Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I've got the blues Difficulties (Read 1,747 times)
riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
I've got the blues Difficulties
Jun 13th, 2015 at 1:55pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
They seems  to have difficulties playing " I've got the blues" , even in 1971 they were not comfortable with it ?
i guess they will play it during this tour but who knows !!!

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: I've got the blues Difficulties
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:16am
They only played it at the Marquee in 1971, after the tour ended.  It was never played again until Hartford in 1999.

Quite a few songs were only tried once or twice in 1971 before being dropped.

The thing to remember though is that in 1971 they were only playing for about an hour and were mostly playing songs from several albums that they hadnt played before in the UK. This was the first time theyd played UK dates outside London for five years (Hyde Park plus a couple of dates in London ballrooms at Christmas '69 being their only UK dates in that time) and 'Sticky Fingers' didnt even come out until about a month after the tour had ended.

If you were a UK fan, unless you'd seen the Stones in Hyde Park in 1969, the only song you'd probably seen them play live before that was in their 1971 set was 'Satisfaction'.  So they didnt really feel the need to rehearse or perform that many of the new songs.

It was excellent in 1999. I was at that Hartford show and it was an unforgettable moment. Saw them do it again at Shepherds Bush about ten weeks later - I think that was the last performance of it until the Fonda Theatre club show last month.

I think they'll do all the SF songs on the stadium tour eventually. Cant be too many left now that they havent tried yet.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:26am
They need to play them all
B side included...

They seem skeered of their past prowess
From the start I thought it was the Fingers tour.

The shows are fantastic though

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 12:01am
Gazza wrote on Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:16am:
They only played it at the Marquee in 1971, after the tour ended.  It was never played again until Hartford in 1999.

The thing to remember though is that in 1971 they were only playing for about an hour and were mostly playing songs from several albums that they hadnt played before in the UK. This was the first time theyd played UK dates outside London for five years (Hyde Park plus a couple of dates in London ballrooms at Christmas '69 being their only UK dates in that time) and 'Sticky Fingers' didnt even come out until about a month after the tour had ended.

If you were a UK fan, unless you'd seen the Stones in Hyde Park in 1969, the only song you'd probably seen them play live before that was in their 1971 set was 'Satisfaction'.  So they didnt really feel the need to rehearse or perform that many of the new songs.

It was excellent in 1999. I was at that Hartford show and it was an unforgettable moment. Saw them do it again at Shepherds Bush about ten weeks later - I think that was the last performance of it until the Fonda Theatre club show last month.

I think they'll do all the SF songs on the stadium tour eventually. Cant be too many left now that they havent tried yet.

Sister Morphine needs to get put into the rotation. I think it was the Voodoo tour he last time they did it. But I heard it and thought it was great.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 10:29am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 12:01am:

Sister Morphine needs to get put into the rotation. I think it was the Voodoo tour he last time they did it. But I heard it and thought it was great.

They did it on no security, it's on the live album. I think in a quite recent interview Mick said that I got the blues is a lot harder than it sounds.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:04am
Harder than it sounds?
Otis R could've done it...

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 4:54pm
I'm positive it was one of the songs that even Keith singled out as one of his own personal favourites. I must admit it didn't exactly set me on fire back in the day, but as I've grown older I tend to enjoy it more and more.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 6:49pm
munichhilton wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:04am:
Harder than it sounds?
Otis R could've done it...

I think he might have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlWjhci01U

and did it live too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUc17A0SNY

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Holden wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 10:29am:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 12:01am:

They did it on no security, it's on the live album. I think in a quite recent interview Mick said that I got the blues is a lot harder than it sounds.

Interesting. I've never known them to do a bad version of it yet.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 10:26pm
One of the problems they might have with "I Got the Blues" is extremely controlled tempo and pacing. Charlie said years ago in 'Modern Drummer' magazine that one of the hardest things to do was comp Al Jackson's feel on Stax/Volt songs, and I have to agree with him that it's very hard to get that precise feel, as Jackson had that great lag in his backbeat, even more so than Charlie had from '66 to roughly '73.

So the song -if they really wanted to do it justice, and not just play it as a "slow song" or ballad -  might not lend itself to stadium settings, where extreme restraint would be in order for that song.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 5:05pm
Hey there StonedinAustralia. This is right off thread I know but, I know you met Daniel back in 2003 when the Stones were in Adelaide but, did you stay in touch? He was such a nice guy and I lost all contact with him.
Please let me know if you know what became of him because he was very down the last time I spoke to him. Nice to see you're still around. Mofo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)