Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why wasn't Bobby Keys invited to play Sax on the original Waiting On A Friend? (Read 2,766 times)
steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Champaign, IL.
Why wasn't Bobby Keys invited to play Sax on the original Waiting On A Friend?
Feb 5th, 2015 at 10:54am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Did Mick think someone could do it better or maybe it wasn't Bobby`s style for the song?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Why wasn't Bobby Keys invited to play Sax on the original Waiting On A Friend?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:12am
Weren't they on the outs right about that time?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Re: Why wasn't Bobby Keys invited to play Sax on the original Waiting On A Friend?
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:33am
I don't really know if they were on the outs but I think that was Bobby on Neighbors so he was in.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 12:19pm
"  .............Did Mick think someone could do it better or maybe it wasn't Bobby`s style for the song ? "

<  ---- Babe ... ?!   ....... Baby Steel Magnolia  ... ?!

Baby Steelie  , C10  ....... ?!  ... !!!!!!    *** Is that really YOU ?!  ( The one I Love so Much  ) .

Babe ..... the whole world is waiting  .......   Weeding ?!

Are You Weeding Today        ... ?!  ... !!!!!!!

Hashishin' ..... ?!   .... Weeding ?!

Are You Hashishin '  ..... ?!   Please ..... we's just's got's to's knows : Weeding ?!  ... Hashishin ' ... ?!

" Hit Me Ronnie !!!!  "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky Cakes  , C10   ® , ™  ,  © ; ®
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2015 at 12:20pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 1:12pm
Joseph talk Stones for a change will ya?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 6:44pm
steel driving hammer wrote on Feb 5th, 2015 at 11:33am:
I don't really know if they were on the outs but I think that was Bobby on Neighbors so he was in.

Sonny Rollins plays sax on WOAF, Neighbours and Slave.

All overdubbed in NYC spring '81.

Bobby didnt play that much with the Stones between 73 and 81 after he let them down by missing a gig in the middle of the '73 Euro tour . A few live cameos in '75 and on a few songs on "Emotional Rescue" - he's not even on "Miss You", thats Mel Collins.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 8:35pm
...the GREAT Mel Collins; again a member of King Crimson now!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 2:48am
The Stones were damn lucky to get Rollins to record with them as a lot of older guys from the jazz world often had contempt for rock n 'roll or even blues dudes. I wonder what he charged them, or did he actually dig them and cut them a deal?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Charlie on Rollins' contribution :

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/jan/24/sonny-rollins-charlie-watts

and Rollins himself :
http://paulsemel.com/vintage-interview-sonny-rollins-1996/

" I haven’t had a lot of experience with rock musicians. Outside of the thing I did with The Stones, I haven’t listened to a lot of rock musicians. I’ve heard some rock, some of it I liked, I’ve heard guys who sound like they have something to say. But I’m not that familiar with enough rock people to give you some names."

and from 1998 :http://paulsemel.com/vintage-interview-sonny-rollins-1998/

Back in 1981, you recorded some songs with The Rolling Stones for their Tattoo You album. Would you ever do something like that again?

"Oh, sure. If I thought it was something that I could relate to and I had some kind of confidence in the power of the message that would be conveyed, yeah. I mean I’m not looking to get, lining my pockets. In fact, I’m very against lining my pockets. I think this is what’s wrong with the world. Everybody’s trying to line their pockets, but we have to step back from this materialism. It’s a step back and try to live lighter on the planet. So, I’m not just doing something if I think it’s going to be lining my pockets. No, I’m too old for that. "

So if the Rolling Stones said, “We’re going to do this big tour, and we want you play on the tour and open for us,” you probably wouldn’t bother.

No, I don’t think I would do it. What I did with the Stones was sort of remarkable and groundbreaking and all this stuff at the time. But I don’t think the need for it today, except to line my pockets. I’m interested in saying something, trying to do something, trying to create some music and trying to stand for something. So, that’s why I wouldn’t do a lot of things now.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)