Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones penned song for the Beatles that the Fab Four rejected (Read 1,139 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Rolling Stones penned song for the Beatles that the Fab Four rejected
Dec 1st, 2014 at 7:34pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stones penned song for the Beatles that the Fab Four rejected

Everyone knows the Beatles wrote a song, “I Wanna Be Your Man,” for the Rolling Stones, but Richie Unterberger's “The Unreleased Beatles,” which the author told Beatles Examiner is just out in revised form in an ebook version, tells that the Stones did the same for the Beatles.

According to Unterberger, Mick Jagger revealed the existence of the song in 1965. “A long time ago, me and Keith wrote something called ‘Give Me Your Hand and Hold It Tight,’ but the Beatles wouldn’t do it. They wrote one for us as well, called ‘Outside 109’ [possibly meaning ‘One After 909,’ which the Beatles had written years before and recorded at EMI in March 1963, though they didn’t release their own version until Let It Be]. We said we wouldn’t do the song until they did ours. So nothing happened on either side. We’re still waiting.” Despite Jagger's shaky memory and the fact the song was turned down by the Beatles, it was released by Teddy Green in 1964. You can hear it on this page.

The Stones themselves recorded the song in demo form in 1964. The flip side of the demo featured the song "You're Coming Back To Me," reportedly an early version of "Tell Me (You're Coming Back To Me).

The book details rarities from both the group and solo years. “It's hard to say how many pages have been added, since pages are counted differently, and look differently in ebook form,” he said. “I do know I added about 30,000 words. Since the original book was about 300,000 words or a bit longer, and the book in print form was 400 pages, I'd say the equivalent of about 35-40 pages were added. These weren't all in one section. There's additional material, whether in new entries or expanded entries, interspersed throughout the book.”

The list of items added to the ebook also includes the Paul McCartney “World Without Love” and “I'll Follow the Sun” demos, a Beatles demo of “Misery” done for Helen Shapiro, the “Sgt. Pepper” multitrack tapes, the McCartney home recording of “Indeed I Do” and the private version of John Lennon's “Love” issued on “The John Lennon Signature Box.”

He said the revisions will only be in the ebook version. “There won't be a new paper version, as far as I know. I got the digital rights back to the book and self-published that in the revised/expanded/updated version.”

Notable unreleased material, and information about same, that has emerged since the original 2006 edition of this book, as listed by the author to Beatles Examiner:

1957-1961, Now in circulation: July 6, 1957: Live performances of "Baby Let's Play House" and fuller version of "Puttin' on the Style"

Spring 1960 & Mid-1960: Separation of 1960 Quarrymen rehearsals into two separate entries, this material now having been documented as originating from two different tapes

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored: Late 1958: Hour-long private tape of Quarrymen, when they were briefly known as the Japage 3, recorded by temporary manager Derek Hodkin when they rehearsed at Paul McCartney's home

Early 1960: Recording of "One After 909" at Percy Phillips's home studio

1962: Now in circulation: September 5: The full version of "Kansas City"/"Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" recorded at the Cavern for Granada TV

New information: The Beatles at the BBC Sidebar: Update to reflect release of official 2013 compilation On Air-Live at the BBC Vol. 2

September 4: More information that's come to light about why "How Do You Do It" was not released; revelation from a recently discovered George Harrison letter that they were asked to learn two songs not of their writing/choosing before the session, not just "How Do You Do It"

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored: March 7: "Hello Little Girl," taped for their first BBC session, but not broadcast performance on television program “People and Places.”

October 29: Off-air recording of "A Taste of Honey" from live performance.

October 17: Off-air recording of "Some Other Guy" and "Love Me Do" from live television program “People and Places.”

1963: Now in circulation: May 16: 40-second lo-fi excerpt of performance of "From Me to You" on television program Pops and Lenny

New information: January 22: It's now accepted that the BBC version of "Beautiful Dreamer" was based on the one used by Tony Orlando on a 1962 single

July 10: It seems likely the BBC version of "Sweet Little Sixteen" was based on the live arrangement Eddie Cochran used during his 1960 UK tour

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored: circa late January: The Beatles entered a non-EMI studio to do a brief demo of "Misery," with different lyrics tailored for Helen Shapiro

1964, now in circulation: circa early January: Private tape of half-minute Paul McCartney solo demo of "World Without Love"

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored:

Circa early January: Private tape of Paul McCartney solo version of "I'll Follow the Sun"

1965: Now in circulation: August 15: Actual live line recording of Shea Stadium concert, different from the doctored one used for the soundtrack of the television special “The Beatles at Shea Stadium.”

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored: February 15-June 17: Clarification about the song the Rolling Stones wrote for the Beatles, although the Beatles didn't use it. This was an actual composition, credited to Mick Jagger alone. Titled "Give Me Your Hand," it was released on an obscure March 1964 single by Teddy Green.

1966: Now in circulation: Circa Early 1966: Home solo John Lennon tape of "Hold On, I'm Comin'." This is not universally believed to be from 1966 or even the Beatles era

August 19: Lo-fi audience tapes of afternoon and evening performances at Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis.

1967: February 10: Isolated four-track tapes of "A Day in the Life"

March 6: Isolated four-track tapes of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

March 20: Isolated four-track tapes of "She's Leaving Home"

March 30: Isolated four-track tapes of "With a Little Help from My Friends"

October 12: Studio outtake "Shirley's Wild Accordion," now available as soundtrack to the "Nat's Dream" outtake/bonus feature on the Magical Mystery Tour DVD

1968: Now in circulation: January 12: Alternate take of "The Inner Light," now available on the 2014 George Harrison box set “The Apple Years 1968-75.”

January 12 or 13: "Almost Shankara," outtake from George Harrison's Wonderwall Music, now available on the 2014 George Harrison box set “The Apple Years 1968-75.”

June 4: Full ten-minute version of take 20 of "Revolution 1."

New information: February 4: Story about lost John Lennon performance of "Across the Universe," taped during their visit to Rishikesh

1969: Now in circulation: January 26: George Harrison solo demo of "Isn't It a Pity," issued in 2009 bonus track on iTunes download of “Let It Roll: Songs of George Harrison.”

August 6 or 11: "Here Comes the Sun" with unused guitar solo, heard in the extra features of the 2011 DVD “George Harrison: Living in the Material World.”

Circa December 1969-January 1970: Outtakes of "Suicide," "Don't Cry Baby," and "Women Kind" from 2011 expanded edition of “McCartney.”

New information: July 24: Description of 26 outtakes of Badfinger's version of "Come and Get It," recorded in August.

Noncirculating recordings, known and rumored: Circa December 1969-January 1970: Three unreleased instrumentals from the “McCartney” sessions: "Rupert Guitar," "Backwards Guitar Piece," and "Cavendish Parade"

1970: Now in circulation: May 26-November: George Harrison “All Things Must Pass” outtakes, officially issued on the 2012 collection “Early Takes Vol. 1.”

Circa Summer: Private tape of "Love," issued in 2010 on “The John Lennon Signature Box.”

September 26-October 27: Outtakes from John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, some officially issued on “The John Lennon Signature Box,” some gaining unofficial circulation.

Circa Fall 1970: Paul McCartney home recording of "Indeed I Do"

October-November 1970: Expansion of various entries for Ram outtakes, now known to have been done at this time, some of which were issued on the 2012 expanded edition

Noncirculating Recordings, Known and Rumored: May-August 1970: Twenty-nine studio outtakes/home demos for “Ram.”

For No One: Beatles Compositions That Were Never Recorded

Discussion of a few other songs now reported to have been written in the pre-EMI years: "Calypso Rock," "I've Been Thinking That You Love Me," "Suicide."

Untitled mid-1960s song by John Lennon, lyrics of which were discovered on back of a postcard.

Untitled song by George Harrison circa 1967, lyrics of which were given to Beatles biographer Hunter Davies from a scrap of paper left on the floor of Abbey Road Studios

http://www.examiner.com/article/rolling-stones-penned-song-for-the-beatles-that-...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Re: Rolling Stones penned song for the Beatles that the Fab Four rejected
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2014 at 8:48pm
It's not not very good, pretty bad lyrics too, though I could hear the Beatles of '64-'65 doing it, maybe as a b-side.
Sounds like something that wouldn't have even made the cut for 'Metamorphosis'.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:20am
Lennon and McCartney were established songwriters a couple of years before Jagger and Richards even got started and had about half a dozen chart toppers under their belts before the Stones released any orginals of their own.

What few covers the Beatles were releasing by 64-65 were songs by American acts who'd inspired them such as Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly etc. Pretty implausible to think they'd even consider recording material by a couple of fledgling English songwriters whose commercial success to that point had come exclusively through cover versions.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:15am
Very true, I just meant that the song, as done by Teddy Green at least, does sound like it could've been a Beatles throwaway, to my ears anyway.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 12:05pm
It's sort of clumsy, but charming. Maybe it's the production, or it's because I'm feeling fine.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 9:01am
" Lennon and McCartney were established songwriters a couple of years before Jagger and Richards even got started and had about half a dozen chart toppers under their belts before the Stones released any orginals of their own.   "

STONES IS STONES BABY !!!!!!!!  ...... THIS THING IS BIGGER THAN ALL OF US !!!!!!!!!!!

" Hit Me Ronnie !!!!!  "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJacky Cakes (  ' kins )  ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)