Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Status of Mick Taylor for future shows (Read 5,854 times)
LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

The Status of Mick Taylor for future shows
Feb 15th, 2015 at 6:24am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I am reading on FB and private emails (from someone with a legitimate connection to MT) that, thus far,  Mick Taylor has NOT been invited to participate in the next leg of the tour.

I thought MT was a lock due to the insurance issues re Keith.

However, I also know that there was extreme tension between MT and Mick Jagger with regard to Taylor's limited use. Taylor was reportedly very frustrated after the OZ shows.

Gazza, your thoughts???

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: The Status of Mick Taylor for future shows
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:28am
It's been suggested by some Taylor diehards with good contacts that his inclusion on this tour is far from a certainty.

Being included on the 2013-2014 shows had a lot to do with insurance issues over Keith as much as any goodwill on the band's part - it was very convenient that it tied in nicely with a 50th anniversary tour - we've all seen by now the leaked documents regarding the Australian tour postponement which basically verifies that as it effectively had Keith as uninsurable.  One way of looking at that now is that as Keith was problem-free in 2012-14, having a 'back up' is no longer necessary.

There certainly were some issues with Mick Jagger on the last tour. Without betraying a confidence too much, he was told that he was out of the band on the eve of a very very high profile show on the tour only to mysteriously appear on stage on 'Midnight Rambler' the following night!

Very shabby treatment on the Stones' part if they've dropped him for the 2015 leg. Not that we'd expect anything else, sadly.

Personally speaking, the announcement at 72 hours notice that Mick and Bill were playing the 02 shows were what swayed me to get a ticket and book a flight. Dropping him and the way the shows have reverted to another warhorse fest make it less likely I'd bother if they returned to Europe next year.

I really hope this story is bollocks and maybe its just a case that they havent asked him yet, but intend to. Hopefully that's all it is. The shows are, what, four months away?

Lots of North American fans never got to see Mick T playing with them two years and those in South America likely to see the Stones this year missed out on shows with him last year - and he's never played there with the Stones.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:35am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:49am
Personally, I would rather NOT see them use him only for MR and acoustic (why bother?) on Satisfaction. It's too frustrating!!

But that's ME and I got to see Mick Taylor perform with the band in 2013 and it WAS surreal to see him on that stage. 

If true, I too, feel terrible for all the fans that do not get to see the return of Mick Taylor and his brilliance; and make no mistake, the 2013-14  MR with MT was brilliant.

Chicago II (May, 2013) will remain one of the highlights of my 42 year Stones journey as I got to see killer versions of Rambler AND CYHMK with Mick Taylor.

Jagger's fucking ego strikes again; and I truly believe that is at the root of this.

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:54am
i guess they will used him for Dance Little Sister and maybe if Keith goes Backstage before his three tracks, he can play Times waits for no one with Ron.

Awesome  !!!!

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 8:09am
The same friend who sent me the tentative tour dates also told me that Taylor WOULD be along for these U.S. shows, the Stones had trouble putting butts in seats here in '13, drop Taylor and a lot of fans who went to see him with them in '13 won't bother coming this time around.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 8:24am
LadyJane wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:49am:
Personally, I would rather NOT see them use him only for MR and acoustic (why bother?) on Satisfaction. It's too frustrating!!

Its bizarre. About a third of the bloody songs they play each night featured him on the studio version - and they then feature him on the same two songs (and he may as well not be there on the second one), neither of which he played on originally (saying that, Midnight Rambler' is a highlight of any Stones show and was an even bigger highlight with him playing on it). I can't grasp how they can justify performing stuff like 'Bitch', 'Tumbling Dice' or 'Brown Sugar' while he's sitting backstage scratching his arse! What a wasted opportunity.

I remember at the Berlin show - cant remember which song - watching the band performing from the pit, and being able to see Mick T sitting at the back of the stage at a table facing the side of the arena looking at what looked like a computer screen....and wondering it'd be funny if he logged on to a Stones message board and complain about them underusing him!

Not much point us bitching about something that may not happen, though  - it wouldn't surprise me if its just a case of plans not being that far advanced yet.

The thing is though that if they decide NOT to invite him, you can bet you'll hear about  through the fan community, not through official channels. They're very unlikely to make a specific announcement that he's not on the tour. From their perspective, there'd be nothing to gain from doing so.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 8:26am
MRD8 wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 8:09am:
The same friend who sent me the tentative tour dates also told me that Taylor WOULD be along for these U.S. shows, the Stones had trouble putting butts in seats here in '13, drop Taylor and a lot of fans who went to see him with them in '13 won't bother coming this time around.

Precisely. If you're going to have $700-1000 seats as some kind of bad taste gimmick, you're going to need to dangle a pretty good carrot at people to fill them.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 10:28am
Mick Taylor is large part of the Stones legend, he should be included.

Additionally, MT is a beautiful guitar player and a fucking asset. 

I have met the man and he is a CLASS ACT.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 12:41pm
This shit runs deep, it makes no sense at all.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 1:50pm

"  ............ This shit runs deep, it makes no sense at all.  "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 2:24pm
LadyJane wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:49am:
Jagger's fucking ego strikes again; and I truly believe that is at the root of this.

a...GREED!!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 9:23pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:28am:
It's been suggested by some Taylor diehards with good contacts that his inclusion on this tour is far from a certainty.

Being included on the 2013-2014 shows had a lot to do with insurance issues over Keith as much as any goodwill on the band's part - it was very convenient that it tied in nicely with a 50th anniversary tour - we've all seen by now the leaked documents regarding the Australian tour postponement which basically verifies that as it effectively had Keith as uninsurable.  One way of looking at that now is that as Keith was problem-free in 2012-14, having a 'back up' is no longer necessary.

There certainly were some issues with Mick Jagger on the last tour. Without betraying a confidence too much, he was told that he was out of the band on the eve of a very very high profile show on the tour only to mysteriously appear on stage on 'Midnight Rambler' the following night!

Very shabby treatment on the Stones' part if they've dropped him for the 2015 leg. Not that we'd expect anything else, sadly.

Personally speaking, the announcement at 72 hours notice that Mick and Bill were playing the 02 shows were what swayed me to get a ticket and book a flight. Dropping him and the way the shows have reverted to another warhorse fest make it less likely I'd bother if they returned to Europe next year.

I really hope this story is bollocks and maybe its just a case that they havent asked him yet, but intend to. Hopefully that's all it is. The shows are, what, four months away?

Lots of North American fans never got to see Mick T playing with them two years and those in South America likely to see the Stones this year missed out on shows with him last year - and he's never played there with the Stones.

Yes, their is a certain ex-Rock Offer who shall be named. GLENCAR! Who has been trashing Rocks Off on the Shidoobee page on Facebook. AS if we didn't already know what a dick this guy was. He's using this subject as an excuse to trash RO for bad info and not mentioning Taylor won't be on  the next tour. Never mind that their hasn't been a next leg or tour announced yet. Stay classy Blue.  Kiss my undercover ass Boring post

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:17am
I must be missing something in the insurance document because I don't see a single thing about liability with Keith, his ability or anything else. If there is something I missed, please PM me so I can review it again.

If MT is upset, be should have thought about that during contract negotiations. He has no reason to be upset. It's not like he was doing anything anyway. Truth be told, he's not that popular. In the 90's he was doing ten dollar shows that were not well attended. His back catalog isn't flying off the shelves and he's not in demand in the studio.

He's being paid to do two songs, one of which is the most important song in their catalog - Midnight Rambler. It's a showcase for each member. Theatrically and musically, it's the center piece of the concert.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:57am
"   ......   I must be missing something in the insurance document because I don't see a single thing about liability with Keith, his ability or anything else. If there is something I missed, please PM me so I can review it again.

If MT is upset, be should have thought about that during contract negotiations. He has no reason to be upset. It's not like he was doing anything anyway. Truth be told, he's not that popular. In the 90's he was doing ten dollar shows that were not well attended. His back catalog isn't flying off the shelves and he's not in demand in the studio.

He's being paid to do two songs, one of which is the most important song in their catalog - Midnight Rambler. It's a showcase for each member. Theatrically and musically, it's the center piece of the concert. "

Now THAT is Postin'  !!!!!!

Please feel free to take the entire day off work  .

J.  " Snuggles "  FLY !!!!!   ™

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2015 at 8:00am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:35am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 9:23pm:
Gazza wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 7:28am:

Yes, their is a certain ex-Rock Offer who shall be named. GLENCAR! Who has been trashing Rocks Off on the Shidoobee page on Facebook. AS if we didn't already know what a dick this guy was. He's using this subject as an excuse to trash RO for bad info and not mentioning Taylor won't be on  the next tour. Never mind that their hasn't been a next leg or tour announced yet. Stay classy Blue.  Kiss my undercover ass Boring post

sad, I say we continue his ban for another year.

glencar?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:27am
Steel Wheels wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:17am:
I must be missing something in the insurance document because I don't see a single thing about liability with Keith, his ability or anything else. If there is something I missed, please PM me so I can review it again.

Keith Richards

Not covered for anything resulting from a head injury he suffered in 2006, when he fell out of a coconut tree while on holiday in Fiji with Ronnie Wood. He needed surgery to relieve bleeding around his brain, cancelling 13 shows and postponing another five

Not covered for anything relating to osteoarthritis, “alcohol abuse” or “liver failure and/or disease”

Anyone who watched shows from mid-2006 until the end of that tour a year later would have noticed that there were many shows where he was struggling to hold it together for the entire gig. Some gigs he had a few 'moments' but was otherwise functional, other gigs he was all over the place. He admitted himself he was on heavy medication as his head injury had given him epileptic seizures and that he subsequently cut down on his alcohol and drug intake.

Similarly, anyone who saw any shows from 2012 to date will have noticed a considerable improvement.

It would make sense that he would be seen as a high risk for an insurer in 2012 after what had happened previously.

... ... ...
IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #16 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:54am
I'm thirtysomething years old, and I would never climb a coconut tree. That is stupid.

I once fell from a house; a small house, but still it caused some damage.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #17 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:59am
Ah, so that is what they mean by liability. A preexisting condition or future incident that the insurance company won't cover. 

All four members of the band received medical clearances to go on the road, and since there's nothing in the insurance policy regarding Mick Taylor, I've felt that his being on tour was just a way to say thanks for what you've done.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:07am
One last thing about that insurance paperwork - they made no mention of the Atlantic City show that was cancelled due to a supposedly sick Mick Jagger.

The Stones had no interest in playing that gig and saved up their energy for the Shine A Light performance.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 12:12pm
MrPleasant wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:54am:
I once fell from a house; a small house, but still it caused some damage.

Was the house OK?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 1:19pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 10:59am:
Ah, so that is what they mean by liability. A preexisting condition or future incident that the insurance company won't cover. 

All four members of the band received medical clearances to go on the road, and since there's nothing in the insurance policy regarding Mick Taylor, I've felt that his being on tour was just a way to say thanks for what you've done.

Taylor isnt a band member. His insurance would have been as of much significance to the insurers as that of Lisa Fischer or Tim Ries.

Medical clearances to go on the road is one thing. Insurance cover for a multi-million dollar venture is another entirely. There were clauses for both Keith and Woody that cancellations caused by certain specified health reasons wouldn't be covered.

I dont think its mere coincidence that there were no shows at all on the last tour where either of them were fucked up or barely playing. Its been decades since they were BOTH up to the task simultaneously for prolonged periods. More than ever before, I believe they had to be (I dont think Jagger would have gone on the road otherwise - insisting on Blondie Chaplin being dropped was a statement of intent, ensuring Keith would have to be in shape)

It speaks volumes that previously they were able to get insurance cover for 130-date tours stretching over two years and yet in 2014 couldnt get it for a short tour of about a dozen shows in six weeks.

I do agree there was an element of giving some props to Taylor because it was a 50th anniversary tour, but as well as that it could be seen as an added gimmick to attract lapsed fans put off by high ticket prices for a tired touring format and also as a way of assuring promoters that they had a back up guitarist just in case.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:07am:
One last thing about that insurance paperwork - they made no mention of the Atlantic City show that was cancelled due to a supposedly sick Mick Jagger.

The Stones had no interest in playing that gig and saved up their energy for the Shine A Light performance.

In all fairness...I thought the show they finally did manage to give us was AWESOME!!
AC 2006 was the last show I attended and the rare gems it had would gladly make it my last for their current lack of enthusiasm leaves one to wonder, why bother?

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 5:20pm
The ONLY reason I saw them on the last tour was this man  Wow!, and there is absolutely no way I would pay again if he wasn't there. I didn't realize that Jagger was so instrumental in shunning him. It may be a load of bollocks, but if not, then I finally understand why he is so disliked by many of the people who have felt betrayed by him. The Stones are right wankers though because if you take Mick Taylor out of the show, it really does look like a bit of a sinking ship at this point. He reinvigorated the band in a way that they haven't shown in years. Things looked a little odd when he was pulled out of the final bow: what a bunch of twats for doing that. I remember in an interview that Mick Taylor once said that they have never forgiven me for leaving the band. It may all just be nonsense though and there may be another reason, but, if not, they are really covering themselves in shame.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:49pm
"Things looked a little odd when he was pulled out of the final bow".

As someone who took great pride in searching for photos to post and save, I do not recall this occurring.

As long as he was on the stage for Satisfaction, he was taking the final bow as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong.........

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 7:17am:

He's being paid to do two songs, one of which is the most important song in their catalog - Midnight Rambler. It's a showcase for each member. Theatrically and musically, it's the center piece of the concert.

It's the name that sales. THE ROLLING STONES.  How well did Mick and Keith do when they tried to go solo? How many tickets do Charlie, Ronnie or Bill sell when they do solo shows? When Taylor was on stage on the last tour. He was still the best guitar player on stage. He may have made a bad career move by leaving the Stones when he did. But, he's still alive when so many others associated with the Stones aren't.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)