Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bill Wyman to release "Back to Basics" on June 22, 2015. (Read 5,330 times)
Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Bill Wyman to release "Back to Basics" on June 22, 2015.
Apr 15th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Sorry if already posted

Back To Basics does exactly what it says on the tin. It is unashamedly stripped back. The snappy lyrics are refreshingly audible and the instrumentation is clean, subtle and accomplished.

Back To Basics wears its influences on its sleeve – Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, JJ Cale – and there's more than a passing nod to Bill's own English background. It is that rare thing, a meld of styles and genres that actually work together - uplifting in a jaunty, dancey way and pensive in a bluesy, narrative way.

As might be expected from one of the world's best known bass players Back To Basics drives along with a rhythmic muscularity, and then slows the pace for more autobiographical lyric and melody. It is an album that warrants repeated play. It is also an album that's long overdue…

Bill Wyman's last solo UK album, Bill Wyman, was released in 1982. Back To Basics comprises only his fourth UK solo release. But Bill has not been idle of course. 31 years in the Rolling Stones, author of seven learned books, globally exhibited photographer, metal detecting expert with his own brand of metal detector, producer, composer for film and TV and founder of the very successful Rhythm Kings who release CDs and tour regularly - he has had a pretty full calendar. It was only when archiving old demos last year he realised he had around 60 songs he'd never released. He chose three songs that needed reworking and did just that. He put them together with a bunch of brand new songs and went into his studio to record them.

The CD comprises 12 tracks in total, eight of which are new songs. Musicians joining Bill in the studio include long time collaborator/guitarist Terry Taylor, Guy Fletcher (Mark Knopfler), Graham Broad and Robbie McIntosh while co-production credit goes to Andy Wright (Jeff Beck, Eurythmics, Simply Red).

On Bill Wyman's Back To Basics you get music that's the real deal...and you're all the better for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Basics-Bill-Wyman/dp/B00VTHKWIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&...
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2015 at 6:15pm by Tom »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Bill Wyman to release "Back to Basics" on June 22, 2015.
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Thanks, Tom.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 6:38pm
8 new songs by Bill...that is really something!!

I wonder when they were written. Before the reunion? Years ago and just arranged?
Even though Bill's last solo effort was in 1982...I find it funny that the retired Stone will beat Keith to a solo release this year.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 7:59pm
I find it funny too. Why now? Cashing in on the Stones tour-hype or His artistic creative spirit busted loose after 33 years! If someone buys it, give us a review.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:30pm
He's released plenty of albums since 1982 - all with The Rhythm Kings

This is just his first UK solo album since then. The only other solo album he released was "Stuff" in the early 90s, but it wasnt released in the UK or US. 

He's been far more active in terms of studio records since he left them than his former band have been. If he felt the need to cash in, he could have rejoined them or toured with them years ago!
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015 at 5:25pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Still have my copy of Monkey Grip Glue!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:30pm
OK Gazza, so how familiar are you with Bill's solo efforts? I never heard any of them. Please rate them as to the few best just in case I ever see them in a store someplace.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 8:13pm
Bitch wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:30pm:
OK Gazza, so how familiar are you with Bill's solo efforts? I never heard any of them. Please rate them as to the few best just in case I ever see them in a store someplace.

Here is Bill's catalog rated by Allmusic...

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bill-wyman-mn0000078802/discography

I remember seeing his video for Je Suis un Rock Star pop up sometimes on weird shows like Uncle Floyd and other UHF channels and stuff...dont recall if MTV ever played them...
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015 at 8:19pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 7:24pm
Bitch wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:30pm:

The solo albums I dont care for much. the self titled 1982 album isnt bad though.

His most enjoyable solo projects are with The Rhythm Kings. Pleasant enough, fun stuff.

A band I've still never seen in concert, though.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 10:16pm
Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 11:16pm
Gazza, you don't even dig this gem from his first album (with Danny Kortchmar on guitar and Dr. John on piano)?

Hilarious, slinky, nasty lil song with an even more hilarious video, especially Bill being Bill and all...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 5:16pm
[color=#000000][/color]Wyman should stick to hamburgers, and trading in outdated wives and girlfriends. Oh! Maybe an itemised account of how many women and teenyboppers he screwed back in the day. Oh wait...he did that didn't he? Stone Alone. It was like a cricket almanac or something. Yes Bill you were such a stud. Si Si Si Jeu Se un rock star, bollocks!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:53pm
gypsymofo60 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 5:16pm:
[color=#000000][/color]Wyman should stick to hamburgers, and trading in outdated wives and girlfriends. Oh! Maybe an itemised account of how many women and teenyboppers he screwed back in the day. Oh wait...he did that didn't he? Stone Alone. It was like a cricket almanac or something. Yes Bill you were such a stud. Si Si Si Jeu Se un rock star, bollocks!

Not a big Bill Wyman fan, I take it?

Still, compared to Keith's full-of-shit-idness, Bill seems like he has a colon cleanse every other day.

Plus he laid down some miraculous bass lines with that band he used to play with.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2015 at 3:09pm
Autographed copy of the CD available for pre-order through Badlands :

http://shop.badlands.co.uk/Bill-Wyman-Basics-Autographed-Edition/dp/B00XP3PPX6

... ... ...
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #14 - May 29th, 2015 at 11:35am
The first single

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 11:35am:
The first single

The lyrics... ah... leave a lot to be desired. Same goes for the "singing."

Still, I'm buying this album!

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - May 30th, 2015 at 10:33pm
Shattered Stone wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 5:37pm:
The lyrics... ah... leave a lot to be desired. Same goes for the "singing."

Still, I'm buying this album!

Ain't that the truth. Although Bill's in a different league, he has the same problem as Lenny Kravitz. He needs a lyricist and he should use some of the wonderful singers he has with the Rhythm Kings for a song like this. The music is fantastic though. As horrible as his vocals are, I love that he still sings in the Souff London accent he grew up with. Only Mick can pull off other accents with any integrity.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 7:32am
http://www.clashmusic.com/features/basically-bill-wyman

Basically, Bill Wyman
Ex-Stone rolls alone…again!
ClashMusic / Features
/ 15 · 06 · 2015

The erratic and convoluted machinations of Axl Rose in the wake of Guns N’ Roses’ 1993 album, ‘The Spaghetti Incident?’ meant that it took 15 years for its follow-up, ‘Chinese Democracy’ to finally see the light of day. It wasn’t worth the wait. Kevin Shields, meanwhile, spent the best part of 21 years crafting and perfecting ‘mbv’, the long-awaited continuation of the My Bloody Valentine legacy after ‘Loveless’, which finally dropped in 2013. Oh, and The Eagles? They were 28 years between ‘The Long Run’ in 1979 and ‘Long Road Out Of Eden’ in 2007 – it took a quarter of a century for them to get their shit together and squeeze all their egos into the studio one final time.

Thankfully for Bill Wyman, the 33-year-gap between his last solo record and his new album, ‘Back To Basics’, has been relatively trauma-free. Well, in terms of the music, anyway…

Since officially leaving The Rolling Stones in 1993, Bill has largely hung up his bass in favour of many varied pursuits outside of music (as he shall explain), with the exception of performing and touring with his blues collective, The Rhythm Kings. A flash of inspiration from recently unearthed demos, however, impelled him to revive his solo offerings.

‘Back To Basics’ suits the 78-year-old well. Inspired by the stark simplicity of Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen and JJ Cale, his fourth album presents 12 stripped-back songs that fuse blues, rock and roll, and R&B; a combination of newly-written songs, those that evolved from the rediscovered demos, and a handful mined and reworked from Bill’s own back catalogue. Each pushes his deep, gruff voice to the fore, his distinctly English tone injecting an idiosyncratic theme to proceedings.

Clash sat with Bill in his West London Stones-themed restaurant, Sticky Fingers, to discuss his return to recording, his model ex-girlfriends, and his OCD tendencies.

- - -

In the 33 years since your last album (1982’s ‘Bill Wyman’), you’ve focused your time on your various other talents and interests. What part does music play in your life now?
Well, it’s not the complete thing as it was in the Stones - but even then, I did do other things when I was in the Stones. I did do photography, and I did movie scores, and I worked on other people’s albums and things like that, but since I left I’ve just gone into a mass of stuff. I’ve written seven books on a variety of subjects - not only music. I’ve done archaeology and found Roman sites and Iron Age coins and things, and opened special events for the big museums in England. I’ve done photo exhibitions around the world. I’ve raised a new family of three teenage daughters. I’ve got the restaurant [Sticky Fingers] going - 26th anniversary last week, which is amazing. And so it goes on.

And then I‘ve got The Rhythm Kings, which I’ve had for 17 years, and done about eight albums with them, so I’ve been pretty busy. So I didn’t really have time to do another solo album, and it was one of the last things I thought about, but last year, songs started appearing and then I thought, ‘Oh, what the hell. I’ll do it.’ And then I thought, ‘Am I too old to get into this again?’ (Laughs) But then I thought, well, the Stones are still doing it; blues artists played ’til they dropped - so do classical musicians, poets, writers, sculptors and everybody, so what the hell.

Tell me about the demos that sparked off this album. Where did you find them? Had you forgotten about them?
No. I’m always going through stuff on my iTunes - new stuff, roots stuff, early jazz and blues - and in between it, of course, is lots of my stuff and Stones stuff and everybody else, and as I was playing through, suddenly up comes one of my old demo songs. There was a few, and I thought, ‘I should do something with a few of those, because some of them are quite nice.’ I’d kind of forgotten that they were from the ’70s and ’80s. But I found two or three really nice songs there, so I had a go at them, and then I took three songs from previous albums, which I thought had gone by the board without anybody noticing and I really liked the songs, so I re-did them in a different way, and then I wrote about eight new ones, and put it all together.

Did it all start flowing easily?
Oh yeah, once you get going, yeah, it just flows. The problem in the old days, when I used to do solo albums and movie scores and things, was I always had great difficulty with lyrics. I could always write songs, melodies and arrangements and all that, but I always had problems writing the lyrics. When I started working with The Rhythm Kings - I was writing songs for The Rhythm Kings and I’ve probably written about 30 or more songs over the years - lyrics became easier and easier, and when I did this album, they just flowed, and so it was not difficult at all. Everybody that hears this album comes out with one word, which explains it all. From Bob Geldof to Mick Hucknall to everybody else that I’ve every played it to, they say, ‘The lyrics are a bit quirky, aren’t they?’ (Laughs) So I do “quirky” lyrics, apparently!

There’s a stripped-back sound to the album, so it’s putting the vocals and the lyrics to the fore. You must have known that there was going to be a focus on them in that clean production?
Well, I used to sync my vocals into the tracks, because I was always shy about my voice and the way I was singing, and try to let the music tell the story. But on this one, I thought what the hell. After listening to and being influenced on this by people like JJ Cale, Tom Waits, John Prine, Leonard Cohen and people like that, I thought, ‘Well, I gotta get them lyrics right out there and let the songs tell the story.’ So that’s what I did: I pulled my voice out. But I did start to sing in different ways. I sing lower - like the people I’ve just mentioned - instead of singing higher, like trying to be pop stuff, and I liked it much better.

- - -

It’s easier to get famous now for five minutes, not for life, like it was in the past.

- - -

In the song ‘Stuff (Can’t Get Enough)’ you sing, “Money will be the death of me”. I’ve just re-read your autobiography, Stone Alone, and it’s evident that since the early days of the Stones, you have always been wary of watching where your money goes…
Well, someone had to. The others just didn’t give a shit, and we ended up losing everything all the time.

When were you actually able to start enjoying the fruits of your labour?
When we went to France in ’71. We became non-resident, and left England and a Labour government that had tax at 83-93%, which was a joke. If you earned £100 you got £7. It was just, ‘Get out of here!’ And everybody with any talent left England - all the scientists, writers, and actors like Michael Caine… Everybody left - we left - because you can’t live on 93% tax. And so we went to France, and from that day on we paid a sensible amount of tax in France, but we were able to improve our situation and start to enjoy a better life - especially there with the weather, the food, the wine, the climate, the ambience.

You’re quite harsh to the young subject of the song ‘Seventeen’…
It’s a bit cruel, actually. It’s about failed models, really. I used to have lots of model girlfriends in the ’70s and early-’80s - in Paris, particularly; they were all over the bloody place! I just saw how hard they tried to be someone, and then they’d get the opportunity to do something and they’d fail, basically, because they weren’t cut out to be a movie star. They were a model. They were a successful model…and then they want to go on and improve their lives in a different way, and they usually fail. It is about a particular American model, but I won’t mention her name.

I heard in the song you being critical of someone that was trying to be someone they’re not for the sake of fame: “It’s just an image / She made a break with reality”.
Well, you have a lot of that in the present day with young people, don’t you?

That’s what I wanted to ask: do you think it’s easier to get famous now than it was when you first started out?
It’s easier to get famous now for five minutes, not for life, like it was in the past. I mean, anybody can be famous for five minutes now - travel in a stretch limousine for a couple of weeks and then be unheard of six months later. It’s very easy and it happens all the time, which is a bit of a shame, but that’s the way life is at the moment. In the other days, you had to do your apprenticeship.

You had to really learn what to do: how to arrange a show, how to behave and say the right things at interviews, wear the right clothes that you chose yourself…and just do it the hard way, and learn your trade and learn how to play by listening to other people for years and years, and just get better and better, and do it because you just want to do it for the love of it - not to become rich and famous.That was the last thing you thought about in those days, because you couldn’t become rich and famous in the ’60s playing blues, which we did, because it was a music that no-one was listening to, no-one bought, and it just slowly grew and we were very lucky in that way. But we did play great, and we were a great band, so that’s what made us successful.

But now I tend to find kids want to go into the business to become rich and famous, and that’s their ultimate desire, and it’s the wrong way around, because you’ve got to learn how to do it. You can’t want to be a footballer and go on a football pitch if you don’t know how to tackle, pass the ball, score a goal or save one - you can’t become a sportsman if you don’t go through the learning and all that, and the same applies to music, really.

I know you consider yourself quite an organised, methodical, person…
Well, I am a bit OCD. You’ve seen me straightening this [napkin] up. I’ve been doing that while we’ve been talking. I just do it. I have to do things like that. I’m uncomfortable seeing that [cutlery squint] like that. They have to be [straight]. It does worry me. (Laughs)

This may explain your collector tendencies. You’re well known for your large collection of personal artifacts and memorabilia from throughout the years, and your love for collecting in general. You mention in your autobiography some old records you recalled buying. Do you still have your original record collection?
Oh yeah. Yeah, I’ve got about 7000 albums, and about 400 singles and EPs. I’ve got a few 78s - not many, because they all got smashed. But yeah, I’ve collected all my life, and I’ve got the most incredible collections of stuff now. Every time I have someone with a project and they come and see my collection they’re just gob smacked, because they never imagined it could be that much. I’ve got all the records, I’ve got scrapbooks, Stones scrapbooks - hundreds of them - autograph books with photos, drawings, poems and all kind of stuff in them. I’ve got stamp collections, tonnes of home movies, coin collections, I’ve got collections of all my archaeological finds - 6000 items. It just goes on and on and on.

So it‘s all in a very big garage somewhere?
I’m not telling you where it is! (Laughs)

Finally, I really wanted to ask you a quick question about Brian Jones, as you were perhaps the closest friend he had in the band – you’d often share hotel rooms…and girls! Were you disappointed by the fact that only you and Charlie attended his funeral on behalf of the Stones?
Well, of course. It was out of order. The only ones to come were me and Charlie. There were a lot of peripheral people around the Stones that never turned up. No, it was disgusting. It really was disgusting. It was awful. It showed guilt. It showed the guilt by them of the way they treated him. Do you know that in Dartford Railway Station where [Mick and Keith] met, they’ve just put up a plaque now saying they created The Rolling Stones, which is totally out of order. I’ve had a few friends write to them and complain, saying: ‘It’s totally out of order. Brian Jones created The Rolling Stones, not Mick and Keith. They were invited into his band at later times,’ and they completely ignore it, because they want the accolade for Dartford.

But it’s so wrong, and I hate stuff like that, where people try to rewrite history for themselves. It’s so wrong. I was thinking of getting a couple of heavies and going down there and just ripping it off, and getting back on the train back to London. I’ve really been thinking about the possibility of doing it, because it’s so wrong.

There are not enough people who stand up for Brian.
No, but Mick and Keith should stand up and say, ‘No, this is wrong. We didn’t create The Rolling Stones, Brian Jones did. Brian Jones chose the name The Rolling Stones, Brian Jones decided what music we would play, and Brian Jones enlisted every member into his band in 1962 and ’63.’ That’s what they should say, but they ain’t going to, are they? (Laughs)

- - -

- - -

Bill Wyman's new album 'Back To Basics' is set to be released on June 22nd.

Buy Clash Magazine
Get Clash on your mobile, for free: iPhone / Android
Bill Wyman
The Rolling Stones

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 11:33am
MrPleasant wrote on Jun 16th, 2015 at 7:32am:
Finally, I really wanted to ask you a quick question about Brian Jones, as you were perhaps the closest friend he had in the band – you’d often share hotel rooms…and girls! Were you disappointed by the fact that only you and Charlie attended his funeral on behalf of the Stones?
Well, of course. It was out of order. The only ones to come were me and Charlie. There were a lot of peripheral people around the Stones that never turned up. No, it was disgusting. It really was disgusting. It was awful. It showed guilt. It showed the guilt by them of the way they treated him. Do you know that in Dartford Railway Station where [Mick and Keith] met, they’ve just put up a plaque now saying they created The Rolling Stones, which is totally out of order. I’ve had a few friends write to them and complain, saying: ‘It’s totally out of order. Brian Jones created The Rolling Stones, not Mick and Keith. They were invited into his band at later times,’ and they completely ignore it, because they want the accolade for Dartford.

But it’s so wrong, and I hate stuff like that, where people try to rewrite history for themselves. It’s so wrong. I was thinking of getting a couple of heavies and going down there and just ripping it off, and getting back on the train back to London. I’ve really been thinking about the possibility of doing it, because it’s so wrong.

There are not enough people who stand up for Brian.
No, but Mick and Keith should stand up and say, ‘No, this is wrong. We didn’t create The Rolling Stones, Brian Jones did. Brian Jones chose the name The Rolling Stones, Brian Jones decided what music we would play, and Brian Jones enlisted every member into his band in 1962 and ’63.’ That’s what they should say, but they ain’t going to, are they? (Laughs)

Very sad, but true, regardless of the type of person Brian Jones apparently was. It is just amazing that for all their differences, Mick and Keith are similar in so many ways, many of them not very endearing.

Great interview.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 11:52am
Fucking hell. Thats appalling, no matter what way anyone chooses to spin it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 3:51pm
Well, it's not bad, a kind of easy listening album, but definitly the best he ever did. But that's not hard to do. LOL
But I think the last track "I Got Time" may end up on my iPod. Don't know yet. Anyway, I like the man!

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 11:19pm
Wicked Willy Wyman wee-weeing on a musical heritage plaque on British Rail property in Kent -- this is the sort of incontinent iconoclasm that would secure Stinky Fingers position in the #1 slot

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Love the whole album!! It's great!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #23 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:36am
Bill Wyman Recalls Rolling Stones’ Wild Early Days

Check the article here http://variety.com/2015/music/features/bassist-bill-wyman-recalls-rolling-stones...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)