Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Building the stage, Houston, TX - April 2024 © Alesia Turner with thanks to christijanus and Rogerriffin

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top 5 Villains in the Rolling Stones Story (Read 4,039 times)
KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Bayonne, NJ
Top 5 Villains in the Rolling Stones Story
Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:18pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
There's a new book out this month - "Alan Klein" by Fred Goodman - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

http://www.strandbooks.com/product/allen-klein-the-man-who-bailed-out-the-beatle...

That got me to thinking. Is anyone more hated in the history of the Rolling Stones?
Here's a quick list of 5 off the top of my head:

1. Alan Klein - Stole money and song rights. Family still controls unreleased material of the Brian Jones era. Fans can only pray those songs see the light of day.

2. Sonny Barger - President of the Hell's Angels. Put a hit on the Stones after his club was charged with murder at the Altamont concert.

3. Frank Thoroghgood - On the scene and suspected of having a hand in the death of Brian Jones.

4. English Judges - The ones who sentenced Mick and Keith to jail terms after the infamous raid at Keith's house in 1967.

5. Heads of Decca Records - For holding up the release of Beggar's Banquet for month over an album cover dispute.

Honorable Mention - Bianca Jagger - considered by many to be the "Yoko Ono" who caused a rift between Mick and Keith. Probably unfair, and criticism has softened over the years.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Top 5 Villains in the Rolling Stones Story
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:43pm
KMC wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:18pm:
There's a new book out this month - "Alan Klein" by Fred Goodman - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

http://www.strandbooks.com/product/allen-klein-the-man-who-bailed-out-the-beatle...

That got me to thinking. Is anyone more hated in the history of the Rolling Stones?
Here's a quick list of 5 off the top of my head:

1. Alan Klein - Stole money and song rights. Family still controls unreleased material of the Brian Jones era. Fans can only pray those songs see the light of day.

2. Sonny Barger - President of the Hell's Angels. Put a hit on the Stones after his club was charged with murder at the Altamont concert.

3. Frank Thoroghgood - On the scene and suspected of having a hand in the death of Brian Jones.

4. English Judges - The ones who sentenced Mick and Keith to jail terms after the infamous raid at Keith's house in 1967.

5. Heads of Decca Records - For holding up the release of Beggar's Banquet for month over an album cover dispute.

Honorable Mention - Bianca Jagger - considered by many to be the "Yoko Ono" who caused a rift between Mick and Keith. Probably unfair, and criticism has softened over the years.
Look into Tom Keylock. Now there is a villain. But nobody really bothers with him because, his tenure was relatively short, and for good reason. Who got rid of everybody from Brian's gaff after he died. And you know I remember that night even though I was very young.
Contrary to what is said in books about that night, someone gave ITN London, the heads up around midnight, because there was a News At Ten newsflash around that time.
It can be verified.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 5:22pm
Chuck Levell: maestro of the setlist

Bianca Jagger? What rift was that? They divorced in 1978. You could say that she is villain to have inspired IORR (BILI), but other than that, I think she kept Jagger grounded somewhat and in a good way.

IP Logged

KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Bayonne, NJ
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 6:37pm
I did say criticism of Bianca was unfair.
She did probably inspire Mick to hang out with the glitter crowd at Studio 54 in NY.
Plus, keep him away from Keith's house at Nellcote during the making of Exile.
(That might have actually been a good thing at the time.)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 7:25pm
Agree with Thorogood and Keylock. Klein and the British establishment in the late 60's are honourable mentions too.

For me though, its Michael Cohl. Although saying that, the band were culpable in allowing it.

Whereas the main dynamic in the band in the first half of their career was Jagger-Richards, it more and more became Jagger-Cohl until he was replaced a few years ago. The damage done to what creative instincts they had left by that stage was irreparable, though.  Theyve settled for resting on their laurels for a couple of decades.

Decca holding up a record release for two months is of no significance.  Bianca? Hardly. Mick always was a shameless social climber. Something or other was always going to come between them at some point.  Heroin and alcohol on Keith's part were both far bigger factors. Ended up prematurely diminishing his creativity after the mid 90s.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:25pm
1? ,2 and 3 yes
But the other don't seem to rate in the villain category!
They Seem to be just bad Decisions Business wise.
Klein is a question to me? Didn't They knew he was Scum Bag but used him as he used them and others. Klein fucked every one ask The Beatles!
But I still say 1 2 3
The / any government will always fuck us if it to their advantage.
Decca? dumb Decision but.........
Bianca, a wife, a women and a women in love with the man, Mick Jagger and the snake Give me a break, Mick's fault
tough question.
IMO

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Fuck Klein, I won't buy this bullcrap I don't give a fucking shit for it

GRRR!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:37pm
Rather than naming the British Judiciary and the British Establishment generally, who it must be admitted ultimately supported Mick and Keith re the Redlands bust (the Appellate Judge who overturned the original sentences and William Rees Mogg and "Who Breaks a Butterfly on a Wheel?") you could more specifically name The News of the World and the dealer that set them up David Schneiderman.

Schneiderman with Keith

Also Detective Sergeant Norman Pilcher the English copper who,  in the 60s and 70s,  made a name for himself for busting rock stars . He collared Brian and Mick and Marianne for pot in '68 (with rumours Brian's was a stich up) and was also in charge of  the Cheyne Walk bust at Keith's in '73

Pilcher
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2015 at 3:01am by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 9:06pm
" Klein is a question to me? Didn't They knew he was Scum Bag but used him as he used them and others. Klein fucked every one ask The Beatles! "

<   --- The song " Who Are You " was written about Allen Klein . Enough Said !!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 1:09am
Tony (I'm an hard working, hard fighting, hard case with connections to London's underbelly) Sanchez also rates. A resentful, areshole who writes a funny, but bitchy book. He gets it all wrong too.
Keith at Brian's funeral? Pseudo, amateur psychoanalysis on Jagger, Jones, and Richards; a turd.
Then he updates it! Fuck me.
You can also rate every chicken shit a- hoole who laid the blame of Altamont at the Stones door. Crosby, although he sort of recanted. Let's not upset Barger and the Angels. And worst still Rock (fucking) Scully.
What a weasel, wanker, coward he was over something he championed until it all went tits up.
A.E.Hotchner, and that awful piece of trash; 'The Rolling Stones And The Death Of The Sixties."
Yeah right! Altamont wasn't the death of the sixties. Was Cinncinatti the death of the 70s? That unpronounceable scandanavian concert that Pearl Jam played the death of the 90s. Altamont is always some dickheads prologue to his, or her's wanking account of their own poxy, loss of some hippie dream that was always a joke, even to an eight year old kid like me. Utopia my arse. DECCA big style. Stealing ideas from the band after they signed with Atlantic. 'Stone Age', Gimme Shelter(now that was totally misleading;) the cover, front and back, made it look like a follow up to 'YA YAs', to the uninitiated.
Reissuing Beggars with the intended, graffitied lav wall cover that they vetoed in '68 in '84 just to prove what twats, what greedy money obsessed bastards they were, and still are. End of rant. Oh! I still think a 30 second boogie woogie piece on 'Dirty Work' dedicated to Stu was really low. so sorry to say the guys themselves were often disloyal, and greedy. Treatment of Mick Taylor; Terrible. Even tyrannical.

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:50am
An interesting obituary on Allen Klein, manager of The Stones and The Beatles, among others.

By Neil McCormick Music Last updated: July 6th, 2009

2 Comments Comment on this article

Last week, I was talking to an acquaintance of mine, a rock critic who also writes obituaries (which is perhaps not such an unusual career combination, given the low life expectancy of most rock stars). I asked whether he prepares his obituaries in advance. “Only Allen Klein’s”, he replied. “I hate that man so much, it gives me pleasure to write his obituary.”

Well, he finally got to put his work to its proper use. Klein, a former manager of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones amongst others, passed away on the 4th of July, aged 77, from complications of Alzheimers. And while one does not wish to speak ill of the dead, I imagine there may have been the quite clinking of champagne glasses in the private quarters of surviving members of the greatest bands that ever walked the earth. I don’t suppose Klein himself would be particularly bothered by that thought. Indeed, he might have enjoyed it. He appeared to delight in his bad reputation. For many years, Klein displayed on his desk a parody of the 23rd psalm: ‘Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of evil, I have no fear, as I am the biggest bastard in the valley.”

The many obituaries will outline the salient details of his career, but in rock myth he will be remembered as the prototypical untrustworthy and self-serving manager. Or, as Pete Townsend of The Who described him, “the awesome rock-leech Godfather.”

He was a tough negotiator, who (initially at least) succeeded in garnering record advances and improved royalty rates for his artists. But somehow, amidst complex paperwork and obscure holding companies, he ended up owning the rights to many of their recordings, and almost always ended up in litigation with his former charges. Dismissed by the Rolling Stones in 1970, he was famously chased down the corridor of the Savoy Hotel by an incensed Mick Jagger screaming “Where’s my ****ing money!?!” He presided over the bitter and litigious break-up of The Beatles, after gaining management control of three quarters of the group (Lennon, Harrison and Starr) in the wake of Brian Epstein’s death. McCartney declined to put his name on the contract during the signing ceremony, turning up at the studio the next day with a new song containing the couplet: “You never give me your money / You only give me your funny paper.” McCartney eventually sued Klein and his band mates to escape the contract, one of more than 40 lawsuits occupying Klein’s time by 1972. But perhaps of more interest to music fans is the number of times Klein appears in song, none of which could be construed as flattering. Alongside The Beatles ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’, he is said to feature cryptically in George Harrison’s ‘Beware of Darkness’ and The Who’s ‘Who Are You’ and is certainly the subject of John Lennon’s poisonous 1974 song ‘Steel And Glass’ about a sinister wheeler dealer: 'Your teeth are clean, but your mind is capped / You leave your smell like an alley cat.'

In 1979, Klein was sentenced to two months in jail for tax evasion, a case that centered on his dubious behaviour around George Harrison’s Concert For Bangladesh triple album, with Klein delaying the release of funds to Unicef for years.

His managerial reputation was so poisoned by conflicts and law suits that his later years he was restricted to managing his lucrative catalogue of 1960s recordings, including many of The Rolling Stones tracks that he would repeatedly release in compilation form. He was notorious in the offices of PolyGram and Universal in London as a voice on the end of a phone, barking orders. I only once had any dealings with him myself, but they demonstrated the sinister reach of his empire, and his control freak tendencies. Klein’s ABKCO company held the rights to the Rolling Stones Rock’n’Roll Circus film and album (featuring performances by The Stones, Lennon and Marianne Faithful, amongst others) and, for reasons I have never understood, he refused to release it or even allow it to be viewed until 1996. Even when its release was finally scheduled, for some reason Klein decided he did not want it to be shown to critics, which obviously made things difficult for review purposes. I was writing about it for The Telegraph, and so, defying instruction, the UK press officer arranged a private screening, just for the two of us. It was all very hush hush, or so we thought. Half way through the screening, the press officer was summoned out for a phone call. He returned somewhat shaken. It had Klein himself on the phone from New York, chewing him out and demanding to know who he was showing the film to. It was such a mean spirited and actually counter-productive intervention (after all, the film was going to be available to the general public the following week), it seemed to serve no purpose other than to demonstrate Klein’s paranoia or allow him to assert a kind of bullying omnipotence, suggesting that he still had his network of allies or underlings in the company, sneakily reporting back to him.

Klein may no longer have been a significant power in the music business, but that didn’t stop him apparently enjoying making trouble. His last headline grabbing incident was seizing 100 per cent of the royalties of The Verve’s ‘Bittersweet Symphony’, over the use of a sample from an orchestral recording of The Rolling Stones ‘The Last Time’. According to Verve bassist, Simon Jones, “We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing. They rang up and said, ‘We want 100% or take it out of the shops.’ ” It was arguably songwriter Richard Ashcroft’s finest moment, a number one hit all over the world, but he never earned a penny from it. The publisher rubbed salt into the wound by leasing the track for use in Nike and Vauxhall commercials. Ashcroft, however, remained admirably philosophical. He said he was tempted to take the sample out, but didn’t want to ruin the record. “It was a perfect piece of pop art with the sentiment that ‘you’re a slave to money then you die’ … and they all came running.”

Discussing his reputation, Klein once remarked: "Artists fuck groupies, I fuck the artists." Perhaps that’s what should be written on his headstone

https://www.facebook.com/brianjoneslivesforever/posts/556494787716690
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:55am by Tom »  

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 8:07am
Sam Cutler's take on Tom Keylock's involvement in Brian's death:

http://samcutler.tumblr.com/post/187471030/who-killed-brian-jones

"On the night that Brian died there were several men in the pool with him. One was Frank Thorogood, the friend of Tom Keylock, whom Keylock had hired to do building work at Brian’s house. Along with Thorogood there were two building workers who were employed by Thorogood. All three men were staying at the farm at Brian’s expense. Then there was Keylock. A witness who arrived at Brian’s farm whilst the events were in progress,describes a man  holding down Brian’s head under the water in the investigator’s report. The witness (not one of the two women at the farm) was approached by a man (not Keylock) who threatened him and he  and his girlfriend who were personal friends of Brian’s left the scene as  quickly as possible. They immediately fled overseas and were never sought out by  the British police"

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:32pm:
Fuck Klein, I won't buy this bullcrap I don't give a fucking shit for it

GRRR!

he's hardly going to financially benefit from it, for fucks sake!

Looks an interesting book, although reviews have been mixed.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Kilroy wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:25pm:
1? ,2 and 3 yes
But the other don't seem to rate in the villain category!
They Seem to be just bad Decisions Business wise.
Klein is a question to me? Didn't They knew he was Scum Bag but used him as he used them and others. Klein fucked every one ask The Beatles!
But I still say 1 2 3
The / any government will always fuck us if it to their advantage.
Decca? dumb Decision but.........
Bianca, a wife, a women and a women in love with the man, Mick Jagger and the snake Give me a break, Mick's fault
tough question.
IMO

Klein made the Beatles richer than they were before. THEN he fucked them. Lennon's idiocy and blind faith around that time didnt exactly make his job any harder.

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 11:49pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 7:25pm:
Agree with Thorogood and Keylock. Klein and the British establishment in the late 60's are honourable mentions too.

For me though, its Michael Cohl. Although saying that, the band were culpable in allowing it.

Whereas the main dynamic in the band in the first half of their career was Jagger-Richards, it more and more became Jagger-Cohl until he was replaced a few years ago. The damage done to what creative instincts they had left by that stage was irreparable, though.  Theyve settled for resting on their laurels for a couple of decades.

Decca holding up a record release for two months is of no significance.  Bianca? Hardly. Mick always was a shameless social climber. Something or other was always going to come between them at some point.  Heroin and alcohol on Keith's part were both far bigger factors. Ended up prematurely diminishing his creativity after the mid 90s.

Great point Gazza. Or should I say all of what you said Is bang on. When I was young we worked for the Daily Mail.
We were caretakers, caterers, and groundsmen. It was originally Lord Northcliff's old country gaff. I was exposed to a lot of journalists who were privy to a lot of what happened at Cotchford farm but, they had to keep shtum(quiet.) Keylock was bad, bad news. He had some very dodgy connections both sides of the Thames.
Thourogood did it. It was accidental but, Keylock got rid of everyone there that night.
Bianca? How on earth could some people see her as a villain? You're dead right Jagger was a social sycophant,sorry people but, that's the truth. A case of Jagger growing bored 5 minutes after fucking anything on two legs.
How about Ry Cooder? Boo bloody hoo they nicked every lick I laid on 'em. According to him he wrote Let It Bleed.
Have you listened to a Cooder album? Oh please! I'd rather pull my toe nails out with pliers.
And; I'll get smashed for this. Anita and Jagger, and that fucked up lunatic Donald Cammel.Fucking your best friend's lady, the guy who made Jagger what he is. That could have ended the Stones, killed 'em stone dead right there and then.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 12:32am
How about Mick and Keith for what they did to Ian Stewart, Brian, and more recently to Mick Taylor. The one with Stu was the worst of all and sort of revealed what type of people Mick and Keith were and are. And not one mention in Crossfire Hurricane.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 1:16am
The Wick wrote on Jul 1st, 2015 at 12:32am:
How about Mick and Keith for what they did to Ian Stewart, Brian, and more recently to Mick Taylor. The one with Stu was the worst of all and sort of revealed what type of people Mick and Keith were and are. And not one mention in Crossfire Hurricane.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. 30 seconds of boogie woogie piano at the end of dirty(dog) shit. Zeppelin appreciated him more. Boogie with Stu. Yeah! They really shit on Stu in my opinion. He lived around the corner from my Gran's. Once or twice the old van would be hidden badly in the drive.
To be totally honest I would never want to meet the Stones, apart from dodging meetings with celebs,(what can you say? I love your records?) I loved that goal you scored in 1999.
They hear that shit everyday.
Celebs are best left alone. And I think despite being the business musically, they'd be total arseholes as people. You only have to read about Keith's behaviour in front of Patti's family in 1981, celebs become like spoiled children, their every whim is catered for. No I never have desired to have a chat with any of them. Charlie might be alright but, he always seems so bored with it all.
As for Brian, well; he was his own worst enemy. You can't blame Jagger and Richards for what happened to Brian. I sang in bands for thirty years, someone always fucks up. You can't babysit a fuck up 24/7. I've lost good friends just as the Stones lost Brian, it's terrible, but it's their own bloody fault.
Brian was on borrowed time anyway. Check out the coroner's verdict on the state of his body when he died.
Mick Taylor? Oh, absolutely. When they lost him, they lost direction, and some of the most beautiful guitar ever. I'm surprised he even bothers to play with them as a guest today. 1991- and Taylor is playing in some shit, hillbilly, toilet pub for a 15 quid admission; it's five minutes down the road from me. Fucking Hellfire! In a town that isn't even on a fucking map. Population; about 2500!!!! All a bunch of tossers. "Who the fuck is Mick Taylor?" That was so fucking sad that I realised that getting anywhere the Stones is bad ju-ju. I await the slagging I shall now receive for daring to express the uncomfortable truth about Jagger and Richards. And as for Woody; Gawd! He is just a fucking piss-head wanker.
Should never have been so blase' with Taylor. He could've made them a true musical force after IORR. If he'd been given more control, their LPs would've been sensational, Some Girls included.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 11:35pm
FotiniD wrote on Jun 25th, 2015 at 8:07am:
Sam Cutler's take on Tom Keylock's involvement in Brian's death:

http://samcutler.tumblr.com/post/187471030/who-killed-brian-jones

"On the night that Brian died there were several men in the pool with him. One was Frank Thorogood, the friend of Tom Keylock, whom Keylock had hired to do building work at Brian’s house. Along with Thorogood there were two building workers who were employed by Thorogood. All three men were staying at the farm at Brian’s expense. Then there was Keylock. A witness who arrived at Brian’s farm whilst the events were in progress,describes a man  holding down Brian’s head under the water in the investigator’s report. The witness (not one of the two women at the farm) was approached by a man (not Keylock) who threatened him and he  and his girlfriend who were personal friends of Brian’s left the scene as  quickly as possible. They immediately fled overseas and were never sought out by  the British police"

[size=72][/I read Cutler's book just this year. It wasn't a bad read actually. What I really wanna read is Anna Wolin's book released in 1984. Maybe someone here has read it. GAZZA?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)