Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Would Happy been more of a classic if Jagger sung the song?

I simply think it would of been better for several reasons... 1 is intead of asked if he's finally Satisfied he would asked if he's finally Happy which Kieth rarely even asked. Plus i think the song would of been more powerful!
« Created by: steel driving hammer on: Jan 22nd, 2015 at 3:20pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Would Happy been more of a classic if Jagger sung the song originally & live? (Read 8,044 times)
steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Champaign, IL.
Re: Would Happy been more of a classic if Jagger sung the song originally & live?
Reply #25 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Lol

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Would Happy been more of a classic if Jagger sung the song originally & live?
Reply #26 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:32am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:30am:
What is AFAICR and EOMS, lass? Jesus, you kids and your acronyms...

You probably don't text, do you?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #27 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:01am
Edith Grove wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:32am:
What is AFAICR and EOMS, lass? Jesus, you kids and your acronyms...

You probably don't text, do you?

I have a Obama phone and texting is free but I also bought a smart phone at Best Buy which I'm using now for mp3 & Wi-Fi. for only $30 but I just dont pay the $60 a month plan which is outrageous!

I'm still voting for Romey Bush next year though.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:21am
Although it's not popular, I have always thought Mick singing it would have made it a huge hit, in a way that it would have been a war horse. Now, I realize that it might have just become some outtake, but in a hypothetical world where it was on the album with Mick singing, I think it would have been a bigger classic (not just for Stones fans, but for everyone like the other war horses). I have thought so since I saw that clip above with Mick singing most of it. In fact, I wish he would join Keith on backing vocals once in a while these days when he sings it live. The song that I think would not sound better with Mick is You Got the Silver.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:37pm
andrews27 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:51pm:
Unfortunately if there's a Stones album which truly earns the 'Keith's album' moniker, it's "Dirty Work"......

Not that unfortunate to me, considering Keith's contributions (and bootlegged tracks) v. Winning Ugly and Back to Zero.

Most Underrated Stones albums (chronological order)
Goats Head Soup
Black and Blue
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Dirty Work

True, but its still a sub-par Stones album. Not primarily because of Keith's contribution, but more so because of Mick's lack of one.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:41pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:19am:
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 22nd, 2015 at 11:23pm:
Keith playing it at 30, 45 (with the Winos) or 70? He almost always plays it perfectly, except when he fell out of the tree and bonked his head and continued the Bigger Bang tour.

That was really unfortunate, wasn't it? I saw them on that tour in Oakland (with Pdog!) and for his first, he did YGTS, which I was really freaked out by because I'd never ever ever thought I'd get to see that song live, but the tears of joy just started to become tears almost of terror when I realized how fucked up he was. "OMG, Keith's gonna DIE!" I thought, wincingly. I mean, I know we all know that, but right then, it seemed like it was gonna be like, in the next two weeks or something.

Now, onto this COMPLETE CRAP about Happy being better if Mick sang it.

Don't we HAVE an outtake of Mick singing this song on our collective "alternative versions" of EOMS? I could SWEAR I have a version on mine. When I get my shit out of storage, I'll find it.

Never heard of that. Are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with the alternate version of "You Got The Silver", which features Mick on vocal?

... ... ...
IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:42pm
What is AFAICR and EOMS, lass?

Am I really being asked what EOMS stands for on Rocks Off???????

What the fuck?

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #32 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:46pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:41pm:
Are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with the alternate version of "You Got The Silver", which features Mick on vocal?

That is possible...but I really thought it was Happy. Cardinal Fang gave me a LOT of stuff that I haven't kept in the forefront of my mind. When I get my boots out, I'll have a look. I would assume, however, that you'd have anything CF had, so....

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:12pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:42pm:
What is AFAICR and EOMS, lass?

Am I really being asked what EOMS stands for on Rocks Off???????

What the fuck?

Yup, you are. I'm sure it's something nearly as clever as "LOL", but I can handle extreme wit. Spill the beans, thanks...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #34 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:18pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:46pm:
Are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with the alternate version of "You Got The Silver", which features Mick on vocal?

That is possible...but I really thought it was Happy. Cardinal Fang gave me a LOT of stuff that I haven't kept in the forefront of my mind. When I get my boots out, I'll have a look. I would assume, however, that you'd have anything CF had, so....

I think Gazza's right (really???). I don't have a ton of boots but I've never heard a version of "Happy" with Mick on lead vox. But I would like to hear him do it, as he's got that extreme vigor that the song conjures that Keith doesn't have, much as I love his singing.
And yeah, I actually like Mick's "You Got the Silver" as much as Keefs.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #35 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:12pm:
Spill the beans, thanks...

No, no, no. Put on your big boy pants. There's ample enough contextual information in the original post for you to figure that shit out all on your own.

The real Rolling Stones tongue

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #36 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:53pm
What the hell does EOMS stand for, goddmn ya?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #37 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:07pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:53pm:
What the hell does EOMS stand for, goddmn ya?

Exile
On
Main
Street

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #38 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Never heard of it. Bet it sucks.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:46pm

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #40 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:50pm
The biggest missed opportunity on Exile that was missed is the vocal mix. The average listener has no idea what is being sung. Incredible musicianship with no connection to lyrics.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #41 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:58pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:46pm:

Nice tee shirt, think I've seen that. Does it suck?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #42 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:10pm
I know it sucks ME. And it does a damn fine job of it. Bliss.

What it does for you? Well, that's up to your own level of evolution as a human being. And, like with most things, how hard you wanna work for it.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #43 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:32am
Oh, I agree. Yes I do. I reckon I should give that album a listen, see what the fuss is about.
Thanks for the heads-up, Miss Rat.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #44 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:44am
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:46pm:

I cant imagine there's a version in existence with Mick on lead vocals as its pretty well documented that the basic track was cut by just Keith, Bobby and Jimmy Miller

Happy was something I did because I was for one time EARLY for a session. There was Bobby Keys and Jimmy Miller. And we were in the South of France, it was at the time we were recording Exile. We had nothing to do and  had suddenly picked up the guitar and played this riff. So we cut it and it's the record, it's the same. We cut the original track with a baritone sax, a guitar and Jimmy Miller on drums. And the rest of it is built up over that track. It was just an afternoon jam that everybody said, Wow, yeah, work on it.
- Keith Richards, 1982

That happened in one grand bash in France for Exile. I had the riff. The rest of the Stones were late for one reason or another. It was only Bobby Keys there and Jimmy Miller, who was producing. I said, I've got this idea; let's put it down for when the guys arrive. I put down some guitar and vocal, Bobby was on baritone sax and Jimmy was on drums. We listened to it, and I said, I can put another guitar there and a bass. By the time the Stones arrived, we'd cut it. I love it when they drip off the end of the fingers. And I was pretty happy about it, which is why it ended up being called Happy.
- Keith Richards, 2002

http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOHappy.html

... ... ...
IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:42pm
Gazza, do you just have quotes on your Google Drive or something and so you just search for, like, three words in a phrase or something and then you can just cut and paste?

Of course I defer to your authority. We will all only be pleasantly surprised if CF somehow managed to give me a copy of Mick singing "Happy" that no one else has. But I think we all know that's not very bloody likely.

REGARDLESS, as a ranking member of the Exile Mafia, I take issue with Steelie's post premise. And I will be notifying the proper authorities.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)