Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It Ain't Easy Being Keith Richards (Read 4,433 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
It Ain't Easy Being Keith Richards
Oct 7th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
It Ain't Easy Being Keith Richards: Inside the New Issue

Rock's pirate king speaks candidly about Mick, mortality and more in new cover story

BY ROLLING STONE October 7, 2015

Keith Richards gives one of his most revealing interviews in years in new issue of Rolling Stone. Theo Wenner

Keith Richards gives one of his most revealing interviews in years in the new issue of Rolling Stone (on stands Friday). For the in-depth cover story, the Rolling Stones guitarist invited associate editor Patrick Doyle to hang out with him at Luc's in Ridgefield, Connecticut – an unassuming French bistro near Richards' house where he's a regular – and at the downtown New York studio where he recorded much of his new solo album, Crosseyed Heart.

Richards also invited Doyle to tag along with him as he promoted the album (at a radio interview, Richards told a producer he didn't want to see questions beforehand: "The only question I need to hear is, 'How do you plead?'" he joked). Along the way, the guitarist opened up about his friendship and adversity with Mick Jagger, his outlaw image, his plans for the next Stones album and what it's been like for him getting older.

Revelations from the story include:

Richards recently suffered a very painful injury, which he's been keeping secret.
When RS first caught up with Richards in Connecticut in mid-August, he had just come off the Stones' summer stadium tour. At the band's July 4th show in Indianapolis, Richards was running down the catwalk toward to stage during the sax solo of "Miss You" and tripped face-forward. "Somebody tossed a red straw boater hat, and it landed right in front of my feet," Richards says. "I kicked it aside – 'All right, that's out of the way' – and it fucking bounced back in front of me, and I hit the floor. And suddenly I'm on my hands and knees in front of 60,000 people. My bracelet came off from the shock. It was, 'OK, get out of this one, pal!"

"I might've cracked a rib," he says, placing his hand on his right side. "There's nothing doctors can do about it. I thought, 'Shit, if I let them know how much I'm hurting, the doctors and the insurance companies will be like, 'Cancel the next gigs.' Fuck it. I'll live with it. After 50 year on the stage, you're going to fall over occasionally and take a knock."

He opens up about being a grandfather.
Richards has five grandchildren, age one to 19. "A couple of my grandsons, all they want to do is go on the road with me now," he laughs. "Well, maybe that isn't the best idea." One of them is Orson, who is 15 and looks like a young Keith, except with blond hair. "He likes to hang with me, but he got to go to school still," Richards says. "So I play scrabble with him, on my computer. It's the only thing I use the thing for. I give him the worst words I can think of: shithead, asshole."

Theo Wenner

Richards pokes fun at Donald Trump.
Richards recently ran into Trump at Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary party. Backstage at a radio interview, Richards does his best Trump impression, hunching down and pursing his lips. "You're the greatest," he says, mimicking Trump saying hello to him and then swooping around to shake someone else's hand. "You're the greatest."

The previous night, Richards watched a Trump rally in Dallas on TV. "It was the Donald Trump show. He's got 'em by the balls right now. I don't know how long he can keep that show without changing the set list, but that's another thing. Meanwhile, his closest runner-up is a black neurosurgeon. Between the two of them, they've really smashed up the Republican party."

His 2006 brain injury was more serious than he let on.
Richards discusses at length the aftermath of his 2006 accident in which he fell off a branch in Fiji. "You take a blow like that, you kind of feel stunned for another year or two afterward, really," he says. "You know, you suddenly realize you've been semiconscious." One consequence of the accident was Richards had to stop using cocaine before gigs, and reduce his alcohol intake. Richards says it's helped with his post-show recovery time. "Take cocaine onstage, and you're drenched. Now, half an hour, drive me home, and I'm ready for anything."

Since reconciling with Mick Jagger and heading out on the road with the Stones in 2012, Richards has returned with a new attitude.
The guitarist has been working with Jagger on choosing the set lists for each show, which he hadn't done for years. "[Keith] is the first one in the rehearsal room and the last one to leave," says Pierre de Beauport, Richards' longtime guitar tech. "Nothing is going to happen without him there."

The Stones have agreed to record their first new album since A Bigger Bang – and Richards is talking to Mick Jagger about how to open up the Stones' sound:
"I think Mick Jagger is probably the best blues-harp player that I've ever heard," Richards says. "He's up there with Little Walter – he amazes me. So we have this conversation: 'You phrase like that – why don't you try to sing more like that?' And Mick would say, 'It's two totally different things!' And my reply is, 'It's just blowing air out of your mouth.' When Mick is singing, he tends to phrase pretty much the same way as the record goes. Whereas on harp, he'll let it fly. That's basically what we talk about, and probably our bone of contention."

Look for the issue on stands or download it on Friday, October 9th.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/it-aint-easy-being-keith-richards-inside-...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Re: It Ain't Easy Being Keith Richards
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 4:19pm
I think we're really lucky to have Keith happy and kicking ass considering everything that happened near the end and after ABB.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Richards pokes fun at Donald Trump.
Richards recently ran into Trump at Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary party. Backstage at a radio interview, Richards does his best Trump impression, hunching down and pursing his lips. "You're the greatest," he says, mimicking Trump saying hello to him and then swooping around to shake someone else's hand. "You're the greatest."

The previous night, Richards watched a Trump rally in Dallas on TV. "It was the Donald Trump show. He's got 'em by the balls right now. I don't know how long he can keep that show without changing the set list, but that's another thing. Meanwhile, his closest runner-up is a black neurosurgeon. Between the two of them, they've really smashed up the Republican party."

surely you can't be serious!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 6:34pm
Richards' liberal views are going to alienate both RO's true and psuedo-conservatives.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 7:19pm
sirmoonie wrote on Oct 7th, 2015 at 6:34pm:
Richards' liberal views are going to alienate both RO's true and psuedo-conservatives.

here it comes...

I doubt there are any "real conservatives here on RO...maybe some light-weight posers who want to say something provocative...but this is generally a pretty liberal crowd, innit?

I mean, RO carried the last presidential election in 4 or 5  of the swing states, right?
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2015 at 7:22pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:06pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:19pm
Thanks Edith.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 4:48am
I KNEW he was hurt from that fall in Indy. Detroit and/or Buffalo could easily have been cancelled. Whew. Gets up and shakes off a broken rib at 71. That's our Keef.

Great article!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 10:33am
" Richards recently suffered a very painful injury, which he's been keeping secret.
When RS first caught up with Richards in Connecticut in mid-August, he had just come off the Stones' summer stadium tour. At the band's July 4th show in Indianapolis, Richards was running down the catwalk toward to stage during the sax solo of "Miss You" and tripped face-forward. "Somebody tossed a red straw boater hat, and it landed right in front of my feet," Richards says. "I kicked it aside – 'All right, that's out of the way' – and it fucking bounced back in front of me, and I hit the floor. And suddenly I'm on my hands and knees in front of 60,000 people. My bracelet came off from the shock. It was, 'OK, get out of this one, pal!"

"I might've cracked a rib," he says, placing his hand on his right side. "There's nothing doctors can do about it. I thought, 'Shit, if I let them know how much I'm hurting, the doctors and the insurance companies will be like, 'Cancel the next gigs.' Fuck it. I'll live with it. After 50 year on the stage, you're going to fall over occasionally and take a knock."

This makes young Joeykins scared .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 1:14pm
dude is bold.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Yeah, he's bold.  He's bad-mouthing-the-next-president-of-the-United-States type bold.  All Birkenstock wearing, Kumbaya, latte drinking, tree hugging, granola eating goddam liberal elitist!

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:35pm
you will not be greeted.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 5:39pm
A big thank you to our friend Cristiano Radtke from Brazil, who scanned the article and sent it to me....

(click on each link)

http://imgur.com/941FVCL

http://imgur.com/kh2ppFq

http://imgur.com/nzUKvxu

http://imgur.com/BNNU54V

http://imgur.com/hlG7wex

http://imgur.com/XeRXH6M

http://imgur.com/ByMUn8j

http://imgur.com/MvrVq8Z

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2015 at 5:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Some Guy wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:35pm:
you will not be greeted.

Tax raising, Volvo driving, sushi eating, chicken in every pot, draft dodging, Fruitvale Station watching, Saul Alinsky acolyting, liberal elitist!

IP Logged

MP
Rocks Off Regular

I thought you were dinner,
but you were the shark

UK
Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 6:38pm
yeah

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm
LadyJane wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 4:48am:
I KNEW he was hurt from that fall in Indy. Detroit and/or Buffalo could easily have been cancelled. Whew. Gets up and shakes off a broken rib at 71. That's our Keef.

Great article!

Might also explain why he's chosen not to do any live appearances to promote his solo album, despite initially indicating that it was likely that he would.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 8:37am
The Stones have agreed to record their first new album since A Bigger Bang – and Richards is talking to Mick Jagger about how to open up the Stones' sound:
"I think Mick Jagger is probably the best blues-harp player that I've ever heard," Richards says. "He's up there with Little Walter – he amazes me. So we have this conversation: 'You phrase like that – why don't you try to sing more like that?' And Mick would say, 'It's two totally different things!' And my reply is, 'It's just blowing air out of your mouth.' When Mick is singing, he tends to phrase pretty much the same way as the record goes. Whereas on harp, he'll let it fly. That's basically what we talk about, and probably our bone of contention."

It's a swell idea, and Jagger has reached for this before in some of his best blues-influenced singing, and (I would argue) in some of his 1975 tour vocal style.  Hell, even Howlin' Wolf could fly this way with his gravel-pit voice.

I sometimes wonder how much the mall-walking from one wing of the stage to the other since 1989 has influenced Jagger's phrasing.  I was glad to see less of these aerobics in 2015.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2015 at 8:42am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 9:29am
" Might also explain why he's chosen not to do any live appearances to promote his solo album, despite initially indicating that it was likely that he would."

Mick does not like it when Keith ' strays  ' on him with other bands .

" Hit Me Ronnie !!!! "

Jacky ! ®

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 12:24pm
It was the Xpensive-Winos that got Richards to switch from bourbon to vodka.  I'm on the fence on that decision.

Still can't see how this guy is alive with that chain-smoking cigarette intake over all these decades.  I'm starting to believe the myths!

"Cocaine is not an addiction.  It's only a habit."

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 3:14pm
Regarding Keith Moon:  "[Moon] could play to Pete [Townshend] like nobody else in the world. But if somebody threw [Moon] into a session with somebody else, it was a disaster."

Anyone know what session or sessions he is referring to? 

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 6:38pm
sirmoonie wrote on Oct 10th, 2015 at 3:14pm:
Regarding Keith Moon:  "[Moon] could play to Pete [Townshend] like nobody else in the world. But if somebody threw [Moon] into a session with somebody else, it was a disaster."

Anyone know what session or sessions he is referring to? 

Perhaps, faded memories from Rock n Roll Circus ?

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm:

Great article!

Might also explain why he's chosen not to do any live appearances to promote his solo album, despite initially indicating that it was likely that he would.

DAMN! I was also worried about this fall! KEEF did a great job hiding it and continuing the rest of the tour. On with the show, keep the Stones rolling. We are so lucky, it could of been a disaster. This may sound cray because I'm not religious at all, but I think KEEF and MICK are blessed by God because they have brought so many people joy and happiness around the world for so many years. 

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #22 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 7:39am
" Anyone know what session or sessions he is referring to?  "

Tough to say as Keith Moon , Charlie Watts and John Bonham are / were the three greatest drummers of all time . Perhaps Keef was referring to Kenny Jones . Kenny was so friggin bad that many fans developed Cirrhosis of the liver as they headed straight to the bar after every single concert whilst desperately trying to forget what they had just witnessed ( Kenny butchering legendary song after another with his bathetic playing )  .   You see  ....  there was nobody else at the time  ........

..........but I digress .

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-who-kenney-jones/

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2011/08/kenney-jones-quintessential-british-dr...

" Hit Me Ronnie !!!  "

JACKY !!!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2015 at 10:19am by Joey »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #23 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 9:49am
Gazza wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 8:20pm:

Great article!

Certainly didn't look that bad.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #24 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 10:36am
" ................. Certainly didn't look that bad. "

B- Bad ?!   .........  " BAD "  ......... ?!

You want ' bad '  .... ?!

Check out some of those stadium gigs from 1982 . I do not know how in the Hell he did it but Kenny Jones had an unholy KNACK for making every single song sound EXACTLY the same   ---  Each had a rumbling / thumping about them  --- like a school bus hurtling down the road at ninety miles per hour with a flat tire in the front and another in the back .  Sometimes I STILL have nightmares from Kenny's pathetic playing on that tour with the occasional ' night sweats  ' and  delirium tremens .

Shiver ..................................................

|
|
|
V

JACKY !!!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2015 at 10:40am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)