Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Petco Park, San Diego, CA, 05-24-15; setlist, pics, reviews, etc. (Read 23,825 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Petco Park, San Diego, CA, 05-24-15; setlist, pics, reviews, etc.
Reply #50 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:04pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

That's a pretty good 'Street Fighting Man'. Nice bit of guitar duelling about three minutes in (and a piano coda near the end, similar to the original version)

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:26pm
Nice review by Chris Epting in Ultimate Classic Rock

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-san-diego-concert-review/

Rolling Stones Satisfy in Epic Tour Opener — Concert Review
By Chris Epting May 25, 2015 2:16 PM

Rolling Stones Satisfy in Epic Tour Opener -- Concert Review
| By Chris Epting May 25, 2015 2:16 PM

Read More: Rolling Stones Satisfy in Epic Tour Opener -- Concert Review | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-san-diego-concert-review/?trackbac...

The Rolling Stones were the first band to ever play a concert at San Diego’s Petco Park back on 2005′s A Bigger Bang Tour, and they returned with a fury last night (May 24) to kick off this summer’s Zip Code Tour.

Any doubts as to whether the Stones could still fill a baseball stadium while delivering the sort of rarefied rock and roll circus that’s become their trademark were erased almost immediately when the band stormed the stage with a hungry, rugged version of  ”Jumpin’ Jack Flash” (see the above video).

Flanked on a massive stage by high-definition video towers and ushered in with a smoky hail of fireworks and colorful bursts, the band made it clear they were there not to merely trot out a nostalgic night of memories and reveries, but rather to remind a jam-packed house that they are still very much a force to be reckoned with.

The classics came hard and fast. “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll.” “All Down the Line.” “Tumbling Dice.” Mick Jagger, resplendent in a deep purple sequined jacket over a silky magenta top and black tights, remains an incalculable music force. Focused, determined and in strong voice, time and again he skipped, strutted and sashayed his way out the long runaway into a sea of hungry humanity, electrifying the masses both up close and far up into the rafters.

He seems impossible. Yet there he is. It’s not just his confidence of doing this for so long that makes Jagger such a master craftsman. It’s his understanding of what it requires. He exhorts, conducts and leads the crowd. But he teases it, too. He seduces it. He knows what people are paying for, in some case thousands of dollars, and he delivers what everyone wants and expects of him with passion and aplomb.

While the pretzel-thin Jagger does his thing out on the edge, punching the air and hypnotizing the believers, back at the main stage basecamp, of course, there are other forces at play. The wily Ron Wood, whose playing was especially sharp throughout the night, cavorted and bounced like a nervous child while his partner-in-musical-crime, Keith Richards, flashed bright white pirate grins, all the while holding down the riffs like some ghostly Lord of the Delta. Drummer Charlie Watts may be more iconic than any of them. Of all the Stones, he seems to have shifted the least since many first saw him on The Ed Sullivan Show. He is the most reliable. We can measure time against him. Watts is grayer now of course, but no less elegant, serious and in full command of the beat.

The band is punctuated with some sturdy and familiar faces including vocalists Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, a couple of solid sax players (though the late great Bobby Keys is sorely missed) and bassist Darryl Jones. But it’s the fearsome foursome that is the magnet of attention.

They did a mini-set from 1971’s Sticky Fingers to help promote an upcoming re-release, comprised of ”Bitch,” (for which they were joined by opener Gary Clark Jr.), “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” and the gentle, Japanese-tinged ode to the road, “Moonlight Mile.”

Richards took a turn on two numbers, “Slipping Away” and “Before They Make Me Run.” But for many it came down to the dyed-in-the-wool classics to get the juices fully flowing. We forget sometimes just how embedded some of those riffs are in our collective subconscious. No matter how many times we’ve heard them live, on record or on the radio, when the opening notes of “Honky Tonk Women,” “Street Fighting Man,” “Gimme Shelter” or “Brown Sugar” cascade over us, deep emotions are triggered and unleashed. Those songs are now part of our DNA. They affect our metabolism. And so a mass of humanity is reborn over the course of the cool summer night; throbbing, swaying and celebrating the sounds that raised us, got us drunk and took us down dark corners.

When Jagger begins blowing those first haunting notes of “Midnight Rambler” and Richards crunches the blues opera’s first cryptic chords, the stage becomes a jungle of sonic mayhem, blood-red and deep purple light. Keith Richards once said that to know the real Jagger, just listen to him play harp. And in those reedy breaths, he seems right. The true bluesman emerges throughout the 12-minute epic; mysterious, mythical and mercurial. At one point in the tune Jagger breaks out in a manic, alarming, twitching series of cathartic moves. He seems possessed by the music himself, just as we are. It’s a bonding moment.

But then the Bob Cole Conservatory Chamber Choir from California State University, Long Beach hits the angelic opening notes of the first encore, the stately, atmospheric “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” and it’s back to the grandeur and church-like atmosphere that Jagger seems especially in tune with. He clearly wants to celebrate, and so celebrate he does. That he will be 72 this summer means zero. When he breaks out in full sprint during “Brown Sugar” and makes it all the way from stage left to right in about 10 seconds, you realize it’s not about age. It’s about heart, energy and a force of will. It’s about the joy of watching arguably the greatest entertainer in modern history. It ended just around midnight and with the last strains of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” still rattling around the ballpark.
Forty years ago this summer, the Rolling Stones embarked on their now-legendary 1975 Tour of the Americas. A lot of the press back then wondered seriously if perhaps it was the last haul for a band that was then all of just 13 years old. And after all, Jagger was approaching his 32nd birthday.

Now, they are taking North America on yet another wild summer ride. Hours before the show, thousands wandered around the venue, sporting concert shirts that went back to the ’60s. Seniors, hipsters, 30-somethings, 40 and 50-somethings, millennials, teenagers, little kids; it is a cross-section and multi-racial communal tribe that is all-inclusive, just as it will be in all the other cities they play. They deny nobody.

And any talk of this being the last time or a thousand other tired cliches seem irrelevant. This is a band that is still performing at a peak level — one that every other band on the planet can learn from — that reaffirms, for two hours and 15 glorious minutes, not just the magic and mystery of music, but of life itself. They are just that much an inspiring force of nature. See them this summer. They are waiting to spoil you. And you’ll get what you need.

Rolling Stones Set List — Petco Park, San Diego, Calif., May 24, 2015
1. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
2. “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It)”
3. “All Down the Line”
4. “Tumbling Dice”
5. “Doom and Gloom”
6. “Bitch” (with Gary Clark, Jr.)
7. “Moonlight Mile”
8. “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking”
9. “Street Fighting Man”
10. “Honky Tonk Women”
11. “Slipping Away”
12. “Before They Make Me Run”
13. “Midnight Rambler”
14. “Miss You”
15. “Gimme Shelter”
16. “Start Me Up”
17. “Sympathy for the Devil”
18. “Brown Sugar”
Encore
19. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” (with the Bob Cole Conservatory Chamber Choir from California State University, Long Beach)
20. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”

Read More: Rolling Stones Satisfy in Epic Tour Opener -- Concert Review | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-san-diego-concert-review/?trackbac...
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2015 at 1:27pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #52 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Damn, those were great versions of Moonlight Mile and SFM!

Why did they drop SFM from their regular setlist? Too fast for the octogenarians in the crowd?  Mick doesn't like the lack of vocals towards the end? Look at how much fun Keef, Ronnie, and Charlie are having with the tune... they get to stretch out a bit and play up tempo.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #53 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:48pm
'Street Fighting Man' is apparently a song Mick doesnt like that much.

Easy to be blasé about a song when youve written so many great other ones I suppose, but its a number they still play live very well.  That's a terrific version.

... ... ...
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #54 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:53pm
The show was fantastic...the park was packed...and the whole band seemed to be having fun. Highlight for me: Moonlight Mile and Bitch.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #55 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:56pm
Gazza wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 1:26pm:

Our own Slavegirl there at 0:20 enjoyin' herself...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #56 - May 25th, 2015 at 1:57pm
Great pics even by your own high standards, Jini

Thanks for sharing them here.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #57 - May 25th, 2015 at 3:23pm
Cool for Slavegirl!

Jini, your pics are excellent! Everyone looks good, but RONNIE looks the best ~ he is healthy and happy so Sally agrees with him. Great! Keef looks happier than I've seen him look in a while. Great! MICK looks great but too thin, a few pounds more on him wouldn't hurt. Charlie is just the BEST! Barnard looks to be in fine form, as usual. Darryl and Lisa are professionals.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #58 - May 25th, 2015 at 3:53pm
BRAVO SV!!!

Another fine set of pictures!!
How do you do it time and time again?!?

Question about the show...how was the runway used? Was it just mick?
Did Keef and Ronny have their time on the catwalk??
A sax solo stroll for the new guy??
A Duet with Mick & The Divine Ms F?

IP Logged

captainglassback
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #59 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:08pm
Wow!!! Great pics.  Well done and thanks for posting SV.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #60 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:11pm
many thanks SV!!!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #61 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:17pm
Great pics and that was a really well written review Gazza found.  Exciting time, as usual, to be a Stones fan.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #62 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:09pm
mojoman wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 10:11am:
scl?
bluze?

did u guys make it to a bar down in mexico last night?

No. But I hit almost every bar in a 10 block radius next to the stadium. Interesting stuff Ronnie!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #63 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:23pm
wonderful photography, SV!! - as always!!

Enjoyed Chris' article too..

onward to Saturday..

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #64 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:23pm
Just got home. Fun weekend. Really enjoyed soaking up the Stones frenzy around town for 2 days. It was great to meet up with SV/Jini. Every bit as nice as previously advertised. Can't say I was crazy about the venue. Very packed. They seemed unprepared for large crowds. Long lines everywhere. They also might want to tell people they're going to have an obstructed view. Especially when you pay over $200 a pop for them. But, sound was good. Video screens worked well. (Spent a lot of time watching those) The band played very well. Mick's voice was very strong. Good opener in Gary Clark Jr. Dude can shred. Little surprised they brought him out for Bitch. Thought they would pick a more blues oriented song. Highlights for me were Moonlight Mile, Before they Make Me Run, Street Fighting Man. Setlist is what it is. Predictable, safe, lacking in creativity. Kind of like it has for 50 years.  War horses couldn't drag me away You rock! Waka Jawaka Let's go get drunk Better seen on weed! Who stole this one? (Seriously) Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #65 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:48pm
Thanks for all the great reports and pictures !

Same old set list, but they seem to be playing well and Mick and Keith look happy together, which is always a good sign.

I miss the buzz of walking into a stadium and seeing that tiny drum kit. Anyone who's going.....enjoy the tour !

sc uk

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #66 - May 25th, 2015 at 6:45pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 5:23pm:
Just got home. Fun weekend. Really enjoyed soaking up the Stones frenzy around town for 2 days. It was great to meet up with SV/Jini. Every bit as nice as previously advertised. Can't say I was crazy about the venue. Very packed. They seemed unprepared for large crowds. Long lines everywhere. They also might want to tell people they're going to have an obstructed view. Especially when you pay over $200 a pop for them. But, sound was good. Video screens worked well. (Spent a lot of time watching those) The band played very well. Mick's voice was very strong. Good opener in Gary Clark Jr. Dude can shred. Little surprised they brought him out for Bitch. Thought they would pick a more blues oriented song. Highlights for me were Moonlight Mile, Before they Make Me Run, Street Fighting Man. Setlist is what it is. Predictable, safe, lacking in creativity. Kind of like it has for 50 years.  War horses couldn't drag me away You rock! Waka Jawaka Let's go get drunk Better seen on weed! Who stole this one? (Seriously) Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

He played 'Bitch' with them at the first Hyde Park show in 2013 - although he did 'Going Down' with them at one of the US shows (Boston)

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #67 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Great clips, pictures and reviews. They remain the greatest.

Bring on Pittsburgh!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #68 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:19pm
Great pictures Sweet Virginia!!! Thank you

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #69 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:30pm
Thank you Sweet Virginia for the Gr8 Photos. And being part of Spoiling Me !  Every 1 needs to be spoiled occasionally.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #70 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:48pm
Great solo by Keith during HTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaVdPFLOuM

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2015 at 8:39pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #71 - May 25th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Fantastic pictures SweetVirgina, can't decide which to use as a header

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

Thanks a lot!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #72 - May 25th, 2015 at 9:56pm
Yeah SV should def be hired as a full time photographer.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #73 - May 25th, 2015 at 10:49pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 8:41pm:
Fantastic pictures SweetVirgina, can't decide which to use as a header

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

Thanks a lot!

Use them all!

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #74 - May 25th, 2015 at 11:33pm
Here's a link to my vid of gimme shelter:
https://youtu.be/aSdurog75c0

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)