Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allen Toussaint, the legendary songwriter and pianist, has died (Read 4,800 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Allen Toussaint, the legendary songwriter and pianist, has died
Nov 10th, 2015 at 6:05am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Allen Toussaint, the legendary songwriter and pianist, has died, WWL-TV reports

Caption: Jazz Festival Winding Up -- Performing the last weekend of the 1979 Jazz and Heritage Festival will be Allen Toussaint. Date: May 4, 1979. (Photo by Burt Steel, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune archive)

By NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

on November 10, 2015 at 5:20 AM, updated November 10, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Allen Toussaint, New Orleans composer, producer and performer, died Monday (Nov. 9) while on tour in Europe, WWL-TV reports. He was 77.

Mr. Toussaint, an elegant, talented, versatile force, turned out an avalanche of songs that have become a sturdy part of the canon of New Orleans music.

Mr. Toussaint was set to play a New Orleans Artists Against Hunger and Homelessness benefit concert on Dec. 8, with Paul Simon, at Le Petite Theatre. Toussaint co-founded HOAAHH in 1985.

He was on a tour in Spain, with plans to play in Belgium, London and Madrid, according to his Facebook page.

In addition to playing piano, he composed scores of songs, including "Ruler of My Heart," "A Certain Girl," "Fortune Teller" and "Lipstick Traces (on a Cigarette)." The New Orleans-born trumpeter Al Hirt had a hit with Mr. Toussaint's instrumental composition "Java."

In the 1970s, he embarked on a solo career, which reached a high point with the release of his "Southern Nights" album; the title song became a hit not only for him but also for Glen Camptell.

Mr. Toussaint performed frequently at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, both at the Fair Grounds and, in the early days, aboard the Steamer President for nighttime festival concerts. 

In collaboration with Marshall Sehorn, Mr. Toussaint created Sea-Saint recording studio where Paul and Linda McCartney, who recorded their album "Venus and Mars" there with their band, Wings, in 1975.

Mr. Toussaint's recently collaborated with Elvis Costello on the album "The River in Reverse." The tracks recorded in New Orleans were done in the first major studio session after Hurricane Katrina. He made a guest appearance at Costello's March 12 concert at the Civic. At the concert, Toussaint said of Costello "There was no one on the planet who cared more about New Orleans than this man."

Mr. Toussaint is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Blues Hall of Fame and the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame, and he received the National Medal of Arts from President Barack Obama.

Throughout his career, Mr. Toussaint has maintained a reputation for sartorial panache with a wardrobe of snazzy outfits, which he wears even in the heat of outdoor festivals. At last year's Jazz and Heritage Festival, Brett Anderson wrote, "His stage outfit blended paid, paisley and polka dots like nobody's business."

The whimsy carried over to the vanity plates for his golden Rolls-Royces: One read "Piano," another, "Tunes."

Come back to NOLA.com for more details on Mr. Toussaint's life and career.

John Pope, a contributing writer to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune, contributed to this report.

Slideshow here: http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2015/11/allen_toussaint_dies.html#incart_bre...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Allen Toussaint, the legendary songwriter and pianist, has died
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 8:30am
Legendary musician Allen Toussaint dies after performance in Spain

Toussaint dies at 77, European news outlets report

Published  8:53 AM EST Nov 10, 2015

Allen Toussaint is honored with the National Medal of Arts by President Barack Obama in 2013 at the White House. (2013)WDSU

NEW ORLEANS —Legendary musician Allen Toussaint died Monday following a performance in Spain. He was 77 years old.

Madrid emergency services spokesman Javier Ayuso told the Associated Press that rescue workers were called to Toussaint's hotel early Monday morning and managed to revive him after he suffered a heart attack.

But Ayuso says the 77-year-old Toussaint stopped breathing during the ambulance ride to a hospital and efforts to revive him again were unsuccessful.

He was taken to Jimenez Diaz Foundation Hospital in Madrid and was pronounced dead on arrival, El Mundo reported.

Toussaint had just performed at the Teatro Lara before his death.

A fan posted a video of his performance to YouTube on Monday night. Watch it below or tap here.

After being born in 1938, Toussaint grew up in the New Orleans neighborhood of Gert Town, raised by his parents Naomi Neville and Clarence Toussaint. In at least 20 songs, Toussaint credits his parents as writers.

In the 1960s, he wrote and produced a series of hits for New Orleans artists, such as Ernie K-Doe, Irma Thomas and the Neville Brothers, among many others. Many of his hits were later covered by pop and rock artists, such as The Rolling Stones, The Who, Ringo Starr and Alex Chilton.

In the 1970s, Toussaint teamed with Patti Labelle and produced the album "Nightbirds," which birthed the No. 1 hit "Lady Marmalade." The song has been covered, redone and remixed numerous times by countless artists.

Paul McCartney and Wings also paired up with Toussaint on the album "Venus and Mars." On that record, Toussaint played on the song "Rock Show."

Other songs, such as "Ruler of My Heart," "Fortune Teller" and "Working in the Coal Mine," are among many that artists covered in nearly all music genres.

Toussaint's legacy earned him inductions into multiple halls of fame, including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2009 and the Blues Hall of Fame in 2011.

When the news of Toussaint's death began circulating on social media Tuesday morning, New Orleans artists posted their condolences and memories.

"Sad news," trumpeter Jeremy Davenport said on Twitter. "RIP Allen Toussaint. He was at my show a few weeks ago and I'm thankful that we visited one final time. He was always kind to me."

New Orleans brass band the Soul Rebels said a legend has passed.

"A legend has left us," the Soul Rebels said in a post on Twitter. "RIP Allen Toussaint. So many hits and such a legacy. You will be truly missed."

The Rolling Stones posted a link to a YouTube video for "Fortune Teller," saying "RIP Allen Toussaint."

Toussaint was next scheduled to perform in Belgium on Thursday, then at the EFG Jazz Festival in London on Sunday. The jazz festival lasts 10 days.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

http://www.wptz.com/news/legendary-musician-allen-toussaint-dies-after-performan...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 8:32am
RIP

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 8:43am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 9:21am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 9:31am
Allen Toussaint, New Orleans R&B Musician, Dies at 77

By KATIE ROGERS and BEN SISARIONOV. 10, 2015
Photo

Allen Toussaint at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 2010. Credit Skip Bolen/European Pressphoto Agency

Allen Toussaint, the versatile producer and songwriter who was a fixture of New Orleans R&B, died Monday after appearing in concert in Madrid. He was 77.

His daughter, Alison Toussaint-LeBeaux, confirmed his death in an email, and said the cause appeared to be a heart attack. El Mundo reported in Spain that Mr. Toussaint had collapsed at a hotel after the performance and was taken to a hospital.

He had been keeping a busy schedule, appearing in the United States and in Europe in recent weeks, with plans to perform in Belgium and Britain after his appearance in Spain.

Mr. Toussaint was born in 1938 in Gert Town, a humble, working-class neighborhood of New Orleans, where he taught himself piano. He began his career as a teenager in the 1950s, releasing his first album in 1958 under the name Tousan. In 1960, he became the house producer, arranger and songwriter for the Minit label, working on songs like Ernie K-Doe’s “Mother in Law,” Lee Dorsey’s “Ya Ya” and Jessie Hill’s “Ooh Poo Pah Doo.”

Throughout his career, Mr. Toussaint embodied the traditions of the New Orleans R&B scene, working as one of the city’s most prolific and influential songwriters and producers during the 1960s and 70s. Even in that fertile period of New Orleans music, Mr. Toussaint’s work stood out for its humor, jaunty style and arrangements with piano flourishes that showed the influence of Professor Longhair.

After a brief stint in the United States Army, Mr. Toussaint returned to music in 1965 and continued to work with a range of New Orleans musicians, including the early funk group the Meters. He co-founded Sea-Saint Studios in 1972, which attracted Paul Simon, Paul McCartney and others.

His songs would eventually be covered widely by other musicians, including “Java,” a hit for Al Hirt in 1964, and “Fortune Teller,” which became a standard among British Invasion rock bands in the mid-60s, recorded by the Who and the Rolling Stones, among others.

“I was so glad when the Stones recorded my song,” Mr. Toussaint once told an interviewer. “ I knew they would know how to roll it all the way to the bank.”

On Tuesday, the Rolling Stones posted the song on Twitter, with the message “RIP Allen Toussaint.” Other musicians, like Harry Shearer and Harry Connick Jr., also posted messages.

“We have lost a giant,” Mr. Shearer wrote.

In recent years, Mr. Toussaint continued to be a frequent and versatile collaborator, whether it was exploring his roots with New Orleans musicians or pairing with pop stars like Elvis Costello, with whom he recorded the album “The River in Reverse,” a response to Hurricane Katrina.

According to his website, Mr. Toussaint said his career was rebooted a decade ago when the storm forced him to move to New York, where he often performed alone at Joe’s Pub on Lafayette Street.

Mr. Toussaint would eventually return home, where he was a beloved local figure with an understated demeanor.

“I’m not accustomed to talking about myself,” he said, according to his website. “I talk in the studio with musicians. Or through my songs.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/arts/music/allen-toussaint-dies.html

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 9:34am

Paul McCartney recording with Allen Toussaint (at piano) at Sea-Saint Studio in Gentilly on January 31, 1975.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 9:47am
Allen Toussaint: 'I was so glad when the Rolling Stones recorded my song'

CREDIT: CHRISTOPHER JONES / THE TELEGRAPH

By Martin Chilton, culture editor
10 NOVEMBER 2015

With the news that Allen Toussaint has died, read an interview with the jazz great, at of one of his last gigs in the UK, Brecon Jazz Festival in 2011:

Allen Toussaint was standing looking at the trees after his stunning concert at the Brecon Jazz Festival.

"This is such a beautiful part of the world. I've already composed two songs while I have been in Brecon," he said.

Wales should be honoured and will be in for a lyrical treat because New Orleans-born Toussaint is one of the greatest living songwriters.

The 73-year-old showed off some of his vast and awesome back catalogue in a concert that earned two standing ovations as the headline act of the 2011 festival.

He's a world class act in so many ways. As a writer, a singer, arranger and pianist – and for a naturally quiet and reserved man he is a born showman and droll wisecracker.

Brecon knew it was in for a good night when he turned up on stage in a dazzling red and gold sparkling suit that matched the Mardi Gras mask perched on his Steinway grand piano.

CREDIT: TELEGRAPH/CHRISTOPHER JONES

There were asides galore in an extended 100-minute set. He opened by turning to the seats to his right saying: "I'd like to pay special tribute to a group of wonderful people who are going to see the back of my head all night."

He glided through a medley of early hits that included A Certain Girl/Fortune Teller/Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)/Working In The Coalmine before doing a fine version of Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley.

Toussaint's songs have been recorded by artists for the past 40 years including Lee Dorsey, The Rolling Stones, The Neville Brothers, Frankie Miller, Robert Palmer, Lowell George, Otis Redding, Dr John, Irma Thomas and Elvis Costello – and hundreds more.

Here Come the Girls? I thought that song was laid up for dead. Thank God for adverts

Toussaint was keen to pay tribute to the performers who have made his songs so well known. Fortune Teller was covered by the Rolling Stones and Toussaint joked: "I was so glad when the Stones recorded my song – I knew they would know how to roll it all the way to the bank."

One of the more improvisational elements of the concert was an extended instrumental, with playful classical, blues, jazz and show tunes thrown in – even a bit of Roll Out The Barrel – sometimes in the mock style of a cocktail pianist but all with the rolling New Orleans piano style he excels at. There was a serious point to it. Toussaint talked about what had happened to him post-Katrina, where he had been forced to leave New Orleans. "Hurricane Katrina forced me out of my comfort zone. I had to go out on the road and do concerts – I even had to do interviews. Before that I had spent most of my life in studios waiting for the red light to come on. Now I'm taking New Orleans with me wherever I go."

The finale of the set was a touching version of All Of These Things, which he had written for Aaron Neville, followed by a boisterous version of Here Come The Girls, which went back into the charts in 2007 – 37 years after Ernie K Doe recorded it – when Boots used it as a Christmas commerical. "I thought that song was laid up for dead," Toussaint joked. "Thank God for adverts."

He was given two standing ovations – coming on to do an encore of Tipitina - before handing over his Mardi Gras mask (in gold and red colours to match his outfit) to a lady in the audience.

Toussaint's act had also included an unexpected song in tribute to Brecon. Although he had joked "I have no idea where I am" he turned himself into perhaps the most charismatic walking advertising board Brecon and the Welsh tourist board could have wished for.

"I'm blessed as a guest of the best,
and greatest green I've ever seen
when you get me day dreaming
with a smile on my face
I reckon, I'm in Brecon."

Given that this is the man who wrote the beautiful song Southern Nights – in tribute to the times he had spent in the American south with his family looking at the moonlight dancing on the leaves of the trees – this was high praise. He gave a wonderful monologue about his boyhood memories of those times.

After the show, I asked him about his first trip to the Brecon Jazz Festival.

"As we drove up from Heathrow, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It's just so beautiful. I have a lot more verses to the song I ad-libbed. I've already been inspired to write a couple of songs while I've been here. I can't get over what it's like here. I can't believe you could get angry here."

Toussaint, who normally performs with a quintet that includes his son, says he is a compulsive scribbler, constantly jotting notes down on scraps of paper. He talked about New Orleans jazz post-Katrina, Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet and Ben Webster and Dave Bartholomew ("he's still performing at the age of 90"), and the benefits of the HBO series Treme, whose wonderful soundtrack features Toussaint.

Allen Toussaint at Jazz Vitoria festival in 2009 CREDIT: AFP/GETTY IMAGES/RAFA RIVAS

He was also fulsome in his praise of fellow songwriter Randy Newman. "What a great songwriter. Such an intellect and he makes complicated songs so simple – and who else would think about writing a jokey song about the young Stalin?"

And what about giving away the Mardi Gras mask at the concert?

"I only give away one now. I used to love wandering in the crowd and giving away masks. I thought well if I was in the audience, I would want a mask but my manager limits it to one now – he says it detracts from the music."

Nothing detracts from music as good as Toussaint's. Brecon was treated to a world-class performer and showman. And now they will have songs to prove it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/allen-toussaint-brecon-jazz-f...

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 11:11am
An absolute giant of 20th century music, and 1000% pure class. Performing with heart and soul to the very end. He will be sorely missed. Hope he gets a big jazz sendoff in New Orleans.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 2:31pm
New Orleans Music Legend Allen Toussaint Dies: Here Are Five of His Best Collaborations

Allen Toussaint
GILLES PETARD/REDFERNS

BY ALEX HEIGL

Allen Toussaint, a legendary fixture of New Orleans music – both in the city as a representative of its distinctive sound – died Monday at 77.

While Toussaint wasn't quite a household name as other Crescent City notables like the Marsalis family or Dr. John, he contributed arguably as much as any other New Orleans musician, through a busy schedule of performance, production, songwriting and arranging for other artists.

Toussaint was born in 1938 and taught himself piano. He released his first album in 1958 and by 1960 was the house producer, arranger and songwriter for New Orleans' Minit Label. After briefly serving in the Army, he returned to music in 1965. By that time, one of his songs, "Fortune Teller," had become something of a British Invasion standard, recorded by the Who and the Rolling Stones.

"I was so glad when the Stones recorded my song,” Toussaint told the U.K. Telegraph." I knew they would know how to roll it all the way to the bank."

By 1972, Toussaint had co-founded Sea-Saint Studios, at which Paul Simon, Paul McCartney and many others recorded. He was an in-demand arranger at this point, too, adding sumptuous horn parts to releases by The Band for their live album, 1972 Rock of Ages, a role he'd resume for their 1978 farewell concert, The Last Waltz

In 1975, Toussaint produced Patti Labelle's iconic version of "Lady Marmalade" (a song written about New Orleans' women of the night) …

… and in 1977, his song "Southern Nights" was recorded by Glen Campbell, eventually reaching number one on the Billboard Hot Country Singles, Hot 100 and Hot Adult Contemporary charts.

Displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Toussaint settled in New York, and released an acclaimed contribution with Elvis Costello, The River in Reverse, the next year.

In 2010, Toussaint appeared on Eric Clapton's self-titled album, covering two Fats Waller songs, "My Very Good Friend the Milkman" and "When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful."

Fans of the HBO series Treme would also recognize Toussaint from the several appearances he made on the series playing himself.

http://www.people.com/article/allen-toussaint-dies-collaborations

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 4:05pm
MAYOR LANDRIEU ISSUES STATEMENT
ON PASSING OF ALLEN TOUSSAINT

NEW ORLEANS – Today, Mayor Mitch Landrieu issued the following statement upon the passing of Allen Toussaint. Toussaint was a famed New Orleans musician and songwriter who shared New Orleans-style rhythm and blues around the world.

Statement from Mayor Mitch Landrieu:

"I am heartbroken by the passing of jazz icon Allen Toussaint while he was on tour in Europe. Last year, Allen was honored with a NOLA Legends Award for his part in creating the history and shaping the future of New Orleans. He was an inspiring, prolific songwriter and performer whose unmistakable sound has forever defined our city's unique cultural heritage. Born and raised in the Gert Town neighborhood, Allen went on to travel the world and perform with many of today’s great musicians, but he always remembered his roots. He was a true ambassador of our city who carried our spirit everywhere he went. The world has lost one of the greats, but his music will live on forever. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this very difficult time of grief.”

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Jesus...does every thread around here have to end up with a pic of Paul in it??

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 9:45am
Allen Toussaint: The Lost Interview

"I saw the human drama in full force," songwriter said in a previously unpublished interview just days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans

BY ROLLING STONE November 10, 2015

Allen Toussaint opened up about his experience during Hurricane Katrina in a previously unpublished interview that took place just days after the storm struck New Orleans. Chad Batka/The NY Times/Redux

Iconic songwriter Allen Toussaint passed away today at age 77. A New Orleans native, and a mainstay of the city's musical life for well over 50 years, Toussaint wrote, arranged and produced for Big Easy legends such as the Meters, Dr. John and Lee Dorsey. Rolling Stone reached Toussaint in the days immediately following Hurricane Katrina's 2005 devastation of the city. In this previously unpublished interview with Contributing Editor Steve Knopper, Toussaint reflects on the resilience of New Orleans culture and the depth of his connection to the city he loved.

How are you doing?
I'm very well. Thank you very much. I normally would stay right through hurricanes — I've been through all of them since I was born. This one, of course, was the biggie — this was the zenith of hurricanes. I stayed in my home until it was just about recommended that anyone should leave that area, so I went and checked into Astor Hotel on Canal Street. Then the storm really, really hit and water was everywhere. Canal Street was flooded — I wouldn't say it was up to roofs on Canal Street, but it was at least too high to drive a conventional vehicle through. We were stuck in a hotel and then the power went out, of course; then the water lines were corrupted and corroded. The water was not totally safe — they recommended that water was boiled before you consumed it. I used bottled water after that. I was in a hotel where the people did very well on limited resources; they ran a generator.

I must say I saw the human drama in full force. I saw the balancing act of heroes and mulligans — but I saw more heroes than I saw "other than." In spite of all that it was, and is, I'm glad that I was there through it because I'm a diehard Orleanian for one thing. If it happened in New Orleans — whether it's good bad or indifferent — I'm glad I was there. As much water as they had, my spirit did not get consumed. I'm looking forward to the future of rebuilding New Orleans. I never was worried about my life, no. I always knew exactly where I was and the conditions — it was always livable to me .... As ironically as it may sound, I was still glad to be there.

When and how did you leave?
It was the day before — when they were announcing that the city should be evacuated. My way of evacuating the city was just evacuating my house and going down to a hotel. The area that I live in … They showed aerial shots, could only see rooftops. I did the right thing by going to the hotel when I did. My house, two floors — maybe something [can be] salvaged on [the] second level. My piano and all my equipment — that's all probably gone. But it has served me well for a long time so I really don't mind the process of rebuilding.

Did you lose sentimental items?
Oh, yes, definitely — and about many, many other things. We all have those sentimental things — some things we have for 10 years and suddenly. Fine Steinway — but there are other Steinways and I'm looking forward to new things and exciting times, purchasing new things and seeing things that I didn't have.

I left the city yesterday. I finally was able to get a chartered bus from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, and from Baton Rouge, 6:50 this morning, I was able to get a flight to Houston, Texas, and immediate connection onto Joshua, New York. [I'll] be finding momentary residence for a brief spell. I'm looking forward to being here because I love New York.

Tell me about the Steinway you mentioned you lost.
Owned that Steinway since the Seventies — it's been a dear friend and confidante, you might say.

How were people dealing with each other during the crisis?
I guess everyone saw a lot of looting on TV and things of that nature, people really yelling at each other and stealing various things. There was some of that. But there was more — beautiful things happened, with people interacting with each other, really communicating in ways that they didn't know that they could. People could do many things with others — a guy looked like he was maybe someone to be afraid of, maybe helping [an] old lady get some water. That was just delightful — I saw lots of things like that going on.

Where exactly did you live?
I lived near Bayou St. John, lived near the Fairgrounds where the Jazz Festival takes place. From my bedroom balcony over my background, I could hear everyone tuning up during Jazz Fest. When I left my house, it all hadn't started; [it] started to rain a little. Soon thereafter, it was right underwater in the area. House had four to seven feet of water. I saw aerial views of the area. Sometimes you could see rooftops and two to three feet.

Did you live alone or with other people?
Alone. Oh, definitely — my daughter Alison and her family went to Houston at the first sign. My son Reggie, who's the engineer and the percussionist, and his family, went to Texas as well. They're not as diehard as I am. But then they have more people to move about.

I heard your daughter tried to get you to leave much sooner than you did — accurate?
Accurate. Every time! She always tries to get me out early, but it won't happen. It was a New Orleans event and I was there and I'm glad to say I was there to see it, whether good or bad. Again, I say the human drama was overwhelming.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/allen-toussaint-the-lost-interview-20...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 3:13pm
Every time I log on here, someone else is dead. Ya  know what?
We're a fucking jinx Betty.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 8:28pm
rest in peace mr toussaint

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Another goodbye to another good musician!

The first time I knew about him was when I bought my "In the right place" album by Dr. John, the song "Life" is by him and in the album he does a lot of things including producer arranger. Conductor and composer, so at the beginning I thought Allen Toussaint was in fact Dr. John

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 9:17pm
RIP !!!!

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2015 at 9:32pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 10:17pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 10:18pm

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Joey wrote on Nov 11th, 2015 at 9:17pm:
RIP !!!!

Don't tell me Glen Campbell died. So near to me Dad's demise. Shit! That's fucking spooky. I hope me poltergeist don't come back now.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:17am
Got 15 minutes?

The link below contains a video of the second-line parade held just after the tribute for Toussaint in New Orleans yesterday.

The music is somber as the coffin is brought to the hearse, but then breaks out into a jazz celebration and a parade.

This is a rare event, even for New Orleans. Enjoy:

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2015/11/allen_toussaint_tribute_in_new_2.h...

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 2:14pm
After all this love - Nobody will reseed Lee Dorsey's hits (produced by and featuring Toussaint) on Kickass Torrents.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 2:59pm
My favorite, but there are so many:

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 3:49pm
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:17am:
Got 15 minutes?

The link below contains a video of the second-line parade held just after the tribute for Toussaint in New Orleans yesterday.

The music is somber as the coffin is brought to the hearse, but then breaks out into a jazz celebration and a parade.

This is a rare event, even for New Orleans. Enjoy:

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2015/11/allen_toussaint_tribute_in_new_2.h...

Love it! enjoyed it a lot... first the solemnity and then the celebration of Allen's life, cool

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 7:08pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)