Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Rick (Maxmeister) © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RIP Black Crowes (Read 7,760 times)
god
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

RIP Black Crowes
Jan 15th, 2015 at 6:42pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
With an official statement from founding member, guitarist Rich Robinson, influential roots- rock band The Black Crowes officially announced the band’s break up. Founded in 1989 in Marietta, Georgia, the band quickly became known for their hit songs” She Talks To Angels,” “Remedy” and their cover of “Hard to Handle.” Their last performance was in San Francisco at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in December 14, 2013.

Co-founding member (and Rich’s brother ) Chris Robinson currently fronts his solo band The Chris Robinson Brotherhood which is slated to play this weekend at the Sunshine Music and Blues Festival in Florida.

The full text of the press release is below.

AFTER 24 YEARS RICH ROBINSON SAYS THE BLACK CROWES ARE NO MORE

The Black Crowes, the highly influential, critically and commercially successful band has disbanded, per an announcement today from founding member Rich Robinson. Robinson, the group’s guitarist and songwriter, founded the band with his brother Chris in their hometown of Marietta, GA. Their first album, Shake Your Money Maker, yielded multiple hit singles and has been RIAA certified as a multiplatinum (over 5 million) seller. Their follow up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is, likewise, multiplatinum and rose to #1 on Billboard’s Top 100 Album Chart. The group’s catalog also includes additional RIAA-certified releases, including the critically acclaimed Amorica, By Your Side and a live collaboration with Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page.

Rich Robinson released a statement concerning the band’s conclusion in which he states, "It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up."

His statement continues, "I hold my time with the Black Crowes with the utmost respect and sincerest appreciation. It is a huge swath of my life's body of work. I couldn't be more proud of what we accomplished and deeply moved by the relationships people created and maintained with my music. That alone is the greatest honor of being a musician. I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Robinson concludes, "There are so many people who have helped and supported us along the way. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of our fans, our friends behind the scenes, and to everyone who was a part of The Black Crowes.”

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1237...Have-Broken-Up

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."-John Adams&&&&"If your child needs a role model and you're not it, you're both fucked".-George Carlin&&

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Re: RIP Black Crowes
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 6:51pm
Influential?? Really? Anyone care to make this case for me?

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 6:56pm
They always seemed like an unfocused semi-jam band to me. Sort of a more song oriented Allman Brothers or something. Never understood the Stones and Faces comparisons.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 7:07pm
I mostly agree, Yeats.

Definitely Chris ripped off a BUNCH of moves from Rod (including his ENTIRE mic stand schtick, which is well worth ripping off, really) I *hear* the Stones/Faces influence, but do not think "comparisons" are in order...too derivative.

Having said that, a poster from over there---> literally monopolized almost my ENTIRE bar time before the MSG show at the Summit of the Century trying to convince me that they have work that rivals Exile.

Because, as evidence to rumors to the contrary, I am quite good-natured, I endured it. It was a mistake.

But my familiarity with their oeuvre is limited to that first record, which, while I listened to it when it came out, I still didn't re-buy when I lost the cassette.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:11am by SheRat »  

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Yup, the first album is all I'm really familiar with; one of my bands at the time was looking for a couple covers to play, and our door-knob of a guitar player really wanted to play "Hard to Handle". I couldn't stand their version - sounded like Foghat or some shit to me - so I played him Otis' original, and suggested that if we play it live, we should comp Booker T's feel.
He whinned and said it was too "mellow' or something. The bloody eejit.

And sure, I hear the Faces and Stones influences. Maybe if they'd been around in '74 they would have had claim as the 'poor man's Faces' (as the Faces were often called a 'poor man's Stones).
As it is, I just find them dull and lacking songs; good players, for sure. But Chris Robinson just sounds like Ronnie Van Zandt to me. Too generic, too white, too derivative, as you pointed out. Not a bad band by any means - just not a great one.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 7:48pm
saint sway?
brother?
you ok?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:11pm
I really enjoyed By You Side and Lions...those were really swell albums...
Seen them a few times, mostly in small clubs and once on the Brotherly Love tour with Oasis.

Oh well...reducing their 28 yr drummer to staff, that is just low...Jagger would never do that. He would wait 19 years to make the staff a member of the band

So the sheets get a wee bit closer to being pulled over the dying body that we fondly refer to as Rock-n-Roll.

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:05am
A glorified bar band at best. Fuck em.

Though I like Saint Sway and feel bad for him  Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint really?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:31am
The Crowes were a kick ass rock band and the shows were always very fun. Tickets were cheap too.

Southern Harmony is one of the best rock records ever.

As for being influential, they were to me.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 7:46am
SheRat wrote on Jan 15th, 2015 at 6:51pm:
Influential?? Really? Anyone care to make this case for me?

I can think of one guy who would try to give it a shot for you...remember that Turner guy?

Yeah I know...other times, other boards...but his rants on the Crowes stripped my of the last bits of sympathy I had for that band. I always loved the Southern Harmony album and Three Snakes And One Charm. I saw them live quite a few times too. But nowadays whenever I hear the Crowes they remind me of someone whining about a lack of recognition and think ''ugh''.

I remember several people buying tickets for their show because DBT opened for them at some point. Most of them left before the 'main event' entered the stage.

IP Logged

philgood
Rocks Off Regular

Cologne Area, Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 9:44am
The Black Crowes.
I couldn't care less about what these totally overrated clowns  are doing.

IP Logged

jaxx
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 9:59am
This is no surprise. Chris Robinson Brotherhood going full throttle, I saw them 2 nights last year in a tiny venue. The show was great. I like Chris Robinson. He's a riot...attempts to move like Jagger which is hilarious. Influential? No, not really. But a damn good time. Check it out.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:29pm
It was Turner who wasted my valuable bar time before the MSG show, Teiz!!! Turner somewhat soured me as well, actually.

Though I did have an insufferable bass player (the Motel Fresno dude) who swore by that Southern Harmony record...I guess I always felt like Crowes fans were simply Stones fans who just hadn't heard the Stones yet.

Jaxx makes the best case...a good time. That's worthy enough, innit?

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:59pm
My money is on them doing the usual "come back" tour in about 4 years when they need the $$$$$. They influenced me to change the channel when they came on the radio. Their first tune out was a direct copy of Keith's take it so hard.....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:29pm
They will be back at some point.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:37pm
I remember once, a long time 'go now, laying in bed hungover in the dark, lissening to the radio, and the rock station played first "She Talks to Angels" or whatever it was. And then the VERY next song they played "Tumbling Dice" and I was thought, "Qhoa. That DJ is mean!"

Still, there are worse things to copy.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 1:56pm

" I can think of one guy who would try to give it a shot for you...remember that Turner guy?

Yeah I know...other times, other boards...but his rants on the Crowes stripped my of the last bits of sympathy I had for that band. I always loved the Southern Harmony album and Three Snakes And One Charm. I saw them live quite a few times too. But nowadays whenever I hear the Crowes they remind me of someone whining about a lack of recognition and think ''ugh''.

I remember several people buying tickets for their show because DBT opened for them at some point. Most of them left before the 'main event' entered the stage. "

Teiz ............. ?!

TEIZ   ............. ?!

Is that really YOU ?!

Man , where in the FRIG have you been these past forty - three years ?!  One thing about you Teiz was that you were ALWAYS Minty Fresh and you sure as Frig knew how to write a friggin post .

Welcome Back Home Me Brother !!!!!!!!

" Best Stones YET !!!! , .......... Ronnie ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky ®

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:17pm
The Torch of Rock and Roll has been blown out...

As I've said before, this world needs another British Invasion...

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:16pm
No shits given here.

Hey, SheRat, nice you popped up.  Your "over there ------>" reference brings me back.   really?

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:18pm by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Hi Zack!! It's good to be here. It's good to be anywhere.

D'oh!

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:31pm
LOL I totally forgot about your encounter with Turner during the MSG pre-show get-together. We had a few laughs over that in Amsterdam.

It was an amusing story for me, but there's an ocean between me and that dude's Crowes rants.

Oh well..it may have ruined your summit but it makes a good story years later. And truth be told I was pretty pissed about that fact that I missed out on that event.

Still..I would never have dreamed that you were polite enough to keep listening.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:31am:
The Crowes were a kick ass rock band and the shows were always very fun. Tickets were cheap too.

Southern Harmony is one of the best rock records ever.

As for being influential, they were to me.

Agreed.  You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:14pm
I will also swear by Southern Harmony. One of the best rock n roll records of the 90s, by all accounts.

But putting the Crowes up there with the best ever makes me sniggle. Great bar band, but that's it.

Besides, the Robinson brothers break up once every few years and then get back together - they're due, no?

shall I continue? oh....ok

shit...what am I getting myself into? might be easier to find a stones song that the crowes didn't cover....

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #23 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:41am
Starbuck wrote on Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:14pm:
shit...what am I getting myself into? might be easier to find a stones song that the crowes didn't cover....

If I were drunk in a hotel room with ANYONE ELSE except my mother right now, I would indulge how I kinda feel bad for you that you went through all that trouble and I would play them all. But at this rate, I don't see that ever happening.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #24 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:20am
Stones versions or Black Crowes you'd play? Your ma could prolly tolerate those nice laid back Robinson boys' approach; those filthy degenerate Rolling Stones have a fairly shocking vibe though...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)