Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Keith announces new Winos single (July 17) and album & documentary (Sept 18) (Read 69,807 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Keith announces new Winos single (July 17) and album & documentary (Sept 18)
Reply #225 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 3:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
patioaintdry wrote on Sep 15th, 2015 at 2:46pm:
Wall Street Journal interview with Keith & Steve Jordan. Good read with new insight from Jordan, including his relationship with Charlie Watts. Read it before it goes behind the WSJ paywall! http://www.wsj.com/articles/keith-richards-and-the-other-mick-1442329406

Thanks, but never read the word "Mister" so damn many times in the same article.  Oh no! not you again

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Keith announces new Winos single (July 17) and album & documentary (Sept 18)
Reply #226 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 3:28pm
Nothing like learning something you didn't know before.

And I'm sure their "One More Shot" *is* much better!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #227 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Keith Richards Is a Music Nerd in Rock Star Clothing

SEPTEMBER 15, 2015 5:38 PM
by JULIA FELSENTHAL
Photo: Courtesy of Netflix

When Rolling Stones guitarist and forever bad boy Keith Richards released his doorstopper of a memoir, Life, in late 2010, critics and fans alike rejoiced. In the New York Times, Michiko Kakutani gushed, calling it at turns “electrifying,” “high def,” “intimate,” and “moving.”

“Die-hard Stones fans, of course, will pore over the detailed discussions of how songs like ‘Ruby Tuesday’ and ‘Gimme Shelter’ came to be written, the birthing process of some of Mr. Richards’s classic guitar riffs, and the collaborative dynamic between him and Mr. Jagger,” Kakutani wrote. “But the book will also dazzle the uninitiated, who thought they had only a casual interest in the Stones.”

The same cannot quite be said for Morgan Neville’s new Netflix documentary, Keith Richards: Under the Influence, available to stream on Friday. Neville is not at all concerned with the more salacious parts of Richards’s story. His subject is not Keith the carouser, the drug addict, the Lothario. He doesn’t care about the lifelong frenemy-ship between Keith and Mick Jagger. He doesn’t even really care about Keith the rock star. Instead, he’d like us to meet Keith Richards the music nerd.

Early on in the film, Richards tells the camera, “I ain’t a pop star no more. And I don’t wanna be!” Neville’s mission, it feels, is to remind us that Richards is a serious student of music, and one of its most gifted practitioners. As Tom Waits says: “He’s like a London cabbie who has the knowledge. He has that in music.” As the opening scenes illustrate: Give Richards some vinyl, a cigarette, and three fingers of booze and you’ve got yourself a happy man.

Though linear biography doesn’t much factor into Neville’s film, we do learn about Richards’s musical education: his mother, a “beautiful music freak” with a knack for finding the best thing on the radio at any given moment; his grandfather, who left guitars lying around in hopes that they would catch Richards’s eye and primed his fingers for blues licks by forcing him to master Spanish malagueña exercises. Richards and Jagger, we’re reminded, formed the Stones after encountering each other on the train to art school; Richards noticed Jagger because Jagger had a Chuck Berry album tucked under his arm. Later, Jagger shared a Muddy Waters record with Richards and blew his young mind.

Photo: Courtesy of Netflix

Mostly, though, we see present-day Richards messing around on the guitar, bass, and piano in the studio in New York City with his producer and drummer Steve Jordan and a few other lucky musicians as they lay down tracks for Crosseyed Heart, Richards’s first solo album in 23 years, which also drops on Friday. We see him traveling to Chicago to shoot pool and drink corn whiskey with Buddy Guy, with whom he reminisces about iconic Chicago bluesmen like Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf. He visits Waters’s red-brick row house and remembers a night when he basically got too blitzed to remember much. (He does recall falling asleep at Waters’s house and waking up at Howlin’ Wolf’s.) We follow him to Nashville to visit the Ryman Auditorium, home of the Grand Ole Opry until 1974, so he can opine about Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and Gram Parsons, and pay homage to their hard-partying ways. (“The reality of country music on the road is something. Rock ’n’ roll has nothing on those guys!”)

The nearest Neville goes toward general audience-pandering is when he splices in archival footage: the young, mop-topped Stones cavorting poolside; in the studio trying to find the right tempo for “Sympathy for the Devil”; Richards bouncing around a living room shirtless in Jamaica. But the director gives equal attention to topics that only gearheads and Stones superfans will appreciate: a tour, say, of Richards’s impressive guitar collection by his tech, Pierre De Beauport, or a description of how Richards used a tape machine as a pickup to electrify and distort the acoustic guitar on “Street Fighting Man.”

Influence never feels totally comfortable in its documentary skin. As an entry into that genre, it’s got nothing on Neville’s last film, his Oscar-winning look at the world of backup singers, 20 Feet From Stardom. Perhaps that’s because the Richards doc, as Billboard reported, began as a promotional piece for Richards’s new album. Neville, in fact, described the film to Billboard as “a scrapbook. . . . This is essentially what it would be like to hang out with Keith and talk about music and life. It’s not a tightly knit story. It’s not a novel.” It also may be that Neville had to skirt territory claimed by another Keith Richards documentary: Johnny Depp’s long-in-development, tentatively titled Happy.

In 20 Feet, the singers’ ambivalence between hanging back and aspiring to the spotlight creates driving narrative tension; Influence doesn’t even dabble in that kind of drama. (It’s worth noting that Mick Jagger, the most notorious and historical source of angst in Richards’s life, appears on camera in 20 Feet but not in Influence.) If you believe the film, life in Keith Richards land these days is pretty damn good. It’s too bad, in fact, that the name Happy may already be taken; it would have been the perfect title for Neville’s film. If you can find no other reason to stream Influence, do it to experience a full catalog of the many ways Keith Richards can laugh. Every anecdote he tells ends with a chortle, a giggle, a sheepish little chuckle. Richards’s voice has an Austin Powers–ish tendency to crumble off and up at the end of each sentence, a little trailing vocal curlicue. If a voice can smile, Keith Richards’s voice is grinning. Appropriately, one of the last shots of the film shows Richards and his wife, Patti Hansen, lounging on expensive-looking lawn furniture, prodding each other playfully, and throwing their heads back in laughter. The very un-rock ’n’ roll subtext? Happy wife. Happy life. “I’ve been blessed,” Richards admits as he plucks away at a ukulele, his skull ring on proud display, his fingers gnarled.

Approach Influence as a documentary and you may be disappointed; approach it as an opportunity to take a dopamine bath in Keith Richards’s brain and it’s practically guaranteed to leave you smiling.
http://www.vogue.com/13336657/keith-richards-under-the-influence/
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2015 at 6:48pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #228 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 4:27am
I just received an email from the KeithRichards.com store stating that the CD and shirt shipped, but they are sending it 7-10 day delivery.

The vinyl record is on backorder, as is the guitar pick set.

What a load of horseshit.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #229 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 6:39am
Planning on lining up at Best Buy about this time tomorrow.

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #230 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 6:52am
Just got mine double LP ,Nice cover and sounding awesome and à cool text from Anthony DeCurtis!!
Great Day. It is nice to have  the  lyrics too !

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2015 at 8:51am by riffkeither »  

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

bobtamp
Rocks Off Regular

Nashua, NH USA
Reply #231 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 12:05pm
To be honest, I wish he had left on the lyrics. I miss the days when you had to decipher them. It was part of the mystique.

IP Logged

bobtamp
Rocks Off Regular

Nashua, NH USA
Reply #232 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 12:21pm
I meant left off the lyrics. LOL

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #233 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Keith's press conference this afternoon at the Toronto Film Festival

Check it out from around 9 minutes in :

... ... ...
IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #234 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 3:12am
Under The Influence is now streaming on Netflix. Watching now. So far, it's excellent.

You rock!

Now I've watched the whole thing. It's very good. I usually judge these type of things by the simple test of if I'd  watch it again. I'll absolutely watch this again. It's great.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2015 at 4:50am by leonid »  

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #235 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 5:44am
What's up with the reporter asking about Black Lives Matter? He completely blew that question off, as well as the very first one about his relationship with Mick.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #236 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 6:25am
Keith will be on this morning's Today Show on NBC being interviewed by Matt Lauer

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #237 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Surprised no one commented on this or posted the video

Here's Keith on the Today Show this morning

http://www.today.com/video/keith-richards-at-71-im-amazed-by-my-sheer-luck-52794...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #238 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 8:02pm
Keith Richards: ‘You don’t stop growing until they shovel the dirt in’

At 71, the Rolling Stones legend is proud of his cartoon image as a rock outlaw. He’s back now with his first solo album in 23 years. But some days, the wildman reputation feels like a ball and chain – he just wants to visit an art gallery or water the garden

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/9/17/14425...

A lot of people say I shouldn’t be here’ … Keith Richards. Photograph: Mark Seliger
Alexis Petridis

There are few things in life that make you feel more pathetic than smoking an e-cigarette in front of Keith Richards. I know this because I’m puffing on one when he sways into his suite at the Savoy in central London, looking, I’m delighted to report, like a caricature of Keith Richards come to life. Smouldering Marlboro in one hand, glass in the other, shirt open, tight black jeans encasing legs so skinny you wonder how they support the rest of him, slight though the rest of him is. For all that people go on about the wrinkles on his face, Richards’ physique is a walking advert for the benefits of a diet he claims is largely composed of “meat and potatoes”, vodka and orange, and nicotine: “No, I don’t work out. No, no, no. I mean, I pick up those things” – he mimes lifting a dumbbell – “and go: ‘God, that’s too heavy.’ Then put them down.”

He shakes hands – his fingers are gnarled with arthritis that he insists doesn’t affect his guitar playing and causes him “absolutely no pain at all … I think it came as a result of hitting things, including my guitar.” And then he looks at my vaping device, and his face clouds with bemusement. “Yeah … Ronnie Wood uses one of those,” he says slowly, in a tone of perplexed horror: you would think he was telling me that Wood wipes his bum with his bare hands. “I’ve tried it,” he adds, pulling a face. It didn’t work for him? “Well, I learned that I clearly don’t smoke cigarettes just because of some kind of … oral fixation,” he laughs.

A lot of journalists have expended a lot of energy trying to convey the extraordinary sound of Richards’ laugh. The internationally accepted onomatopoeic representation seems to be either “huargh huargh huargh” or “wurgh wurgh wurgh”, but neither really captures its full, wheezing, gurgling splendour: the most lyrical attempt might be Caitlin Moran’s suggestion that, when amused, the septuagenarian Rolling Stones guitarist makes a noise that sounds like “a crow stuck up a chimney”. Whatever it sounds like, you hear it a great deal. Almost everything Richards says seems to come accompanied by laughter, but nothing makes him laugh harder than the subject of his announcement that he was going to retire. This apparently happened four years ago: it’s mentioned, almost in passing, by Steve Jordan, the producer of his new solo album, Crosseyed Heart, during Under the Influence, a Netflix documentary made to accompany the album’s release. “Well, I don’t know, I did feel at a bit of a loose end at the end of the whole thing of writing and PRing Life [his autobiography], which was probably 2011,” he says. “I thought, ‘Oh, write a book,’ you know, tell a few stories. I didn’t realise that by the time you come out the other end you feel like you’ve lived your whole life twice. And for my life, that’s pretty tiring and a bit confusing. And also, there was no sign of the Stones coming out of hibernation. So I threw out that statement, it was only once that I said it, just to see the reaction it got, really just to punch the Stones in the back of the head. Oh, I’ll use every ploy in the …” he starts to say, but the rest of the phrase is consumed by laughter.

The first person to take the bait was Jordan, the drummer on both Richards’ previous solo albums, 1988’s Talk is Cheap and 1992’s Main Offender. He suggested the pair go into the studio together to “kick some stuff around” in the way Richards and Charlie Watts used to in the 60s and early 70s, a style of working that produced Jumping Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man and Happy. Crosseyed Heart was the unexpected result. “And then, funnily enough, within a few months, the Stones want to get back on the road again! Yeah, disguised as a 50-year anniversary! So it did its kick. I mean, I really hate to tell lies, but that was one of them.”

Galvanised by Richards’ threat to pension himself off, the Rolling Stones are apparently due to go back into the studio soon to make another album, their first in a decade: “They need to, it’s been too long.” In the interim, he seems to be having a high old time promoting Crosseyed Heart: throughout the summer, he has kept news pages busy giving interviews in which he expressed some fairly robust opinions about Mick Jagger (“such a snob”), Bill Wyman (“a funny old fucker”), hip-hop (“so many words, so little said”), heavy metal (“a great joke”) and the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper (“a load of shit”). Meeting him in person, you do find yourself wondering how many of these pronouncements arrived accompanied by a gale of wheezy laughter that suggested Richards might not be talking in deadly earnest; either way, he is clearly in more conciliatory mood today. He starts telling me about a magazine award he picked up earlier in the week – “for being a legend or an icon or an iPad or something” – opining that such things are “all pointless and redundant”, before correcting himself: “Genuinely, I was very touched.” He is still adamant that most rock bands can’t play properly – “they’ve got that sort of European way of looking at rhythm and usually it’s Prussian, it’s like a march” – and he isn’t terribly enamoured of “damn synthesisers and people playing a drumbeat with their fingers”, but nor is he quite as dismissive of modern music as he sometimes appears: “I’m interested in what people think is progress.”

He says making solo albums gives him a greater understanding of “the perils and difficulties of being a frontman” and how good Jagger is at it, “although it’s sometimes hard to pay Mick a compliment. I don’t know if it’s reticence or whatever, but if you say: ‘Mick, that was fantastic’, it’s: [he adopts a diffident voice] ‘Oh, thanks mate.’” And he is keen to underline that the point he was trying to make about Sgt Pepper was that the Stones’ response, 1967’s Their Satanic Majesties Request, was “far worse”, the era of love and peace not really suiting the Rolling Stones. “God, that year, 1967, the effect of LSD on people’s music and lives. People dropping out and going to India! And the Maharishi …” – his voice trails off and his face forms itself into an expression that suggests Richards ranks the founder of Transcendental Meditation right up there with the inventor of e-cigarettes. “I just saw people losing their thread. That year, we all went off the tracks. It was a kind of mad vacation. When we made Beggars Banquet the next year, I felt like: ‘OK, hols are over, old boy, let’s get back to business.’”

He seems touchingly proud of Crosseyed Heart, despite his continued insistence that he has no interest in being a solo artist: “My whole thing has always been a band, that I’ve got this incredible band that have obviously proved through the years they can hop generations, and, you know, I kind of think that’s enough for one man to ask for and I only do solo stuff when there’s nothing on the horizon, basically, to keep my hand in.”

Nevertheless, Crosseyed Heart is warm and relaxed and possessed of a ramshackle charm noticeably absent from the last Stones album, 2005’s A Bigger Bang: it offers covers of Leadbelly and Gregory Isaacs, and his own Nothing On Me, on which Richards defiantly ruminates about the 1977 Toronto drug bust, for which he narrowly escaped a prison sentence. “It took me a while to realise how much the cops cropped up on this record, on Nothing On Me and Robbed Blind. Then I put it down to the fact that they’d played quite a large part in my life. And, you know,” – he lowers his voice to a mock-conspiratorial murmur – “they did give me quite a bother. They were trying to do me in the early 60s, before there was anything to do me for. I don’t know if I shone out on the street, or trying to creep around the corner. And then later, the Chelsea police force … I’m only happy to say that the guys that did all of that ended up in jail. But it does sort of give you another way of looking at life, when the first thing you do in the morning is look out of the window and go: ‘Yeah, the unmarked car’s there.’ For Christ’s sake, you know what I mean.” Another laugh. “Now, of course, they work for me. I’ve got detectives in New York who take care of me. I suppose it’s the amount of time that’s gone by, and also I think probably because all of their attempts to put me away always ended up in disaster for them. I mean, how many lessons do you need?”

Of course, having “quite a bother” with the police is part of the romantic and enduring myth of Richards as a kind of permanently dissipated musical outlaw and bete noire of polite society, the knife-carrying “living embodiment of rock’n’roll” as one profile breathlessly put it. It is an image that has served him well over the years, inspiring countless guitar-slinging imitators and Johnny Depp’s portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow alike. But at 71, and not so much a bete noire of polite society as a beloved national treasure (“Am I? I think that’s just a matter of hanging around long enough, you know”), he claims to be tiring of it a little. In Under the Influence, he claims his public image is “a ball and chain”, which feels a bit ironic given that the documentary’s very title plays on it. “What? ‘Keef’? With the bottle of bourbon in one hand and a joint in the other? You do drag it around with you. In a way, I’m flattered that old Keef’s become that sort of cartoon figure. I guess what I mean is that when I meet people in an art gallery and I’m talking about Caravaggio with them, they go: ‘Oh, we thought you’d be different.’ Then it feels like a ball and chain.”

Was it an image he deliberately cultivated? “I didn’t mean to. I suppose unwittingly.”

Oh, come off it. In his autobiography, he said he once cleared a hotel room of unwanted guests by getting a gun out and firing it through the floor.

“Well, yeah.” Another laugh, this time a bit sheepish. “In that respect, I see what you mean. Let’s say I didn’t do anything to prevent it. And I suppose it does come in handy every now and again when, whatever the situation is, Keef’s here and there’s already a sense of intimidation or something. But the hotel room … it was one of those days.” He shrugs. “I mean, what do you do when people won’t listen to you? I also knew that the room below was empty,” he adds, lest anyone think that by shooting a gun in a hotel room full of people he was behaving recklessly.

Indeed, so pervasive is Richards’ image that it’s still hard to imagine him doing anything vaguely normal. So what does he do at home, when he’s not being Keef? “I watch the wife garden. She loves to prune things sometimes, and I sort of sit there and go: ‘Oh, you missed a bit.’ I might get the hose out, do a bit of watering. God, I just do what any other old bloke does. I make sure the dogs are fed, I try to live as normally as possible. Actually, I love my old lady, and she can make me do anything. And, hopefully, I’m a pretty good grandad, because they also seem to like me. Fascinating to watch the grandkids, because there’s five of them and they’re all various ages: the oldest is 19, the youngest is two. And so far, they like me. I don’t bribe them. I mean, every grandad has to be indulgent, right, up to a point. But it’s not like ‘Grandad’s arriving’, like I’m Father Christmas or something. I feel privileged, really. I mean, a lot of people say I shouldn’t be here, but I am, and I’m trying to be as good a grandad as mine was to me.”

Yes, he says, he still has ambitions: he would like to make at least one more Stones album, for one thing. “And apart from that, I’d like to live another 25 years or something. I could handle that. I mean, I’m blessed with being sort of physically robust. And what you realise when you get older is, you never stop growing up. You can let other people think you’re grown up, with all this wisdom – ‘Yes, that’s right, my son’ – but, you know, that’s only because they’re younger than you, so you can lay that on them.” Yet another laugh. “Obviously, I have got a bit wiser, I’ve learned a bit more about … pacing myself. But other than that, I don’t think you stop growing until they start shovelling the dirt in.”

Crosseyed Heart is released on Virgin/EMI.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/17/keith-richards-you-dont-stop-growin...

Accompanying review of the album :
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/17/keith-richards-crosseyed-heart-revi...
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2015 at 8:05pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #239 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 8:11pm
A strange, strange album.

The packaging contains many mistakes - misspellings, incorrect dates, grammatical errors and putting lyrics from one song under another.

The music?

Not what I expected. Lots of ballads, mid-tempo sad songs and talking.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #240 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:47pm
Ah...a second listen on a different rig with the effects of a few drinks. It's a mellow record. If Talk is Cheap rocks like a Friday night, and Main Offender is a late Saturday night feel, Crosseyed Heart is Sunday.

Substantial Damage is the Winos wailing away on a wild, youthful groove. I really like it.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #241 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 7:36am
Netflix is not available in Greece  Oh no! not you again

You think a torrent will become available? I find it strange it hasn't surfaced already.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #242 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 9:13am
I keep hoping it will show up on a torrent site, I'm surprised it hasn't yet---but it will sooner or later!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #243 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 9:23am
All I did was got to netflix.com and join. 1st month Free.
Watching Under The Influence now. Blown away. Fucking amazing. I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

Sat morning coffee, Wake and Bake and Keef equals Heaven.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #244 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Nobody bothered watching Keith on Jimmy Fallon last night?

He appeared on a late night TV show on the day that his new album came out for a chat? With no live performance? How disappointing.

Here's the video of the show. Cant see it myself as its only for US viewers

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/keith-richards-emma-roberts-nate-barga...

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #245 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 11:40pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 19th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
Nobody bothered watching Keith on Jimmy Fallon last night?

He appeared on a late night TV show on the day that his new album came out for a chat? With no live performance? How disappointing.

Here's the video of the show. Cant see it myself as its only for US viewers

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/keith-richards-emma-roberts-nate-barga...

When was the last time him or the band did a live performance to promote something. They don't strap it on for less than 5 Mill.  War horses couldn't drag me away Waka Jawaka

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #246 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 1:06am
Here is a snippet from the Fallon show which you can watch outside the us:
http://youtu.be/6gVyjRiFFQg

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #247 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:07am
Acoustic version of Trouble in the doc is awesome.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #248 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 5:55pm
Keith Richards: Under the Influence review: 'Shows the myth, not the man'

KEITH RICHARDS AT THE TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL PREMIERE OF 'UNDER THE INFLUENCE' CREDIT: EPA/WARREN TODA

Ed Power
18 SEPTEMBER 2015 • 6:58PM
Keith Richards is one of rock'n'roll's great mythological beasts – a snaggletoothed outlaw with a lock-up-your-drinks-cabinet leer and an endless supply of amazing Technicolor bandanas. But peel back the wattles and might there be more to the Rolling Stones icon than meets the eye?

It's a fascinating question, and one that Keith Richards: Under The Influence, a new documentary on Netflix, seems only vaguely interested in answering. The film's big goosebumps moment comes when Richards is asked to reflect on his reputation as rock's ultimate ruffian. Suddenly he drops the rakish grin he has dutifully paraded for director Morgan Neville (20 Feet from Stardom, Johnny Cash's America) and speaks from the heart.

"To 99.9 per cent of people, it's Keith Richards smoking a joint, a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand, walking down the road, cursing the fact that the liquor store is closed," he says. "Image is like a ball and chain… when the sun goes down it doesn't disappear."

Keith Richards
CREDIT: MJ KIM
This is an deeply humane and fascinating insight and Neville deserves kudos for coaxing the guitarist into stepping beyond the persona he has inhabited for the past half-century. Alas, it is also one of the few genuine nuggets in a feature happier to celebrate the hoary myths that surround Richards than to delve into the more complex reality.

Framed in moody blues and grays, the film – which coincides with a new Richards solo LP – unspools in endless, stereotype-heavy montages. We see Richards staring from car windows or backstage in random venues across the American South, delivering croaking yarns about run-ins with Chuck Berry and redneck cops. Personal reversals, such as his estrangement from his father and tensions with Mick Jagger, are touched on in frustratingly fleeting fashion.

"That was actually World War Three," Richards recalls of a sticky patch in the late Eighties, when a Mick-Keith schism threatened the future of The Rolling Stones. "In a 50-year relationship doing this stuff of course guys have fights. Brothers have fights. We're brothers. "

You want to know more. However, the director appears oddly uninterested in Richards's travails, and we're soon back to clichéd footage of Keef larking about in the studio, the camera lingering on his crocodile shoe complexion. For all Neville's undoubted slickness and poise as a filmmaker, Under The Influence displays a fundamental lack of curiosity about the cackling enigma at its heart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/keith-richards-under-the-influence-revi...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #249 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Oh great - yet another film portraying Richards as Keef the Pirate.

If you haven't seen this long interview from '89, it's one of his best, and he's actually coherent and thoughtful and comes off as a semi-normal human being.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)