Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What Stones album are you listening to these days? (Read 8,321 times)
gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: What Stones album are you listening to these days?
Reply #50 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 6:19am:
Gypsymofo60...you should check out this thread i started a while back, a couple of months before you joined The Asylum

http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1423007822/24#1

Well I actually joined the asylum as you say, way back in 2001. Just haven't had time to keep up until now. Thanks for link man and best wishes. Mofo

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #51 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:13pm
Yeah! I really think Mick T was the business. What a sensational player he was, and although I love B&B, and Some Girls; I always thought after Taylor left they lost a lot of melody. Ronnie Wood was OK at first, but over the years he became a liability. Some English rock journo' Barnay something said,  after Taylor left, the Stones took the soft option with Wood, it wasn't really a very challenging move. I remember when the change occurred; I knew they'd go for Wood, for better,or worse.

His solo LPs are dismal, he's a liability, and now I just see him as a joke. He really is like some demented cartoon character, his book bored me nearly as much as Bill's roll call of sexual encounters.

Maybe they shoulda taken a risk back in 75/76, and plumbed for a guitarist like Taylor. I have my thoughts on much better candidates but, it would take too long to express. Taylor inspired them to greater heights than anyone. Hands down!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #52 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 7:30pm
I feel the opposite on all counts regarding Ronnie.  I loved his Faces work and guitar on Rod Stewart's early, best LPs.  His own records have been spotty but full of memorable highlights that I wouldn't part with.

If he doesn't challenge them enough, it's because they resist challenge, and I think that's been a downer for him over the years.  Still, he's made many uncredited contributions to their songwriting.  I can't imagine any guitarist lasting longer with them - certainly not the American options they tried on Black and Blue.  And Ronnie's longevity may be an uncredited part of the longevity of the Stones: every lost guitarist would have been an opportunity to break up or go on hiatus.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 7:33pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #53 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 7:42pm
andrews27 wrote on Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:28am:
I sometimes wonder if the Leeds LP boot (which I have owned a version of since about 1980, with "drag photo" cover*) isn't responsible for the first two songs being "lost."  I wonder if the makers didn't squeeze in all that would fit on one LP from a complete recording, leaving off JJF and LWM. 

Do all later boot versions of Leeds descend from the truncated dub tape used to make the original LP?  I don't think I ever heard a version with as much stage dialogue (including the famous "Get your Leeds lungs out") as on the official release, and I have several downloaded versions of Leeds boots.

*"Leed Stones - The Flamin Groupie"

No. The bootleg comes from a BBC radio (mono) broadcast which was aired about 10 weeks after the gig and it only began at the third song.

The first two songs were never broadcast, so they just never circulated. I think some of the improved version bootlegs in recent years came from pre-broadcast source tapes or a soundboard, but it was the same number of songs. I havent compared the various releases but maybe some of the between song chatter was edited out for broadcast?

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)