Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brian's last photo session (Read 900 times)
paulspendel
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Brian's last photo session
Apr 21st, 2015 at 10:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

An insider, wanting to stay anonymous, recalls Brian's last photo session with Ethan Russell and the Stones.

I have to guess it must have been circa spring 1969 that all five R. Stones were ever together in one & the same place -- the occasions, (1) a photo of them lying flat on the ground @ St. Catherine's Dock in East London; and (2) the photo you see on the front jacket of Through The Past Darkly. These were two ideas I had had and had put to Ethan Russell, who completely miscarried the first idea in terms of what I had had in mind (a white backdrop so as to give the illusion of guys floating). Anyway, as for (2), the photo-session took place in a photo-studio in a mews just 100 yards or so from South Kensington Underground Station; and again, as per both occasions, I had had to telephone Brian warning him he HAD to attend (or he'd find himself out of the band). During the course of (2) there was a break -- a pause of some kind for a half hour or so -- and Charlie asked me if I didn't want to join him for a pint of beer at a local pub. So off we set and as we walked up the mews I looked around to discover, to my amazement (and mild horror), that we were being followed by the four other members of the band (and no one else). My discomfort was simply that -- I did not fit, I was a 'gooseberry' (as one says in UK) in that situation, yet I could hardly back out. So at risk of being mistaken by members of the drinking public as one of the band (yeah, I too had long hair), I promptly adopted the persona of man-servant and dealt with all matters at the bar, ordering the drinks and taking them over to the table where the five Stones sat.

There shortly followed a bizarre episode -- after a few minutes of stunned silence (don't forget, the band were [over-]dressed for the occasion), a small group of customers started snickering, very audibly, and 'taking the piss'. Whereupon Keith smashed down his glass of beer loudly on the table, thereby commanded silence, and simply stared those guys down with an angry look on his face. Mind, this story does not concern Brian as such, but I tell it because I am as good as certain that that was the very last occasion when the five members of the band were all together as one. I might also mention that, by then, Brian was showing signs of incipient obesity, and looked pretty wrecked by comparison to his younger self. And what perhaps has been overlooked with all the talk about drugs is that he had become habituated to vodka -- he would attend meetings only if he was pretty assured (by Jo B.) that there'd be a bottle of vodka there (that he would consume with the pure purple grape-juice which JB always kept in stock in the office).

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: Brian's last photo session
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 5:41pm
incipient obesity ? uh huh

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Re: Brian's last photo session
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 6:37am

Visual aid.  Someone wrote Jagger was in a wig here.

I think the Cotchford Farm shots with Brian in the US-flag shirt were later, but of course the other Stones were not present.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2015 at 6:38am by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)