Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Surprising Story Behind Our 1966 Rolling Stones Cover (Town & Country) (Read 1,549 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
The Surprising Story Behind Our 1966 Rolling Stones Cover (Town & Country)
Jan 22nd, 2015 at 8:23am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Surprising Story Behind Our 1966 Rolling Stones Cover
An unconventional issue's unlikely aftermath.

by ASH CARTER

JERRY SCHATZBERG

Town & Country's June 1966 debutante special posed an urgent question: "Is today's deb more a product of Peyton Place than of Emily Post?" On the issue's cover, Brian Jones turns to Bill Wyman, as if to ask another: What the hell is Peyton Place?

Alexandra Chace, of New York City and Tuxedo, the smiling girl to Jones' right, was the product of the Rolling Stones. (Also, her profile notes, Bob Dylan, Donovan, and the Birds [sic].) Inside, "The Way-Out Fantastical—But Why Not Possible—Dream World of the Debutante" matched eight other debs with their idols, including Andy Warhol and Jerry Schatzberg, the "'in' lensman" who shot the portfolio, as well as the cover of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

Schatzberg had thrown a party for the Stones in his studio loft two years earlier, a night described by Tom Wolfe in a profile of "Baby" Jane Holzer. According to Wolfe, "everybody but Bailey" was there. Holzer "is a socialite in the sense that she lives in a twelve room apartment on Park Avenue," Wolfe wrote. "And yet she is not Society the way the Good Book, the Social Register, thinks of Society . . . Furthermore, her stance is that she doesn't care, and she would rather be known as a friend of the Stones anyway." Against this groovy backdrop, Schatzberg and T&C art director Jerold Smokler came up with the idea for the cover. An assistant recalled, "This was quite controversial at the time because previously the Stones had been confined to teenage magazines and to sensational newspaper stories about 'unruly' behavior."

The issue was on newsstands across America when the band rode the SS Sea Panther around Manhattan to promote their latest album, Aftermath. The assistant, Linda Eastman, and a colleague were also on board. "Maybe it was because they felt favorably disposed towards Town & Country after having a front cover," she later speculated. "Maybe it was because the Stones fancied a young, blond-haired girl on board as, in those days, the press they had to face was largely made up of older men who knew little about rock and roll."

And maybe it was because her colleague, Christina Berlin, daughter of the president of the Hearst Corporation, willed it so. Previously, Berlin had a Hearst tabloid press pass produced in order to bear witness when the Beatles arrived at JFK. Later, Mikhail Baryshnikov credited her with the diplomatic machinations behind his 1974 defection from the U.S.S.R. (Her sister, Brigid, was a fixture in Warhol's Factory, appearing in Chelsea Girls and Ciao! Manhattan.) Berlin already knew the Stones, having engineered a meeting with the band during a previous American tour.

Eastman left the 79th street boat basin an aspiring photographer and returned a freelance professional. Her pictures ran in Hullaballoo, Datebook, and Rolling Stone. She also accepted a date with Mick Jagger, an evening for which Berlin made the tomboyish Eastman wear a dress, a pair of earrings, and a bra. "She was fighting me all the way," Berlin recalled, "but I kept saying, 'Trust me, you'll thank me . . . My God, you're still representing Town & Country, you know."

In London, the following year, Eastman traded a print of Brian Jones on the boat for access to the Sergeant Pepper's press release, where Eastman took her first photographs of the Beatles. By chance she had met Paul McCartney, her future husband of 29 years, at the Bag O'Nails pub the previous night. Linda McCartney later concluded that her cruise aboard the Sea Panther "set the course of my life."

CHRISTINA BERLIN, MICK JAGGER, AND LINDA EASTMAN (SOON TO BE MCCARTNEY) ABOARD THE SS SEA PANTHER IN 1966.

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/news/a2689/the-story-b...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)