Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date) (Read 51,667 times)
munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Re: Sticky Fingers reissue March 2015?
Reply #25 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 12:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Some Guy wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 9:40am:
any chance we will get a plundered type nugget that knocks our socks off?

My socks remained firmly in place when Plundered came out. My footwear was far more affected by I Love You Too Much...

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 1:16pm
munichhilton wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 12:51pm:
[
My footwear was far more affected by I Love You Too Much...

So much more than just a sniff o' the crutch (or lady-socks)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:07pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 11:51am:
Gazza wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:35am:
Meander away! We should do it more often.

I think 'Beggars' is seen as more of a separate entity than the three albums that succeeded it (no changing line up, all new songs, all recorded in a relatively short time frame), but I take your point. 'Sister Morphine' originates from these sessions, after all (although the version on SF dates from an early 'Let It Bleed' session).

I dont think there's much of a problem with ABKCO anymore. Jody Klein himself even specifically stated this in an interview in IORR magazine a few years back.

There's been a huge amount of co-operation on archive releases in recent years (R&R Circus, 40 Licks, Grrr, Charlie is My Darling, Ya Yas box set etc) and as far as I'm aware UMG are the parent company for ABKCO outside of the US -  I'm assuming that this new release will be on UMG even though the Stones' five year deal with that label has now actually expired.

I also think this is likely to be less of an issue in coming years. I mentioned on the Dylan thread today about another release for the 'Copyright Extension Collection' (which relates to officially releasing known recordings before the 50-year copyright expires, and therefore preventing them from becoming public domain recordings). This has happened with Dylan's recordings from 1961-64, The Beatles have done something similar and it can only be a matter of time surely before ABKCO and/or UMG are obliged to do something regarding the Stones.

Meander I shall!
Weren't Midnight Rambler and You Got the Silver also from those BB Olympic sessions? Brian was credited with percussion on Rambler and autoharp on Silver...

Thanks for clearing up the Klein stuff. I'd thought there were still problems or bad blood.

So why no ABCKO-era expanded releases? You'd think, since 2002, that Stones Inc. would be all over a Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed release. Those would surely sell as well (and to the same people) as Exile and Some Girls. Lots of potential stuff there:
original Memo From Turner (perfect as is)
Blood Red Wine (kind of weak)
Stuck Out All Alone (also a bit week)
Jagger's You Got the Silver (perfect as is, and quite revealing and maybe of good curiosity value to casual fans as the band's been playing the song regularly in recent years)
Keith's Gimme Shelter (that's one I actually wouldn't mind a new vocal overdub on. Again - good curiosity value)
Maybe clean up Did Everybody Pay Their Dues? (more curiosity value).
And of course Still A Fool.

Can't suss out whether these copyright extensions apply to unreleased stuff (as in unknown material), alt versions, covers, what all.

"Midnight Rambler" and "You The Silver" have Brian credited as playing OK - but they're both bonafide 'Let It Bleed' session recordings (Feb-Mar 1969)

I think an expanded Beggars Banquet would make the most sense of all the remaining albums from that era, even though a couple of the outtakes have been released on 'Metamorphosis' (which has 'Let It Bleed' outtakes too, of course). Agree that a BB/LIB set would be great as well.

Theres already some good alternate takes of the official songs in circulation from 68 and 69, so this is definitely one era where they did seem to finish a lot of songs as well as cut a few pretty solid alternate takes - and thats just the ones we have documented.

The way the copyright extension thing works is that they concentrate on unreleased material which is in circulation (or which they think MIGHT get into circulation). Technically speaking they could release everything they have in the vaults, but presumably the logic is that there's no need to put out stuff they have under lock and key which they're confident nobody has.

Once they release this material commercially (and its valid even if, as in the case of The Beatles and Dylan, they only issue a few hundred copies and then withdraw it), the copyright is then automatically renewed on those recordings for the next 70 years. This only seems to affect Europe, by the way.

I'll quote this post on the Dylan "Expecting Rain" site which explains it better.

In the EU the situation is as follows:

Recordings* made or released in 1962 or earlier are in the public domain, no matter what. That's why the market is being flooded with unauthorized copies of Dylan's first album and bootleg material from 1961 and 1962. And all those unauthorized early Rock 'n' Roll and jazz albums (on labels like Doxy, Jazzwax, Dolchess etc.).

The new European copyright law from 2011 protects recordings made in 1963 or later for 70 years, but only if the recordings were published within 50 years after they were made.

The law was passed in September 2011, but was only incorporated into the law of each EU member state by 2013 and thus only became effective in 2013.

Therefore Dylan's 1962 Anniversary Collection (rel. in 2012) was superfluous legally, but at the time of its release the legal situation was unclear since the law was in the process of being incorporated into the member state laws. So I guess Dylan's people went ahead with the release just in case (because of the legal situation being unclear they probably threw in a lot of uncirculating stuff, again, just in case).

The 1963 Anniversary Collection (rel. in 1963) on the other hand does benefit from the new law and its release extended the copyright of the enclosed recordings to 70 years from the date of release.

I think thats why the Stones released the IBC Demos from 1963 on the deluxe edition of "Grrr!" as those songs would otherwise have become public domain on 1st January 2014.

From the Stones perspective, unlike Dylan and The Beatles, there's very little material available on bootlegs from 1962-64. There are only a couple of audience concert recordings, and I'd presume the stuff thats available from official broadcasts are still owned by that organisation. (just checked this, and according to new EU laws, any BBC recordings from 1963 onwards are the property of that company for 70 years after their broadcast date - which means that all the Stones BBC sessions are protected until 2035). The Stones did release some BBC radio material (from March '64) on the "Grrr!" bonus disc. Presumably with clearance from the BBC.

That leaves the studio material. There's a sizeable amount of Stones studio material in circulation from 1964 - mostly Regent Studios early in the year and Chess Studios in June. From what I can gather, in Europe, that stuff becomes public domain in just over three weeks time. You or I could then conceivably legally factory press recordings of those songs - and the artist and songwriters wouldnt make any money from it.

However, the Stones still werent writing a lot of original songs in 1964, so they would maybe have less reason than Dylan or The Beatles in being concerned about the loss of royalties.

Then again, it's the Stones. And there's money to be made. I'd be surprised if they let this opportunity pass.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:10pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:14pm

A finished vocal on "Travellin' Man" (ideally done in 1970-71, as opposed to 2014, but beggars cant be choosers I suppose) would fit the bill very nicely, I think...

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:16pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #29 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:45pm
I love Mick's lyrics to Plundered My Soul.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #30 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:51pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 2:14pm:

A finished vocal on "Travellin' Man" (ideally done in 1970-71, as opposed to 2014, but beggars cant be choosers I suppose) would fit the bill very nicely, I think...

I'm in...

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #31 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:14pm
Gazza - cheers for the info, very interesting stuff, to say the least.

One other question about the copyright thing - what's the status of the so called "grey market" releases you often find on Amazon and the like? Springsteen's Main Point show from '75 is out there, as well as a famous Lou Reed show from '76. I'm sure loads of others. Those are both radio broadcasts, which you stated had a 70 year window.
Don't know if those two shows I mentioned were manufactured in the US or the EU, or whether there are considerable differences between the US and EU laws, but it just adds a bit more confusion.

But hey - maybe we will see those '64 Chess sessions on a grey market release! Three weeks and counting...

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #32 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:26pm
Looking forward to whatever they put out in March. Maybe they are still working on it. I hope we get a bonus disc with different outtakes, I had a bootleg with this stuff on it but I cant find it at the moment. There was a really good song that never made it to the album and lots of alternative versions of many songs. This could be very cool!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #33 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 9:11pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 8th, 2014 at 7:14pm:
Gazza - cheers for the info, very interesting stuff, to say the least.

One other question about the copyright thing - what's the status of the so called "grey market" releases you often find on Amazon and the like? Springsteen's Main Point show from '75 is out there, as well as a famous Lou Reed show from '76. I'm sure loads of others. Those are both radio broadcasts, which you stated had a 70 year window.
Don't know if those two shows I mentioned were manufactured in the US or the EU, or whether there are considerable differences between the US and EU laws, but it just adds a bit more confusion.

But hey - maybe we will see those '64 Chess sessions on a grey market release! Three weeks and counting...

BBC broadcasts have a 70-year window. I've no idea what the case is for broadcasts owned by other stations.

However, these releases are bootlegs, and are on bootleg labels, as opposed to the artist's own label (Springsteen has only ever been on Columbia/Sony). I've seen some of them in ordinary record stores too (ones that wouldnt knowingly stock bootlegs). I'm amazed Amazon turn a blind eye to them, to be honest. Even more amazed that the artists have done nothing about it (especially as Springsteen is now in the process of starting to officially release shows from his vaults, going back to the 70's)

I remember back in the early 80's there seemed to be a loophole for live performances of over 20 years vintage in Italy, and a lot of 1961-62 Dylan shows got semi-official releases for a time ("Little White Wonder", etc), but those seem to have disappeared in recent years.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2014 at 9:13pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #34 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 9:00pm
Interesting technical legal shit, Gazza. Like you said, if there is money to be made by The Stones releasing it, than there is the incentive for them to do it. I'm also inclined to believe that at this point MICK/KEEF are interested in preserving their legacy in musical history as well as making money.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 10:53am
I think its more a case of them not being arsed working on new songs together anymore and realising that putting out 'souvenir' live albums from every new tour and a greatest hits set every few years isnt enough of an alternative.

There isnt really a lot of money for them in albums anymore - nothing they couldnt dwarf with a couple of concerts (the recently completed Australia/NZ tour grossed $45.3 million in ticket sales alone or just 8 concerts!). They make far far more in merchandise than they do in record sales.

Its easy money fo very little effort, and as we've seen from the Exile and Some Girls reissues, any overdubbing or extra work doesnt even involve the whole band.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #36 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 11:28am
This could be real good!

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #37 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 4:48pm
They should have the decency to let Ronnie overdub a few of his parts...hell you can hardly hear him on the original LP

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #38 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 5:26pm
munichhilton wrote on Dec 11th, 2014 at 4:48pm:
They should have the decency to let Ronnie overdub a few of his parts...hell you can hardly hear him on the original LP

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Nora
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

alkmaar Holland
Reply #39 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 9:23am
I still wonder if this will happen. Guess they enjoy their holidays the coming months. and rightfully so.
is there any actual news on the release date...

Jeroen

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #40 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:01am
No 'news' on a release date confirmed yet. Just - as stated in the original post - an indication from Don Was that the intention is to have it out around March.

Thats only three months away, which would suggest to me anything that may have been added to what extra tracks they are releasing would already have been done.

Good to see you here, Jeroen.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:03am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #41 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:32pm
from Stonesplanetbrazil today (thanks, Andre Ribeiro)

Segundo a informação que recebemos hoje, a reedição de Sticky Fingers sai em abril do ano que vem. Além do disco remasterizado, será lançado CD de faixas bônus mais um DVD/CD do Marquee 1971. Um livro também será incluído na caixa. A arte da capa deverá ser a da edição espanhola. O lançamento ocorreria no dia 23 de abril, data dos 44 anos do álbum.

According to information we received today, the reissue of Sticky Fingers comes out in April of next year. In addition to the remastered album, will be released a CD of bonus tracks plus a DVD / CD of the Marquee 1971 show. A book will also be included in the box. The cover art should be the Spanish edition. The launch will be on April 23, the 44th anniversary of the album.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #42 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 1:05am
So 3 CDs and a DVD? Sounds fine. I don't think the Marquee show is as lame as some people seem to think (it's certainly better than Leeds, plus you get "I Got the Blues"!!!!; what was up in '71? Why such low energy levels?).

Just hope they don't try to charge $100 for the package. Hopefully Eagle Rock can do it. They do nice work with videos and seem to keep the prices down.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #43 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 6:18am
You had me at In addition to the remastered album, will be released a CD of bonus tracks plus a DVD / CD of the Marquee 1971 show.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #44 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 3:20pm
Mr. Yeats wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 1:05am:
So 3 CDs and a DVD? Sounds fine. I don't think the Marquee show is as lame as some people seem to think (it's certainly better than Leeds, plus you get "I Got the Blues"!!!!; what was up in '71? Why such low energy levels?).

Just hope they don't try to charge $100 for the package. Hopefully Eagle Rock can do it. They do nice work with videos and seem to keep the prices down.

If past form is anything to go by, it'll be the version with the book that pushes the price through the roof.

There's really very little on video from that 1970-71 era. The Stones did no TV at all during the 1970 European tour and the short British tour in March 1971 only saw two TV appearances on Top Of The Pops and the Marquee TV special (which was never shown in the UK)

All the TOTP footage was shot on the same day in late March after the Marquee taping and just before the band emigrated to France.

'Brown Sugar' was shown on 15th April (and again afterwards as the single climbed the charts to #2) and performances of "Wild Horses" and "Bitch" were both included on the (short-lived) 'album slot' of the show on 22nd April.

Both of these broadcasts have been long wiped. We do have that famous clip of 'Brown Sugar' from the 15th April broadcast - but its actually taken from a re-broadcast of the performance aired during the show's end of year Christmas Day special. Only the audio survives of the 22nd April show.

It'd be a huge find if they dug that 22nd April performance out for this release.  Hopefully Bill has it in his archives somewhere.

The Marquee gig is hardly their finest 38 minutes, but its pretty much all we're likely to have on video from what is their least documented post-Brian tour.

Leeds is a significantly better gig, but it only exists on audio. The BBC radio broadcast omits the first couple of the show's songs. It would have been nice to have got that one.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 3:30pm
This of course is the Spanish cover of the original "Sticky Fingers" album from 1971. The Warhol photo of Joey Dellasandro's bulging crotch was evidently a bit much for the Francoists.

The other oddity from the Spanish version of course was the removal of "Sister Morphine" from the album, to be replaced by the live version of "Let It Rock" from Leeds University, which had been included on the UK maxi single release of "Brown Sugar"

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #46 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 5:17pm
I'd like a Don't Be a Stranger type nugget.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #47 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 7:36pm
Maybe they'll release 'Hillside Blues'

Thing is, its a matter of public record that all (or most) of the extra takes of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses and You Gotta Move that they did at Muscle Shoals were erased, although most or all of those songs were recorded again later.

Personally, I'd expect them to follow on from what they did on the Exile deluxe and put out some of those Trident Demos (aka Bell Sound Demos) with modern day lyrics and vocals (eg Aladdin Story (So Divine) and Dancing In The Light) - so we might get reworked (and possibly retitled) versions of Potted Shrimp, Who am I, Leather Jacket etc.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #48 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 8:49pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
This of course is the Spanish cover of the original "Sticky Fingers" album from 1971. The Warhol photo of Joey Dellasandro's bulging crotch was evidently a bit much for the Francoists.

Ha! I remember seeing the Spanish cover in Roy Carr's book in '76 and being thoroughly grossed out. Still am. The Stones have a bit of a history of tasteless album covers, but that one really takes the cake; and conversely, I've always thought the Warhol cover was brilliant (especially the vinyl original with the zipper) - really got to the heart of the matter regarding the vibe of the songs and the band. Really hope the Spanish one isn't  the cover for the re-release.

So yeah, no wonder the Franco regime didn't like it -  fascists are always more comfortable with suffering/mutilation than human sexuality.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #49 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 5:24am
Spring 2015! We got that going for us which is nice.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)