Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RIP Black Crowes (Read 7,759 times)
wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Re: RIP Black Crowes
Reply #25 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I'm not quite understanding all the hate around here for the Black Crowes.  The Stones influence should be clear to you folks.  Rich Robinson plays almost exclusively in open G on any given night (I'd say about 80% of the set) and his riffs are clearly Keith inspired.

The songs?  Well, the first album of theirs is clearly a nod to the Stones.  After that they developed their own style based on everything that they learned from Mick and Keith and became a very original sounding band.  And don't give me the Steve Marriot/Humble Pie/Rod Stewart/Faces crap - the Black Crowes really did take care of business their own way. 

They are my favorite band to have started after 1980. 

On my all time list, they are easily in my top 5. 

I'd put the 1992-1997 PLUS 2005 Black Crowes output/performance level up against anything the Stones did between 1968 and 1973.  I certainly give the nod to the Stones and I'm sure the Brothers Robinson would as well, but damnit if the Black Crowes don't come in a VERY close second if we're comparing eras. 

I'll miss their sound.  I won't miss Chris.  I won't go see him and his Brotherhood project.  I think he's a raging ass hole and I'm sure most of you would agree. 

Spin "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" album and come back here to tell me what you think.  It's heavy just like Keith would have wanted circa 68-72.

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #26 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Now I want to buy a Black Crowes CD,

And a Bon Jovi CD,

And one from that not so recent white soul diva who passed away a while ago,

[I was Just kidding. Where are Madonna and Jeniffer Lopez doing, when we need some suicidal awful people?]

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #27 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:34pm
I don't care about people who try or just naturally sound like the Stones. There's a lifetimes worth of actual Stones music to listen to when I want that vibe.

Same with my other fave artists.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #28 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:30pm
wiseblood wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 12:51pm:

This is just retarded. That's 35 years of music you're clearly not listening to. Off the top, Go listen to "The Dirty South" by the Drive-by Truckers, read their wiki page and come back and say that. These guys opened for TBC on some tour and people *I* turned on to TBD went to these shows (I think maybe even it was FijiJoe) and said that the real musos in the audience watched TBD and then left the venue. 

And what is this? "And don't give me the Steve Marriot/Humble Pie/Rod Stewart/Faces crap"? STFU. If you can't see the obvious BLEND they were going for, then I'm not sure I even give two shits what you think about TBD, actually. AND, as I've said, there's plenty of good reason to rip that shit off. It's not my style, but if I had to work with a mic stand that way, I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything else with a mic stand than fucking pretend to be Rod. Who, after all, was just riffing James Brown. BTW, wasn't that James Brown movie fucking awful?

IF you do that, I promise to listen to this "Southern" whatever and do as you requested.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #29 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:18pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:30pm:

This is just retarded. That's 35 years of music you're clearly not listening to. Off the top, Go listen to "The Dirty South" by the Drive-by Truckers, read their wiki page and come back and say that. These guys opened for TBC on some tour and people *I* turned on to TBD went to these shows (I think maybe even it was FijiJoe) and said that the real musos in the audience watched TBD and then left the venue. 

And what is this? "And don't give me the Steve Marriot/Humble Pie/Rod Stewart/Faces crap"? STFU. If you can't see the obvious BLEND they were going for, then I'm not sure I even give two shits what you think about TBD, actually. AND, as I've said, there's plenty of good reason to rip that shit off. It's not my style, but if I had to work with a mic stand that way, I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything else with a mic stand than fucking pretend to be Rod. Who, after all, was just riffing James Brown. BTW, wasn't that James Brown movie fucking awful?

IF you do that, I promise to listen to this "Southern" whatever and do as you requested.

"This is just retarded". Because the poster likes the Black Crowes a lot?

"Shut the fuck up" about a poster's musical opinion on a music discussion forum?

Seems a tad aggressive.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #30 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:24pm
Wow. Are you going to go from thread to thread and censor me now?

For fun: He's aggressively telling people what to do also. "Don't give me the face etc. crap"? I assumed he was being playfully declarative. And so am I.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #31 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:35pm
No, I'm not trying to censor you, or go thread to thread. I'm sorry if I was out of line. Let's just drop it. Please

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #32 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:57am
Chris Robinson Comments on the Black Crowes’ Breakup
by Dave Lifton January 24, 2015

Matt Kent, Getty Images

Nearly two weeks ago, Rich Robinson announced that the Black Crowes had officially broken up. In a new interview, his brother, frontman Chris Robinson, revealed that the decision was due to what he said was their unwillingness to move forward as a band.

“It came from songwriting,” he told the New Times of Broward and Palm Beach Counties. “The Black Crowes don’t write songs anymore. They don’t think of the present or the future. I like making albums and playing concerts. I was sitting on two EPs’ worth of written songs.”

With the Crowes not releasing a studio album of new material since 2008, Robinson assembled the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. The group has put out three albums since 2012, with ‘Phosphorescent Harvest’ arriving last year. Robinson noted a difference in the approach of the two bands.

“The Black Crowes were a rebellion,” he continued. “This is a pragmatic reaction to how I feel. The only revolutionary thing we’re doing is staying out of the music business. There’s Olive Gardens and Red Lobsters in music. We just don’t eat there. We’re grassroots.”

Still, Chris’ statement about the Black Crowes’ stagnation is at odds with Rich’s statement, where the implication was the the breakup is the result of Chris’ attempt to establish himself as the de facto leader. He said, “[H]is present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100 percent of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to.”

Read More: Chris Robinson Comments on the Black Crowes’ Breakup | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris-robinson-black-crowes-breakup/?utm_source=s...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #33 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 12:41pm
So....Chris fancies himself the Keith in this situation and his brother is the Mick?

Just kidding. I don't really care.

But sadly, he's right. Music's ecosystem is badly fucked, and I like his Olive Garden and Red Lobster analogy. Though interestingly, those are two of the stand-out restaurant biz'z hurting the most during the rise of Neo-Feudalism. Drawing out the analogy, one can see where maybe there will be rich people music and poor people music and then, as I've been trying to get together for years, the time for tent show revivalism will come.

IP Logged

wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Reply #34 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 2:54pm
SheRat wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:30pm:

You're obnoxious.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:13pm
Right, but at least I'm not boring. Oh wait, sorry, what was I thinking?

wiseblood? is that you?!!?!?!

<  ----- Weeding ?!     ... Hashishin'  ..... ?!  Are you Hashishin' .... ?!   

Weeding ? ... Please    .... I's just's got's to's knows    ...... Are you Weeding ?!  Hashishin'... ?!

Is Hashishin' taking place ?!

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

SheRat'kins ™

{{{big fucking eyeroll}}}

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #36 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:58pm
Hahahahaha, c'mon guys, you can do better! This is why I'm on this board, especially when the Stones are not active. It's your turn Wiseblood, Come on!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #37 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 4:35pm
That Warpaint live dvd is real, real, real good!

They released a new album then had the balls to play the entire thing live and record it and release it.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2015 at 4:46pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #38 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:16pm
I tell ya, we lost a great band.

And pretty soon were going to lose our favorite band too.

Time to drink heavy or stop it all together, I don't know.

British Invasion, WHERE ARE YOU??????????????????????????????????

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #39 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:24pm
steel driving hammer wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:16pm:
British Invasion, WHERE ARE YOU??????????????????????????????????

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #40 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:58pm:
This is why I'm on this board, especially when the Stones are not active.

From the, what, week I've been back? It looks like the reason you come on this board is long gone.

Someone comes on, tells people what to do, tells us not to give him some xyz crap, and when I take up the challenge in kind, I got some buttsore whinge about how aggressive I am and the original poster, who threw down the challenge, calls me obnoxious.

Apparently the beta males on this board would rather read Joey's posts. Either that or can't take the heat from a chick.

Either way it's a sorry state of affairs.

IP Logged

wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Reply #41 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:49am
SheRat wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 5:29pm:
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:58pm:
This is why I'm on this board, especially when the Stones are not active.

From the, what, week I've been back? It looks like the reason you come on this board is long gone.

Someone comes on, tells people what to do, tells us not to give him some xyz crap, and when I take up the challenge in kind, I got some buttsore whinge about how aggressive I am and the original poster, who threw down the challenge, calls me obnoxious.

Apparently the beta males on this board would rather read Joey's posts. Either that or can't take the heat from a chick.

Either way it's a sorry state of affairs.

I'm looking for spirited conversation and not name calling.  You took it to the next place of internet ridiculousness. 

Why the fuck would you do that?  Bored?

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #42 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 8:52am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 4:35pm:
That Warpaint live dvd is real, real, real good!

They released a new album then had the balls to play the entire thing live and record it and release it.

Love the album and the band! I love DBT too. I love everybody!! smoking more weed is good for your health

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #43 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:18pm
Excuse me?

" I assumed he was being playfully declarative. And so am I."

Now, if my playful declarativeness is a little overboard for you, that's one thing and a matter of interpretation. Which is, of course, fine. But for you to ignore that I said I was being playful (which is what I thought you were doing), and call me obnoxious is well, obnoxious.

So who's taken it to internet "ridiculousness"? The people who can't read? Or people who post full of bluster and then can't handle when it's slung back at them? And create a defensive narrative based on being ass-sore and ignore available evidence to the contrary of that narrative?

That makes you #3 of the new blood on this board to have involved me in the retardation. I calls 'em like I sees em. Beta males.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #44 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Some Guy wrote on Jan 27th, 2015 at 4:35pm:

Actually, that is pretty funny. I also liked when they got kicked off the ZZTop tour for insulting Budweiser or whatever lame beer the sponsor was. That was cool too.

Blah. The guy's kinda an asshole but I do (and have always thought) think his heart's in the right place. He does love rock 'n roll. Though, I was never really insulting to the band in this thread anyways.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #45 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 5:58pm
Love the Crows
Hate to see them go!
Saw them 2 or 3 times always a good show!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #46 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 4:58am
Wait...did that Robinson bloke really state that the black crowes were a rebellion? That's funny. Because love them or hate them, this band did nothing but try to copy the sound and attitude of better musicians twice their age.

Their second album was nice, but other than that it was a Groundhog Day/Spinal Tap mashup for the Crowes ever since. Minus the good jokes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)