Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Zip Code is about a 'summer stadium tour' first and foremost - - (Read 3,960 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Zip Code is about a 'summer stadium tour' first and foremost - -
Jun 29th, 2015 at 10:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

*I want to clear up a sort of mis-conception that seems fairly popular here on rockoff.org. Zip Code is a summer, stadium tour in 2015. That is what it is up front. Now, and in addition, The Stones are releasing Sticky Fingers.

The tour's main premise is to put on a stadium show in the summer months in North America .... not for the primary purpose of re-exposing Sticky Fingers, the album (although touring at the time of it's release will certainly help and it works, hence the tricky title of the tour).

The tour's purpose is to do a stadium gig while they still can, and while the market is still there for them to do such a major set of shows. That is the main purpose of Zip Code.. not to promote the re-release of an album dating back to 1971.

Promoting Sticky Fingers goes 'hand-in-hand' with the tour.... BUT still the tour's main purpose is simply to do a stadium gig while they still can.

Many act as if this tour is based on Sticky Fingers....or is centered around it. I see how you could say it is... but in reality..it isn't... nor is it really intended as that. The re-release of Sticky Fingers has come into play .. and it's not that the two are unrelated or anything ...but The Stones are touring to tour .. and play stadiums again ..in the summer months.

It isn't based on Sticky Fingers or The re-release of it. The Sticky Fingers re-release and that whole aspect is a sort of side attraction, or ancedote to the main premise... which, again is simply to do a summer stadium tour again.

Just wanted to state and make that clear here.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 10:42pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Zip Code is about a 'summer stadium tour' first and foremost - -
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Zip Code is about playing CYHMK, Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter real loud outdoors, while getting me a lossless recording of the complete Fonda show.  And playing Crazy Mama again in Buffalo.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 1:19am
This tour, as with the last several, is about making shitloads of money.

The tour is about promoting the Sticky Fingers re-release, as Jagger, Richards and Wood have all alluded to. Even going so far as to say they may play the entire album live (which they've done exactly once on this tour).

And it's no coincidence that the Stick Fingers-era 'Marquee Club' package was released two weeks after the SF packages. They're touring behind a 40 year album with lazy bonus material because they're too lazy, spent or embittered with each other to record new material, and their main source of new income is playing live shows; so they tour behind an old release because the world largely doesn't care about new Rolling Stones music and it wouldn't sell much anyway because of downloading and such.

So Ian -  I disagree with you, mate.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 3:57am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 1:19am:

The tour is about promoting the Sticky Fingers re-release, as Jagger, Richards and Wood have all alluded to. Even going so far as to say they may play the entire album live (which they've done exactly once on this tour).

And it's no coincidence that the Stick Fingers-era 'Marquee Club' package was released two weeks after the SF packages. They're touring behind a 40 year album with lazy bonus material because they're too lazy, spent or embittered with each other to record new material, and their main source of new income is playing live shows; so they tour behind an old release because the world largely doesn't care about new Rolling Stones music and it wouldn't sell much anyway because of downloading and such.

I was trying to come up with a response to this bizarre thread, but you summed it up nicely. Put the pipe down Ian.

Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 5:26am
I called it the "Hits and Tits" tour.

The setlist is pretty much the same as the 50th, with a few changes here and there.

And I was right when I said that they wouldn't play the entire SF album all the time. Too many slow songs for a stadium.

Continue.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 3:36pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 1:19am:

Yes... the tour concerns making shitloads of money, Mr. Yeats. I also agree in that The Stones have been really uninterested in recording a new album over the past 7-8 years but now that is starting to change ... but The Stones are not touring behind anything, nor are they touring behind the re-release of an album dating back 40 years ago.

Finally, after 7-8 years of total dis-interest they will record another album  ... (as I always said they would). It's coming / they are going to start on it after this set or South America shows. Nobody in the Stones camp ever said the tour was about promoting the album. If it was all about that, then why not just say it? Sure the side notion works because it is conveinient in that Sticky Fingers is being released .. but that was not it's intended primary purpose. Mick Jagger said this tour wasn't specifically to promote the album .. and the name of the tour is taken in two different ways ... it refers to the zip-code of the stadium or area they are playing ... (and it serves as a hint or a code name... no pun for Sticky Fingers album / it's cover).

Promoting the album goes 'hand in hand' but there is no money in promoting the album Sticky Fingers... Why tour behind something that isn't going to make you much cash at all? If they are lucky it will sell 3 million copies... thats not going to do anything for them, really. The money is in the tour if you want to consider the cash part of it. The tour is a continuation of the 50th .. but in stadiums... and in cities they did not reach in 12-13.

The tours basis is not to promote Sticky Fingers... that part works nicely, and it is in the cards... but the main point of the tour is to do a string of summer stadium shows again.

Mr. Yeats... sure they like the money but come on man .. how much do they need? This isn't solely about the change. They seem to seriously love doing it. Sure they may not do it w/o the cash ...but I seriously think they like doing it FIRST and the cash is a nice incentive is all.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 5:15pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 5:26am:
I called it the "Hits and Tits" tour.

The setlist is pretty much the same as the 50th, with a few changes here and there.

And I was right when I said that they wouldn't play the entire SF album all the time. Too many slow songs for a stadium.

Continue.

lots of tits
no nipples

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:02pm
This tour is about making money. Same as every other Stones tour.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Always understood that
ZIP
Code was a play on
ZIPPER
as in the album cover of
STICKY FINGERS

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:17pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:02pm:

Actually, The Stones are not really going to earn much cash this tour. That is why they did that private gig for that former HP Exec.

They make anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00 bucks a night now. Sure that's pretty good money .. but they had to rent a jet.. and pitch in to pay for the stage .. When it's all said and done all four Stones are probably only pocketing  $75.00 - $80.00 bucks a gig (that's not even taking into consideration their hotel costs while they are on the road). 
The roadies and technicians are mostly under a volunteer program .. being as they are all Stones fans. Chuck, Lisa, Bernard and the rest of the support musicians etc. ...  work for food most of the tour (they put on the show and get free pizza back stage afterward etc.).

Ian
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:28pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:30am
Ian Billen wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:17pm:

Actually, The Stones are not really going to earn much cash this tour. That is why they did that private gig for that former HP Exec.

They make anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00 bucks a night now. Sure that's pretty good money .. but they had to rent a jet.. and pitch in to pay for the stage .. When it's all said and done all four Stones are probably only pocketing  $75.00 - $80.00 bucks a gig (that's not even taking into consideration their hotel costs while they are on the road). 
The roadies and technicians are mostly under a volunteer program .. being as they are all Stones fans. Chuck, Lisa, Bernard and the rest of the support musicians etc. ...  work for food most of the tour (they put on the show and get free pizza back stage afterward etc.).

Ian

Ian - I like you mate. You seem a good geezer and a 'true believer'. But some things you say make no sense, apart from being patently false.

I know you like to wind people up and get a reaction, but why would you insult Lisa and Bernard et al by saying they work for pizza? Why do you hold them in such contempt?

Before you respond, if you do, please review your last post and think about what YOU have written. Do you really believe these sorts of things, or are you just taking the piss?

If so, it's not a very clever piss take at all. And the joke's on you, mate.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:10am
Apart from a period of about a year in 2005-2006 when they tried to kid people that they were touring behind a Bigger Bang by half apologetically playing 3-4 songs from it a night before they lost interest mid tour the Stones haven't 'toured behind' an album since 1998.

Actually - scratch that. They've toured behind disc 2 of 40 Licks since 2002.

I don't know of anyone who is taking this Sticky Fingers tour thing seriously so I'm at a loss as to where this misconception comes from.

The bands priorities have been concert revenue , nostalgia and marketing for about 15 years to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. The tour name is just a clever bit of marketing and a nice pun on the reissue of an old record. Renaming each tour doesn't mean it's anything different to what's been happening since the start of the millennium.

They're  touring because they like performing, are still very good at it, but maybe as significantly because they don't grasp the concept of 'enough ' when it comes to being offered money they'll never spend or need and because at this stage of their lives, they really don't have anything else to do.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:59pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 5:30am:
Ian Billen wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:17pm:

Ian

Ian - I like you mate. You seem a good geezer and a 'true believer'. But some things you say make no sense, apart from being patently false.

I know you like to wind people up and get a reaction, but why would you insult Lisa and Bernard et al by saying they work for pizza? Why do you hold them in such contempt?

Before you respond, if you do, please review your last post and think about what YOU have written. Do you really believe these sorts of things, or are you just taking the piss?

If so, it's not a very clever piss take at all. And the joke's on you, mate.

Mr. Yeats ... me and Gazza are right on the same page with this.. He nailed it, better than I was describing what this tour is about. I suppose the jokes on him as well. Speaking of Jokes... no, I hold no contempt for Lisa or Bernard etc.? I suppose you feel I hold contempt for all four of The Rolling Stones being as I joked about them only pocketing about 80.00 a night. No I don't hold contempt for the roadies and techs who I jokingly said were simply voluteers.

The post in which I described their piddely compensation for this tour was a <J-O-K-E> ... Mr. Yeats .. Gaaaeeeeze lol

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:03pm
[quote author=1432292932530 link=1435635383/11#11 date=1435756216]Apart from a period of about a year in 2005-2006 when they tried to kid people that they were touring behind a Bigger Bang by half apologetically playing 3-4 songs from it a night before they lost interest mid tour the Stones haven't 'toured behind' an album since 1998.

I don't know of anyone who is taking this Sticky Fingers tour thing seriously so I'm at a loss as to where this misconception comes from.

The bands priorities have been concert revenue , nostalgia and marketing for about 15 years to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. The tour name is just a clever bit of marketing and a nice pun on the reissue of an old record. Renaming each tour doesn't mean it's anything different to what's been happening since the start of the millennium.

They're  touring because they like performing, are still very good at it, but maybe as significantly because they don't grasp the concept of 'enough ' when it comes to being offered money they'll never spend or need and because at this stage of their lives, they really don't have anything else to do.

^You nailed this ... You described my thoughts perfectly and described exactly what this tour is all about and what it stands for / what the concepts are.

Most people here think this tour is a tour behind Sticky Fingers (a 40 year old album??)?? The tour is helping out Sticky Fingers a bit and used a bit to that push, but it is not a tour behind the re-release of an album. It is a special ancedote to the tour is what it is... a side attraction along with the main attraction... which is simply a Rolling Stones summer stadium tour, 2015. At least A Bigger Bang was <officially> a tour in which they were touring behind that (this tour they are not) ... though ABB was for the better part, left alone as far as live songs go and promotion as you stated.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:06pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 7:20pm
The era of anyone 'touring behind' an album ended once concert grosses started outstripping revenue from album sales.

Nowadays, a commercial release is generally an 'excuse' to justify a tour artistically - in some cases, its more convincing than others

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:15pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 7:20pm:
The era of anyone 'touring behind' an album ended once concert grosses started outstripping revenue from album sales.

Nowadays, a commercial release is generally an 'excuse' to justify a tour artistically - in some cases, its more convincing than others

Right... the big money is in the touring and it's going more and more to that notion. Selling five million downloads is nice and will get you a semi-comfy annual earning ... Some change to play with .... but that is not going to make you boat loads of cash... it won't come close to anything like it used to be in that regard. It isn't 1976 anymore. The money is in the 'live shows'.

At any rate .. This tour is only that... a tour to do stadium gigs again. What they make off of Sticky Fingers will be peanuts as compared to what they will cash in on the tour...

Touring behind an album, especially one 40 friggin years old is a rediculous notion and is ... well ... non-sensical ... (and they say I'm the one that is crazy in all this ....lol?). Not sure why people think this is the main concept in Zip Code ... it isn't .. It just happens to work as a side addition to the tour.

Ian
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:21pm by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:39am
An argument for either side, via smoke and mirrors of RS.com:

ZIP CODE: Raleigh 27607

Tonight the Rolling Stones rocked the Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, North Carolina!

The band played a killer set under the full moon, with cosmic tunes including the very appropriate ‘Moonlight Mile’, ‘Shine A Light’ (which won the song vote)  and ‘Out Of Control’, along with much loved songs ‘Let’s Spend The Night Together’, ‘Midnight Rambler’ and ‘Miss You’,

Along with ‘Moonlight Mile’, the band also paid tribute to Sticky Fingers by playing ‘Bitch’ and ‘Brown Sugar’. All three songs are featured on the brand new album Sticky Fingers Live, recorded at the ZIP CODE opening night at the Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles, released yesterday exclusively on iTunes.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:13pm
Ian,
I'm not sure where you are coming up with your facts and figures about who makes what, but I think its more all the way around.

I dont think its all about the money anymore. They already proved to themselves and to everyone else that they are a money making machine. I say, :Well deserved!

As for the Sticky Fingers Zipper Zip Code Tour, its a very weak link from the album to the tour, but there is some promo involved, not much to be excited about except the addition of MOONLIGHT MILE to the setlist. So for that song alone I give it a nod.

As for why they are still touring, its because they can. KEEF has said they will never stop until one of them drops dead so lets hope they live long lives. MICK has said that they will go on until nobody wants to hear them anymore. Thats not likely to happen so lets be thankful they are still alive and well enough to to stadiums, arenas, clubs or whatever they choose and whereever they choose, because they are the ROLLING STONES! Thats what they do!   

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:18pm
NO CHARLIE = NO STONES...death not even a factor

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #19 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:47pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:18pm:

Charlie has said (recently) that he is part of a band, and that means going the extra mile and doing things you may not want to do because you are in a band. He has loyalty, and he feels responsibility to the band. Also his grandaughter is a big fan and travels with him so maybe that adds a sense or pride and renewed enthusiasm. He even looks happy during the intros recently. I dont think he wants out.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:38pm
Does Keith even know his zip code in Conn. ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #21 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:32pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 8:10am:
Apart from a period of about a year in 2005-2006 when they tried to kid people that they were touring behind a Bigger Bang by half apologetically playing 3-4 songs from it a night before they lost interest mid tour the Stones haven't 'toured behind' an album since 1998.

I don't agree, mate. If the phrase 'touring behind' an album is incorrect, then I stand corrected (just as touring behind 'Made In the Shade' in '75 may have been a misnomer).

But the fact is that they are touring in conjunction with Sticky Fingers and the Marquee Club packages.

The Stones have always been about making money, as much as possible, hence the live gigs. To lend credence to the tour, they are marketing SF and the Marquee (ans well as the upcoming Hyde Park DVD).

These things are not coincidences; they've never toured without a physical new release on the shelves, even if only a hits package. 

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #22 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 11:15pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:47pm:

Charlie has said (recently) that he is part of a band, and that means going the extra mile and doing things you may not want to do because you are in a band. He has loyalty, and he feels responsibility to the band. Also his grandaughter is a big fan and travels with him so maybe that adds a sense or pride and renewed enthusiasm. He even looks happy during the intros recently. I dont think he wants out.

I was speaking more to the fact that Keith once said that if Charlie ever decided to quit, that would be the end of the band, No Charlie = No Stones....as in They subbed out Brian, Taylor, Wyman, Mick, ( sorta with the New Barbarians...a stretch, I know)...They would NEVER sub Charlie...

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 11:35pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 11:15pm:
Bitch wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:47pm:

I was speaking more to the fact that Keith once said that if Charlie ever decided to quit, that would be the end of the band, No Charlie = No Stones....as in They subbed out Brian, Taylor, Wyman, Mick, ( sorta with the New Barbarians...a stretch, I know)...They would NEVER sub Charlie...

Don't be so sure... ya think if Charlie dropped dead tomorrow they wouldn't phone up Steve Jordan or someone? This is the Stones we're talking about.

After the tour, who knows? Again, this is Jagger and Richards...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 12:43pm

Really...the name of this tour should be called "The Taylor Years" tour

Album         #Songs
Exile                 3
Let It Bleed      3
Sticky Fingers      3
Non-LP Singles 2
Some Girls      2
Beggars Banquet      1
Between the Buttons      1
Bridges to Babylon      1
It’s Only Rock ’n Roll      1
Out of Our Heads      1
Tattoo You              1

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)