Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Rolling Stones: Why Mick Taylor Had To Go (Read 1,512 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
The Rolling Stones: Why Mick Taylor Had To Go
Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:44am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Rolling Stones: Why Mick Taylor Had To Go

The band’s legendary studio engineer Glyn Johns describes how the guitarist dramatically changed after the Exile On Main Street sessions.

By MOJO STAFF FEBRUARY 27, 2015

VETERAN ROLLING STONES engineer and producer Glyn Johns witnessed a dramatic change in the group’s guitarist Mick Taylor (above, second from left), who replaced Brian Jones in 1969, after the hedonistic Exile On Main Street sessions in the South of France in 1971.

“He turned from from being a quiet, softly spoken, charming young man into a raving egomaniac junkie,” Johns tells MOJO in the latest issue of the magazine (April 2015/ # 257). “I was mixing the record… and said to Mick Jagger, ‘Either he goes or I go.’”

In an eight-page feature detailing the producer’s turbulent working relationship with the Stones, spanning their earliest demos in 1963 to 1975’s Black And Blue sessions, Johns explains how Jagger asked him to work on the tapes of Exile On Main Street in London after sessions at Nellcôte in France “had run riot and people were allowed to do whatever they wanted”.

Johns descibes working on a track at Basing Street Studios on which Taylor had overdubbed backing vocals, drums and a bass. When Taylor asked the famously no-nonsense producer why he had removed them, he replied, “The Rolling Stones have a f**king great drummer and a really great bass player. You, sunshine, play the guitar and you’ll hear it rather nicely when I’ve finished this.”

It was then left to Jagger to ask the guitarist to leave the studio so Johns could continue mixing the track to his satisfaction. Taylor would sensationally leave the Stones three years later in December 1974, and, after quitting drugs during a long and successful solo career, rejoined the group onstage for their 2013 ‘50 & Counting’ tour.

The producer – who remains on friendly terms with the surviving Stones and worked on their 50th anniversary collection, Grrr! – is currently promoting his memoir, Sound Man, recounting his extraordinary 50-year career as engineer/producer for the Stones, The Beatles, Small Faces, The Who, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, The Clash and more.

http://www.mojo4music.com/19154/rolling-stones-mick-taylor-go/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: The Rolling Stones: Why Mick Taylor Had To Go
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 6:54am
Thanks but I wonder why moonie had to go.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 8:18am

“The Rolling Stones have a f**king great drummer and a really great bass player. You, sunshine, play the guitar and you’ll hear it rather nicely when I’ve finished this.”

FUNNY !!!!!  Smiley

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 8:42am
Joey wrote on Feb 27th, 2015 at 8:18am:
“The Rolling Stones have a f**king great drummer and a really great bass player. You, sunshine, play the guitar and you’ll hear it rather nicely when I’ve finished this.”

FUNNY !!!!!  Smiley

Vey Funny
Sunshine!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 8:49am
Most the world changed after the Exile sessions...Taylor who would have made a great Carpenter as well as a Stone was merely road kill on Main St...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 9:56am
Any idea which song they were working on that prompted that exchange??

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 12:19pm
You sunshine....funny, but ouch!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 6:36am
Ugh. Now I gotta go buy a Mojo? Really? maaan....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)