Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When the Rolling Stones played Cork’s Savoy 50 years ago (Read 883 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
When the Rolling Stones played Cork’s Savoy 50 years ago
Jan 20th, 2015 at 10:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
When the Rolling Stones played Cork’s Savoy 50 years ago

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

by John Daly

People of a certain age love to wax lyrical about when the Beatles played Dublin’s Adelphi, but what about when the Rolling Stones hit Cork’s Savoy theatre, 50 years ago, writes John Daly

It was 1965. That January, the Rolling Stones toured Ireland for the first time.

They were fresh-faced, accessible and unified in their aim to overthrow great rivals, The Beatles, but with worldwide success just around the corner with the imminent release of ‘I Can’t Get No Satisfaction’, it would be the last time fans would ever get so close to their idols.

The Riordans and Bunny Carr’s Quicksilver were tops on television, the GAA was holding firm on its foreign-games ban, and Butch Moore’s ‘Walking In The Rain’ scored fifth in our first ever Eurovision entry.

While the US heaved with the turmoil of Martin Luther King’s civil-rights marches and the assassination of Malcolm X, the group that would go on to have one of the longest, and most successful, rock-music careers kicked off the year with a three-city tour of the country.

They playing matinee and evening concerts each day at the Belfast ABC theatre, Dublin’s Adelphi, and Cork’s Savoy, from January 6 to 8 .

With a concert set-list that included gritty Delta blues classics like ‘Off The Hook’, ‘Route 66’, ‘Little Red Rooster’ and ‘I’m Alright’, the Stones arrived into an Irish music scene dominated by show-bands like The Capitol, Dickie Rock, Jim Doherty Trio and Brendan Boyer.

Asked by a reporter if he agreed that their long hair made them look like women, Jagger replied playfully: “That’s just a dirty lie.” Pressed on whether the Stones were better than the Beatles, he responded diplomatically: “We’re just different, we’re doing different things.”

He displayed glimpses of the canny social observer he would become: “In the last two or three years, young people have started a big thing. Instead of just carrying on the way their parents told them to, they’re anti-war and their sexual lives have become freer.”

Asked what it was like to perform in front of hundreds of screaming fans, Jagger replied candidly: “You have to be very egotistical.” As to how long he thought the Rolling Stones would last, he said: “We’ll probably be around for a year, or a year and a half. Then it’ll be over.”

Paddy Ryan, part of the Old Head Golf Club management team, remembers the Cork concerts: “The concerts at the Savoy were a huge event. Anyone who knew anything about the coming thing in music wanted to be there. My girlfriend, Anne, and I were always divided on the Stones and the Beatles,” he said.

“Most guys loved the edginess of the Stones, they had a kind of danger the Beatles just didn’t have. I remember that Brian Jones was the real hero of the group — as soon as he came on stage, the girls just went wild. His long blond hair and good looks had girls going mad everywhere he went. Jagger, at that time, was definitely in second place.”

While interaction between the band and the audience was encouraged, there was little disruption during the performance: “It was pretty well-ordered. A few people tried jumping on the stage, but it was no big deal. The music was the thing that got you — it was so exciting, so visceral. You could get right up to the stage. We had never seen anything like this before. It was mind-blowing,” he said.

Paddy remembers how the show ended: “They played ‘This Could Be The Last Time’ as the curtain slowly descended in front of them on the stage. Then, it raised up again as they played the final verse of the song, before coming down for the last time. And then the PA system announced — ‘Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones have left the building’. I’ve heard that line dozens of times, everywhere from London to Las Vegas, since, but that evening in Cork was the first place I ever heard it used.”

The Stones returned to Ireland for another short tour the following September, filmed for an ‘on the road’ documentary, Charlie Is My Darling. Playing to growing audiences everywhere they went, and with ‘Satisfaction’ steadily climbing the charts, the film offered footage of boozy hotel bedrooms, screaming girls, and electric performances from a band moving into the big time with a stage presence all of their own.

“Everything was raw,” said director Mick Gochanour. “It was very clear why the band would become who they eventually became. They had a real love and respect for each other and the music.

“Mick’s focus and maturity at 22 years old was quite remarkable and Keith was speaking through his music then, as he is today.”

The band breezed into the village of Castlemartyr en route to the Savoy. Emerging from the regal interior of their chauffeured Austin Princess, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts took tea at Mrs. Farrell’s Eating House while Mick, Keith and Brian slipped across the street to Barry’s Bar (now owned by comedian Pat Shortt)

“Kids are looking for something else, for different moral values because they know they’re gonna get all the things that were thought impossible 50 years ago,” said Jagger about the mayhem being created by the Stones in that breakthrough year before they became a global brand that still resonates 50 years later.

Memories from the front row

Richard Houghton has gathered together dozens of recollections from people who attended the Cork concerts for an upcoming book on the Rolling Stones, due for publication later this year.

“When they came to Ireland in early 1965, songs like ‘Not Fade Away’, ‘It’s All Over Now’ and ‘Little Red Rooster’ had all been top ten hits and the band were on the cusp of topping the charts around the world later that summer with ‘I Can’t Get No Satisfaction’.

“The Stones played over 300 shows in both 1963 and 1964, regularly playing two sets a day, and were at the height of their musical powers with a repertoire of over 80 songs.

“Irish concert goers were lucky to see a band on the verge of becoming a global phenomenon.”

Joseph O’Callaghan

“I had just turned 16. The Stones really knocked me out. I was very impressed by the harp playing of Brian and by his pear shaped guitar. In those days Mick was just throwing shapes - the running around came later! The girls were just screaming.”

Jean Kearney

“I was there with my friend Daphne. We were only 12 so we went to the 6pm show. I’d say there were not more than 300 at the early gig.

“Daphne and I hid under the seats during the break and stayed to enjoy the second show too, which had closer to a capacity crowd.”

Olive O’Sullivan

“I attended both performances at the Savoy. I even sat in the same seat in the front row for both shows.

“During the interval I went backstage and obtained all their autographs. Mick offered me a bottle of Coke.”

Paul Gibbons

“I was 24 went I went to the concert. The Stones gave a thrilling performance with their driving, raucous sounds.”

Oonagh O’Hare

“I was 15. I saw the matinee. There was no screaming and no shouting.My friend Jill brought a box of Milk Tray to throw at Mick Jagger.

“We thought if we got the box of chocolates on stage they would see us and want to marry us because we were the coolest girls in the place. Instead we nearly got thrown out.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/when-the-rolling-stones-played-c...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Champaign, IL.
Re: When the Rolling Stones played Cork’s Savoy 50 years ago
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 3:53pm
Edith my deep southern brother I love how you find this information...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 9:12pm
steel driving hammer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2015 at 3:53pm:
Edith my deep southern brother I love how you find this information...

AGREED!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:55pm
Now Ronnie stays at the Savoy and keeps dropping the cork.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:06am
“We thought if we got the box of chocolates on stage they would see us and want to marry us because we were the coolest girls in the place. Instead we nearly got thrown out.”

Awww, bless! Been there, done that!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)