Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
6-7 Ft of snow in Buffalo ~ Is LJ ok? (Read 4,999 times)
Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
6-7 Ft of snow in Buffalo ~ Is LJ ok?
Nov 21st, 2014 at 8:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Buffalo, NY is under a major snowstorm with 6 - 7 feet of snow, heavy winds and power outages. Is Lady Jane OK?  Please post if you can!
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:28am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: 6-7 Ft of snow in Buffalo ~ Is LJ ok?
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 8:39pm
I was trying to help a client up in that area today...could not get through.

There have been about half a dozen deaths reported...pretty small considering the magnitude of this storm ( and it wasn't even a blizzard).
I have a lake cottage up there that had NO SNOW ( about 100 miles away).

reports are that most is OK up there...just hunkering down a bit earlier than the norm for a storm of these proportions..

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 8:39pm
LJ you ok?
do we have to send joey to the rescue?
the bills even left town!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000431936/article/snowmobiles-pick-up-buffa...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:09pm
Yeah LJ is good. On her Facebook page she said that the worst of it missed her. She's riding it out in style. With some Stones and a couple beverages.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Let's go get drunk smoking more weed is good for your health Who stole this one? (Seriously)

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:28pm
Holy fucking Christ!  That's a boat-ass load of snow.  You won't see snow like that in the Promised Land!  Well, I hope Buffsteranians were able to stock up beforehand at the liquor store and/or their narcotics dealer.  I mean, good grief!  Full boat.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

72Tele
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Western NY State
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:52pm
I live in East Aurora NY about 15 miles south of Buffalo. 72 inches in 3 days. That's not a typo. Other than running out of weed this morning it's been no big deal. It's not like most horrible natural disasters. You basically sit home eat , watch TV and anything else you can think to do at home. It's stops then you go shovel. No biggie. But 72" is off the charts.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:05pm by 72Tele »  

He hit Dannemora with the weight of his world.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 12:40am
72Tele wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:52pm:
I live in East Aurora NY about 15 miles south of Buffalo. 72 inches in 3 days. That's not a typo. Other than running out of weed this morning it's been no big deal. It's not like most horrible natural disasters. You basically sit home eat , watch TV and anything else you can think to do at home. It's stops then you go shovel. No biggie. But 72" is off the charts.

You make it seem like a vacation.  Now I want to get snow biffed.  So you don't even have to report back?

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:17am

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:23am
That's too damn much snow!  Yuck!

Stay safe LJ and everyone else.  Have a few drinks, make some soup and stay warm.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:32am
Buffalo.  Buff-job.  The home of wings, O.J. Simpson, and glorious cocaine.  When you think of Buffalo and snow together, you can't help but picture ladels, dradles and goblets filled with cocaine.  Yeah!  Moar cocaine!  Some Buff-ass cocaine!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:55am
I'm fine!!! Thank you SO much for this thread Ellen!!!!

I live just North of Downtown Buffalo and we were spared.
I have lived here my entire life and have never seen a storm like this one. While it was sunny Downtown, our Southtowns were getting pummeled. And the band of snow wouldn't move. It just stayed over the same area for hours and hours and hours.

I believe we are up to 13 deaths so far and the damage is far from over.
Roofs are in danger of collapsing and now the temps are heading up so flooding has become a major concern.

But as with all tragedies, the people of Western New York have been amazing. We are the City of Good Neighbors and there have been uplifting stories of kindness and strangers helping strangers.

Many are managing to make the best of it.

A few pics:

--Shoveling roofs!!!

--Volunteers sign up to start shoveling the areas that need it most!

--Beer shelfs are empty!!!!

--The right idea!!!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 12:05pm
Glad you are OK LJ and be careful shoveling!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:04pm
I've heard from so many of my Stonesian friends from all over the world. I'm very grateful for the concern.

Now this person has the right attitude. I'd like to think this is a Stones fan

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:25pm
Glad to know you are riding things out LJ. Buffalo is one of my fave spots and hope everyone else will be OK.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 4:16pm
Where are all the alleged global warmists now?  Seven feet of snow on South Buff.  Haw!  Residents will be borrowing out of that like sausage rats!

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 5:03pm
Glad to hear you are ok LJ.  What a mess! That makes the blizzards we get in the midwest look like a tea party.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:23pm
LadyJane wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:04pm:
I've heard from so many of my Stonesian friends from all over the world. I'm very grateful for the concern.

Now this person has the right attitude. I'd like to think this is a Stones fan

Rock on LJ!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:41am
While I am okay, many had very close calls. This is one story that could have ended tragically but didn't. Take a minute to read it and just imagine what this woman went through.

Engulfed in snow, stranded motorist ‘felt like I was underground, buried in a casket’

At one point during her 13-hour ordeal, Karen Rossi got out a pen and paper and wrote farewell letters to her two daughters.

Her car became stuck in a snowbank at Transit Road and William Street in Lancaster, not far from home. A passing plow pushed her farther into the snowbank, and then the intense lake-effect storm completely buried the blue Chevy Cobalt.

Rossi couldn’t tell if it was day or night from inside the car.

“It felt like I was underground, buried in a casket,” she said. “It was surreal. It was just silent for hours. Nobody came. And my phone had died. I couldn’t charge it because I’d taken my daughter’s car to work.”

Rossi’s daughter had just cleaned the car, removing blankets, clothing and other items that might have come in handy.

As the hours went by, she became wet from trying to dig her way to daylight and her car was running out of fuel. As someone who had worked in an emergency room, she knew it didn’t look good.

Only a passing motorist prevented her from becoming yet another driver who died in a snow-buried car.

She credits him with saving her life.

Rossi had started out at 3 a.m. Tuesday from Mercy Hospital in South Buffalo, where she works as a pharmacy technician, for her home in Lancaster. Ordinarily, she would have left much earlier, but she put in an extra shift when the night technician couldn’t make it in.

“On a clear road, it takes me 20-plus minutes to get home,” she said, “but I didn’t get far before I started getting stuck. There always seemed to be someone behind me to push me out.”

At Transit and William, however, she had no such luck. In fact, her luck turned worse with the snowplow and more snow. She stayed in the car, and before her phone died, she called her daughter, who advised her to keep the car’s tailpipe clear of snow so she could run the engine to keep warm without poisoning herself with carbon monoxide.

“I kept watching the news, and it was freaking me out,” said Madelyn Rossi, 17. “I called my mother and told her she had to dig out the tailpipe so it doesn’t get clogged.”

Karen Rossi couldn’t open the car door.

“So I rolled the window down and used a sweatshirt to dig along the car to make a tunnel to keep the tailpipe clear,” she said. “Every hour and a half, I would go back. The tunnel would collapse, and I’d have to dig again.”

As her phone battery began to run out, she texted her daughter repeatedly, telling her, “My phone’s going to die. I love you.”

Eventually, Rossi decided she had to try to attract attention to her plight.

Once again, she climbed out through the car window. This time she dug upward with the sweatshirt and a snow brush.

“I finally got up to where I could see the sky,” she said. “I was standing on the window frame, but I couldn’t see out. I started waving the bright red snow brush. Little did I know, there was no one coming.”

She climbed back down into the front seat and waited.

“Sitting in the car, it’s funny what you think about,” she said. “You get punchy. You realize the magnitude of the situation. You never think this is the way you’re going to pass away. I started to think about my life and my family and my daughters.”

Rossi, who just turned 47, found a scrap of paper in her purse, tore it in half and started farewell notes to her daughters.

“I wrote letters to both of them,” she said.

Although she was wet, cold and exhausted, she continued to climb out the window, crawl her way up and wave the red snow brush out of the hole in the snowbank, hoping it would attract someone’s attention. Finally, it did.

“He saw me because I had decided to crawl out the window and started digging up and finally broke through with the red snow brush,” she said. “I waved that forever. My arm would get sore, and I would stop, and then start again.”

Then she heard a voice.

“I see you, I’m going to get you out,” a man’s voice yelled out. “I have a shovel.”

She realized she was going to make it.

“You get this shot of adrenalin,” she said.

The voice belonged to David Edwards, who was en route home from his job with the railroad.

“He climbed over everything. He dug me out,” she said. “He pulled me over the snowbank and put me in his truck. He had a big black monster truck thing with heated seats. He would never get stuck.

“I was disoriented and soaking wet and freezing cold. He stayed with me and he talked with me. I kept realizing he didn’t have to do any of this stuff, but he was just an amazing person. I’m so thankful that God sent him.”

Finding the street into Rossi’s housing development blocked with deep snow, Edwards drove her to his home in the Village of Lancaster, stopping to help motorists in distress along the way.

“He kept asking, ‘Do you mind if I help this one get out?’ ” she said. “He must have helped four other people.”

After getting Rossi dried and warmed at his house, Edwards tried again to take her home. The closest he could get was a friend’s house in a neighboring development, where a path had been opened. She stayed there overnight.

“Just having pajamas and warm, dry socks,” she said, “it felt like heaven.”

She eventually got home Wednesday afternoon, and later calculated that she was buried in snow from 3 a.m. Tuesday to 4 p.m. that afternoon.

“I’ll never think about things the same. I made so many promises to myself in the car. I’ll never sweat the small stuff again,” she said.

When the mother and daughter were reunited, both were overcome with emotion.

“We burst into tears and hugged each other,” Madelyn said.

And the farewell letters she wrote to her daughters?

“My kids don’t even want to see them,” Rossi said, because they don’t want to think about losing her.

But Rossi is keeping the two notes, thinking that some day her daughters may want to read what she once believed would be her last words.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 8:55am
The Niagra U Girls basketball team that was trapped on their bus for 30 hours was pretty crazy.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 9:13am

" I LIKE THIS !!!!!   "   ... Thanks Fred .

Goats Head Soup is one of the Greatest Stones' Albums of all time !!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:28am
Jesus (The Lord) never saw any snow like in South Buffalo.  Black man, spinning his sandals in the desert for 40 years (see Matthew 40:1-11), nary a snowflake did Him witness.  Nary a one.  It is clear that Him had no concept of snow, which sure explains a lot, does it not?

IP Logged

72Tele
Rocks Off Regular

Western NY State
Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 2:26pm
The very first picture above the volunteers while not a phony or photoshopped is not from Buffalo. It's from a ski resort in the Austrian Alps. As for the lady stuck in  the car living in this area she should know better. Always have a survival bag in the trunk of car, always have the car gassed up,always have a phone charger and watch the weather forecast  Everything pretty much back to normal in my lovely villiage of East Aurora. A years worth of snow in 3 days. No biggie back to work tomorrow.  WNY is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit. Cheers!!

He hit Dannemora with the weight of his world.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #22 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 5:20pm
Best Wishes to all!
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2014 at 5:21pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #23 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:14pm
"   .Jesus (The Lord) never saw any snow like in South Buffalo.  Black man, spinning his sandals in the desert for 40 years (see Matthew 40:1-11), nary a snowflake did Him witness.  Nary a one.  It is clear that Him had no concept of snow, which sure explains a lot, does it not  ?  "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:39pm
"The very first picture above the volunteers while not a phony or photoshopped is not from Buffalo. It's from a ski resort in the Austrian Alps."

My mistake. Plenty more though like this one:

And as for the woman stuck in the car, "coulda, woulda, shoulda" just seems a bit insensitive at a time like this. I'm sure she'll be better prepared in the future unless of course the PTSD she's sure to experience keeps her from driving in the snow for a long time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)