Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date) (Read 51,685 times)
wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Re: Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date)
Reply #250 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 9:56am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Have you all gotten tired of this set already?  Not much being said about it.

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #251 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 12:06pm
I'm too busy listening to it.  A real curate's egg.

Original album -  Obviously they had to include it, but the UMG remaster is still not as great as the mid-90's Virgin one.

Bonus songs - Underwhelming. A couple of essential inclusions naturally, but alternate takes with guide vocals are what bootlegs are for, not official releases. They are interesting though.  There should have been a full CD of this material if they'd bothered to dig deeper. Some people seem to be under the impression that the version of 'Dead Flowers' is a live version or a tour rehearsal instead of an actual studio outtake. Any opinions?

Live material - Just mind-blowing. It's simply up there with Brussels 73 as the best live music the Stones have ever released. That good. Even better than Ya Yas, perhaps. BUT - just giving us five songs from two  Roundhouse shows (which is an even better set of performances than Leeds) is an awful tease. Again, should have been a full CD even if it meant compiling the best of the two Roundhouse gigs to give the impression of a full show (which is what they did with Brussels '73). As it is, we have about 21 performances from the two gigs still gathering dust in the vaults.  Some of the performances on these recordings may well be the definitive live versions of these great songs (Live with Me, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, etc.  'Midnight Rambler' from the Roundhouse is almost as good as the '73 version which is, to me, the single greatest Stones live performance ever). These performances are  utterly ferocious and the absolute definition of what live rock n roll should sound like.

Video content - waste of fucking time. 8 minutes of teaser footage for an upcoming DVD release and a book doesnt justify the inflated price.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #252 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 5:02pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jun 11th, 2015 at 9:28am:
Egon wrote on Jun 10th, 2015 at 7:55am:
My deluxe box came today

as cut out figure I got bill Wyman half naked,
it's not bad but was aiming for mick completely naked...

LOL check this out

"The mini band-member cut-out that randomly came with my copy is of Bill Wyman, and I didn't want a Bill Wyman mini cut-out. Even with his shirt off."

Full article here https://www.straight.com/blogra/469861/stones-arent-playing-vancouver-super-delu...

OH GAWD! If I got that I'd fucking ralf! How big is that? That's hideous.

Imagine waking up to that with the mother of all migranes.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #253 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 5:13pm
Anyway, pick up my vinyl copy today. I've enjoyed the vinyl remasters, there sort of nostalgic in a kitsch sort of a way. Sticky Fingers has been the one I've been most looking forward to since I scored Let It Bleed way back in 04. Fingers, pardon the pun; (I honestly didn't mean that) crossed. What's next?
My guess? Black And Blue, but it isn't a big memory disc is it? Shame.
I'd would like to see that as a double disc reissue, vids included please Stonesgeezers.
Something like YOUKNOWWHOBOY'S 'Rags To Excess.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #254 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 6:41pm
I'd like to think that the most obvious choice for another release is from 1968-69. Theres a lot of overlap between Beggars and Let It Bleed.

I cant really envisage an expanded release for anything which isnt deemed to be a 'classic' album. (Even if some people could throw 'Tattoo You' into the mix, its an utter anomaly in the Stones canon as it was never a band 'project' in the true sense of the word - although as authenticity and historical accuracy arent really deemed to be that important in the context of these releases, its quite feasible that they could cobble together a collection of leftovers from about 1973-81 and deem it a 'Tattoo You Deluxe' )

I personally think a multi-volume collection of career spanning outtakes and alternate versions (properly and accurately researched and documented) released over a period of years makes far more sense. Once you get past the albums that most fans would see as their 'definitive' releases (some of which didnt really have much in the way of bonafide leftovers) it makes no sense to just stop there and leave the rest decaying in the vaults.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #255 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 8:20pm
I would love to have an album given the "Pet Sounds Sessions" treatment...vocals only...stereo...mono...studio banter...studio direction...the PSS opened my eyes to the Brian Wilson's genius a great deal.

IP Logged

wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Reply #256 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 16th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
I'd like to think that the most obvious choice for another release is from 1968-69. Theres a lot of overlap between Beggars and Let It Bleed.

I cant really envisage an expanded release for anything which isnt deemed to be a 'classic' album. (Even if some people could throw 'Tattoo You' into the mix, its an utter anomaly in the Stones canon as it was never a band 'project' in the true sense of the word - although as authenticity and historical accuracy arent really deemed to be that important in the context of these releases, its quite feasible that they could cobble together a collection of leftovers from about 1973-81 and deem it a 'Tattoo You Deluxe' )

I personally think a multi-volume collection of career spanning outtakes and alternate versions (properly and accurately researched and documented) released over a period of years makes far more sense. Once you get past the albums that most fans would see as their 'definitive' releases (some of which didnt really have much in the way of bonafide leftovers) it makes no sense to just stop there and leave the rest decaying in the vaults. 

It's too good of an idea for the people in the Stones camp to execute.  It's a lot of work and would be handled poorly. 

I think they need to stick to ridiculously simple, not-so-creative ideas - the live shit.  Those have been done pretty well.  I'm looking forward to the Marquee DVD even more than the SF box.  I hope it delivers.

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #257 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:07pm
The album is back on Billboard's Top 5!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6598303/muse-first-no-1-alb...

"Another British rock band, The Rolling Stones, re-enters at No. 5 with their classic former No. 1 Sticky Fingers (36,000 units; 34,000 in pure album sales). The album, which spent four weeks atop the list shortly after its release in 1971, has been absent from the tally since 1981. This is its highest rank since Aug. 14, 1971, when it was No. 5. The album was reissued on June 9 in a variety of deluxe, remastered and expanded editions, thus sparking its return to the chart. For charting and sales tracking purposes, nearly all versions of the album are merged together on Billboard’s charts and in Nielsen Music’s database. (However, one of Sticky Fingers’ new editions -- dubbed the super deluxe version -- tracks separately due to its additional extra content. It debuts at No. 65 with 9,000 units, nearly all from album sales.)

The Sticky Fingers redux is the third expansive reissue the Stones have released in recent years, following 2010’s reboot of its 1972 No. 1 Exile On Main St. and the 2011 reissue of the 1978 No. 1 Some Girls. The former returned to the chart at No. 2, while the latter came back in at No. 46."

Amazing results, the Stones chart span of top 10 albums is now the longest among groups with 50 years and 6 months; and I think they are the only artist on US chart history with Top 5 albums on 6 different and consecutive decades.

The album made the Top 10 in UK too at #7, their Top 10 chart span there stands at 51 years and 2 months since the first album.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #258 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:09pm
Another blast from the past making an all-too occasional appearance. Good to see you posting again, Soldatti

... ... ...
IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #259 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 4:52pm

Gaz, I couldn't agree more. I just have a nostalgic feel for Black And Blue, but have you ever heard what Kimsey had to sort through to get Tattoo You whipped into an album?
Don't get me wrong; I think Tattoo You is a terrific  LP but, what I've heard from the cutting room floor is just a mess, awful. There is so much great stuff from the Black And Blue sessions, even if they do have naff titles like Cellophane Trousers. Talk about the pants, (pardon the pun.)
By the way; the long piece you did on the Glasgow flight in 1971, the BOOGIE flight. Did you get that from David Dalton's The Rolling Stones an unauthorised biography from the Goodbye Great Britain Chapter?
That was the very first full length book I ever read on the band. I still think it is the definitive account on the groups first decade, brilliant! I nicked it from school as a kid. It is such a skilfully constructed, chronological trip through not just the band, but the whole of the 1960s.
But again I agree there is so much from '68/'69 that could be released now. That would be fantastic

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #260 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Its from Bob Greenfield's new book on the 1971 tour, mate. As serialised in The Guardian. I posted the link to it :

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/06/goodbye-great-britain-the-rolling-s...

I vaguely remember that Dalton book. The first Stones book I ever read came out around that era as well (although I didnt read it until about 1977-78 or so). It was by George Tremlett - went up as far as about 1973, as did Tony Scaduto's Jagger bio which I read just afterwards.

Tremlett's book here (cover is somewhat different now!) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-Story-George-Tremlett/dp/0860071286

Kimsey's piece on 'Tattoo You' is fantastic. Presume this is the one you mean. A great read :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/classictracks.htm

And getting back to the subject of this thread, an interesting piece on the Sticky Fingers sessions from him on the same web page :

While assisting on the sessions for the Stones' classic Sticky Fingers album at Olympic in 1971, Chris Kimsey didn't work on the centrepiece song, 'Wild Horses'; but he did nearly destroy it. Engineered on eight-track by Glyn Johns, the recording required more tracks and so Kimsey was assigned the straightforward task of making an eight-to-eight copy. With one 3M machine in Studio One and another at the opposite end of the building in what was then known as the reduction (mixdown) room, the trainee decided to make the copy immediately after the session ended, at about three in the morning, when no one else was around.
Accordingly, he put the master reel on one machine, loaded the virgin tape onto the other, checked all the connections, pressed Play on the master, ran the two-minute journey to the reduction room to make sure the correct signals were coming in, pressed Record, ran another two minutes back to the main control room, rewound the master, again pressed Play, and then returned to the other room to monitor the copy. So far, so good. However, after about a minute, the incoming sound slowed right down and ground to a halt. Trouble. Running as fast as he could to the Studio One control room, Kimsey duly discovered that the takeup spool was bent and stuck, causing the tape to wrap itself around the capstan motor until it stopped.
"The tape had wrapped itself neatly around the motor, but with creases every inch and a half," he now recalls. "I was shitting myself. I started lifting it out, incredibly slowly and delicately, and hours went by before, at around six in the morning, [studio manager] Keith Grant came in for an early session. Well, he took one look at me in a big heap on the floor, and after asking what happened he got a big, heavyweight iron — obviously not hot — and helped me press out the creases. It took me hours, and then I had to sit there and play the tape for hours and hours and hours to get the creases completely out. To this day, none of the guys has ever been told about this."
Why bother? After all, Kimsey hadn't escaped quite as easily a few years earlier, when starting his career as an Olympic tape-op-cum-teaboy. Showing off the copy room equipment to a girlfiend, he spotted an opportunity to impress her even more when Steve Marriott of the Small Faces popped his head around the door and asked, "'Ere, mate, can you make a copy of my album? We've just finished mixing it!"
At this point, Kimsey didn't even know what mixing was, but he was happy to comply. Putting the master and copy reels onto a couple of Studers, he set both machines in motion and then wondered why no sound was forthcoming. "'Ere, where's the f***in' music?" Marriott enquired. "It should be startin' by now!"
When Kimsey took a look, he noticed that he'd put both machines in record. A good 30 seconds had been wiped off the first track on the album. Yet, unaware of the work that had gone into Andy Johns's mix, he coolly remarked, "Oh, never mind. You'll just have to do it again." Marriott was less than impressed. "He had to go upstairs and have the song remixed," Kimsey recalls. "However, about five years later, when I was engineering a Humble Pie session, Steve told someone the story and then turned to me and asked, 'Is that guy still here?' 'No, no,' I said, 'they got rid of him ages ago!'"
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:33pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #261 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:11pm
I personally think a multi-volume collection of career spanning outtakes and alternate versions (properly and accurately researched and documented) released over a period of years makes far more sense.

Are you suggesting something akin to the Beatles Anthology parts 1-3 from the early-mid 90's?

That would be great!!! I think part 3 had the Free as a Bird single...the post-houmus Lennon track...alsomost like a Plundered My Soul...or an actual Brian single

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #262 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:17pm
From Billboard:

— The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers (Super Deluxe) - No. 65 — The Rolling Stones’ classic Sticky Fingers album was reissued on multiple formats on June 9, including a “super deluxe” version, which arrives at No. 65 with 9,000 units (nearly all from traditional album sales). The set tracks separately from the main Sticky Fingers album (which re-enters at No. 5 with 36,000 units) due to its abundance of bonus content. The Sticky Fingers redux is the third such expansive reissue that the Stones have undertaken in recent years, following reboots of Exile On Main St. (in 2010) and Some Girls (in 2011). Billboard estimates that the three remastered and reissued albums have sold a combined 606,000 copies in the U.S. since their reintroduction to the marketplace. That sum equates to 21 percent of The Rolling Stones’ overall album sales since the start of 2010.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6605235/rolling-stones-sti...

So, about 3 million copies sold during the last 5 years in the U.S, an average of 500,000 copies sold by year, only albums.

They have 3 albums on the U.S Top 200 this week:

#5 Sticky Fingers (63 wks on chart)
#65 Sticky Fingers (Super Deluxe) (1 wk on chart)
#186 Hot Rocks (255 wks on chart)

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #263 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:42pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:11pm:
I personally think a multi-volume collection of career spanning outtakes and alternate versions (properly and accurately researched and documented) released over a period of years makes far more sense.

Are you suggesting something akin to the Beatles Anthology parts 1-3 from the early-mid 90's?

That would be great!!! I think part 3 had the Free as a Bird single...the post-houmus Lennon track...alsomost like a Plundered My Soul...or an actual Brian single

Absolutely. I've thought this was the best way from day one.

I think its pretty obvious by now after the three deluxe versions they've put out that like The Beatles (but unlike, say, Dylan, Young, Springsteen etc) that the amount of unreleased songs in the Stones vaults which are complete and of releasable quality is pretty minimal. Most that fall into that category are cover versions. Its not a suggestion that they werent prolific - more an observation on the way they worked in the studio in that they would have finished lyrics and vocal tracks pretty late in the recording process and tended not to have a lot of finished songs left over once they had enough material that they needed (and in many cases - the leftover songs with most potential tended to get used on a future release).

So, a series of multi disc releases showcasing a lot of alternate versions as well as what unissued songs are of decent standard is the way to go, IMO. Yes, there are some albums where they did seem to have a lot of leftover songs - but they tended to be on albums that arent really feasible for standalone deluxe treatment. Who, for example, is going to be interested in multi disc releases of Dirty Work and Emotional Rescue? Best to have the good stuff from that era on an Anthology series.

You could conceivably do a release for the period up to Satanic Majesties (1961-67 - including the Little Boy Blue Demos), another for, say, 1968-74, then a couple of volumes covering the era with Ronnie, eg 1975 -85 and then 1989 to date.  A couple of discs (at least) on each one.  One release a year.  With minimal (and ideally, if practical, none at all) latter-day overdubs added.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2015 at 7:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #264 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 8:30pm
May I be the (unlikely ) first to say   You rock!

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #265 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:36pm
patioaintdry wrote on Jun 9th, 2015 at 9:22am:
Got the iTunes Super Deluxe. Won't ever listen to the original album as I still think the 1994 Virgin remasters sound the best.

Different takes of CYHMK, Bitch and the EC included Brown Sugar, as most of us have heard already heard, are nice to have.

The live stuff is fantastic and makes this release essential. Roundhouse is great, and as stated earlier by Gazza, a mighty Rambler to go alongside Brussels. But indeed, where is the rest of the show?. Having Leeds in its entirety and in full stereo along with the Roundhouse tracks is Mick Taylor solo heaven coupled with killer Keith tone. Nicky Hopkins up in the mix is also a big bonus - both versions of the piano driven Live With Me smoke.

You know what; your comment on the quality of the 93/94 Virgin remaster is bang on my friend. I tend to think a lot of people just get brainwashed into thinking; ah! new release, better quality. It's still the 2009 remaster anyway as far as disc 1 is concerned.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #266 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 1:18am
Gazza wrote on Jun 19th, 2015 at 4:27pm:
Its from Bob Greenfield's new book on the 1971 tour, mate. As serialised in The Guardian. I posted the link to it :

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/06/goodbye-great-britain-the-rolling-s...

I vaguely remember that Dalton book. The first Stones book I ever read came out around that era as well (although I didnt read it until about 1977-78 or so). It was by George Tremlett - went up as far as about 1973, as did Tony Scaduto's Jagger bio which I read just afterwards.

Tremlett's book here (cover is somewhat different now!) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-Story-George-Tremlett/dp/0860071286

Kimsey's piece on 'Tattoo You' is fantastic. Presume this is the one you mean. A great read :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/classictracks.htm

And getting back to the subject of this thread, an interesting piece on the Sticky Fingers sessions from him on the same web page :

While assisting on the sessions for the Stones' classic Sticky Fingers album at Olympic in 1971, Chris Kimsey didn't work on the centrepiece song, 'Wild Horses'; but he did nearly destroy it. Engineered on eight-track by Glyn Johns, the recording required more tracks and so Kimsey was assigned the straightforward task of making an eight-to-eight copy. With one 3M machine in Studio One and another at the opposite end of the building in what was then known as the reduction (mixdown) room, the trainee decided to make the copy immediately after the session ended, at about three in the morning, when no one else was around.
Accordingly, he put the master reel on one machine, loaded the virgin tape onto the other, checked all the connections, pressed Play on the master, ran the two-minute journey to the reduction room to make sure the correct signals were coming in, pressed Record, ran another two minutes back to the main control room, rewound the master, again pressed Play, and then returned to the other room to monitor the copy. So far, so good. However, after about a minute, the incoming sound slowed right down and ground to a halt. Trouble. Running as fast as he could to the Studio One control room, Kimsey duly discovered that the takeup spool was bent and stuck, causing the tape to wrap itself around the capstan motor until it stopped.
"The tape had wrapped itself neatly around the motor, but with creases every inch and a half," he now recalls. "I was shitting myself. I started lifting it out, incredibly slowly and delicately, and hours went by before, at around six in the morning, [studio manager] Keith Grant came in for an early session. Well, he took one look at me in a big heap on the floor, and after asking what happened he got a big, heavyweight iron — obviously not hot — and helped me press out the creases. It took me hours, and then I had to sit there and play the tape for hours and hours and hours to get the creases completely out. To this day, none of the guys has ever been told about this."
Why bother? After all, Kimsey hadn't escaped quite as easily a few years earlier, when starting his career as an Olympic tape-op-cum-teaboy. Showing off the copy room equipment to a girlfiend, he spotted an opportunity to impress her even more when Steve Marriott of the Small Faces popped his head around the door and asked, "'Ere, mate, can you make a copy of my album? We've just finished mixing it!"
At this point, Kimsey didn't even know what mixing was, but he was happy to comply. Putting the master and copy reels onto a couple of Studers, he set both machines in motion and then wondered why no sound was forthcoming. "'Ere, where's the f***in' music?" Marriott enquired. "It should be startin' by now!"
When Kimsey took a look, he noticed that he'd put both machines in record. A good 30 seconds had been wiped off the first track on the album. Yet, unaware of the work that had gone into Andy Johns's mix, he coolly remarked, "Oh, never mind. You'll just have to do it again." Marriott was less than impressed. "He had to go upstairs and have the song remixed," Kimsey recalls. "However, about five years later, when I was engineering a Humble Pie session, Steve told someone the story and then turned to me and asked, 'Is that guy still here?' 'No, no,' I said, 'they got rid of him ages ago!'"
The same Greenfield who first brought keith out of his shell in that fabulous 'Rolling Stone' interview in 1971? Oh! I gotta get me some of that. Thanx for the answer. Sorry I missed it for a few days. You're a bloody walking Stones encyclopedia mate. But hey, who's complaining? Cheers!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #267 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 9:17pm
Been taking in the bonus disc the last few days. Some thoughts:

Brwon Sugar is the same version we all know, but there is definitely some extra vocal stuff from Mick on the outtro. Could the famous boot version have a slight edit? Because the instrumental track is obviously the same.

Wild Horses is likely the same album track, though there is that missed snare beat by Charlie, I forget where...likely a different vocal from Mick.

CYHMK is cool, especially Charlie riding his floor tom; but not close to the album track.

Bitch is certainly an altogether different take; the horns are poorly mixed here, and they lack Jim Price's trombone overdub. Very exciting take though, Jagger's really into the groove and Keith plays and plays and plays...

Dead Flowers is likely taken from Keef's birthday party, i.e. the same source as the Brown Sugar version here. Great version, but Taylor plays too much over it, as I think he always did on this song live.

The Roundhouse stuff is incredible. Can't fathom why they didn't release the whole show. It's far better than 'Leeds Lungs' or the Marquee, says me. Better recording/mix as well.

Well worth my $15. Coulda/shoulda been a lot better/more interesting, but ya can't always get - never mind...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #268 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:52pm

Yeah! I couldn't agree more Gaz. There is so much from that period, Highway Child, Leather Jacket, etc. Do you know when that fantastic riff Potted Shrimp was from.
I thought it was from the Exile sessions, but I'm not sure. That would make such a killer song with lyrics. Still Beggars, and Let It Bleed sessions have an absolute treasure trove of unreleased stuff. But you are right about Black And Blue. Despite having a lot of great stuff, it is not classified as a bonafide classic, that's a shame, because I love that album despite the lack of interest in it due to it being released just before the British punk explosion.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #269 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 12:15pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)