Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Collector wants to sell unreleased Rolling Stones tape (Read 858 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Collector wants to sell unreleased Rolling Stones tape
Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:01am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Exclusive: Collector wants to sell unreleased Rolling Stones tape

October 28, 2015

Jeremy Nielsen, who recently revealed he possessed a tape of Rolling Stones tracks thought to be previously unheard, said in an interview he has been in touch with an archivist who confirmed the tape is a rarity. “I am in contact with and recently spoke (with) an acknowledged expert regarding the Rolling Stones. He has listened to the tracks and is very impressed at the "fabulous quality" and confirms that one of the tracks is unheard of and to all intents does not exist.”

The tracks on the tape are “Diddley Daddy,” “Roadrunner,” “Bright Lights, Big City,” “I Want To Be Loved,” “Baby's What's Wrong,” “As Tears Go By,” “Congratulations” and “No One Loves You More Than Me,” plus a second take of “As Tears Go By.” The first five tracks, from “Diddley Daddy” to “Baby's What's Wrong,” were recorded in March of 1963 at IBC Studios and have been widely bootlegged and were recently included with the Stones' “Grrrrr” album.

But the other songs are a mystery. The unreleased track 8, “No One Loves You More Than Me” is an upbeat song with a great vocal by Jagger. And the second version of “As Tears Go By,” track 9, which features Jagger singing backed by the Stones and without orchestra backing of any kind, was not even known to exist and has never been documented. According to Nielsen, the archivist confirmed that the three other tracks are different versions to those released. As to precisely where these song tracks were recorded, the archivist told him he can make a good guess but actually does not know.

“The first version of 'As Tears Go By' is effectively the same as the record in that the words are the same, but the composition is different and I think the tape version of Jagger's voice is stronger and is not 'sanitized' as the record,” Neilsen says. “I also think the 'group' version (the second one) is better than just Jagger and possibly Richards, but could have been Big Jim Johnson and his 12 string guitar.”

Nielsen says, though, that the four tracks were not likely recorded during the March 1963 IBC recording session, because they “show a much 'broader' sound pattern on a spectrum analyser and therefore could not have been recorded on the same recording equipment.” But, he says, this does not mean they were not recorded at IBC at a later date, because IBC were upgrading their equipment continually.

“It is most likely they were done prior to Marianne Faithful's 'As Tears Go By' release and the official recording of 'Congratulations' on the 12th May '64.” It also is a possibility, he said, that the outtake version of “As Tears Go By” may be an orphan track. But, Neilsen said, “the tape as a whole is really only a collectors dream come true.”

And it's for sale. “I have owned this tape for almost 50 years and kept it secure and the nine-song tracks are as good as if they where recorded just yesterday. I would now like to sell it and for a Stones collector, the tape is a dream because the quality is better than anything released, song tracks six, seven and nine are different versions to those released. And song eight is unique and “effectively doesn't exist.” It is not referred to by the Stones, or any publication or archivist and now has no mechanical copyright and no one knows who wrote the song. This makes it an 'orphan work', which for the Rolling Stones is unique and to a collector, very collectable and valuable.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-collector-wants-to-sell-unreleased-rol...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Re: Collector wants to sell unreleased Rolling Stones tape
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 5:04pm
I have a tape of Keef's friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend farting into a microphone.  I am looking to sell.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Collector wants to sell unreleased Rolling Stones tape
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 5:07pm
job ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)