Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers Live - available now on iTunes! (Read 6,439 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Sticky Fingers Live - available now on iTunes!
Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:28am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Stones have just sprung a huge surprise on us and released "Sticky Fingers Live" - a live album consisting of the 10 SF songs performed at the Fonda Theatre in LA on May 20 - on iTunes without any advance publicity.

Prices are $9.99, £6.99 and €7.99

As the show was professionally filmed, no doubt there'll be a visual release later on, but this is a terrific surprise

Nice one.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Re: Sticky Fingers Live - available now on iTunes!
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 6:35am
Listening now--sweet!

This is a great way to start the week!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:00am
Trying to refrain from listening to it all now as it'll be a nice way to pass the time in the gym later but that's a fucking great version of 'dead flowers'

... ... ...
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:24am
Jagger's singing on this is excellent.  What a treat!  I just finished it and will keep it on repeat all day!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:00am
I totally called this. Though I predicted they'd release it on iTunes the day after the show. And I was right for the most part. I'm glad they played it out of order.

You rock!
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:08am by leonid »  

IP Logged

Maczee
Rocks Off Regular

Keep On Rollin'

Buenos Fuckin' Aires
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:09am
I hope this could be edited on vinyl and br soon.

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
maxi.testa  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 9:28am
if they had done this for every show starting with Licks Tour, when the demand was there…. bank $$$ and extremeely low overhead and happy fans…
I know it sounds like a complaint, just glad they are doing stuff like Vault and this finally.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Maczee wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:09am:
I hope this could be edited on vinyl and br soon.

Blu-ray is a cert as the show was put together especially for filming purposes.

I think we can safely assume a multi-format audio/video package sometime in the next few months as they did with 'Sweet Summer Sun' - a release which also first surfaced (albeit with about a week's notice) as an i-tunes download.

The fact that its just 10 songs and under 50 minutes should increase the chances of a vinyl version, I would imagine.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Maczee
Rocks Off Regular

Keep On Rollin'

Buenos Fuckin' Aires
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 3:14pm
I'd love a vinyl version of this show, the sound and the "atmosphere" are amazing!
I got my copy of Sweet Summer Sun (3 vinyl + 1 dvd) Maybe could be something similar with this.

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
maxi.testa  
IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:19pm
Well, I don't wanna complain, it sounds great, but I sure do miss a very long sax solo in "I've got the blues"

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:21pm
they could still release the entire show, with all the tracks, not just the SF stuff.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Still not a fucking peep about this on the band's official site, twitter or facebook accounts.

Too busy flooding social media with these meaningless teases about this 'stonesism' nonsense.

WTF is wrong with these people? The band pull a clever marketing move, put out a download release with no fanfare which (going by the general consensus) happens to be extremely good (IMHO it's actually pretty stellar)  and which helps promote the current tour and SF reissue - and they choose not to bother mentioning it?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:26pm:
Still not a fucking peep about this on the band's official site, twitter or facebook accounts.

Too busy flooding social media with these meaningless teases about this 'stonesism' nonsense.

WTF is wrong with these people? The band pull a clever marketing move, put out a download release with no fanfare which (going by the general consensus) happens to be extremely good (IMHO it's actually pretty stellar)  and which helps promote the current tour and SF reissue - and they choose not to bother mentioning it?

You act as if this tour is a SF tour...Oh...wait...what?!?

I cant even offer an explanation for this...The band is not playing SF this tour, so they appease us with THIS release...which is fine and even noble. There is a good/valid  argument against playing the entire album  in Stadiums...but the lack of fanfare...careless...and I feel like there be be a head or two to roll from Jaggers tongue lashing (did you see what I did there?)

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:32pm
Give me the noble complete Fonda in lossless, please.  You know - as tour support merchandise.  Because you don't have an album out.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Thanks Gazza! Do you know if Itunes is the only way to get it? No (physical) deluxe package?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 10:06pm
Pdog wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:21pm:
they could still release the entire show, with all the tracks, not just the SF stuff.

Yeah I'd like to hear the whole show. But I downloaded the SF live stuff. Listened to most of it on a walk this morning. Without picking at nits, thought it sounded real good..................So G. What's the whole Stonesism shit about? More marketing crap?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:20am
Downloaded this yesterday, thought it sounded really good, especially I Got The Blues, which I had never heard live.

I thought it sounded amazing, and Mick's vocals are awesome on this one.

But what the hell is wrong with the snare drum on Moonlight Mile? It sounds like Metallica's horrible St. Anger drums.

Is it a mixing problem? 'Cause I don't hear the same problem on the other tracks!

It's my favorite Sticky Fingers track, and the live version is great, but the drums totally ruin the track for me

IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:56am
Hi,
Here is my first post with my new account.

I've posted it yesterday at the 'other' big forum, but I want to share my thoughts with you, as they are more arguing if 10$ is too much or not...
Just finished listening for the first time. Wow, what a great show! They almost nailed it a 100%. Now I know why bv rates this show among the best he has seen. They filled the rare played numbers with fresh new life, not just reproducing them. Seems that the shows with can't turn you loose as encore are gonna be really special ones...

A few more thoughts:

- absolute highlights --> sisters morphine & you gotta move

- also great --> dead flowers, wild horses,can't you hear me knocking, I got the blues, moonlight mile

- great licks and solo from Ronnie on dead flowers, great singing from mick, same with wild horses

- at can't you hear me knocking is miss a little Keith power chords in the verses, he's more licking

- mick is a little bit struggling to hit the high notes on I got the blues, at least his voice doesn't sound relaxed in that part, it sounds a bit strained

- on the opposite mick sings moonlight mile better then in 1999

- bitch is boring. I would like to hear it more guitar driven like in the early 70'

- brown sugar: really good version, but I can't hear it anymore. Just seen it live too often

- sway, better then on the bigger bang tour, especially micks voice, but it has not the same level as sm or igtb

- micks singing performance is all in all outstanding

- did I hear some small glitches from Charlie?

- sax is great, but I miss bobby keys

- it's a shame that only a very small audience has ever the chance to hear these great rare songs live!

Overall a striking performance, even more astonishing when you remember at what level their 2007 shows were. I couldn't imagine, that after 2007 they could ever reach such a high level again. Such a show proofs, that they can do great shows for easily more than ten years from now on.

Long live the stones

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:56am
Bitch wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:20pm:
Thanks Gazza! Do you know if Itunes is the only way to get it? No (physical) deluxe package?

Just i-tunes, Ellen - at the minute, anyway.

As I said above, I'd be amazed if its not available as a CD whenever the bluray of the show comes out.  Same as was the case with Hyde Park 2013.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:59am
Eduardo BM Paiva wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:20am:
Downloaded this yesterday, thought it sounded really good, especially I Got The Blues, which I had never heard live.

But what the hell is wrong with the snare drum on Moonlight Mile? It sounds like Metallica's horrible St. Anger drums.

Is it a mixing problem? 'Cause I don't hear the same problem on the other tracks!

It's my favorite Sticky Fingers track, and the live version is great, but the drums totally ruin the track for me

Charlie uses suspension ( hope thats the way you call it in english)drumsticks on moonlight mile
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 12:01pm by sebi »  

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 12:23pm
Don't know if that's the way they call it in English, since I'm from Brazil! hahah Wink

Anyway, I think it sounds really bad Sad

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 12:35pm
sebi wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:56am:
Hi,
Here is my first post with my new account.

I've posted it yesterday at the 'other' big forum, but I want to share my thoughts with you, as they are more arguing if 10$ is too much or not...
Just finished listening for the first time. Wow, what a great show! They almost nailed it a 100%. Now I know why bv rates this show among the best he has seen. They filled the rare played numbers with fresh new life, not just reproducing them. Seems that the shows with can't turn you loose as encore are gonna be really special ones...

A few more thoughts:

- absolute highlights --> sisters morphine & you gotta move

- also great --> dead flowers, wild horses,can't you hear me knocking, I got the blues, moonlight mile

- great licks and solo from Ronnie on dead flowers, great singing from mick, same with wild horses

- at can't you hear me knocking is miss a little Keith power chords in the verses, he's more licking

- mick is a little bit struggling to hit the high notes on I got the blues, at least his voice doesn't sound relaxed in that part, it sounds a bit strained

- on the opposite mick sings moonlight mile better then in 1999

- bitch is boring. I would like to hear it more guitar driven like in the early 70'

- brown sugar: really good version, but I can't hear it anymore. Just seen it live too often

- sway, better then on the bigger bang tour, especially micks voice, but it has not the same level as sm or igtb

- micks singing performance is all in all outstanding

- did I hear some small glitches from Charlie?

- sax is great, but I miss bobby keys

- it's a shame that only a very small audience has ever the chance to hear these great rare songs live!

Overall a striking performance, even more astonishing when you remember at what level their 2007 shows were. I couldn't imagine, that after 2007 they could ever reach such a high level again. Such a show proofs, that they can do great shows for easily more than ten years from now on.

Long live the stones

Nice first post - welcome.

I'm amazed how people who can think nothing of paying $300 - $500 for a concert ticket (or even more) in a stadium can baulk at paying $10 for a release.  Have people got so obsessed with 'seeing' the Stones as if they're merely some kind of museum piece completely forgotten that they make music as well?  And this one is very good.

We dont have to buy it a second time if there's a physical release later on, but even if people do fork out for it again - for goodness sake, this is barely the price of a small pizza or a couple of beers.

I'm pretty sure they've reworked some of the songs a little bit (after all, theyve had plenty of downtime between shows), but no matter, its still a fine release.

Highlights for me are Dead Flowers and Sister Morphine.
Sway maybe could have been pulled off a bit better, but thats a very minor gripe. Even the songs they play a lot like Brown Sugar are really good

I liked the way they re-start 'You Gotta Move' and 'I Got The Blues'.

When they finally debuted 'Moonlight Mile' on the No Security tour in 1999 it was a welcome surprise although in fairness it didnt quite come off.  It's MUCH better in 2015. It'll never top the original (which is one of my top 4 or 5 Stones records ever) but this is a very worthy performance that I wouldnt have imagined possible at this stage of their career.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 12:38pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 10:06pm:
Pdog wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 4:21pm:

Yeah I'd like to hear the whole show. But I downloaded the SF live stuff. Listened to most of it on a walk this morning. Without picking at nits, thought it sounded real good..................So G. What's the whole Stonesism shit about? More marketing crap?

No idea. Probably.

Hideous name, whatever it is.  Makes it sound like we're a little gang of disciples.  Leave that shit to the 'Beliebers'

... ... ...
IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 1:14pm
sebi wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:59am:
Eduardo BM Paiva wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:20am:

Charlie uses suspension ( hope thats the way you call it in english)drumsticks on moonlight mile

I think the term you're looking for is "mallets." Charlie was definitely using mallets from the videos I've seen.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 2:08pm
WTF is wrong with these people? The band pull a clever marketing move, put out a download release with no fanfare which (going by the general consensus) happens to be extremely good (IMHO it's actually pretty stellar)  and which helps promote the current tour and SF reissue - and they choose not to bother mentioning it

They sure as hell were on top of it in getting those fugly shirts up for Raleigh though!!

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 2:45pm
They should've done the same thing with Exile when that reissue came out

Perhaps a live album in the likes of Stripped

I think it could be pulled off, and it would be awesome

I think that ship has sailed, though

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 4:47pm

Dear Rolling Stones:

Your new release Sticky Fingers Live is better than your
last 27 live albums.  It is the first one since GYYYO that
I will listen to more than once. 

Yours in Cripes, FPM

PS Ronald sounds extra chunky this tour. 
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 2:01am by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 6:02pm
HELLO to Sebi! Nice first post, so how long have you been a fan and where do you call home?

I havent heard this new release yet, but I agree with Gazza $10 is not expensive at all, just the cost of a decent glass of wine plus tip!
My problem with it is that I like a physical thing, not just a download. Many of my downloads are in the dead computer/devices graveyard, never to be heard from again.

IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #28 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 2:52pm
Bitch wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 6:02pm:
HELLO to Sebi! Nice first post, so how long have you been a fan and where do you call home?

I havent heard this new release yet, but I agree with Gazza $10 is not expensive at all, just the cost of a decent glass of wine plus tip!
My problem with it is that I like a physical thing, not just a download. Many of my downloads are in the dead computer/devices graveyard, never to be heard from again.

Hi bitch,

I used to make mix tapes when I was really young, at the age of five or six & and on all these tapes I put on the stones version of Route 66 from my fathers lp collection but I don't liked the stones at that time because they looked so evil on the cover of their first lp and even more ugly on hide tide and green gras. In the end of 1989 I was watching a retrospective on the 80' music & there was a snippet about the stones where they were playing start me up on the steel wheels tour & the snippet stroke like a lightning, this was the best thing I had heard till then & I was very into music by that time.
( you can see it here http://youtu.be/0wc9A-enFYg --> 1:01) for me it's still the best start me up version I know. The sound of Keith guitar is so unbelievable good, if I was a stones sound engineer I would make Keith guitar sound like this through the whole show or album. Six month later I was at my first stoneshow in my hometown Hannover, Germany. For me it was even more impressive then the start me up experience. I was dreaming about this show years later, how the whole stadium was singing ruby tuesday or ycagwyw, it was surreal. After this show I discovered bootlegs and the stones back catalogue, wandering spirit was the first cd I bought on my own & I liked it very much. Then voodoo lounge and the tour, with over half a year of big pleasant inticipation together with my friends from school & an even better show then in 1990 again in my hometown Hannover. One more show in 95' in Wolfsburg which was very good, too. In 1997 after school I was making civil service instead of going to the army & I earned my first own money. With my first three wages I bought a flight ticket to l.a. and saw the stones 5 times in la & San Francisco. On the European tour I saw more than 20 shows & also wanted to go to Argentina (which is the best location to see the stones I imagine) but I don't get holidays from my boss. After that I tried to see every show if time & money allows. I've seen them over 70 times till now & still enjoying it very much most of the time. Unfortunately I don't have the time these days to see them as much shows as I want , 'cause work and family doesn't allow it that much anymore. Otherwise I would be in the us right know ...

By the way, I was a rocks off member in 2000 or 2001 but didn't post much, because my English is not so good. After the forum change ( from black yellow to blue grey) my account was gone, so I'm not completely new Wink

So thank you very much bitch & gazza for your warm welcome, & as I check stones forums every day, I must say this one is the best. Anarchy & gazza & 'fuck' doesn't gets censored, what do want more Wink

Atb

Sebi, formerly known as voodoosebi Smiley            
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 2:59pm by sebi »  

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #29 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 3:27pm
FPM wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 4:47pm:

Dear Rolling Stones:

Yours in Cripes, FPM

Couldn't agree more. They sound so good! And the production on this thing is outstanding.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #30 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:57pm
Holden wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 3:27pm:
FPM wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 4:47pm:

Dear Rolling Stones:

Yours in Cripes, FPM

Couldn't agree more. They sound so good! And the production on this thing is outstanding.

Yep, yep,yep. Makes you wonder wjhy they don't play the whole thing on a rotating basis on this tour. Sway sounds good. I Got The Blues. The whole damn thing.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #31 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 3:06pm
I just received an email from RS Inc about this release...3:50, July 3rd...

way to stay on top of it guys!!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #32 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 5:51pm
Something tells me that the Sticky Fingers Live portion of Fonda Theater 2015 may be the only part of the show released in lossless on CD, when and if.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #33 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 6:34pm

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Sticky Fingers live debuts at #92 selling close to 7,000 copies last week only from iTunes. It only charted in th US so far, it looks like the worldwide Itunes album sales are very poor.

It's their 13th Live Album charting on the Billboard 200:

1966 - Got Live If You Want It! (#6)
1970 - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (#6)
1977 - Love You Live (#5)
1982 - Still Life (#5)
1991 - Flashpoint (#16)
1995 - Stripped (#9)
1996 - Rock And Roll Circus (#92)
1998 - No Security (#34)
2004 - Live Licks (#50)
2008 - Shine A Light (#11)
2013 - Hyde Park Live (#19)
2014 - Hampton Coliseum 1981 (#120)
2015 - Sticky Fingers Live (#92)

Sticky Fingers (6.5k) and Hot Rocks (4k) are still on the Top 200, a great year for the Stones in the States with 4 albums on the Billboard 200 and sales close to 200k only from these 4 albums.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)