Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC/MD/VA: The Dukes of Dartford (Read 2,546 times)
patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

DC/MD/VA: The Dukes of Dartford
Sep 21st, 2015 at 10:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
DC/MD/VA Residents: The Dukes of Dartford -- a sloppy and under-rehearsed Stones cover band -- are back, with 2 upcoming gigs:

October 17th at Villain and Saint in Bethesda, MD
November 13th at Acre 121 in Washington, DC (Paranoid Android's old 'hood)

The Dukes --  a cover band, not a tribute, we don't play dress-up -- will add Midnight Rambler to the set, with all of its challenging tempo changes. Should be a train wreck. We will also play Tell Me simply because an attractive woman asked me about it. Finally, we might attempt Undercover just to irritate people.

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2015 at 10:52am by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Re: DC/MD/VA: The Dukes of Dartford
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 10:25am
Thanks for the heads up.

Will try to make one.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 11:03am
Nanky...maybe i will do a quick overnight if you are into it...plenty of time to plan...

Thanks for the name check Patio!!

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 11:29am
Sounds good to me.

Let's get TomL's input and I am certain the three of us can come up with something fun.

I like parties!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Patio!!

Meant to ask...how was the Besthesda show?!?
Setlist please!!!

Looking good for a visit back to Columbia Heights for me!!
FRIDAY THE 13th!!!!

Nanky???
TomL????

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

ain't dry

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Great -- look forward to meeting! Bethesda was a good time for us, I think the people in attendance also had a good time because of - or despite - our presence. Here's what we played, which is likely what you'll hear:
Set 1 
1. Jumping Jack Flash  2. Street Fighting Man  3. Happy  4. Let's Spend the Night Together  5. 19th Nervous  6. Let It Bleed 7. Whip Comes Down  8. Heartbreaker 9. She’s So Cold 10. Miss You  11. Undercover 12. Bitch 13. Angie 14. Dead Flowers 15. Honky Tonk 16. CYHMK 17. Sympathy   

Set 2
1. Gimme Shelter 2. Paint It, Black 3. 2000 Light Years 4. Stray Cat Blues 5. Wild Horses  6. YCAGWYW 7. Midnight Rambler  8. Under My Thumb 9. Torn & Frayed 10. Waiting on a Friend 11. Beast of Burden 12. I Got the Blues 13. Live with Me 14. Satisfaction 15. As Tears Go By 

Midnight Rambler & Undercover (!!) are new to the set as well as Angie, which we've arranged similar to, if you've heard it, the Beta Hector version that appeared on a Mojo Magazine compilation a couple of years ago. See you on FRIDAY THE 13th! PM me if you have questions, concerns, complaints, money, etc.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2015 at 9:20pm by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 8:33pm
All this talk about South America...let's not forget this show in Northwest DC!!!

Gonna bolt out of work early Friday and get on up...to my old neighborhood and check out these cats...anyone else?

Nanky???
TomL???
Any Shidoobee trollers????
(have you posted this on Shidoobee??)

Patio...What time will you hit the stage? I wanna plan my disco nap and have a nice dinner before I get in there...and no...dinner wont be anywhere near that corner...but it will be a few blocks away...

ps...Undercover is one of my favorite Stones songs and albums...
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2015 at 8:36pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 4:55pm
Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend.

Dammit.

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

ain't dry

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 6:32pm
P.A. we're on at 10:00 pm -- plenty of time for you to re-energize. $5 Cover. There will be either 7 or 70 people there -- I have no idea.

I'm a one-trick pony and only post here -- Rocks Off has been my 'Drudge Report' Stones information clearing house since last century. If Stones information is important enough, I know it'll make its way here.

See you and anyone else you drag to your old neighborhood this Friday!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 7:53pm
I posted for you in Shidoobee:

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/topic/38054#.VkFNNL-7CzQ

BTW...which one is you in the band pic?

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

ain't dry

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2015 at 9:34pm
Thanks for the Shidoobee post!

I'm the nerd in glasses . . .I URGE you to LISTEN to a few songs we recorded while rehearsing last June before committing: https://www.reverbnation.com/thedukesofdartford 

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2015 at 10:03pm by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 2:40pm
patioaintdry wrote on Sep 21st, 2015 at 10:21am:
DC/MD/VA Residents: The Dukes of Dartford -- a sloppy and under-rehearsed Stones cover band -- are back, with 2 upcoming gigs:

October 17th at Villain and Saint in Bethesda, MD
November 13th at Acre 121 in Washington, DC (Paranoid Android's old 'hood)

The Dukes --  a cover band, not a tribute, we don't play dress-up -- will add Midnight Rambler to the set, with all of its challenging tempo changes. Should be a train wreck. We will also play Tell Me simply because an attractive woman asked me about it. Finally, we might attempt Undercover just to irritate people.

No offence intended here Patio but, why do you guys use photo's of the Stones on your flyers? Why not have photo's of yourselves? Increase your profile like. Anyway; although I'm not a tribute band fan, I wish you luck. Have a blast. Undercover is sooooooooo hard to do, like Hey Negrita.

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

ain't dry

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2015 at 3:39pm
No offense taken and it's a legitimate question.

Picking an obvious song title, well known lyric, or working 'Rolling' or 'Stones', or another derivative seemed to us to be too . . . derivative for a band name. And it also may have led people to believe we are a costumed tribute band -- which we are definitely not.

Just a bit of thought went into creation of the Dukes name other than being relatively assured passionate Stones fans on this and other fan pages and elsewhere would 'get it' -- these are the people we play for. Other much less obsessive /maniacal fans also seem to enjoy our effort. Having said that, 'The Dukes of Dartford' doesn't really resonate with people to equate it as a Stones cover band. The small photo of our group in the upper right of the Duke logo along with "Stones covered . . ." doesn't quite get it done either. So all of this, coupled with large, somewhat 'unique to the rest of the world' amusing photos of the band attempt to get the message across. Forgive the lengthy answer, I've never been previously asked.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2015 at 4:03pm by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2015 at 2:53pm
[b][/b]patioaintdry wrote on Nov 10th, 2015 at 3:39pm:
No offense taken and it's a legitimate question.

Picking an obvious song title, well known lyric, or working 'Rolling' or 'Stones', or another derivative seemed to us to be too . . . derivative for a band name. And it also may have led people to believe we are a costumed tribute band -- which we are definitely not.

Just a bit of thought went into creation of the Dukes name other than being relatively assured passionate Stones fans on this and other fan pages and elsewhere would 'get it' -- these are the people we play for. Other much less obsessive /maniacal fans also seem to enjoy our effort. Having said that, 'The Dukes of Dartford' doesn't really resonate with people to equate it as a Stones cover band. The small photo of our group in the upper right of the Duke logo along with "Stones covered . . ." doesn't quite get it done either. So all of this, coupled with large, somewhat 'unique to the rest of the world' amusing photos of the band attempt to get the message across. Forgive the lengthy answer, I've never been previously asked.
Point taken Patio. I used to front a local group which constantly changed it's fucking name because the others were all morons. I called it Pandamonyum, Why the incorrect spelling? Well, doubtless a pandemonium of some sort existed elsewhere. You know as in Milton, Hell's capitol. I got accused of "Too much fucking Rolling Stones". Can u believe that? Arseholes. Have u ever tried Hey Negrita?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 11:24pm
I was tempted to do a song by song setlist post....but Patio's band is ALOT of fun...and can play MISS YOU better than the Stones <  insert joke here > ..Thank you Jim for a great night!!!

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

ain't dry

Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 1:29am
PA it was great to meet you and I/We truly appreciate your support and being part of the sparse attendance - we should've tarped some of the empty tables. Thanks too on Miss You, but godammit, you were privileged to experience Undercover, dedicated to you, in all of its 3, nearly 4 chord glory . . .and I hope you stayed to hear the ramshackle Midnight Rambler - what a blissful mess. To those who didn't attend, you missed nothing, except PA requesting Let Me Go and I believe shouting out "Paint It Black, You Devil."
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2015 at 1:32am by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)