Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stones to start recording an album at the end of the year ....from Ian (Read 13,143 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Stones to start recording an album at the end of the year ....from Ian
Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 9:34am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
An Even Bigger Bang!

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 4:55pm
still not trending.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:54pm
Some Guy wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 4:55pm:
still not trending.

FUCK YOU SOME GUY!!

WE ARE TRENDY!!!

You rock!Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk Let's go get drunk You rock!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 9:37pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:54pm:
still not trending.

FUCK YOU SOME GUY!!

WE ARE TRENDY!!!

News travels slow in Atlanta.  Interesting stuff Ronnie!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #29 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:52am
It should be easy for them to squeeze out one more if they put their minds to it. I'm sure there are lots of unfinished material that they can finish up and package. But maybe MICK is worried about quality and not just do it to do it. He does have some pride and a big ego. If it is not going to be a critically acclaimed success maybe he would rather not take chances with people saying the new album is shit, like so many did with ABB even though it had some great songs on it.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:58am
Lets just sit back and enjoy Keith's current offering. Doubt he has anything new in the can now to bring to the table. Wouldn't be surprised if Mick goes solo again either.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 8:39am
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:54pm:
still not trending.

FUCK YOU SOME GUY!!

WE ARE TRENDY!!!

We made HuffPo today- we're going viral!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rolling-stones-trivia_55afe729e4b08f57d5d35c...

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 8:27pm:
Ok everyone then I tell ya what. There is no strong talk between them about recording an album or going in the studio. In fact... there was never any talk of it at all.... they never mention it.  The reality is they never discuss it. ..There was never any fairly certain plan to do such at the end of the year. They are never are going to go into the studio again. In fact they hate recording albums. They hate the very thought of it and totally dismiss the idea all together.

Mick never talked about it with the rest of the band as Keith said he did.... Keith only said 'end of the year' just for the hell of it.... and the reason Mojo mentions there is a new Stones album on plans both in the title and in the introduction is just to keep some people satisfied for the moment and for the sake of pumping some of us up.

Anything you hear or read about them actually saying they want to record another album or in that they definately talked about it between each-other with a general time indication after Keith does his solo thing is complete horse shit.

The truth is there is absolutely no interest from any of them in recording another album what-so-ever .. there never was.. and there is never going to be. 

Hows that? Make sense? Sound good..?

Lighten up Francis.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:45pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:52am:
It should be easy for them to squeeze out one more if they put their minds to it. I'm sure there are lots of unfinished material that they can finish up and package. But maybe MICK is worried about quality and not just do it to do it. He does have some pride and a big ego. If it is not going to be a critically acclaimed success maybe he would rather not take chances with people saying the new album is shit, like so many did with ABB even though it had some great songs on it.

I doubt critical acclaim is a big deal. Critics have been slagging the Stones off as past it for 40 years. I'd imagine its water of a duck's back by now - and ABB actually got mostly VERY positive reviews, as I recall.  He also did a pretty good job with the new lyrics he put on the deluxe reissues. I doubt he sees himself as being washed up.  He says he still writes regularly. I doubt he'd do that if he didnt think he still 'had it'.

Sales arent an issue. Its The Rolling Stones. Of course it'll sell very well. They're not exactly a cult act.

I really hope they don't just 'finish up unreleased material' and pass it off as a 'new' record. That kind of thing was understandable in the 70s when you had maybe 10-12 months between albums - now you have 10-12 years.

A 'new' studio album consisting largely of 20-30 year old leftovers (or worse) would be the ultimate example of barrel scraping. They're not that desperate and (I hope) neither are we, surely.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:49pm
job wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:17pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 8:27pm:
Ok everyone then I tell ya what. There is no strong talk between them about recording an album or going in the studio. In fact... there was never any talk of it at all.... they never mention it.  The reality is they never discuss it. ..There was never any fairly certain plan to do such at the end of the year. They are never are going to go into the studio again. In fact they hate recording albums. They hate the very thought of it and totally dismiss the idea all together.

Mick never talked about it with the rest of the band as Keith said he did.... Keith only said 'end of the year' just for the hell of it.... and the reason Mojo mentions there is a new Stones album on plans both in the title and in the introduction is just to keep some people satisfied for the moment and for the sake of pumping some of us up.

Anything you hear or read about them actually saying they want to record another album or in that they definately talked about it between each-other with a general time indication after Keith does his solo thing is complete horse shit.

The truth is there is absolutely no interest from any of them in recording another album what-so-ever .. there never was.. and there is never going to be. 

Hows that? Make sense? Sound good..?

Lighten up Francis.

... ... ...
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:42pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:45pm:

I doubt critical acclaim is a big deal. Critics have been slagging the Stones off as past it for 40 years. I'd imagine its water of a duck's back by now - and ABB actually got mostly VERY positive reviews, as I recall.  He also did a pretty good job with the new lyrics he put on the deluxe reissues. I doubt he sees himself as being washed up.  He says he still writes regularly. I doubt he'd do that if he didnt think he still 'had it'.

Sales arent an issue. Its The Rolling Stones. Of course it'll sell very well. They're not exactly a cult act.

I really hope they don't just 'finish up unreleased material' and pass it off as a 'new' record. That kind of thing was understandable in the 70s when you had maybe 10-12 months between albums - now you have 10-12 years.

A 'new' studio album consisting largely of 20-30 year old leftovers (or worse) would be the ultimate example of barrel scraping. They're not that desperate and (I hope) neither are we, surely.

I don't know. It's a pretty nice barrel...it's not a good look to go back 30 years virtually proving you got nothing left now...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:57pm
It is a nice barrel, but its all about perception, as you kinda suggest.

Putting those old songs on deluxe reissues or boxed sets of outtakes (even if it requires a bit of polishing up) - totally logical.  (Give me the key to their archive and I'll even pick them out and save them the trouble  - for free!)

But not as a 'new' album. I've read some people suggesting a Tattoo You-like album with them touching up a few old leftovers. But Tattoo You consisted of basic tracks that were maybe 8-9 years old and in most cases 2-4 years old. They'd recorded about five studio albums in that time frame.

Even if they used leftover songs from their last album (and apparently there werent any, anyway) thats still material thats 10-11 years old at least.

I'd like to think that any band with three songwriters would be capable of having composed a dozen good songs in the last decade.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:58pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:09pm

Their new record will sell about 3-5 million in the states and about 2-4 elesewhere. Nothing HUGE ...but it will sell enough. They are not going to do an album in order to make money ... there is not much in it for them with sales like that... not for a band of their stature and what they command usually.

As well, as was mentioned.... the money is in touring today .. unless you are Taylor Swift or something in which you get a nice chunk of change as well as from your touring as a solo artist from an album that sells 10 million copies. The Stones won't sell as well as that and as well they are a four person act. As with most... the money is in the live shows in todays day and age. For The Stones... that's the way it's been since 1989.

I agree with Gazza.... I will be really let down if they have to dig in the can for a new record. With Exile... Some Girls... and now Sticky Fingers.. how much digging in the can do they want to do over a ten year period??

It is time for something brand spanking new... and something fresh. The 50th thing and all the nostalgia and digging in the can and the re-releases has ran it's course. I am suprised Mick didn't 'insist' on recording a new album before any new tour such as they did this summer with Zip Code (but hey .. I saw the show and gues what.. I sure as hell ain't complainin ...ha!!).

<Time for something fresh, new... and exciting.. an ALL NEW project (album)>

and guess what... I think that's what is going to be on plans here from them to start on come later on this year.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:14pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:46pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 9:34am:
The headline says 'album'

Keith's quote says 'recording' . No mention of the word 'album' at all.

Could be another two songs again pumped out in four days like last time for all we know.

Said it when this was mentioned and debated about 3-4 months ago that in a year's time we'll still be waiting on this 'album'.

So he's making some vague speculation about 'recording' in five months time?

I reckon my prediction for no new Stones album by spring 2016 is pretty safe.  By that timescale he's talking about I would doubt it'd be available by this time next year either

Would love to be wrong though!!! 

They should do this. Regardless of how well they're playing, the nostalgia trip is getting very stale IMO. Time for a shake up

Totally agree Gaz. Keith is always hoping Jagger will get down to composing an album. ALBUM- That's the key word. It's been ten years since A Bigger Bang, and I personally don't think that 1. Jagger can tolerate Keith for more than 15 minutes, unless it's on stage.
2. I just don't think 15 songs, or even 10 songs are in them. Let's face it; They've been doing this for 53 years, ABBang was it, I think anyway.

I think Keith just can't deal with the fact that Jagger has other interests. You're right two , three, or four songs tacked onto the next reissue, that'll be it. I said ten years ago; all this stuff that was tucked away in the vaults would be released as they wound it down. And now we have it.

In just six, or so years look at all the hidden stuff that's been released, I actually get quite a kick out all this vaults stuff and the reissues. I really liked 'Pass The Wine', One More Shot, and I thought 'Doom And Gloom' was a wicked track, I love it.

So, personally; although I know many, many people would love a whole new Stones studio job, I don't think it will happen. We've had a superb run, since 1963 for Christ's Sake! Imagine being a Status Quo fan, the band ending there career by selling out, and actually appearing in an Australian supermarket commercial, PLAYING....CARDBOARD FUCKING GUITARS? 'Down, Down, prices are down.' As Charlie Brown used to say;........GOOD GRIEF! So I say; keep the vaults coming. I can't wait to see what's next. Hope it's Paris, (Le Abbotoirs), 1976. The boot is great, but very blurred.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:50pm
I hope you are right Ian and Gazza. A new album would be a thrill, either scraping the barrel or "all new" because now there is some free time after the tour for them to get to work.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:50pm:
I hope you are right Ian and Gazza. A new album would be a thrill, either scraping the barrel or "all new" because now there is some free time after the tour for them to get to work.   

No offence Miss Bitch but, They really can't get on in confined places such as studios. I mean if someone told the world that I had the tiny todger, I don't think I'd want to spend five minutes on the same continent with them.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #41 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:52pm
No offence Miss Bitch but, They really can't get on in confined places such as studios. I mean if someone told the world that I had the tiny todger, I don't think I'd want to spend five minutes on the same continent with them.  " 

Keith stated that Mick had HUGE " Cojones " ! Word .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #42 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:29pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:09pm:

Their new record will sell about 3-5 million in the states and about 2-4 elesewhere. Nothing HUGE ...but it will sell enough. They are not going to do an album in order to make money ... there is not much in it for them with sales like that... not for a band of their stature and what they command usually.

So you reckon a new Stones album will sell between 5 and 9 million?

Only if, God forbid, they're all killed in a horrible accident on the eve of its release.

As big as Some Girls and Tattoo You then, despite the fact that record sales in general have plummeted by about 70% in the last decade and 'A Bigger Bang' has sold 2.6 million copies in ten years even though they did 147 shows to promote it in front of about four and a half million people?

ABB has barely sold a million copies in the US.  Its a decent amount (if less than it should have been considering how many people saw the shows and how much money the tour generated)

The figures you're suggesting would have them selling records on the same level as Lady GaGa, Taylor Swift and the like. Thats not going to happen on any planet, let alone this one.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #43 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:36pm
Joey wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:52pm:
No offence Miss Bitch but, They really can't get on in confined places such as studios. I mean if someone told the world that I had the tiny todger, I don't think I'd want to spend five minutes on the same continent with them.  " 

Keith stated that Mick had HUGE " Cojones " ! Word .

He did indeed. But he followed that up with "But that doesn't quite fill the hole ; if you what I mean?"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #44 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:42pm
I read the Keith interview in MOJO today - its just out here in the UK.

His exact quote re; a new Stones album is a bit vague re: the timeline, but I doubt they'll start anything in 2015.

Do you think the Stones will record another album and tour again? Its ten years since A Bigger Bang.

In truth, the answer to all that is yes. I think we will. We'll do this year, then go into the studio. I know Mick wants to record again - he blurted it out in a meeting "its about time we went back and recorded". I was like "we're here to talk about a tour, right?". So that will be interesting. End of the year.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #45 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:19pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:42pm:
I read the Keith interview in MOJO today - its just out here in the UK.

His exact quote re; a new Stones album is a bit vague re: the timeline, but I doubt they'll start anything in 2015.

Do you think the Stones will record another album and tour again? Its ten years since A Bigger Bang.

In truth, the answer to all that is yes. I think we will. We'll do this year, then go into the studio. I know Mick wants to record again - he blurted it out in a meeting "its about time we went back and recorded". I was like "we're here to talk about a tour, right?". So that will be interesting. End of the year.

I thought ABB sold 2.7 million in The US only and I figured it sold another couple more world wide. My mistake. I also factored in if they actually promoted the new album more (which I am figuring they will)... so I was figuring 3-5 in the States alone. My mistake.

How is the new album concept or timeline a bit vague??? Is this really all about some timeline that may fluctuate a few months lol? I kinda-sorta- thought this is about IF a new album ...versus whether or not they actually start on it by the end of the year.

I am amazed at how much you cannot conceive they very much plan on recording and are certainly interested in a new album? See Keiths quote .. <In truth... Yes to all of that>. That means ...Y-E-S... not maybe. He was asked about recording an album guy. He said yes.... End of the year to start that ..and bru ..thats what he says for now. It's not vague at all... its a question with a direct answer. Not saying its set in stone.. (no pun) .. but thats the objective and those are the plans Lol ... yikes.

They ARE going to record another album and yes they are interested in it and yes they spoke about it and yes that is supposedly in the cards. Pretty open and shut case. Who cares if they start in December or Febuary.. the point is there are plans for starting to record / work on another album between them within the next what... say 5 - 7 months and it should be out next year some time (probably fall).

That's really the TBL (the bottum line)...here ...not whether they actually get to recording or working on it by the end of the year or miss it by a month or two lol? The point is simply this ... a new Stones album is on plans to most likely come out out next year some time it's looking like. That's whats its looking like ..  Thats the point here.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:43pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Jesus wept. Pedantic, much?

How is it vague?

He says 'yes' - then in the next sentence he says 'I think we will'

He says 'we'll do this year, then go into the studio' (meaning 'after 2015')  and then ends with 'end of the year'

Intent, but with a vague timeline.

'who cares when they start'? Only you, it would appear.  I've little interest in splitting hairs in July 2015 about something which I wont be able to hear for at least a year.

"thats what he says for now it's not vague at all... its a question with a direct answer. Not saying its set in stone.."

You dont see the contradiction in what youve just said - and then you're being obsessive about my use of the word 'vague' ?

And who's this 'guy' , anyway ?

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:39pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:48pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:37pm:

How is it vague?

He says 'we'll do this year, then go into the studio' (meaning 'after 2015')  and then ends with 'end of the year'

'who cares when they start'? Only you, it would appear.  I've little interest in splitting hairs in July 2015 about something which I wont be able to hear for at least a year.

"thats what he says for now it's not vague at all... its a question with a direct answer. Not saying its set in stone.."

You dont see the contradiction in what youve just said - and then you're being obsessive about my use of the word 'vague' ?

I thought you were refferring that the point was vague on whether they will actually do another album lol (I was gonna SAY). My bad.

Yes his time-line is a bit spotty.. a little contradictive... but the point is this...and it appears / reads sort of like this. They plan on finishing the tour... Keith plans on his solo album thing and by end of this year those things should be wrapped up and then they plan on starting a new album ...that is how it reads (or early in the next they plan on working on a new album is also a possibility Id say).

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #48 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:52pm
I'd like to add something but it seems every angle of speculation has been covered. Any new album won't sell shit because no one buys anymore. We'd like to believe they have one last creative "give a shit" in them but it's a very long shot at best they bother. That I'll bet on. Best scenario? Keith's new stuff receives critical acclaim and we love the tunes. Stones are done recording (ooops I just speculated)

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 6:14pm
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:48pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:37pm:

How is it vague?

I thought you were refferring that the point was vague on whether they will actually do another album lol (I was gonna SAY). My bad.

Yes his time-line is a bit spotty.. a little contradictive... but the point is this...and it appears / reads sort of like this. They plan on finishing the tour... Keith plans on his solo album thing and by end of this year those things should be wrapped up and then they plan on starting a new album ...that is how it reads (or early in the next they plan on working on a new album is also a possibility Id say).

Plan, yes.  Certainly agree on that.  Hopefully they'll still feel the same way in six months time.

Although with South America now likely to be February-March 2016 (unless those plans get shelved again), any timelines are very much subject to change.

And a tour leg will always be prioritised over plans to make a record, I would guess.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)