Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jagger talks about tour/rehearsals/plans for the elephants (Read 1,396 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Jagger talks about tour/rehearsals/plans for the elephants
May 10th, 2015 at 9:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/05/10/interview-mick-ja...

Mick Jagger is telling me about the elephants at the Nashville Zoo, and I'm not sure how to respond.

"I just wonder whether Juno the elephant, who's going to be moved to Florida, is going to be back in time for my visit," he says.

Is he joking? I shouldn't laugh, I think to myself. What if Mick Jagger, unbeknownst to me, is serious about African wildlife?

I pause a bit too long. Mick breaks the silence.

"I'm just kidding," he says. "I happened to see that in your paper. Apparently, you're moving all of your elephants to Florida while you improve the facilities in their Nashville habitat."

Though he's calling from London, the Rolling Stones frontman is thumbing through a very recent edition of The Tennessean. I hadn't gotten a chance to read that elephant story yet. Instead, I'd spent my morning getting ready for a phone call from one of the most iconic musicians of the last 50 years.

We're supposed to be exclusively talking about his band's upcoming tour stop in Nashville — June 17 at LP Field — which is poised to be the biggest rock and roll concert Music City has ever seen. Instead, we're starting our 10-minute chat with a discussion of pachyderms, and I can hear his smile getting bigger as he gives me the bullet points of the story.

After 53 years with the Stones, and thousands of interviews just like this one, it really seems like Mick Jagger, somehow, is still having fun.

Country influence

"I've been dancing around dance studio rooms," he says of his tour preparations. "It's hilarious."

He was set to meet up with his bandmates for their first rehearsals last week. That's also the time when they go through their long list of rock classics ("Satisfaction," "Start Me Up" and "Gimme Shelter," for starters) and figure out what they'll be playing on this tour.

Jagger says they might throw in several songs from their 1971 album "Sticky Fingers," which is getting a deluxe reissue next month. In that case, it's good timing that they're playing their first Nashville concert in 13 years, as the album includes "Wild Horses" and "Dead Flowers" — two songs with a strong country stamp.

"I used to listen to Hank Snow," Jagger says. "They (country artists) made records that were very popular, you know? They were pop hits. We used to do covers of them when we used to rehearse, George Jones and these kinds of people. ... Everyone heard these records, including us, and they were songs that everyone knew. So it was very hard to avoid the influence of country music in the early days of rock."

Also tying "Sticky Fingers" to Nashville: the unmistakable saxophone of the late Bobby Keys. The band's longtime sideman called the Nashville area home for more than 20 years, and died in December after a lengthy illness. Jagger called Keys "a really big guy for us in the band."

"He's going to be really missed. It's the first time we're touring in America without him. It'll be sad not to have him there, but he'll be with us there. We're thinking of him."

Years of Nashville visits

Jagger has heard that Nashville is booming these days, and he's looking forward to seeing how the town has changed since the band's last visit in 2002. He also remembers a few of Music City's old standbys.

"You've got a classical copy of a Greek temple, haven't you got in Nashville that's quite famous?" he asks. "I don't think I saw it last time I was there, so that's something for me to go and see. A bit of culture there."

The Parthenon is one of the rare Nashville attractions that actually was around back when the Rolling Stones first came to town 50 years ago. A 1965 gig at Municipal Auditorium was among their first-ever concerts in the south. Jagger's first visit to the land of blues and country has stuck with him.

"Nashville was very small," he recalls. "And I remember, when I got there, thinking how small it was. A lot of these towns were big names, but small places. ... They were very friendly places, intimate and friendly, and hopefully that feeling hasn't been lost."

We'll see how intimate it feels when the Rolling Stones take the stage in Nashville's 69,000-seat football stadium, but at least there should be quite a few friendly faces there to greet them.

Jagger says he really likes playing stadiums, and seeing fans of all ages in the audience. He's looking forward to spending one of the band's summer nights in Music City.

"It'll be a nice, warm evening."

The Rolling Stones perform at Nashville's LP Field on Wednesday, June 17. Tickets are $65-$350 and on sale now at Ticketmaster.

50 years of The Rolling Stones in Nashville

1965: In November, the band makes its Music City debut at Municipal Auditorium. Its most recent single was "Get Off of My Cloud" and "As Tears Go By" would be released the following month.

1972: The Stones return to Municipal Auditorium in June with quite the opening act: Stevie Wonder. One month earlier, they'd released the raw rock masterpiece "Exile On Main St."

1997: 25 years pass before Mick, Keith and company return to Music City. They make up for it with a massive show at Vanderbilt Stadium on Oct. 26 as they tour in support of "Bridges to Babylon."

2002: The "40 Licks" tour brings the band back to Nashville, this time to Gaylord Entertainment Center (now Bridgestone Arena).

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2015 at 9:44am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Jagger talks about tour/rehearsals/plans for the elephants
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2015 at 11:10am
Thanks for posting this.  I know some good elephant jokes.  This is good, Jagger is in a contemplative mode.  Exciting times, yet again, to be a Stones fan.  They're the best, we're the best.  We make them excel, they make us excel.  "For they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God."  See John 12:43.  A personal choice we all make, whether we know it or not, for purposes of faculative symbiosis.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2015 at 2:03pm
Moonie you are my hero.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2015 at 3:56am
He should've talked about how they collectively came up with a tour idea that was made for one reason and one reason only: to fleece fans of this band and solidify their placement as the greediest band on the planet. Want a good seat? Fuck you, pay $1750. They have more money than God, yet this is how they treat the fans. They will cease to exist in the next ten years. That's a fact. Throw the fans a bone? Fuck no. Take em for as much money as they can. Disgusting.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint Ouch! Oh no! not you again

Kiss my undercover ass Stinky post
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015 at 4:20am by leonid »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2015 at 8:33am
"  ..........for purposes of faculative symbiosis.  "

<  ---- I just took one of those about ten minutes ago   ...... now I am eating a banana .

* phew ! *

" I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!   " 

Stinky'kins ©

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2015 at 9:27am
It's a terrible interview. Outside of the Bobby Keys statement, the rest of it is instantly forgettable.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)