Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
RIP Bobby Keys 1943-2014 (Read 19,542 times)
The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Re: RIP Bobby Keys 1943-2014
Reply #100 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 7:20am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Very sad. Because he was so close to Keith, many don't know that it was Mick who really discovered him for the Stones at least.

IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #101 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 11:53am
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 6:41am:
Bobby didn't record with Elvis or Dion.

I guess it depends on whom you believe to be credible. In a video interview, Bobby himself says that he played on  "Return to Sender" by Elvis and "The Wanderer" by Dion.

Bobby talks about the 2 recordings @ 1:27 thru 2:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvya5reIsc

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #102 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 12:42pm
Plink wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 11:53am:
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 4th, 2014 at 6:41am:
Bobby didn't record with Elvis or Dion.

I guess it depends on whom you believe to be credible. In a video interview, Bobby himself says that he played on  "Return to Sender" by Elvis and "The Wanderer" by Dion.

Bobby talks about the 2 recordings @ 1:27 thru 2:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvya5reIsc

I want to believe it's him on both recordings, but the lack of concrete proof leads me to believe it's not him.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #103 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 1:02pm
Also, many Elvis fanatics have shot this down, and Boots Randolf claims nobody but him is on the released track.

Now if there was some different version of the song, some alternate take or whatnot, that's a different story. But it seems like to me that Bobby was fabricating a story.

IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #104 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 1:02pm:
Also, many Elvis fanatics have shot this down, and Boots Randolf claims nobody but him is on the released track.

Now if there was some different version of the song, some alternate take or whatnot, that's a different story. But it seems like to me that Bobby was fabricating a story.

There is an alternate take of The Wanderer ("Take 1", by Dion and the Del Satins according to the youtube cover shot) and the sax solo is similar but not the same as on the famous recording. How would the existence of an alternate recording alter (if at all) your stance?

sax solo @ 1:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMLRAMANiM

Also, that was a pretty specific story Bobby told about Boots' absence @ the Elvis recording session. Like I said, I believe the guy and I'll leave it at that. You choose not to, and that's OK too. Peace Smiley

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #105 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 7:18am
Boots....Bobby....Tomato....Tomato....

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #106 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 8:00am
The more I read about the Bobby/Elvis recording, the more I'm finding that most feel Bobby lied. Those sessions were heavily documented, and there's not one Elvis "expert" who claims it was Bobby. Also, Bobby's claims about that session are relatively new - timed right around his book.

I found this on the same webpage as the info below about Dion. It's taken from a book called "The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos 1955-2011:

According to Ernst Jorgnsen, Bobby Keys DID NOT play the sax on the “Return to Sender” track. Boots Randolph was flown to Los Angeles with Scotty Moore and D. J. Fontana a few days before recording began and rehearsed the songs that had been chosen for the movie. Elvis arrived a few days later and would record them with Boots, Scotty, D. J., and some session musicians from Radio Recorders.

Who is Ernst Jorgnsen? I found this about him. If anyone knows Elvis sessions, it's him.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/24/entertainment/la-et-elvis-presley-box-20...

As for Dion, he's very active on Facebook and he has yet to mention that the supposed sax player on one of his all-time hits passed. I also found this bit on info, from that previously mentioned book.

From Dion himself:

“We had Bobby Gregg and Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar, Panama Francis and “Sticks” Evans on drums, Jerome Richardson—a monster player—played alto sax. Buddy Lucas played tenor sax and harmonica. Johnny Falbo played electric guitar on some of the blues things, and we had bunch of great musicians from the Apollo in Harlem”. Dion.

I hate to say it, but it appears Bobby wasn't being truthful about either recording session. To make it even worse, all of the sax players mentioned passed away BEFORE Bobby made the claims about playing on those tracks.

I feel Bobby lied about both sessions, as hard as that is for me to say.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #107 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 10:09am
Sometimes if you tell a lie enough times you believe it. I know from experience.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #108 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 12:19pm
I am all for people speaking their mind, but maybe this discussion is best for another thread and another time. Someone who gave all of us great joy died and the discussion is about if he lied about something. I'm not saying he didn't but this doesn't seem like the time.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #109 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 2:38pm
Wick, I hear you. That's why I said it's hard for me to say what I said. The thread has thinned out as the days go on, and the current discussion is about Bobby's resume. Plink and I seem to be the only ones chatting now.

I did the research and came up with some good findings.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #110 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 6:31pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 8:00am:
The more I read about the Bobby/Elvis recording, the more I'm finding that most feel Bobby lied. Those sessions were heavily documented, and there's not one Elvis "expert" who claims it was Bobby. Also, Bobby's claims about that session are relatively new - timed right around his book.

I found this on the same webpage as the info below about Dion. It's taken from a book called "The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos 1955-2011:

According to Ernst Jorgnsen, Bobby Keys DID NOT play the sax on the “Return to Sender” track. Boots Randolph was flown to Los Angeles with Scotty Moore and D. J. Fontana a few days before recording began and rehearsed the songs that had been chosen for the movie. Elvis arrived a few days later and would record them with Boots, Scotty, D. J., and some session musicians from Radio Recorders.

Who is Ernst Jorgnsen? I found this about him. If anyone knows Elvis sessions, it's him.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/24/entertainment/la-et-elvis-presley-box-20...

As for Dion, he's very active on Facebook and he has yet to mention that the supposed sax player on one of his all-time hits passed. I also found this bit on info, from that previously mentioned book.

From Dion himself:

“We had Bobby Gregg and Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar, Panama Francis and “Sticks” Evans on drums, Jerome Richardson—a monster player—played alto sax. Buddy Lucas played tenor sax and harmonica. Johnny Falbo played electric guitar on some of the blues things, and we had bunch of great musicians from the Apollo in Harlem”. Dion.

I hate to say it, but it appears Bobby wasn't being truthful about either recording session. To make it even worse, all of the sax players mentioned passed away BEFORE Bobby made the claims about playing on those tracks.

I feel Bobby lied about both sessions, as hard as that is for me to say.

Ernst Jorgensen is probably the foremost authority on Elvis on the planet and has published several excellent books on his sessionographies. He's basically to Elvis what Mark Lewisohn is to The Beatles.

Bobby was a lovely guy, but he was telling a bit of a tall tale on this one. He never played on an Elvis session.

He claimed that Glenn D Hardin (Elvis pianist) got him the session gig - Hardin never met or worked with Elvis until about 1970, and these sessions took place in 1962. They only lasted a couple of days for the whole album, so its not comparable to, say, a Stones session, where you could conceivably have had different people playing over sessions lasting for weeks and months.

Its only a fib, he's hardly the first or last musician to do it (hello, Keith!) and it ain't no hangin' matter. I actually find it quite funny.

Agree its best to just concentrate on paying tribute to the man.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2014 at 6:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #111 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 6:48pm
That's a fun interview, Plink. I've never seen it before.

Thanks for posting the link.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #112 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 8:55am
Sharing details about my brief meeting w/ the fabulous Bobby Keys:

I met Bobby backstage after a Winos show in ’93 (a connected friend had arranged for the passes). We were in an area with a lot of people milling about, but no Keef. I was hoping to personally hand Keith some photos I’d taken of him, but things weren’t looking too promising, so I was disappointed. Then I spotted Bobby standing in a circle with approx. 4 other guys (one of whom looked exactly like an older, short-haired version of Waddy Wachtel and was wearing some sort of makeshift yacht captain/naval outfit complete w/ cap - odd!). I approached the circle, made eye contact w/ Bobby, and he said “Hey there young lady! Your hand is empty – I think you need a drink in it!”. He was drinking wine & offered to get me a glass but I declined because I had to drive. I did ask him for a sip of his, though. Then I said, “I just realized I’m drinking an Expensive Wino’s wine!”. Yes, it was a dumb line… We spoke for a few minutes and he was super friendly and fun. I just wish I recalled more specifics about the chit-chat. After a while, I remembered the issue of my photos and asked Bobby if he would be so kind as to pass them along to KR. He said, “I’d take you to meet him right now so you could give ‘em to him yourself if he wasn’t sleeping”. He went on to say that Keith often falls asleep for a couple of hours after a gig (and there’s HELL to pay if anyone disturbs him) but if I hung around, he would introduce me to him when he woke up. Bobby & others were sticking around for Keith to awaken because they were then planning to head out to a French restaurant that was going to stay open late for them (still remember the name of it – “La Poubelle”). I declined to wait that long for the introduction (SAY WHAAAT??? - IDIOT!!!). Why? Because I was beyond exhausted from my school schedule and squeezing in travel to the show, and also because the friend who accompanied me was not a fan and was getting bored & increasingly cranky. Stupid reasons! I truly believe the fatigue had grossly impaired my decision-making. I left the pics w/ Bobby to give to Keith. I’m so glad I had the chance to meet him briefly – he couldn’t have been nicer or more charming, and it’s a fond memory I’ll keep with me. It still absolutely boggles my mind that I chose not to wait a couple of hours to be introduced to Keith Richards by his #1 Soul Brother, Bobby Keys!!!
‘Scuse me while I kick myself…

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:57pm by Plink »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #113 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:15pm
Since sooner or later both threads about Bobby and Mac will split we're gonna put the headers for both on both threads

RIP Bobby and Mac --> London 1971 © Keith Morris and 15th Annual Americana Music Festival - September 20, 2014  © Erika Goldring

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #114 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:18pm
The New Barbarians goin' nutz, 1979 (Mojo Magazine) Bobby with a Mexican Poncho... "not a Sears Poncho"

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #115 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 3:24pm
The first time I met Bobby was in the hotel the Stones were staying in when they rolled through Philly. I'm talking 97 or so. I had made friends with the bartender by hanging out there a few times BEFORE they came to town. He confirmed the Stones were booked there.

I was at the bar, and the place already had some hangers on. A chick was with Bernard at one end and there was me at the other. Up next to me walks Mr. Bobby Keys! He was holding a map of the hotel, or a map of something, and he was looking at it very intently, with a near confused look on his face.

I said hello and he returned the hello. "How are you?" I stammered.

"Fair to middling, fair to middling" was his response.

That was all for that exchange. Up next Ronnie and Charlie came through the room, and with them a change in the atmosphere.

The Stones were coming.

I'd later see Bobby just about each time the came through town. He was always very nice and full of smiles.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
8-23-12
Reply #116 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 8:11pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #117 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 8:39pm
In memory of John Lennon and Bobby Keys (here with Jimmy Lovine) - NYC 1974  © May Pang (from Bobby's book "Every Night's a Saturday Night)

IP Logged

Plink
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #118 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 3:48am
^^^^ great shot by May Pang - nice find!

There certainly are some great pics & vids here - thank you to everyone who posted them.

Here's an interview w/ Bobby done backstage in Chicago, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyEY28z9Jg

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #119 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 8:39pm
Since you posted the pic of Bobby with John Lennon,
Bobby Keys & The Suffering Bastards
Whatever Gets You Through The Night ~ John Lennon
Highline Ballroom, NYC
March 9, 2012
Sorry for the shaky camera action, but it was really crowded in there that night, I was with a wild crowd
Whatever Gets You Through the Night
http://youtu.be/7xhqIZTzd08

What is Life with Joan Osborn
http://youtu.be/QN8Krackfcs

Brown Sugar
http://youtu.be/dgbtb485OYc

Sweet Virginia
http://youtu.be/cfn_SzBa2hc

Live With Me
http://youtu.be/WSRayuSIrVg

and the best for last Bitch
http://youtu.be/a8xNm1A-BtI
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2014 at 8:42pm by Bitch »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)