Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date) (Read 51,687 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Sticky Fingers reissue June 8, 2015 (new release date)
Reply #150 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 6:19pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
leonid wrote on Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:20am:
Gazza wrote on Apr 6th, 2015 at 8:35am:
Worth remembering that a few of the leftovers from those sessions were used on "Metamorphosis"

What about these? Has anything ever turned up regarding these songs?

Toss the coin, old glory, silver blanket, etc..

Those three - no, unfortunately.

Probably unfinished, I'd imagine.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #151 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 9:32pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:22pm:
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:48am:
If 'Schoolboy Blues' isn't on this, I will eat a pair of trousers.

It's a fair cop, Gazzolino, or looks to be. If there is no hidden extra detected within 48 hrs of the 8th of June, I will indeed begin nibbling & chewing my way discomfortingly through a moist copy of the SF sleeve.

Perhaps your grumbles about old tracks being tarted up with (new) lyrics for Exhail On Moan Street & Some Grrls did in some tidsy widsy way contribute to the lack of more scintillating extras on SF Deluxe.

Not wanting to pass the buck or anything, but I'll need to momentarily blame someone if/when I choke myself rotten on June the 10th.

xx

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #152 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:49pm
'Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGcWTIWYDMQ

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Sticky Fingers reissue DELAYED
Reply #153 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:01pm
You can combine this thread...but I didn't want it to get lost or overlooked:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-sticky-fingers-delay/

SF release DELAYED 2 weeks

The Rolling Stones Get Their Zipper Stuck

Fans who have been anticipating the release of the reissue of the Rolling Stones‘ 1971 classic Sticky Fingers will have to wait a little bit longer. The band has decided to push the release date back two weeks to June 9 due to a wardrobe malfunction.

The news comes via the Stones’ website, which says that the delay is because “some of the formats contain a hand-made zip which is taking a bit longer to manufacture.” The working zipper will be featured on the Super Deluxe Edition and the Deluxe double-LP versions of the reissue.

Long considered one of their best albums, Sticky Fingers is getting the same treatment that the Rolling Stones have given Exile on Main Street and Some Girls. In addition to being remastered, the Deluxe Edition gives a second disc of alternate versions and live takes, and the Super Deluxe Edition adds a March 1971 show in Leeds and a 120-page hardcover book. You can listen to the previously unreleased all-acoustic “Wild Horses” here.

The Sticky Fingers era has been getting a lot of attention from the Stones camp recently. Earlier this week, they released a 1971 concert from the Marquee as the latest entry in their “From the Vault” series.

They’re also considering playing the album in its entirety on their upcoming ZIP Code Tour, with Mick Jagger saying, “It’s got quite a few slow songs on it. Maybe it’ll work; you gotta see.” But if they do, it will be without the involvement of Mick Taylor, who played on the original album and has been a featured guest on their recent tours.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Re: Sticky Fingers reissue DELAYED
Reply #154 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:31pm
OK, fine. And glad to know the Marquee package is already out.

Does everyone who comes into contact with the Stones become an idiot overnight?

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Sticky Fingers reissue DELAYED
Reply #155 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Posted it a couple of days ago and updated the SF thread title to show the new release date, but thanks for the article.

Will splice the two threads.

The Marquee DVD was of course only 'announced' last week - not 'released'.

... ... ...
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #156 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:45pm
at least there were no billboards

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #157 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 8:15pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:37pm:
Posted it a couple of days ago and updated the SF thread title to show the new release date, but thanks for the article.

I have been away a few days...

mojoman wrote on Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:45pm:

GOLD...comedy GOLD!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #158 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 8:30pm
mojoman wrote on Apr 11th, 2015 at 7:45pm:

LOL...brilliant.

Wait til you hear how many pre-sales there are though.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #159 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 8:38pm
I predict the Marquee set will outsell Taylor Swifts latest.

Ya know - with the upcoming tour, Sticky Fingers re-release and the general enthusiasm for the Stones these days.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #160 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 9:29pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 5:12pm:
MRD8 wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 2:15pm:
Wasn't it Don Was who went through their archives? Didn't he give an interview around the EOMS or SG deluxe releases where he talked about various things he'd come across? Or am I hallucinating again?

he did. He also suggested that the archives were in a real mess with songs from different eras next to each other.

It was actually COURTNEY LOVE who gave that exclusive about EOMS...she and a bandmate were in the studio with WAS and she was amazed at what she was hearing...I have no idea what she was doing in there, but there was a video clip (you tube?) if I recall...and I dont hallucinate...much
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:23am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #161 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 7:09am
Having recently going through my studio bootleg collection, trimming out the playlists with stuff now officially released ect… adding the new stuff… I really like Gazza's idea of just creating a retrospective of sorts of unreleased stuff, and not trying to make deluxe albums. There's great stuff from GHS onto TY… maybe a a good discs worth or more. Even a few Some girls things missed. Jagger could decide if he wants to create lyrics and vocals for the stuff that needs it. Or leave stuff like Act together w/o vocals… I hate to say it, but do it while you're alive. Criss Cross, Living in The Heart of Love… great songs to kick it off… Travelin' Man too… Early working versions of stuff like demos that exist, just get the tapes and get them to a competent studio mastering person. The stuff they have from ER to TY is just massive… shit, demos alone could make up a disc… and wouldn't require much work...

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #162 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 12:42am
Yeah! I'm up for the unreleased stuff. So bored with a dozen or more versions of All Down The Line or, Lovin' Cup etc. Shit! Did I just utter such sacrilege? But seriously, like Keith said on Exile; "I don't like messin' with the bible." Maybe he was misquoted.

IP Logged

leonid
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #163 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 3:45am
Paranoid Android wrote on Apr 11th, 2015 at 9:29pm:
Gazza wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 5:12pm:
MRD8 wrote on Apr 7th, 2015 at 2:15pm:
Wasn't it Don Was who went through their archives? Didn't he give an interview around the EOMS or SG deluxe releases where he talked about various things he'd come across? Or am I hallucinating again?

he did. He also suggested that the archives were in a real mess with songs from different eras next to each other.

It was actually COURTNEY LOVE who gave that exclusive about EOMS...she and a bandmate were in the studio with WAS and she was amazed at what she was hearing...I have no idea what she was doing in there, but there was a video clip (you tube?) if I recall...and I dont hallucinate...much

1:55
http://youtu.be/SrVp7hQ18qc

IP Logged

72Tele
Rocks Off Regular

Western NY State
Reply #164 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 5:31am
Christ ! How many times can they re-issue, re-master , re-package these records. I've got an idea that starts with RE. Make a fucking REcord  When did my favorite band turn into the Beach Boys?  I guess the erly 2000's.  Who buys this crap?  It's the same fucking songs!!

He hit Dannemora with the weight of his world.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #165 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 8:14am
72Tele wrote on Apr 15th, 2015 at 5:31am:
Christ ! How many times can they re-issue, re-master , re-package these records. I've got an idea that starts with RE. Make a fucking REcord  When did my favorite band turn into the Beach Boys?  I guess the erly 2000's.  Who buys this crap?  It's the same fucking songs!!

Thank you. First we had the real momentum and energy behind Exile, then the let's just get this out attitude with Some Girls, and then the let's fuck over all our fans and pretend this is different than the original release and charge them an arm and a leg for it and make the live tickets insanely expensive to add insult to injury. I've never been less excited about any Stones release or tour.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #166 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 7:11pm
Don Was on the Stones and the Sticky Fingers deluxe  :

http://radio.com/2015/04/22/don-was-interview-rolling-stones-sticky-fingers-reis...

Speaking of the Stones, they just announced that they’re reissuing [1971’s] Sticky Fingers. I know you work on all of their reissues. Anything you can tell me about working on this one?

Unlike the other two that we worked on, [1972’s] Exile on Main Street and [1978’s] Some Girls, the actual outtake stockpile for Sticky Fingers is pretty much depleted. The stuff that didn’t go on Sticky Fingers went on Exile on Main Street. And the stuff that might have been left over from that ended up on [1981’s] Tattoo You. And a couple of songs that maybe didn’t make it on to Tattoo You, we worked on and finished for the [2010] Exile reissue. There’s a lot of over bleed—no pun intended—between [1969’s] Let It Bleed, [1968’s] Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and Exile, but particularly Sticky Fingers and Exile. There just wasn’t enough stuff that no one had heard before.

The thing that will make this one different is the alternate takes, like “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton and the acoustic “Wild Horses.” But they’re all just different versions of songs. The bonus disc is rounded out with some live performances. It’s a little different from Exile and Some Girls in that we didn’t go back and try to finish anything.

When did the Stones record “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton?

I think it was recorded at a party in the studio and Clapton was there. It was a casual undertaking. They have a lot of versions of a lot of songs. They always chose the right ones, by the way.

Even without bonus tracks, Sticky Fingers is such a classic.

I’ve often spoken with the Stones about one of the advantages of vinyl being that it was just 36 to 40 minutes long, and there was no tolerance for filler. You had to self-edit constantly. A couple of the records we’ve done together, I’d prepared 36 minute versions for them. I know we did it for [1994’s] Voodoo Lounge and I think we did it for 1997’s Bridges to Babylon too. Some of them, if they were 36 minutes instead of 72 minutes, they would absolutely hold up to Let It Bleed and those older albums. But those days are gone.

I think that Keith Richards came into his own as a balladeer during your era as the band’s producer (1994- the present). On Voodoo Lounge, he sang “The Worst” and “Thru and Thru.”

My favorite was “How Can I Stop” from Bridges to Babylon. It’s almost a bonus track because it comes way at the end of a record.

You once told me that you had to include “How Can I Stop” as sort of a bonus track because Keith already sang “You Don’t Have To Mean It” and “Thief in the Night” on that album, and Mick didn’t want Keith to sing three songs on an album.

[Laughs] That song, I thought that was their version of what Brian Wilson just did with “The Last Song.” I thought that was their coda when they did it. It was such a contentious album to make. And it was the last song that we cut. Charlie had a limo waiting in the alley behind the studio to take him to the airport to fly back to England as soon as we got the take. We had to get the take done. I remember thinking, “Wow, this is the last song the Rolling Stones are ever going to record.” I thought it was a historic moment.

But as it turned out, Charlie came back [later] and we recorded something else for the album, and 20 years later, they’re still going.

I think that “One More Shot” [one of the two new songs on the 2012 compilation GRRR!] would be a great final song.

The next line is, “that’s all I got.”

Well, it would be a good coda, if it is, in fact, their last song.

I think they’ll play until they drop, but I don’t know if they’ll make records anymore.

Will you see them on this tour?

Oh absolutely, I’m going to be in my hometown of Detroit when they play there, so I’m absolutely going to go see them.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2015 at 7:12pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #167 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:00am
If Don Was doesn't know if they will record again that throws a damper on our new album hopes I think......

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #168 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:58pm
First time I've read that some of the bonus material on the Exile reissue was actually material left over from Tattoo You.

Some of the historical revisionism of what is passed off as 'outtakes' on these deluxe editions is staggering.

If only someone would get access to their studio logs and document it all properly, like Lewisohn did with the Beatles' sessionography, Jorgenson did with Elvis and Heylin, Krogsgaard and others have done with Dylan.  Maybe then we'd have a chance of getting archive releases that are a more accurate and comprehensive representation of their recorded history.

It deserves a better legacy than the bewildering mess that it's currently in.

... ... ...
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #169 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 12:18am
Perhaps M & R's notebooks could be published - in gay binding - in 20 years, revealing extensive minor details from which a team of hard-nosed scholars could ascertain exactly which moment each word, idea, concept,  riff, groove, bass-line, middle-eight, demo, pre-lyric, lyric, re-demo, re-recording, edit, backing vocal, re-edit, lyric shift, mix, remix and master occurred, so that one could chart a ditty's evolution from, say, 1971-ish to 1981 or 2011.

Meanwhile, as long as Charlie's playing on it, all is more than good-ish in the world, surely?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #170 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 4:47pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:58pm:
First time I've read that some of the bonus material on the Exile reissue was actually material left over from Tattoo You.

Some of the historical revisionism of what is passed off as 'outtakes' on these deluxe editions is staggering.

If only someone would get access to their studio logs and document it all properly, like Lewisohn did with the Beatles' sessionography, Jorgenson did with Elvis and Heylin, Krogsgaard and others have done with Dylan.  Maybe then we'd have a chance of getting archive releases that are a more accurate and comprehensive representation of their recorded history.

It deserves a better legacy than the bewildering mess that it's currently in.

I may be reading between the lines, but I think The SG and Exile reissues both are TY leftovers, no?

IP Logged

Shattered Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Wasn't Lookin' Too Good
But Feelin' Real Well

Los Angeles
Reply #171 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 5:16pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #172 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 27th, 2015 at 4:47pm:
I may be reading between the lines, but I think The SG and Exile reissues both are TY leftovers, no?

Its quite likely that some of the Some Girls Deluxe stuff was, but he specifically mentions only that some Exile sessions were considered for TY and then used for Exile deluxe

The stuff that didn’t go on Sticky Fingers went on Exile on Main Street. And the stuff that might have been left over from that ended up on [1981’s] Tattoo You.

this comment though :
And a couple of songs that maybe didn’t make it on to Tattoo You, we worked on and finished for the [2010] Exile reissue

could mean either 'a couple of the songs left over from Exile' or simply 'a couple of the songs (ie from various sessions) that were finished up for Tattoo You were eventually released on the Exile reissue'

The Exile reissue contains material recorded for 'Satanic Majesties' as far back as 1967 (ie, 'Title 5'), despite Mick's insistence that the earliest material sourced was 'Loving Cup' in summer 1969.

I wouldnt be surprised if some, if not all of the basic tracks for Following The River, Pass The Wine and Plundered My Soul post-dated Exile.  For the SG reissue, "Tallahassee Lassie" (Hollywood, September 1978) and "We Had It All" (Paris, summer 1979) were definitely recorded some time after 'Some Girls' came out and are from the sessions that produced 'Emotional Rescue'.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 6:18pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #173 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 6:26pm
Thanks Gazza, after reading this thread I'm not even sure if this is real Sticky Fingers material, or just leftovers labeled as SF for the re-release. They r treating this like "Whatever". Thats a Jersey term for who gives a shit!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #174 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 6:38pm
Well all the songs released on Sticky Fingers - apart from Sister Morphine - were recorded after 'Let It Bleed' came out, so they'd all be material from December 1969 through to summer 1970. So they're alternate takes of Sticky Fingers songs OK.

They just didnt bother touching up any of the material they'd left off Sticky Fingers (as they did for the Exile and SG reissues) - part of the reason being that they didnt have much left.

Almost half of the 1972 release of Exile On Main Street was 'Sticky Fingers' leftovers to begin with, and so as they had to be a bit economical with the truth to describe much of the bonus material on Exile Deluxe as 'Exile outtakes' , the amount of material that overlapped between Sticky Fingers, Exile and the Exile deluxe bonus disc didnt really leave much for an additional disc of SF material - so they just used a few alternate takes or mixes of released songs instead.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)