Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guy buys Lennon's lost Gibson for $175 at a garage sale..... (Read 934 times)
Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Guy buys Lennon's lost Gibson for $175 at a garage sale.....
Jul 22nd, 2015 at 11:54pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Is this true??

No effin' way! The fate of Lennon's lost Gibson has been talked about over many a flat beer at various Beatle tribute gigs, I can assure you.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/04/us-music-lennon-guitar-idUSKBN0OK2LE20...
----------

Lifestyle | Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:15pm EDT Related: ENTERTAINMENT, PEOPLE
John Lennon's long lost Gibson guitar up for sale
LOS ANGELES

A rare, once-lost 1962 guitar belonging to former Beatles member John Lennon will go up for auction this year and could break a record, Julien's Auctions said on Thursday.

The jumbo J-160E Gibson Acoustic guitar, purchased by Lennon in Liverpool, is expected to fetch between $600,000 and $800,000 when it goes on sale on Nov. 6 at an auction of rock'n'roll memorabilia in Beverly Hills.

Darren Julien, owner of Julien's Auctions, called the guitar "one of biggest finds in music history," and said its sale could top the $965,000 auction record set in 2013 for an electric guitar owned by Bob Dylan.

"John Lennon items don't come up very often because a lot of people keep them. This was one of his favorite guitars, he talked about wishing he still had it," Julien said.

Lennon died on Dec. 8, 1980, after he was shot by a fan in New York City.

His Gibson guitar went missing in 1963 during the Beatles' Finsbury Park Christmas Show, and turned up 50 years later, after it was purchased by a man named John McCaw in a U.S. second-hand goods shop.

Its authenticity was verified by Andy Babiuk, who has written about musical equipment used by the Beatles, by matching the guitar's serial number, wood grain and scratches to photographs and videos of Lennon playing the instrument.

Babiuk said Lennon used the guitar to record the Beatles hit single "Love Me Do," and played it in live shows and writing sessions.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2015 at 1:49pm by Unholy Trinity »  

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: Guy buys Lennon's lost Gibson for $175 at a garage sale.....
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Finsbury Park is in London so this guitar traveled to the US and ended up in a second hand store in Los Angeles that specializes in celebrity items. That guitar has traveled long distance and I wonder who will buy it at the auction and where it will end up next!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)