Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What Stones album are you listening to these days? (Read 8,320 times)
Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Re: What Stones album are you listening to these days?
Reply #25 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 4:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Jul 11th, 2015 at 3:38pm:
Always wondering with this kind of posts..... doesn't anyone play the first albums from the early sixties anymore? Of course the late sixties till the mid seventies was their best period, but still I play the old ones on a regular basis. I love those early albums dearly, but many of you don't seem to care about them. They are rarely mentioned in this kind of posts. Or am I wrong??

I love them as much as the "glory years" stuff.
Been on a big Brian-era jag recently: '64-'67. Damn this band cooked back then. Got Live If You Want it is ferocious. Too bad they couldn't have recorded it better, but what the hell - it smokes.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 5:37pm
I've been listening to disc one of the Singles Years and Goat's Head Soup.

What is never mentioned around here are the SACD releases that came out roughly 10-12 years ago. I bought a SACD player just for them and it was the best audio investment I've ever made.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

a.completeunknown
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 3:58pm
Between the Buttons! (USA version.)

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:20pm
The Best of Mick Jagger and SuperHeavy 
I know I like His Voice.
Please don't leave Me Don't you Go.....

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #29 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 4:55pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Jul 12th, 2015 at 5:37pm:
I've been listening to disc one of the Singles Years and Goat's Head Soup.

What is never mentioned around here are the SACD releases that came out roughly 10-12 years ago. I bought a SACD player just for them and it was the best audio investment I've ever made.

Here, in Australia; you had to be very, very quick. They were hard to get, and they flew out of the one store here that actually temporarily stocked them. I managed to get Beggars, Let It Bleed, and TSMR. Went on for three weeks. Week 4 Friday night, I want TTPD(HITS 2), all gone no more coming.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #30 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 5:18pm
Oh I almost forgot. I wasn't that impressed. Now Blu-Ray is supposed to reproduce what an SACD player produced. Nah! Bullshit! Got ripped. Take Keith's attitude. It's alesson learnt. Much like Quadrophonic in the 70s, a quick death. Dat tape anyone? Now they really were the pants.

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 4:39pm
didn't connect

IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #32 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:15pm
Earlier: Sticky Fingers
Now: Some Girls

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:49pm
Sticky Fingers - songs like Brown Sugar, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile make it Exile caliber.  I probably play Sticky Fingers more than every CD/album I own combined.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #34 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 8:43am
If you listen carefully, Let it Bleed and especially Sticky Fingers are the blueprints for nearly every 1-disc sized Stones album made thereafter, as far as song sequencing goes.  Exception would be the fast side/slow side Tattoo You, something you couldn't repeat in the CD age.

Me, I'm listening to B2B a lot, but I've decided that my favorite Stones is Goats Head Soup, and I say it's my favorite album of all albums just to piss off the haters.  This leaves out a lot of contenders, like Astral Weeks and Joy Division's Closer, and Exile, but its worth it to revive GHS's reputation, which is better than imagined at the release time.  It was also the first current Stones studio album I got as a pre-teen (I already had Hot Rocks and Ya-Ya's).

I remember the great Xmas when I unwrapped Hot Rocks, and how my grandma pitched a fit when my mom bought me Ya-Ya's with two tits on the cover.  (For her sins, she had to hear that album endlessly, at full blast.)  I remember that Al Green's "Call Me" was on the radio when "Angie" broke and I got GHS.  I remember wanting Exile the summer it broke, but somehow not buying it until after I first saw the Stones in 1975, which was the first thing I did after the show.  By that time I had a shitpot of other Stones, and really loved More Hot Rocks.  Then came my bootleg phase....

How about a Stones Album Memories thread?
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015 at 9:01am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #35 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:18pm
Sticky Fingers & Goat's Head Soup.  Both of which I play FAR more than any other Stones album.

And since we are talking memories...I remember my Dad and I being blown away by this new tune on the radio by the Stones called "Time Waits For No One" as we worked on replacing the cam shaft of his 1971 Chevelle Malibu.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:21pm by job »  

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #36 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 6:19pm
andrews27 wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 8:43am:
If you listen carefully, Let it Bleed and especially Sticky Fingers are the blueprints for nearly every 1-disc sized Stones album made thereafter, as far as song sequencing goes.  Exception would be the fast side/slow side Tattoo You, something you couldn't repeat in the CD age.

Me, I'm listening to B2B a lot, but I've decided that my favorite Stones is Goats Head Soup, and I say it's my favorite album of all albums just to piss off the haters.  This leaves out a lot of contenders, like Astral Weeks and Joy Division's Closer, and Exile, but its worth it to revive GHS's reputation, which is better than imagined at the release time.  It was also the first current Stones studio album I got as a pre-teen (I already had Hot Rocks and Ya-Ya's).

I remember the great Xmas when I unwrapped Hot Rocks, and how my grandma pitched a fit when my mom bought me Ya-Ya's with two tits on the cover.  (For her sins, she had to hear that album endlessly, at full blast.)  I remember that Al Green's "Call Me" was on the radio when "Angie" broke and I got GHS.  I remember wanting Exile the summer it broke, but somehow not buying it until after I first saw the Stones in 1975, which was the first thing I did after the show.  By that time I had a shitpot of other Stones, and really loved More Hot Rocks.  Then came my bootleg phase....

Nice post.

And I think Goats Head, along with IORR and Black and Blue, are as strong as the Big Four (BB, LIB, SF and EOMS). So there.

And oddly enough, in Roy Carr's "Illustrated History" book from '76, in his review of GHS he compared it to Al Green saying (roughly) "aside from Al Green, GHS has the deepest grooves in pop music today".

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 6:53pm

Go right ahead.....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 10:16pm

I don't know if GHS is my absolute favourite, but it's right up there amongst my fav's. It's so highly underrated it's ridiculous. What a record! As for a Stones memories thread, st real memory concerns a Friday evening in 1964, I was 3,(believe it or not), I was playing on the floor with some of my Gran's ornaments; sadly she passed away this week aged 2 weeks off 101. Suddenly there was this huge fuss.

Comments like "corrr, 'ave a look at that gob!" " Oh! Gawd! That's revolting!" "That shouldn't be on TV." My father- "Oi Mum, Come an' 'ave a look at this." My Mother and Gran were cooking in the kitchen.

My Gran went nuts. "OH NO!...They're horrible, horrid I tell you. Dirty, scruffy, lay-abouts." The commotion grabbed my attention, I'd heard of and seen the Stones before, and thought to myself, 'Oh! It's just the Stones.But from that moment on; although I would not start buying their records for years to come I was hooked. Whenever they were on TV I'd be glued to the screen, fascinated by their attitude, and image.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #39 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 10:26pm

Great to see someone rates CLOSER by Joy Division so highly. UNKNOWN PLEASURES is also very good. For years a Sydney radio station would run a poll of the top 100 songs of the thirty years between 1960,61 etc, to 1990, 91, 92 etc. LOVE WILL TEAR US APART would constantly top the bill. I love DEAD SOULS.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 12:48am
I've also been listening to Paris 1970,(although the sound quality is not great on that.) And the fabulous Get Yer Leed's Lungs Out. The sound quality on that is the business.

It's amazing that in 1971 they could get a boot to sound as good as Leeds. It is definitely one of my favourite boots pre 1978. Following another recent thread concerning the lack of talk about the early LPs, I think we are all in agreement that for their time and place they were top notch. I think only The Beatles early albums surpassed them, and then only production wise, and those fabulous harmonies between Lennon &$ McCartney.

Or maybe deep down we feel those very early LPs are now a bit dated. Of course we would never admit such sacrilege. As great an album such as AFTERMATH was, apart from a couple of real gems like UNDER MY THUMB, I often feel that around the early 80s it, and certain other LPs of that period often felt the same, dated.

This is why I like Their Satanic Majesties so much. It sort of defies, or transcends it's time. I know a lot of people hate it, and I can understand why, but as a one off, experiment, not to be repeated, or followed up, I think it stands up pretty well. Much better than BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (UK version.) Anyway as far as I am concerned, damn the critics, the jaded writers of the NME, Melody Maker, Rolling Stone, etc. Starting with JJF all the way through to SOME GIRLS, 10 YEARS EVRYTHING THEY DID was either good, or just brilliant. I never listen to just one STONES album at a time, I listen to them  in eras, like 68 to 71, and so on.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #41 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:28am
I sometimes wonder if the Leeds LP boot (which I have owned a version of since about 1980, with "drag photo" cover*) isn't responsible for the first two songs being "lost."  I wonder if the makers didn't squeeze in all that would fit on one LP from a complete recording, leaving off JJF and LWM. 

Do all later boot versions of Leeds descend from the truncated dub tape used to make the original LP?  I don't think I ever heard a version with as much stage dialogue (including the famous "Get your Leeds lungs out") as on the official release, and I have several downloaded versions of Leeds boots.

*"Leed Stones - The Flamin Groupie"
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:38am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #42 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 10:52am
I usually listen the boys on random,
but my main ones are
exile
voodoo

And of course rarities,
I have the limited edition where
they photoshopped Bill out of the picture....

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:29pm
[b][/b]andrews27 wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 8:43am:

That's exactly it! You hit the nail right on the head there. SEQUENCING! That's what makes Sticky Fingers such a great album. Each song segues perfectly into the next. Plus, both side one & side two; pre CD days kicked of with two of their greatest rockers ever. When push comes to shove, although Gimme Shelter is my favourite song and I find it almost impossible to choose a favourite Stones album, I think I would have to back Sticky Fingers. And from my experience, most non Stones die-hards choose Sticky Fingers. It's the pro's who opt for Exile.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:38pm
andrews27 wrote on Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:28am:
I sometimes wonder if the Leeds LP boot (which I have owned a version of since about 1980, with "drag photo" cover*) isn't responsible for the first two songs being "lost."  I wonder if the makers didn't squeeze in all that would fit on one LP from a complete recording, leaving off JJF and LWM. 

Do all later boot versions of Leeds descend from the truncated dub tape used to make the original LP?  I don't think I ever heard a version with as much stage dialogue (including the famous "Get your Leeds lungs out") as on the official release, and I have several downloaded versions of Leeds boots.

*"Leed Stones - The Flamin Groupie"

Yeah! The versions of Leeds, March 1971, or 'GET YOUR LEEDS LUNGS OUT' are all missing the first two tracks you mentioned. That intro does give the LP a disjointed feel at first. But then it seems to just take off. Magic! Maybe there's a better boot somewhere which retained the the proper intro, but I've never come across one yet.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:11pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 7:16pm:
GHS is in the car CD player at all times

I had the honor of listening to GHS in my car with VooDoo a few weeks back.

I love listening to Winter as i drive to work each morning along the back roads...can You Hear the Music as I hit the interstate for 3 miles...then Star Star for the final 2 miles into my parking spot.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:28pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:11pm:
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 7:16pm:
GHS is in the car CD player at all times

I had the honor of listening to GHS in my car with VooDoo a few weeks back.

I love listening to Winter as i drive to work each morning along the back roads...can You Hear the Music as I hit the interstate for 3 miles...then Star Star for the final 2 miles into my parking spot.

Probably THE most underrated song they ever wrote and recorded. I love that song too. GHS is a brilliant LP. I think in Britain it was released just as this mythological love for Exile was beginning, and it got lost in the emergence of Glam rock, Bowie, Bolan, Elton, Slade, Sweet. I remember buying it on vinyl in 78, a few months before Some Girls was Released, I just couldn't stop playing it. But here we were inundated with the (what I refer to as the masked copies), The bet you keep your pussy clean line was deliberately distorted.

The programme editor wouldn't allow us to play Star Star on our FM Rock Features radio show. Imagine distorting the pussy line when the the phrase starfucker, starfucker goes on and on throughout the entire song. Baffled me.

But yes GHS without doubt is a greatly underrated LP, and Winter is such a magical track. With Wild Horses, Let It Loose, and Moonlight Mile it is without doubt one of their real tear-jerkers. You have very good taste.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 6:19am
Gypsymofo60...you should check out this thread i started a while back, a couple of months before you joined The Asylum

http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1423007822/24#1

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 6:21am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

job
Rocks Off Regular

The last of the hard core
troubadours.

Orange County, California
Reply #48 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:56am
Thanks to a very helpful person, I am now listening to the Raleigh Zip Code show.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:23pm
job wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:56am:
Thanks to a very helpful person, I am now listening to the Raleigh Zip Code show.

Do you hear me and TomL screaming when D&G was NOT played?

BTW...got link?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)