Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Keith announces new Winos single (July 17) and album & documentary (Sept 18) (Read 69,808 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Re: Keith announces new Winos single (July 17) and album (Sept 18)
Reply #50 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 8:43pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 2:07pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 13th, 2015 at 10:05pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 7:10pm:
Finally!! (I am still happy about it).

Curious how it holds up... Wonder how Keiths writing chops are now-a-dayz. Is he 'Producing' it with anyone? Is Jordan co-producing it or anything on it?

At any rate.. I will be purchasing it as soon as it's available.

Ian

It tells you in the article.

I'm very pleased he's releasing it. New music is always very welcome and its exciting news.

I think however that its worth remembering that Main Offender was 23 years ago, and its not as if this is a follow up. Maybe a lot to ask to expect a record as good as that and Talk is Cheap. A lot has happened since the early 90's.

I didn't see it in the article... and I rely on what I miss in these tidbits to be fully explained to me by you ... so out with it .. ..

Anyway, I know I have been a naysayer of "said album" and I honestly think my point held a lot of water every bit as much as the release of this thing. It was a four year friggin album ...

In addition, and as well not to split hairs but I also disagree with this being a "Wino's" release. It isn't.... though a few of them play and help out all over the record it is not an "Expensive Wino's" band album. It is a Keith Richard's solo effort....(just sayin).

At any rate...I thought it would be a December (around the holidays) release (...IF it came out at all).

Glad it is finally coming out... a little long winded (or behind schedule ...then again...what friggin schedule... the four year schedule bahahahah ...)  which ever you wanna call it.. but still I must admit I am anxious to purchase it.

Ian

Huh? How could you miss it? There's about two paragraphs in a short article - reposted as the first post in this thread - telling you who produced it and who played on it. And its a Winos album, judging by that personnel.

Well then if that is the case ... hell they are <all> Winos albums right?...  This is <not> a 'Keith Richards and The Expensive Winos' release ...it is an "official" Keith Richards solo album.

Even unofficially ... it isn't like we know at least some or all of The Winos played on every single track... Sure...they helped out all over the album ...but they are playing on a Keith Richards solo album ... along with Nora Jones... Bobby Keyes... Aaron Neville ... Waddy Watchel ... Larry Cambell ... Fowler ... etc. etc... ...and who knows who else. They are certainly the main contributors besides Keith it would seem .. BUt it is not an Expensive Winos release... because they are there playing on and supporting his solo record with many others... not going into it as a band effort. 

As well .. I somehow missed the start of the paragraph stating that Keith and Jordan produced the album.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #51 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:13pm
It's growing on me.  Strange how early 90s it sounds.

Anyway, Richards electric guitar in this year of our Lord 2015 (or at least 2002), he always provides.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

TeddyB
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #52 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 1:57am
sirmoonie wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:13pm:
It's growing on me.  Strange how early 90s it sounds.

Anyway, Richards electric guitar in this year of our Lord 2015 (or at least 2002), he always provides.

The KR recording is all redone from the 2002 Stones demo and has a bit different feel.  Gazza, the original working title of the song was Just Because, and you can hear Keith start at least one verse with that, so that must of been part of the "bones" he presented.  Always liked the song best of that set of songs they didn't pursue.  With Mick's vocalizing it sounded a bit more Hang Fire, or like one of the country oriented tracks on the Some Girls deluxe. 

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #53 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:26am
Yo Teddy! Good to see you here, mate! It's me, Muppet Hi Fi from IMCT.

Pay attention to this man, people. Along with Gazza, there's not many people on the Internets who have a deeper love and understanding of the fine art form known as Rock n' Roll Music (special shout outs to Marky Dread and Heston too).

Oh yeah, I really dig "Trouble". Funky little number I reckon. Very nice vocal as well.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

TeddyB
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #54 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:40am
Thanks Muppet.  You're in all the good spots. Gazza and I go back to IORR, which is very rough sledding these days. I'd bet Paul Westerberg would dig Troublr.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #55 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:54am
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 8:43pm:

Curious how it holds up... Wonder how Keiths writing chops are now-a-dayz. Is he 'Producing' it with anyone? Is Jordan co-producing it or anything on it?

Ian

I'm very pleased he's releasing it. New music is always very welcome and its exciting news.

I think however that its worth remembering that Main Offender was 23 years ago, and its not as if this is a follow up. Maybe a lot to ask to expect a record as good as that and Talk is Cheap. A lot has happened since the early 90's.

I didn't see it in the article... and I rely on what I miss in these tidbits to be fully explained to me by you ... so out with it .. ..

Anyway, I know I have been a naysayer of "said album" and I honestly think my point held a lot of water every bit as much as the release of this thing. It was a four year friggin album ...

In addition, and as well not to split hairs but I also disagree with this being a "Wino's" release. It isn't.... though a few of them play and help out all over the record it is not an "Expensive Wino's" band album. It is a Keith Richard's solo effort....(just sayin).

At any rate...I thought it would be a December (around the holidays) release (...IF it came out at all).

Glad it is finally coming out... a little long winded (or behind schedule ...then again...what friggin schedule... the four year schedule bahahahah ...)  which ever you wanna call it.. but still I must admit I am anxious to purchase it.

Ian

Huh? How could you miss it? There's about two paragraphs in a short article - reposted as the first post in this thread - telling you who produced it and who played on it. And its a Winos album, judging by that personnel.

Well then if that is the case ... hell they are <all> Winos albums right?...  This is <not> a 'Keith Richards and The Expensive Winos' release ...it is an "official" Keith Richards solo album.

Even unofficially ... it isn't like we know at least some or all of The Winos played on every single track... Sure...they helped out all over the album ...but they are playing on a Keith Richards solo album ... along with Nora Jones... Bobby Keyes... Aaron Neville ... Waddy Watchel ... Larry Cambell ... Fowler ... etc. etc... ...and who knows who else. They are certainly the main contributors besides Keith it would seem .. BUt it is not an Expensive Winos release... because they are there playing on and supporting his solo record with many others... not going into it as a band effort. 

As well .. I somehow missed the start of the paragraph stating that Keith and Jordan produced the album.

Ian

There have been additional guests on every previous Winos album. Just like there have been additional guests on every Stones album. I don't see how this is so hard to grasp.

It's credited as a Keith solo album because the record deal is in HIS name.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #56 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:55am
Oh yeah, it does sound kind of like something Paul would lay down in a hurry in his basement, i.e. 'Stereo/Mono', 'Come Feel Me Tremble', 'Folker', '49 Minutes', etc.

I love Steve Jordan's clattering drum pattern on this (he's so freakin' great, probably even with Clapton and John Mayer!).
Here's hoping this one lives up to the two great Wino's albums (sounds like it will based on Trouble. Took him bloody long enough!).

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #57 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:57am
TeddyB wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:40am:
Thanks Muppet.  You're in all the good spots. Gazza and I go back to IORR, which is very rough sledding these days. I'd bet Paul Westerberg would dig Troublr.

Great to see you here.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #58 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 4:05am
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:57am:

Great to see you here.

It really is, G. Teddy's a wealth of insight, (factual) information, and entertainment to match your own skills (sorry to be gushing, dudes, but it's cool as hell to have both you cats on the same board - "all your real rock n' roll info needs here on one easily accessible site!").

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #59 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:18am
I'm not worthy.

What's this  IMCT ? Is  it  some place I should know about?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #60 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:38am
What a great song! Guitars, guitars and more guitars. Splendid.

Sign me up.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #61 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 8:50am
The new track is worthy of all the praise I intend to heap on it over the coming years...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #62 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 9:34am
Wingless Angels is not a solo record. He produced it and added some vocals etc. If that is what it takes to be considered a solo record, the album he did for Aaron Neville is really a Keef album. keef produced it, added vocals AND guitars.

Wingless Angels is not a solo record.

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

Reply #63 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 10:30am
Trouble has bits of the Can't You Hear Me Knocking/Will But You Won't descending guitar pattern.  It sounds good! -- I'll take it and looking forward to hearing the entire album.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #64 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 1:35pm
The version on youtube seems to be the album version (with an extra verse) and clocks in at 4:17 - the one premiered the other day appears to be a radio edit (3:17).

Awful sound quality on Keith's youtube vevo channel. Its quite distorted for some reason.  The official download sounds a lot better.

A member of the Steve Hoffmann forum called mretrain posted this earlier :

Heard it all last night - there are country songs, electric blues, an acoustic blues, some things like Trouble (which is the least good of those IMO but the most Stones-like so makes sense as first single) and a bit of reggae.

It's very much Keith World - you have to go to it rather than it come to you, but once you're there it's pretty great...

And a pic of the man himself at the mastering session for the album at Sterling Sound, with the original vinyl acetate (I presume this is the same photo  Steel Wheels was talking about)

... ... ...
IP Logged

TeddyB
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #65 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:03pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:18am:
I'm not worthy.

If Music Could Talk.  The venerable Clash-orientated message board, where I've got unfair advantage.  Its not what it used to be, though there are still some great posters.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #66 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:45pm
It's really really growing on me. The louder the better. Smiley

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #67 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 4:12pm
TeddyB wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:03pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:18am:
I'm not worthy.

If Music Could Talk.  The venerable Clash-orientated message board, where I've got unfair advantage.  Its not what it used to be, though there are still some great posters.

Definitely somewhere I should know about, then. Cheers.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #68 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:49pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 4:05am:
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:57am:

Great to see you here.

It really is, G. Teddy's a wealth of insight, (factual) information, and entertainment to match your own skills (sorry to be gushing, dudes, but it's cool as hell to have both you cats on the same board - "all your real rock n' roll info needs here on one easily accessible site!").

I remember Teddy from my IORR days. One of the few people  to provide good, intelligent, accurate info. Always paid attention to his posts. Welcome Teddy.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #69 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 6:45am
I road tested the track last night. 11PM, windows down, cruising on my way home.

Excellent song.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #70 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 12:10am
I loved it on first listen, but it's tapered a lot since then. The problem with this type of thing for me is that Keith appears to be recycling riffs. His first two records are absolute jewels and there is not a track on either one of those records that I don't like apart from Words of Wonder.

For all the criticism that Mick gets, he tries to put out something new and push himself creatively. I still take Keith's first two records over Mick's but when you don't put out anything on the solo front for over 20 years, it gets a little rusty. There is nothing that is vibrant about this. It sounds like Keith trying to sound like Keith. It also appears that Charley Drayton is not on this album which, if true, is also disappointing. He is an amazing drummer and equally good on the bass. I hope the rest of the album is better.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #71 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 8:36am
The Wick wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 12:10am:
I loved it on first listen, but it's tapered a lot since then. The problem with this type of thing for me is that Keith appears to be recycling riffs. His first two records are absolute jewels and there is not a track on either one of those records that I don't like apart from Words of Wonder.

For all the criticism that Mick gets, he tries to put out something new and push himself creatively. I still take Keith's first two records over Mick's but when you don't put out anything on the solo front for over 20 years, it gets a little rusty. There is nothing that is vibrant about this. It sounds like Keith trying to sound like Keith. It also appears that Charley Drayton is not on this album which, if true, is also disappointing. He is an amazing drummer and equally good on the bass. I hope the rest of the album is better.

Oddly enough thats possibly my favourite of the lot (along with 'Hate It When You Leave').  Seems most people seem to prefer Talk is Cheap, but I've always thought Main Offender is the best of any Stones solo albums. Played both of them back to back the other day and it's only enhanced my opinion

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #72 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 2:59pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 8:36am:
The Wick wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 12:10am:

Oddly enough thats possibly my favourite of the lot (along with 'Hate It When You Leave').  Seems most people seem to prefer Talk is Cheap, but I've always thought Main Offender is the best of any Stones solo albums. Played both of them back to back the other day and it's only enhanced my opinion

I agree about 'Main Offender'. Though the songs are uniformly wonderful on both albums, there's a certain sheen and near glossiness to 'Talk Is Cheap', which is very appropriate for a debut album, but Main Offender sounds more live in the studio, replete with the odd almost-missed chord or other technical imperfection. And the mix is deeper, murkier, and richer than Talk Is Cheap; there's a lot to be uncovered there, sorta like Exile. And "999" is a true beast, all one and a half chords of it; (one of my bands used to play it, and we could never figure out if that backing vocal chant was 'leave her, leave her' or what. Very ominous song and soundscape). Oh, and I love Words of Wonder too.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #73 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 4:55pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 3:54am:
Ian Billen wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 8:43pm:

Ian

Ian

Ian

There have been additional guests on every previous Winos album. Just like there have been additional guests on every Stones album. I don't see how this is so hard to grasp.

It's credited as a Keith solo album because the record deal is in HIS name.

Sure there have been guests on most (almost all...if I'm not mistaken) Stones albums... and sure all the other musicians on Keith's solo records.

What I am saying is this... this threads title is labling this as a Winos single ... well technically it's not. It is a single from Keith Richards.

Now if The Winos are playing on every track well then I'd have to say you're certainly right... but who knows? Jordan may not even play drums on all the album? There may be songs with no Wino members what-so-ever. It would be pretty hard to call it an unoffical Winos record if that is the case. I am sure they are major contributors but I am not convinced all members are there on every track ... or that there are even winos on every song. If that's the case.. it's still primarily a KR solo album with the Winos involved is more to the point.

Let's wait and see before telling everyone it's just a Winos Record again ... but with a KR solo tag lol geez lol.

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #74 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 5:21pm
Ian, mate - both KR and the Wino's albums were listed/marketed as "Keith Richards solo albums". (other than the live Palladium album).

Keith has said that Steve Jordan was involved with production, and I'm fairly certain that's he on the drums on "Trouble" (I'm a drummer and a big fan of Steve's work).

I don't know who's on bass - could be Charley, could be Steve, could be Keith or Waddy or nearly anyone.

Not sure what your point is here; as I've said before: Springsteen studio albums that feature the E Street Band are still credited to/market as "Bruce Springsteen" albums, and only a couple live ones (and DVD's) have been listed as "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band". Similar situation to many Neil Young albums that feature Crazy Horse as the band.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)