night to to purchase his new cd i just had to have it on the occasion that it was his birthday, maybe it was ominous or something else drawing me to it that i could not wait for. i had heard a couple of tracks online however i didnt make the connection or maybe i didnt want to  "lazarus" or even "blackstar" to the demise of the Starman. A requiem it was for his fans and the world and to remember that no one truly ever dies.

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:35pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:07pm:
A true artist to his dying breath - as can be seen from the article and video below. Not since Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt', has anyone made a farewell like that (and in this case, the video was premiered in the last 72 hours of his life)

I still cant really take it in enough yet to be upset, to be honest.

It might be a bit hard to fathom if you're under 40 or grew up in the US, but he's unquestionably the greatest and most iconic artist the UK ever produced (I know some could make a case for Lennon, McCartney, Jagger, Richards to name four - but their legendary status comes from the band they were in where they collaborated with others). Growing up in the 70's he really WAS the North Star.

"Heroes" is (at a push) probably my favourite song ever (the full length version that is!). So much so that when I was in Berlin in 2014 I made a pilgrimage to the apartment where he wrote it and the studio where he recorded it.

His new album is a fabulous epitaph and after enjoying it so much last week, its going to be very hard to delve into again, now that I know the deliberate poignancy of the lyrics.

Exactly my thougts. Also from "Heroes" Sons of the silent age is a beautiful, beautiful track, one of my favorites.

RIP Mr. Bowie

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:55pm
And The Stars Look Very Different Today

Well, this one is hard. We saw one of David Bowie’s last live performances at Fashion Rocks at Radio City Music Hall in September 2005. He performed three songs: “Life On Mars” solo, then “Five Years” and “Wake Up” with Arcade Fire. The stunning and regal Iman was sitting across the aisle from us. I came away from the show quite disturbed because it seemed like he couldn’t quite keep his breath. I wondered aloud if perhaps he was suffering from congestive heart failure. He was still a fantastic presence on stage and it was a thrill to even be in the same room with him. I feel pretty lucky to have been the perfect age to appreciate David Bowie from 1969 and forever after. What an amazing, creative talent. The influence he had on the music world can not be overstated. He always seemed a little fragile, and certainly very private. I think he left this earth on his terms. RIP Mr. Jones and thank you for everything.

Fashion Rocks, NYC, 2005

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Ya'll remember this?:

01. Fame - 00:37
02. Changes - 05:55
03. China Girl - 10:51
04. Slow Burn - 18:29
05. Starman - 23:10
06. Let's Dance - 31:00
07. Slip Away - 41:18
08. Ziggy Stardust - 47:38
09. Heroes - 53:36
10. 5:15 The Angels Have Gone - 1:02:58
11. Sound And Vision - 1:10:33
12. Ashes To Ashes - 1:18:11
13. I'm Afraid Of Americans - 1:26:58

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #34 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:54pm
My mum woke me up with the news. When I was six years old, "Labyrinth" came out and I was head over heels in love with him. I remember we got the VHS and I would watch the film at least once a week, for years. It may be the film I've seen most times. And that's absolutely nothing, that's only my first memory of him.

I can't put it into words. An author wrote a great article for him today. I'm gonna try and translate it for you:

"We choose them.

Even when they're from the other side of the world.

Even if they never sat at the family table, with Easter eggs and dinner.

They're blood family.

Even if they don't get gifts in Christmas.

Even if they're not brothers or sisters.

They're the ones who caressed us when our stubborn head felt like exploding.
They're the ones who put us to bed when we came back from the edge of the cliff wasted.

They're the ones who made music for us, made us feel warm when we were naked on rooftops, shaking from the cold.

We never kissed their mouth. We never had children with them.
We never fucked.

We never exchanged swears or words of love.

But we mourn them like spouses.
Cause we were the men and women of their lives.

They just never knew."

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #35 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 5:08pm
My favourite song by David

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2016 at 7:46am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #36 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 5:12pm
That was beautiful Fotini. Thanks for translating.

It's been a sad day. I wrapped it up by giving Blackstar another spin. Beautiful parting gift from a man who added a lot of colour to the world.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 5:58pm
One thing I did think was astonishing about Bowie's last few years was that even though he disappeared from public life for almost a decade, he somehow managed to avoid the media glare despite being one of the most recognizable music stars in the world and despite living in Lower Manhattan, of all places.  And it wasnt as if he was a recluse. By all accounts, strolling down to his local store to buy bagels was a regular occurrence.

And no interviews since about 2003. Not a single word to a journalist of any description in all that time. And to announce his return to music on his birthday three years ago by dropping 'Where are we now?' on i-tunes without anyone leaking the news was an astonishing achievement in this day and age.

His final years, as a result, are a period of his life which really intrigues me more than the 70's or anything else. Musicians in general aren't particularly great interviewees. Keith has historically been a terrific one (even though he's been prone to a bit of self parody in recent years), Dylan is another (partly because he does so few of them and has managed to remain enigmatic). Bowie certainly belongs in that category.  Tony Visconti has effectively been his 'voice on earth' for the last 3 years or so and his reminisces have been fabulous, but it goes without saying that would have been even better to have heard from the man himself.

I'd love to think that knowing of his impending demise, there was a final great secret interview made in recent weeks which was to remain unpublished while he was still alive. One can only hope. It would be a nice way to square the circle on the last decade of an amazing life.

... ... ...
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 6:45pm
I saw Bowie in Buffalo on the Station to Station tour in March 1976, and again in Pittsburgh in May 2004.  I had missed several other chances to see him over the years, and shortly after when he developed heart trouble and retired from touring I was glad I had taken my own dare.  "I'm Afraid of Americans" was so loud that night that the people standing in the orchestra with me were staggered back like we were standing behind a jet.  And everyone there was moved and floored by "Under Pressure" sung with bassist Gail Ann Dorsey.

When you love singers and actors and grow up just behind them, looking up to them, at a certain age in your life you begin to steel yourself against their passing, so you can write that off as inevitable when it comes, and not think as much about what you have lost...and what you are about to lose yourself, in the next decade or so.  I won't name the many I've tried to harden myself against losing, but I will say that Bowie was so vital and so promising of eternal return that it is devastating to wake up and find him gone.  One saw that he'd grown old, and sensed that he was ill, but one could never imagine him dying, nor know until now how much that would signify.  A new century has truly and sadly begun. 

And, yes, Starman - you have gone and left us alone with Gaga and Kesha and Adele, and...Sam Smith.  Bad daddy you are.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:35pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Bluzdude wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 10:06am:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:20am:
I had heard rumors that he's been sick for a while. That's one of the reasons he wasn't touring. But he kept busy with two very interesting albums. This was eerie, happening right after he released his new album. He went out as creative as he ever was. A true rock God. Musical genius and one of the great talents of our time.

I couldn't have said this better myself

....So Sad

Agree! Another Hard one to Accept
So many great songs Such a great Artist!
You are one of the Greats!

RIP Ziggy Thank you for your great Music!
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 7:47pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 8:43pm
This is a total shock, I can barely believe Bowie's gone. Its a huge loss but I have so many fond memories of him, his fans and his music that I have to be happy for his life. One memory I would like to share goes back to 1980 or 81. It's when his SCARY MONSTERS album came out and WMMR in Philadelphia was throwing a Halloween Party with David Bowie as the honored guest. My friend Cate got tickets from the station so we dressed in our Bowie-inspired costumes and made it to the club. Once inside, it was packed with the most wild looking group of people I had ever seen in my life. There were topless men with multiple nipple piercings, scary monsters, super creeps, super freaks, loud and tasteless fashionista, transgenders and heavily made up beautiful people. The DJ announced Bowie, who glided into the room with his goon squad. Nobody rushed him, surprisingly, but we got close enough to say hello.  He was wearing a white feathered hat and feathered one shoulder "Scary Monster" costume. The spotlight was on him, he didn't perform, but danced in the club to his music with his goon squad before waving goodbye with a quick exit. It was one of the most incredible exciting nights of my life. I will always love Bowie! Now I will have a Bowie music marathon in his honor.  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:17pm
"  ................ but he's unquestionably the greatest and most iconic artist the UK ever produced (I know some could make a case for Lennon, McCartney, Jagger, Richards to name four - but their legendary status comes .................   "

<  ----------- This may very well be true Gazza  .  But The Beatles arrived in America eleven weeks after the assassination of JFK  ................ and suddenly  ............. The United States of America was Young Again  .

" Best Stones Yet , Ronnie !!!!!  "

JACKY ! ®

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #42 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:59pm
So cancer has taken 3/4 of Ziggy and the Spiders....and yet we sit around and worry about ISIS coming to get us, and spend billions every year on bombs and aircraft carriers....and yet the real terrorist takes the ones we hold most dear. Almost 600,000 Americans every year.

All one can say is W. T. F.???

If we spent $$ on fighting this monster, imagine the lives that could be saved.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 10:24pm
Starbuck wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:59pm:
If we spent $$ on fighting this monster, imagine the lives that could be saved.

I definitely agree that much more money should be spent on research towards fighting cancer. It almost got me a couple of years ago and it took my mother in 2001. Almost everyone has a friend or loved one die of cancer in their lifetime--more than one for many of us. And then there are all too many other common deadly diseases. With that in mind, looking at a list of the projects that federal funds are spent on is enough to make one puke.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 10:45pm
Rest in peace!

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:28pm
A sad day indeed.

As with the Stones impossible to pick one favourite track but this one would have to be in the top five

If any British RO'ers subscribe to The Times website I would be more than  grateful if they could post Charles Shaar Murray's obit. Thanks.

Any comment from Mick or Keith?
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:31pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #46 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 8:00am
First header

London 1987 by Denis O'Regan

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #47 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 8:15am
By the other "Bill Wyman"...

Remembering bowie
10 Thoughts on David Bowie

By Bill Wyman   
January 11, 2016
1:48 p.m.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/10-thoughts-on-david-bowie.html

IP Logged

squiggle
I'm new!!

Reply #48 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 10:03am
I first discovered him in my early teens and he's been there - a part of my daily life - pretty much ever since. He was then at his lowest ebb artistically so my initial interest was quite retrospective but the slump became an opportunity to rise again and his work of the new millenium was some of his finest and most profound.

I keep starting to listen to his songs and then stopping because it's too unsettling. It seems bizarre that I'll never hear that voice singing a new song again.

At least we have all the others, and the quantity of great songs he produced is extraordinary. Only a few can match that sort of productivity (the Stones, the Beatles, Serge Gainsbourg) and none surpass it.

But although I'm saddened and confused by this sudden absence the feeling's a little different to the last time the death of a stranger affected me so much. When Syd Barrett died there was the sense of hopes cut short in an unusually cruel way (later made better by the realisation that he'd found peace and even happiness in his later years). Bowie, however, gained pretty much everything he might have wanted, including a happy family life. Although it doesn't make death seem any less unjust it's the best any of us can hope for and I suppose there's some comfort in that.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2016 at 2:34pm by squiggle »  

IP Logged

Lady Rainbow
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 11:08am
Brian, David and Quincy, a usual name for very unusual people !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)