Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Keith interview in Rolling Stone (Read 10,010 times)
Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New Keith interview in Rolling Stone
Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Mostly boilerplate, but mentions solo album due in September (sorry, Ian!). He also addresses the Taylor issue. Amazing. Shades of Keith's isolation during Exile reissue:

Keith Richards: 'I Want to See How Far the Stones Can Go'
The Stones guitarist on their summer tour, playing 'Sticky Fingers' and his upcoming solo album
By Andy Greene April 9, 2015

The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards tells us about 'Sticky Fingers' and his new solo album in a new interview.

If everything goes according to plan, the next year is going to be a busy time for Keith Richards. He's about to begin rehearsals for a 15-date North American stadium tour with the Rolling Stones, he's got a new solo album roughly slated for September and he may even support it with his first solo tour since 1993. We spoke about all this and more with Richards, who phoned up Rolling Stone after our talk

I just spoke to Mick and he said you guys were thinking about playing Sticky Fingers straight through on this tour. What's your take on that?

Well, it wasn't my idea. It was kicked around. I don't know if that would be every night. We might do it in places. First off, we've got to rehearse it all. When it came up, I said, "Yeah, it's not Exile on Main St. We could do that."

Mick was worried there were too many ballads for a stadium audience.

I don't know. It was just an idea. When we get to rehearsals, we'll give it a try.

I'd love to hear "Moonlight Mile" and "Sister Morphine."

It's very rare we play them. Playing them in order is an interesting idea. We'll see how it goes. I'd like to give it a try.

When do rehearsals begin?

I think by the end of April we'll go down to Los Angeles for a couple of weeks and then take it down to San Diego to work on the stage.

Do you think they'll be any sort of public rehearsal show?

I've seen no plans for that yet. Usually, those things happen much closer to the event, so I don't know nothing about that yet.

From your perspective, is playing a stadium much different than an arena?

Not drastically. It's just a lot bigger. And with stadiums you've always got the weather to deal with. God joins the band in one form or another.

Your tours used to last about two years followed by long breaks. Why has this one been so different?

I think everybody's really been enjoying the last few years on the road. The last break was really long; about five years. I think everybody really missed it because we came back energized.

Do these shows feel different to you than previous tours?

It's really difficult to say. Once you're up onstage, it's very familiar ground to me. All audiences are different slightly, but what I go up onstage for is the fact that things are not different. Things stay the same.

Beyond the Sticky Fingers stuff, are there any rare songs you hope to bring back on this tour?

It's early days. We'll be talking about it. I guess I'm going to be seeing Mick next week. I have no doubt the subject will come up.

Are you bringing Mick Taylor on the tour?

Um, I'm not sure. The last I heard…I'm not sure if he's
available or what his condition is at the moment. I'm waiting to hear about that.

That's a shame because he's all over Sticky Fingers.

Yeah, it's just one of those things. I'm not sure. I just haven't gotten into that thing, but I heard he was sick. [Through a representative, Taylor says he is not sick and was not invited onto the tour.]

Do you see Sticky Fingers as a pivotal record in the band's evolution?

Well, it was one of them. Beggars Banquet was another. But with Sticky Fingers, we were working very much with [producer] Jimmy Miller, which was a very fruitful period.

And you were on a new label and thus had a little more freedom, right?

Yeah, yeah. That was the first one on the label. So we did pretty much whatever we wanted to do. Mind you, we always did anyway. What happened after Sticky Fingers? Was it

It was Exile.

Of course. I'm getting them mixed up. Sticky Fingers was the last one we made in England at our old haunt, Olympic Studios. Right after that, we moved.

I imagine this tour will be bittersweet since it's the first one since Bobby Keys passed away.

Man, he'll certainly be missed, especially backstage. He was a good, good friend of mine. But he would be the first to say, "The show must go on."

Do you think they'll be a new Stones album at some point?

We're talking about doing some recording after this tour, but there's nothing definite. We just threw out the idea. I'd like to get the boys back in the studio again, yeah. Anything can happen.

What's the status of your solo album?

I think that's coming out in September.

Is it totally done?

Just done, yeah. We're looking for the right time slot to bring it out. The Stones have been working so much lately that I've been holding off until we could find a reasonable time. I think it's September, but I don't know for sure.

Who plays on it?

[Drummer] Steve Jordan and me. We're joined here and there by [guitarist] Waddy Wachtel and [Rolling Stones backup singer] Bernard Fowler. Steve and I put it together.

Are you thinking about doing solo shows to promote it?

That's being kicked around. At the moment, I'm just getting my head into the Stones and I haven't really thought about what I'm going to do afterwards. But usually if I put a record out, I do some road work. So, it's possible.

Is the thrill of playing live the same as it always was for you?

Yeah. It's a unique feeling, really, and you kind of miss it. I'm ready to get up there. I've been looking forward to it.

I know you've been asked this a million times, but do you see a point in the future when the band will stop touring?

No, I never think about that. I leave that to other people.

I guess if Chuck Berry is nearly 90 and still doing this…

Exactly. As long as I feel like it and there's people to listen to it, we'll do it.

What do you hope to see The Stones accomplish before you guys wrap it up?

That's a good question. I'd like to see just how far they can evolve. I have no demands or particular visions for them, but you're just part of this thing and I want to see how far it will go.

I'm always so impressed by Charlie. He just seems to get better and better.

Yeah, man. He's an incredible drummer, man. A very, very cool customer.

I remember a few years ago, Johnny Depp was shooting a documentary about you. There was even some sort of performance he filmed. What happened with that?

We shot some stuff, but I don't think there's anything in the cards about it. I don't think he's going to use the footage and I don't think I've seen Johnny for a couple of years.

To wrap up here, I just want to ask again about "Moonlight Mile" since I've always wanted to see that live. Do you think you guys are going to do it?

Yeah, I think we'll give it a bash, yeah. I'll tell you what: I'll play it for you right now. [Laughs]

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/keith-richards-i-want-to-see-how-far-...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: New Keith interview in Rolling Stone
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Another few band interviews...this time with Anthony DeCurtis

Anthony DeCurtis Chats With The Rolling Stones

APRIL 9TH, 2015      by PANDORA      in FROM THE ARTISTS +LISTENER EXPERIENCE
In celebration of the The Rolling Stones’ ‘Zip Code’ tour, Pandora has launched a new station packed with handpicked track selections and exclusive commentary directly from the band. The interviews were conducted by award-winning author and journalist Anthony DeCurtis. In the special guest blog post below DeCurtis recounts his conversations with Mick, Keith and Ronnie in anticipation of their stateside tour. Listen to Zip Code Radio here.

A door opens in a hotel suite on Manhattan’s upper east side, and out steps Mick Jagger, characteristically full of energy. A few days before, I’d journeyed down to Soho to meet with Keith Richards, who strolled into the offices of his manager Jane Rose in an excellent mood, having just come from a long, celebratory lunch with his daughter Theodora, who turned thirty that day. Between those events, the genetically cheerful Ron Wood checked in by phone from London. All of this can mean only one thing: The Rolling Stones are going on the road again!

More than fifty years ago, the Stones earned their reputation as “the greatest rock & roll band in the world,” and they still play with a ferocity that bands a third their age would envy. They’re booked stadiums for what they’re calling the Zip Code tour, but when the Stones take the stage, the bigger the venue, the bigger the impact.

“I’m hoping to turn every stadium into a club,” Keith says. “Thank God, we have Mick who can cover all the spectaculars, and the band, once we’re on stage, we feel like, ‘This is our club for the night – it’s just a big one!’”

Jagger believes that getting the audience involved is his job – one he learned from greats like Little Richard and James Brown when the Stones were starting out. “We went on tour with Little Richard, and I would assiduously watch him every night,” he says. “His work ethic was incredible. If the audience wasn’t totally up for it, he would get them up for it, and after half an hour they’d be going nuts. He danced, he sang, he took his shirt off – he just rocked it! James Brown did that too – he wouldn’t let the audience be. He’d push them, and that’s what you have to do. That’s what they taught me.”

Ronnie describes that moment when the Stones come back together in rehearsals, and begin to conjure their magic. “We catch up at rehearsals and have a good old hug, get back together,” he says. “The key is the camaraderie and the bonding of making the music again. We go, ‘Wow, I didn’t know I remembered that song!’ It’s such a huge repertoire that we all secretly take pride in remembering the special little licks that make the songs happen.”

The Stones will be releasing an elaborate reissue of their 1970 classic album Sticky Fingers in June, which includes such songs as “Brown Sugar,” “Wild Horses,” “Bitch” and “Sway.” The album’s original cover – a photo of a man’s jeans-clad crotch with an actual zipper that could be pulled up and down – was designed by Andy Warhol and inspired the Zip Code tour’s name. “Naming tours is the bane of my life,” Mick says, laughing. “Because of Sticky Fingers, we were playing around with zips, and every town has a zip code, so that’s an allusion to where we’re going. It’s sexy, and it sounds fun!”

After all these years, the Stones still thrive on the response of their fans to their music in performance. “It’s like a gift that can’t be bought,” Ronnie says. “It’s an amazing feeling. We’re all equally surprised at how great the vibe is, because we love to make people happy with our music, and it seems to work. The give and take is wonderful.”

“Every night is a different night,” Mick says. “My role is, I’m the cheerleader. I’ve got to sing, but I’ve to get the audience involved. That’s my thing – I want them involved. I want them emotionally involved. I want them physically involved. I want them to have the greatest time in those two hours and to really have fun and while they’re there to be living in the moment. And if I’m doing that, obviously I’m having a great time too.”

As for Keith, he makes no bones that, given the life he’s led, every moment is a gift. “I was top of the charts, baby, as the most likely to die,” he says, laughing. “I held that spot longer than anybody – until they got bored waiting!”

But when he talks about the Stones and their fans, you realize what’s kept him alive. “It’s an indescribable feeling to get out there and whack into ‘Jumping Jack Flash’ for starters,” he says. “That rapport between the band and the fans, that feedback of energy – it’s like you’ve got these millions of friends. And as you get off the stage and you’re sweating and they’re trundling you back home, you can still hear in the background the crowd yelling, “More, more, more!” A guy can’t ask for anything much more than that. All those people are happy. I’m happy. The world’s okay tonight.”

– Anthony DeCurtis

http://blog.pandora.com/2015/04/09/anthony-decurtis-chats-with-the-rolling-stone...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:06pm
Those comments by Keith about Taylor in the 'Rolling Stone' interview are unreal. Classic Pontius Pilate stuff. Does he think people are so frigging dumb they cant check this kind of stuff out with Taylor himself?

... ... ...
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:49pm
A new Stones tour, the possibility of all Sticky Fingers nights, a new Keith album, maybe a new Stones album AND maybe a Keith tour? I think it's a great year to be a Stones fan Smiley

That doesn't sound too good though for the Johnny Depp documentary on Keith.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:53pm
If he's going to tour behind a newly released solo album (which has been the plan all along), that means there is highly unlikely to be Stones shows later this year.

It might be a feasible alternative if South America falls through (Mick didnt seem overly confident about it in his interview) and then the Stones can resume touring in 2016.

They aint gonna play 'Sticky Fingers' in full. Not in stadiums anyway.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Keith Richards Hopes to Have New Album Out This Year, Considering Solo Tour

by Nick DeRiso April 9, 2015 2:13 PM

Read More: Keith Richards Hopes to Have New Album Out This Year, Considering Solo Tour | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-richards-2015-album-tour/?trackback=tsmclip

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 9:30pm
Dammit

Keith is clearly using heroin again.
This ain't good.

It means I gotta go back to Lite beer

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Mel Belli wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm:
All audiences are different slightly, but what I go up onstage for is the fact that things are not different. Things stay the same.

EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!!

KEITH RICHARDS ANNOUNCES SETLIST FOR UPCOMING US TOUR!!!

ALSO...first interview in years that Keef didn't mention "getting his chops back"...
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 10:44pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 2:31am
Richards is full of shit. Has been for quite some time.

All this 'oh, he's the soul of the Stones' bullshit.

Nope - nasty greed-head that Jagger is, it's Mick and Charlie who are the soul of the band. Woody's comic relief and musical grounding (i.e. reminding everyone how the songs go), and Keith is baggage. Propped up as an icon. I'm sorry - the guy used to at least be a fun interview; now he's clearly tired and tired of his own bullshit.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 4:20am
So we're led to believe that a guy Keith has played with for the last two years might be too sick to tour with Keith's band -  but that Keith hasn't bothered to check out if this is true or not and even more pointedly, can't even be bothered to pick up the phone and call the man to see if it's true and how he's feeling?

Either he's an incredibly insulated selfish human being with next to zero input into the running of his own band and who just blindly goes along with what he's told or he's a liar.

Those comments are a very eye opening and  sad insight into the state of affairs of the modern day Stones .

... ... ...
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 5:34am
Gazza wrote on Apr 10th, 2015 at 4:20am:
So we're led to believe that a guy Keith has played with for the last two years might be too sick to tour with Keith's band -  but that Keith hasn't bothered to check out if this is true or not and even more pointedly, can't even be bothered to pick up the phone and call the man to see if it's true and how he's feeling?

Either he's an incredibly insulated selfish human being with next to zero input into the running of his own band and who just blindly goes along with what he's told or he's a liar.

Those comments are a very eye opening and  sad insight into the state of affairs of the modern day Stones .

I see your point Gazza, but hey, much as we read the interviews and all, we know next to zero about what their actual relationships are like. I mean, we've all fallen out and back in with people we've known for ten or five years, can't even imagine what it must be like to work and be friends with and travel around the world a thousand times with people you've known almost all your life. And these guys always lived an insulated kind of life since their twenties!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:14am
He last worked with Mick Taylor in late November.

They've been putting together this tour since January - only two months later - and his excuse for Taylor not being on the tour is that he "heard" he was sick?

So he just went along with that ? No need to contact the guy? It's not as if it was someone he lost contact with 10-20 years ago or has had no recent working relationship with.

They decided not to use him in 2015. That's unfortunate personally but it's what it is and they're perfectly entitled to do that. But to publicly feign ignorance over it - while Mick flat out stated that theyd decided to move on - is embarrassing.

... ... ...
IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:25pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:14am:
But to publicly feign ignorance over it - while Mick flat out stated that theyd decided to move on - is embarrassing.

It's embarrassing that either Stones, Inc. doesn't distribute talking points on pretty easily anticipated media questions, or Keith neglects and/or refuses to follow the script.

Regardless, I'm speculating heavily that Mick Taylor may be his own worst enemy. He may have moaned to play on more songs outside of the occasional CYHMK/Sway/Silver Train as well as ridiculously playing acoustic on Satisfaction and joining in on Slipping Away a few times. You can't blame the guy at all, and we all want much more of him, but the original agreement following the 50th Anniversary London shows may have been to play only on Rambler. Money, of course, plays into it.

I also recall that on a least one of the CYHMK performances, Taylor gloriously extended his solo, perhaps to the irritation of Mick Jagger. Remember this? It's on Youtube. In addition, another (or the same?) CYHMK had him getting right in Keith's face after the 1st chorus to ensure Keith didn't miss the riff coming out of the chorus. Keith looked annoyed and certainly allows only 1 Mick to get in his face: Jagger. Taylor should have merely enjoyed the ride and be a Ron Wood-type sycophant. All speculation, but egos are egos and Taylor may have forgotten to remain in his proper place. Poor Mick Taylor decisions . . .similar to quitting on them in '74.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:42pm by patioaintdry »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:53pm
Sad and annoying that Keith is so flippant or lies about this shit. But he's the guy who said Muddy was painting the ceilings at Chess so there is a long history of BS. If Taylor had any balls he woulda quit after being "allowed" on stage with an acoustic for Satisfaction. Later folks Im off to another pre-sale.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 2:31pm

They've been putting together this tour since January - only two months later - and his excuse for Taylor not being on the tour is that he "heard" he was sick?

So he just went along with that ? No need to contact the guy? It's not as if it was someone he lost contact with 10-20 years ago or has had no recent working relationship with.

They decided not to use him in 2015. That's unfortunate personally but it's what it is and they're perfectly entitled to do that. But to publicly feign ignorance over it - while Mick flat out stated that theyd decided to move on - is embarrassing.

Especially since they are out promoting Sticky Fingers, really their first studio album where they turned MT loose with pretty amazing results...to not have him  along for this is a slap in the face to MT and makes the Stones a bad joke for me!

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #15 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 2:58pm

Most interviews with Keith the last 20 years are embarrassing imo. Sad but true.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 5:35pm
patioaintdry wrote on Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:25pm:
But to publicly feign ignorance over it - while Mick flat out stated that theyd decided to move on - is embarrassing.

It's embarrassing that either Stones, Inc. doesn't distribute talking points on pretty easily anticipated media questions, or Keith neglects and/or refuses to follow the script.

Even if Mick T WAS sick - which doesnt appear to be the case - its not really Keith's place to put something as private as that in the public domain.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 5:40pm
Not his best interview.
Questions re Taylor were totally mishandled.
To suggest MT is too ill to tour is just not cool. Just say NOTHING.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 5:52pm
The Stones operate in another world. They just do. It's who they are.

I've been in the collaborative arts for many years. Egos, attitudes, clashing of ideas, personal dislike...all things crop up. I was working with a group of 6 for a long time. I liked 5 of them, the other I hated. Three had the power and the means to get stuff done. We each brought something to the table and made great stuff, but it wasn't like we were brothers, which is what people lay on bands for some reason.

We worked well together, but individually not so much.

Right now I'm working with someone I'm not crazy about. I could care less about them personally but the end results are good, so it works.

Sorry for the ramble.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:58pm
I heard Keith was ill. Been hearing it for decades in fact.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 5:52am
Keith didn't handle the MT question well at all.  But knowing how he and Jagger tend to get into a war of words it could be Keith's weirdass way of calling bullshit on Jagger.  MT isn't in, it's Jagger's decision, I had no say so - isn't the best answer either.  Neither is - Ask Brenda - which he would have said in the past.

In any case MT is out and we take it or leave it.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:47am
If not having Taylor appear for 15 minutes during the show is a deal breaker for some, don't buy a ticket. I'm not going to miss him at all. It was nice to see him on the 50th, but it's over.

Also, how many people collect his music? Look at these releases at the bottom of his Wiki page. Does anyone buy them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Taylor

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:58am
Whats his solo work got to do with anything? If you used that yardstick for Mick and Keith, the Stones would barely be filling theatres - and for Charlie and Ronnie, it would be clubs.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:42am
His solo work has everything to do with it. I find it very interesting that most people do not buy his solo stuff, attend his shows, etc.

If Mick Taylor is so important to most people nowadays, why was nobody seeing his solo tours or buying his music? While it was very nice of The Stones to have him guest on the 50th, it's time to move on.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:55am
All I know is Bill Wyman must be feeling a little weird about all the MT love  Don't suck my cock

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)