Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack Tracklist Released: Features Beast of Burden (Read 2,764 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack Tracklist Released: Features Beast of Burden
Jan 10th, 2015 at 11:51am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Interesting stuff Ronnie! Interesting stuff Ronnie! Interesting stuff Ronnie!

'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack Tracklist Released: Features the Rolling Stones,

Fifty Shades of Grey is a love story. According to star Jamie Dornan, at least. So when the official soundtrack tracklist for the forthcoming movie — in theaters Feb. 13 — was released Friday, there was a clear theme of love across the song titles. Albeit, with a little freakiness thrown in.

"The love story is more important than the BDSM aspect," Dornan recently said. "I mean, we are going to tell a love story, you know, it can't just be what happens in the Red Room, that's not a film. There's so much more going on than that."

The much-talked about 2011 book by E.L. James is notably erotic, with the plot centering on a BDSM (sexual dominance and submission, roleplaying, etc.) relationship between main characters Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.

The most recent single from the soundtrack is Ellie Goulding's "Love Me Like You Do," which Music Times noted was "romantic" more than anything else.

"Shying away from some of the freakier elements of Fifty Shades of Grey, it's all about the uncontrollable feeling of falling in love and being with the right person," Carolyn Menyes wrote.

As you can see below (via NME), there are similar cuts to Goulding's that focus on the magic of love, but also a selection of tunes with a twist to them, so to speak

01. I Put A Spell On You - Annie Lennox
02. Undiscovered - Laura Welsh
03. Earned It - The Weeknd
04. Meet Me In The Middle - Jessie Ware
05. Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
06. Haunted (Michael Diamond Remix) - Beyoncé
07. Salted Wound - Beyoncé
08. Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones
09. I'm On Fire - AWOLNATION
10. Crazy In Love (2014 Remix) - Beyoncé
11. Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
12. One Last Night - Vaults
13. Where You Belong - The Weeknd
14. I Know You - Skylar Grey
15. Anna And Christian - Danny Elfman
16. Did That Hurt? - Danny Elfman

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack Tracklist Released: Features Beast of Burden
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Can't wait for this film to come out...so I can finally prove to wifey that I am not the only one with serious kinks and sexual/mommy/daddy love me issues.

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

Re: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack Tracklist Released: Features Beast of Burden
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 1:48pm
It seems Tie You Up (Pain of Love) or Keith's Struggle would have made sense to include.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:12am
I've been telling you guys for years that Beast of Burden is in Fred Claus. Best use of Stones in a Christmas movie ever. Check the archives.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:22am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:12am:
I've been telling you guys for years that Beast of Burden is in Fred Claus. Best use of Stones in a Christmas movie ever. Check the archives.

SG..I will take your word as I don't have the time to review your 10,000 posts for the evidence!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:31am
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:22am:
Some Guy wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 9:12am:

SG..I will take your word as I don't have the time to review your 10,000 posts for the evidence!

you will be greeted.

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 7:30am
Hmm, this still will not have me running to the cinema...

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Chicago, IL
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:52am
Hypothesis: People who "loooooooved" Fifty Shades of Gray are the grown up version of the tweens who "loooooved" Twilight.

Discuss.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:56am
As Sgt. Schultz used to say: "I know nothing, I see nothing..."

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:09am
Totally had a crush on Hogan when I was little. But I think that's just 'cause I thought he was like Hawkeye. With whom I'm still in love.

[swoon!]

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:25am
Alda's great. Bob Crane was...peculiar?
'MASH' was great, 'Hogan's Heroes' was a fave as a wee chap, now I see it and cringe: oh those hilarious, bumbling Nazis!
The 91 year old guy sleeping upstairs I help take care of had to fight those motherfuckers in close infantry fighting in WWII. Grenade shrapnel to the head, later blown up by a mortar round that killed his First Sergeant and brand new radio-man who's name he didn't even know, stomach and hand wounds (2nd Lieutenant rifle platoon leader, ya know).

Sorry, I digress...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:32am
I have been wondering about exactly that experience were I to revisit Hogan's Heroes recently (for reasons that would be much too much of a digression). Obvs, as a child watching reruns unsupervised, I had no idea of the larger politics in play. Now I wonder, WTF? The show was in color so that means mid-late 60s, right? What sort of revisionism were they engaged in? For whom were they portraying the Nazis like that?

I will endure MASH without McIntyre and Henry Blake, but I'll complain the whole time.

Sigh. I was all dreamy about Hawkeye and now I've got to go wiki Hogan's Heroes.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:37am
Howe interesting is THIS:

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[60] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin, and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter), who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals; Jon Cedar played a camp guard.

As a teenager, Werner Klemperer (Klink) (son of the conductor Otto Klemperer) fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win over his Nazi captors or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Ironically, although Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play stereotypical World War II Germans, all had actually served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II — Banner[61] and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:42am
Oh yeah, here's food for Joey.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:11am
SheRat wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 3:37am:
Howe interesting is THIS:

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[60] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin, and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter), who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals; Jon Cedar played a camp guard.

As a teenager, Werner Klemperer (Klink) (son of the conductor Otto Klemperer) fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win over his Nazi captors or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Ironically, although Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play stereotypical World War II Germans, all had actually served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II — Banner[61] and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit.

Not surprising, really. The horrors of the Holocaust were still pretty fresh in the mid-'60s, more so in Europe than the US obviously, but for Jews who'd escaped or experienced it, the only thing to be done, I imagine, was to mock and ridicule the Nazi regime. See how enraged groups like ISIS/ISIL become when any sign of humor or mockery is pointed at them or their death-absorbed, nihilistic ideology. (btw - call them Daesh. They really hate it.)

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:17am
I said interesting, not surprising. More in the vein of the whole "WTF were the writers/producers playing at?"

Also, apparently, it was Emmy nominated 12x, won 2x and was also called the 5th worst show ever in 02 by TV Guide, for exactly the reason you hinted at: trivialization.

Just interesting. Seeing as how I don't remember much, can't really have an opinion on whatever it thought it was doing vs. whatever it did.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:34am
Oh I know, and I agree re: what the fuck the producers thinking? Big-upping the Allies and our ingenuity and cleverness, I'd guess. The beginings of "American Exceptionalism", courtesy of Hollywood.

Fact is, most American units were notoriously reluctant to 'close with the enemy' ( Von Clauswitz's famous "hallmark of good infantry" dictum). We relied on massive logistics and material, air power, and a nearly inexaustable supply of warm bodies, something the other Allied armies, and certainly the Axis powers, could not afford. Sorry dad.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:54am

Yep. Sorry papa!

I was reading somewhere the other day about how farm kids were preferable to city rabble as soldiers, for a variety of reasons, not least of which was differences in nutrition.

The whole sociology of like, what each generations' soldiers say about the culture at the time is so huge, complex.

why are all the dudes from MN on the board obsessed with military history?

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:09am
Definitely true re: country vs. city kids, and nutrition was a big factor.

For example, by the end of the first World War, the British Army was scraping the bottom of the barrel, allowing guys from the slums of Glasgow, Manchester, south London, Birmingham, etc. who would have been rejected four years earlier.

As regards post-WII: ever wonder why so many Brit rock n' roll cats of a certain era are so tiny? Rationing. Straight up
malnutrition.

Didn't know there were any other MN dudes here besides Starbuck. Is he obsessed with military history? Didn't think I was. Just fairly catholic interests I reckon.
I have been accused of being obsessed with music though. Some truth in that.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #19 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:54am
Fifty Shades should feature Beast of Burden sung by The Muppets.  Fozzie Bear seems appropriate.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #20 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:01pm
Spanks but no thanks..50 Shades of Boredom.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

SheRat
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago, IL
Reply #21 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:48pm
I have learned that this 50 Shades of Gray thing STARTED OUT as fucking Twilight Fanfic. THUS proving my hypothesis, really.

Discuss.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)