Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Rolling Stones announce London exhibition! EXHIBITIONISM (Read 21,574 times)
Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
The Rolling Stones announce London exhibition! EXHIBITIONISM
Jul 1st, 2015 at 7:51am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

The Rolling Stones are staging their first ever major exhibition from April-September 2016! EXHIBITIONISM will take over the whole of London's prestigious Saatchi Gallery, and is the most comprehensive and immersive insight into the band, from their London blues musical heritage in the 60s, to being inspirational modern day cultural icons. Click here to be the first to get tickets in the pre-sale, 9am BST Friday July 3. General on-sale starts 9am BST Friday July 10.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: The Rolling Stones announce London exhibition! EXHIBITIONISM
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:21am

There's even VIP pricing for a Stones exhibition FFs.

You couldn't make that up!

Tickets on sale July 10. Exhibit runs from April to October 2016 in London

Then it's planned to visit 11 'global cities' afterwards for a period of four years.

The Stones have 'done a Bowie' for the second time this week. If this trend continues maybe the next thing will be a 50-song three disc or two disc greatest hits release with a couple of new songs :-)

All kidding aside, I think the timing of this exhibit augurs very well for London dates next summer.  Great way to entice thousands of Stones 'tourists' from all over the world
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:24am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:56am
This video is awesome Smiley Oh Charlie!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 3:25pm
If done well, it could well be quite fantastic.

I'd like to think Wyman (as the one band member who curated and documented his period in the Stones in exhaustive detail) has been heavily involved in sourcing some of the exhibits used in this and in putting together an accurate historical narrative.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:28pm

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 9:08pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:21am:

Then it's planned to visit 11 'global cities' afterwards for a period of four years.

The Stones have 'done a Bowie' for the second time this week. If this trend continues maybe the next thing will be a 50-song three disc or two disc greatest hits release with a couple of new songs Smiley

All kidding aside, I think the timing of this exhibit augurs very well for London dates next summer.  Great way to entice thousands of Stones 'tourists' from all over the world

The Stones and the Who in Johnny Old. That's it. A new car can wait. Blighty, here I come.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 9:14pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:28pm:
JESUS WEPT!_ As a kid Ronnie Wood looks more like a budding Ronnie Kray. Fuck that is creepy! 'Look here Mother; just give me your purse or I'll do you and the old man, savvy?'

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 10:18pm
The exhibit will be cool if its done right, but is there anything actually "new" to us at this point? Haven't we read all about the Stones history and seen enough pictures? No, I guess we never get tired of it. I'll go to the exhibit if it travels to the US, but I certainly would not make a special trip to London just for an exhibit. RS have become a money making machine!

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:50pm
It's a great excuse for a NYC summit.  I can't wait to see it, actually.

Afterwards we can have soup!

...&&&&
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:59pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 10:18pm:
The exhibit will be cool if its done right, but is there anything actually "new" to us at this point? Haven't we read all about the Stones history and seen enough pictures? No, I guess we never get tired of it. I'll go to the exhibit if it travels to the US, but I certainly would not make a special trip to London just for an exhibit. RS have become a money making machine!

But you could visit Buck' Palace, Winston's war room, tussads(if you enjoy lining up all the way back to Bakerloo.) See the Gerkin, the Tower,and do it like every other jerk, from the top of a roofless London bus. Next stop, the Stones exhibit. Mind the gap.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:21pm
gypsymofo60 wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:59pm:

But you could visit Buck' Palace, Winston's war room, tussads(if you enjoy lining up all the way back to Bakerloo.) See the Gerkin, the Tower,and do it like every other jerk, from the top of a roofless London bus. Next stop, the Stones exhibit. Mind the gap.

haha I did ride that roofless London bus for some sightseeing. Lovely place, I adore it. Hampton Palace, Tate museum, London Eye, British Museum, High Tea, Harrods, St Paul's Cathedral, Hyde Park, Cheynne Walk, Tower Bridge, O2 Dome, Sticky Fingers resturant, Albert Hall. I would love to go back again for the Stones and see the exhibit too. 

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:33pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 3:25pm:
If done well, it could well be quite fantastic.

I'd like to think Wyman (as the one band member who curated and documented his period in the Stones in exhaustive detail) has been heavily involved in sourcing some of the exhibits used in this and in putting together an accurate historical narrative.

OR..... Bill tells them to go fuck themselves and I wouldn't blame him. I wonder how many photos or artifacts of Bill will be part of this exhibition. It will be very little I'm afraid

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:52pm
Mick Jagger insists The Rolling Stones will keep rocking
2nd Jul 15 | Entertainment News

The Rolling Stones insist their new career spanning exhibition does not mean they are planning on retiring and they plan to keep on rocking.

This week the band announced 'Exhibitionism' this week, an exhibition displaying memorabilia from the legendary group's 53-year career which will include iconic stage outfits, instruments, tour posters, album artwork, photos, letters and even some rare sound archives and recordings.

Although the four Rolling Stones members - also including Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts - have decided to create this retrospective attraction, Mick is adamant they will continue to play live and work on new projects going forward.

In an interview with The Sun newspaper, the 71-year-old singer said: ''Just because we're doing a retrospective doesn't mean it's all over. We're still working, still doing shows and I think we will continue to do so.''

Guitarist Keith echoes his bandmate's statement and has assured fans The Stones - who are currently on their North American 'Zip Code Tour' - are ''not particularly'' interested in retirement.

He said: ''How many times have they said that about every tour (that it's our last) since 1975?

''If anybody should be interested in when we're going to quit, it should be the Stones (themselves) and, er, they're not particularly interested in that.''

Ronnie added: ''This is another insight into an ongoing machine, an institution that will never stop rumbling. Another input into the travelling circus. We didn't have this museum idea with the thought of retirement.''

The band also revealed they spent just as much time organising and developing the exhibition as they would planning their concerts and wanted to include as much paraphernalia and as many iconic items - such as Mick's flag cape - as they could.

Mick said: ''We've been thinking about it for quite a long time, collecting things, thinking, 'Ah, this would be good,' or, 'We'd better save that.'

''We wanted it to be just right and on a large scale. The process has been like planning our touring productions.''

'Exhibitionism' opens at The Saatchi Gallery in London on April 6, 2016 and will run until September 2016.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:44pm

'become' ??

You wont need to go to London. New York and LA will be among the eleven 'global cities' that'll host it after London

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:47pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:44pm:

'become' ??

You wont need to go to London. New York and LA will be among the eleven 'global cities' that'll host it after London

Except fucking Australia!

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 11:14pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:21pm:
gypsymofo60 wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:59pm:

haha I did ride that roofless London bus for some sightseeing. Lovely place, I adore it. Hampton Palace, Tate museum, London Eye, British Museum, High Tea, Harrods, St Paul's Cathedral, Hyde Park, Cheynne Walk, Tower Bridge, O2 Dome, Sticky Fingers resturant, Albert Hall. I would love to go back again for the Stones and see the exhibit too. 
Did you do Dartord, the old Ealing Club, The Red Lion in Sutton? The Red Lion where the Stones had a number of gigs, I don't know if you'd call it a residence, is down in the Surrey Delta town of Sutton, this was part of my territory so to speak. I was a bit young when they were a struggling band to be hearing stories about these long haired reprobates playing in the back room every once in awhile.

When they made it, around early '64, suddenly; oh they're our boys. Typical. Stu as I have said lived up the road, well, down a lane past the old church, on the border of Cheam and Sutton. He probably got them the Red Lion gig. The old high street is long gone, but the pub remains. Sadly, there is no recognition of there. I did the Dartford thing as my cousin lived just outside of Dartford 10 years ago; and I'm not even the, well ya know; Graceland shmuck, or where Bonn Scott expired, Morrisson's Paris grave, Cheltenham tragic. So the Dartford tour was a one off for me.

Do go back, I miss it, Johnny Old; so much, try driving around the whole island, oh! And IRELAND of course. The history alone is mind blowing.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 11:56pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:52pm:
Mick said: ''We've been thinking about it for quite a long time, collecting things, thinking, 'Ah, this would be good,' or, 'We'd better save that.'

''We wanted it to be just right and on a large scale. The process has been like planning our touring productions.''

I am amazed by the utter crap that comes out of their mouths. Although Mick is secretly very protective of the Stones, he plays it as if he doesn't give a toss and the image that he has certainly portrayed over the years is a contempt bordering on disdain for nostalgia (except for the boring setlists). Yet now that tickets are being sold, they have been thinking about it for a long time and they have been thinking about saving things. Wasn't it Bill who said that they used to make fun of him for saving all the stuff, now they have been thinking about it for a long time. What a load of utter bollocks.

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 12:52am
The Wick -
Naah, I can't stand comedy either.
Aristophanes was the worst. Started the whole thing. The bastard.

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:24pm
What A Roll.......

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 2:09am
Albeit assorted exhibits may have already been set in stone, but there are still suuper possibilities here. Perhaps Chuck Saatchi would allow a wall to be taken down in order that a huge pile of knickers thrown on stage by fans and since sculptured by artist Michael Landy, could be towed into the gallery. Mark Fischer's designs should have some space, shirley? There could be some way in which punters could interact, interactively, with the trousers (and even trouser contents) of the band. There is no need to leave their bottoms out of this and every good reason to include their bottoms, not least in Polaroids. A few, or even many, guitars would be quite nice, but home movies would be lovely. Alternative album-cover and poster designs? A wall chart showing every one of Wyman's winkle-actions? The glorious new Stoonz album available - at slightly below cost - in the foyer?

Happpy days.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:21pm

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:21am:

The Stones have 'done a Bowie' for the second time this week. If this trend continues maybe the next thing will be a 50-song three disc or two disc greatest hits release with a couple of new songs Smiley

If they do release another compilation, let's hope the 70s & 80s, 90s and so on songs are not edited as they have been on 40 Licks, and that comp' that I refuse to name. God! That was a shit title, and a bloody stupid cover. Christian Benteke with Mick's young lips, sorry Americans you won't get that; anyway it's probably best you don't. It's very, very naughty. Oh! And I know this is a petty criticism, but please; Decca, Abkco, and Polydor,(EMI), put the tracks in proper chronological order, the editing  of songs like Miss You, and Undrecover OTN, etc, does my fucking head in. A decent 4, or 6 disc box set including the full length versions of Hot Stuff, Crazy Mama, and Hey Negrita, are well overdue on comp's. How about ditching Don't Stop, Highwire, Emotional fucking boredom, and half of bloody Some Girls on every major comp'.

Waiting On A Friend could go this time too. But whatever stop editing the songs released after '69. It's so fucking annoying. Now if they released a box set like that; I wouldn't mind what they bloody charged. Let Keith organise the next comp', his memory is far better than Sir Mick Bloody Jagger. Fingers crssed.

IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:04pm
gypsymofo60 wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 8:39pm:

Christian Benteke with Mick's young lips, sorry Americans you won't get that

That's some seriously racist shit right there, and it ain't cool. Fuck man, grow up.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:10pm
Shattered Stone wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:04pm:

That's some seriously racist shit right there, and it ain't cool. Fuck man, grow up.

Fuck man, chill out! It's just a bad joke; I know. Sorry! Sometimes I just let loose. As for growing up; get off the politically correct train next stop mate. After 30 years of pandering pussies, and politically correctness, I am fed up with people who tell the same jokes in their own homes anyway. I said it was very, very naughty, so grow up yourself. Get over it. I ain't Mayor Daley mate.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:10pm
Shattered Stone wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:04pm:

Oh!....And while we're on this subject, wasn't it Keith who said 'There wouldn't have been such a ruck over Altamont if it hadn't been a SPADE!!!! That got done in. Is that not some serious racist shit right there? I'll tell you; I have many ethnic friends, Aboriginals, Afro-Americans, Africans, Turks, Iraqis. None of them are offended by that type of humour. It's the British way, and it's the Australian way.

I admire Benteke as a sportsman, and as a man. He is a very decent guy. I support Liverpool FC, who have just signed him up, and I am chuffed at the prospect of him playing for my team.

I myself have suffered racism all my life. In Australia I am the dirty POMMY(Prisoner Of Her/His Majesty), because apparently the English do not bathe. I am already a racist pig because I am a product of the British Empire which raped, murdered, and pillaged it's way to empirical superiority. And it wasn't just kids who taunted me, it was also school teachers.

I am taunted because of my English(London) accent, and because I am one damned ugly fucker. So what? As I said it was in bad taste when I first posted it. But it's a joke. It has nothing to do with the colour of the man's skin. If I'd made fun of a white, Anglo-Saxon you wouldn't have blinked.

Ever made fun of a Mexican, a Limey, a Homo-sexual? A Russian, an Asian? Pots and kettles mate. Let he without sin, cast the first stone,(no pun intended.) I am not a racist!I do not care which religion people practice, their colour or their creed. They call each other nigger, some of them, degrade women as bitches, and whoe's, and despise us,(again some of them),  and make jokes about us. Have you heard the name Lee Rigby? Go to East London, and preach political correctness on the corner of Artillery Road, Woolwich. I doubt you'll receive a great deal of sympathy mate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)